Powernoise, Noise, Dark Ambient...

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

demute

Powernoise, Noise, Dark Ambient...

Postby demute » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 am UTC

Just got curious, am I the only one who is listening to the genres mentioned in the topic?
Some artists I like is...
* antigen shift, hypnoskull, winterkälte, iszoloscope....
* sophia, lustmord, raison d'etre, herbst9, bad sector....
* stratvm terror, stahlwerk9, navicon torture technologies, survival unit...

so... anyone? :)

ChocloManx

Re: Powernoise, Noise, Dark Ambient...

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Does the album "No Pussyfooting" by Brian Eno and Robert Fripp count as "dark ambient"?

Cause it's the only ambient I've ever heard.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 am UTC

Hot damn!

I tend to prefer the minimalistic Noise like Brighter Death Now, Genocide Organ, and Atrax Morgue, I'm trying to find some good harsh stuff though, any recommendations?

Have you tried Roto Visage? They've got some pretty decent Dark Ambient, and Murderous Visions does some pretty neat martial ambient.

Sewer Goddess makes some pretty good Noise as well. Have you heard any of Sutcliffe Jugend's work, if so, could you recommend me any particular albums?

Also, you didn't mention Les Joyaux De La Princesse. If you haven't heard of them feel ashamed.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am UTC

does Mz 412 count? becuase they are gorram fantastic.
aside from that, i listen to scraps of merzbow and some borderline noise/noise-metal stuff (HALO, KTL, Khlyst, Khanate). I like them a lot.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

I'm definitely going to look those up.

xooll

Postby xooll » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

Hmm, seems like I have a bit of this around here somewhere...
Ratatoeskr, that's what it is. I'm not entirely sure that this is the same sort of stuff you're talking about, but you might like it anyway.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Cai

Postby Cai » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

I like noise, like Hella, Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, Boredoms, Yellow Swans, Liars, pretty mainstream noise stuff, I guess.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Eitel

Postby Eitel » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:47 am UTC

Lightning Bolts a good one, Death From Above 1979 are another loud drum and bass band although somewhat more alt rock oriented that may not suit your request.

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:51 am UTC

Incapacitants are one of my favorites of all time, and CCCC just released some new jams for the first time in ages.

The Merzbow and Genesis P. Orridge collab "A Perfect Pain" is stellar and one of two times music has actually made me afraid.

The other time was listening to The Conet Project alone at night. http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/ is where you can download it for free from the label, but the box set is worth picking up for the booklet it comes with. Using one time pads and shortwave radio, governments, intelligence agencies and drug cartels broadcast strings of encrypted messages carrying instructions, warnings and other nefarious messages via the air wave. Some are read by humans, some are read by synthetic voices, but they all drip with a kind of inhuman and ineffable quality; we don't know what is going on.

Whitehouse has been reissuing some of their most brutal and crushing works on vinyl. Pick up CRUISE and birthdeath experience.

Nearly all noise has at least some early industrial, free improv and modern classical influence. Peep Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, SPK, Konstruktivists, Sun Ra, AMM, Ornette Coleman, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Karlheinz Stockhausen (RIP) and George Crumb.

You're already into a lot of Cold Meat Industry artists. Check out records from Hospital Productions, Tesco Organization, Trash Ritual, Harsh Noise, RRR, Important, Tzadik, Mute and Gods of Tundra just to name a few that come to mind.

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Somehow I forgot my two favorite bands.

Grab these swans albums:
Public Castration is a Good Idea
Filth
Greed/Holy Money
The Great Annihilator

Coil:
Scatology
Time Machines
Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil
ANS
Black Antlers

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:20 am UTC

Sorry to be triple posting but anyone who decides to even read this thread must must must listen to Time Machines.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:27 am UTC

I have a question! Does anyone know where the sheer number of Dark Ambient bands obsessed with the occult came from? I know Throbbing Gristle and Coil were into that kind of thing...but I'm not sure if Dark Ambient acts are strongly influenced by either of those groups.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 am UTC

Nearly all the early industrial kiddies were also giant hippies, listening to lots of psyche/krautrock, etc. and a lot of them were big on the occult. See for example Jimmy Page owning an occult bookstore.

Well, that and the fact it is an easy way to be "iconoclastic" or "controversial".

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Not too familiar with a whole lot of Noise (beyond Merzbow of course, though I tend to like his collaborations more than his solo work) but I do like drone bands like SunnO))) and Earth. I guess I prefer bands that incorporate noise elements, rather than pure noise artists themselves. I really like some of the noisier elements of a lot of modern classical pieces.

I guess it's more minimalist than noise, but I just recently discovered Ryoji Ikeda's +/-, which is mostly very clean, isolated frequencies, and not melodic in the slightest (though heavily structured rhythmically, for much of it), and I really enjoyed it. I understand most of his other releases are much noisier.

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Stolen from another forum I post on (sendspace links):

ARKTAU EOS - "MIRRORION"

Presented in seventeen chapters that can be approached as singular gateways or a slowly unfolding journey of epic proportions, the debut album of ARKTAU EOS is a challenging, complex work. Born of intense private musico-magical sessions held in places abandoned by man and further refined in the temple-laboratory of the duo, it is the distillation of seven arduous months of work.
As the title suggests, 'Mirrorion' is the music of stellar light thrown down from the Heaven's zenith and its eldritch reflections in the depths below, uniting atavistic elemental noise with serene passages of crystalline, spectral ambience. Ultimately, 'Mirrorion' seeks to surpass such earthly definitions in favour of a non-dual vision of reality, hopefully transforming the listener in the process.

For this recording ARKTAU EOS have favoured an organic approach with majority of instrumentation being of acoustic variety, including the unearthly choral of the kanglings, piercings blasts of windbones, accelerating steel-plate rolls, singing bowl and various kinds of stringed instruments.

NEPTUNE TOWERS - "CARAVANS TO EMPIRE ALGOL" and "TRANSMISSIONS FROM EMPIRE ALGOL"

Neptune Towers is an "Avantgarde Astral Alien Synth" side-project formed in 1993 by Fenriz of Darkthrone. Neptune Towers' stated goal is "To enable the listeners to keep both feet off the ground." Fenriz credits Klaus Schulze of Tangerine Dream as a big inspiration. In a recent interview, Fenriz also said he was influenced by Kraftwerk which can be heard in the use of elaborate sequencers in Transmissions from Empire Algol. It is characterized by a very slow-paced minimalistic atmosphere.
Neptune Towers was ended after Fenriz finished the third album, Space Labs, because he was dissatisfied with the quality and refused to release it.

23 SKIDOO - "THE CULLING IS COMING"

The first section of the album consists of studio recordings utilizing Gamelan instruments while the second section was an improvised set using metal percussions and tape loops from their appearance at the first WOMAD Festival in July 1982. The third, live section was later added to the Boutique Records version.

NORDVARGR - "IN OCEANS ABANDONED BY LIFE I DROWN... TO LIVE AGAIN AS A SERVANT OF DARKNESS"

The Nordic giant purveyor of modern dark ambient death drone sounds strikes again on Essence Music!

This time Mr. NORDVARGR leaves behind the detailed abyssal land of haunting minimalistic atmospheres found on Vitagen, released under his full name – Henrik Nordvargr Björkk – and moves towards the blackest side of the drone doom micro cosmos.

A grim place where, sitting on the throne, he commands the crushing, ear splitting and slow motion processed guitar blasts that emerge from the depths of the pitch black ambience background. Cavernous rumbles, disembodied voices and disturbing malfunction machines play the role and prepare the terrain for one of the most demonic axe attacks to come!

ZOAT-AON - "STAR AUTOPSY"

'Star Autopsy' presents nine multi-dimensional dark ambient tracks which range from radiant textures, mesmerizing / swirling soundscapes to dense / crushing walls of sound and hidden abstract melodies. By using conventional instruments, various sound generating devices (such as analog synthesizers and samplers), vocals and other carefully chosen sonic objects Zoät·Aon manages to create an unique, dynamic and truly enigmatic / expansive atmosphere that continuously spirals further towards the unknown areas of consciousness. (total time: 66:21).

AEOGA - "ZENITH BEYOND THE HELIX-LOCUS"

From beyond the mundane symbolscape, the 2nd album of Aeoga - entitled 'Zenith Beyond the Helix-Locus' - emits aural phenomena from devouring multi-layered elemental ambience to amorphous and hallucinatory sequences entrancing one's awareness thoroughly. The fifteen formations manifest themselves in various forms; bright and luminous helixes intertwine with shadowed and shapeless non-beings. All in all truly overwhelming material where acoustic instruments and electronic equipment mingle themselves to channel forth the aural elemental current. (total time: 67:11)

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 am UTC

I am really pleased that there's a noise thread here. I am quite the noise fan, myself.
Hi, love!

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:21 am UTC

nonorganon wrote:Nearly all the early industrial kiddies were also giant hippies, listening to lots of psyche/krautrock, etc. and a lot of them were big on the occult. See for example Jimmy Page owning an occult bookstore.

I knew all that already...

What I was wondering, and I should have said this specifically, why is it only the Dark Ambient bands and none of the Noise guys?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

I quite enjoy all of this.

I have never really dipped my feet in this genre, but I am glad I did.

schone.maschine

Postby schone.maschine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Anything on Cold Meat is pretty much awesome. I'm partial to Brighter Death Now, Desiderii Marginis, and The Protagonist. Sanctum, while on CM, isn't really ambient, more industrial, but still great. MZ412 is harsh HARSH martial industrial. Dude does some great remixes. Nordvargr's remixes are good too, not so fond of his actual work.

I second Navicon Torture Technologies.

And I suggest everyone who likes noise/glitch to check out Tim Hecker. Absolutely beautiful. Fennesz, too.

i just ran across this band called Asbestoscape which sounds a mix of Amon Tobin, Jesu, and various drone bands.

I'd be remiss if i didn't exhort everyone and anyone to listen to The Angelic Process. Like Swans on overdrive, the sound of the sun burning air.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Cyclic Law seems to have some decent artists on it. I'm rather fond of Invercauld, Drakh, and Kammarheit. Some bands on it are kind of ridiculous though, mainly Arcana, who sound like something out of a bad fantasy RPG quite often.

Here is a great place for info on Dark Ambient, Noise, etc: http://www.heathenharvest.com/index.php.

Also, I advise everyone to look into Steel Hook Prostheses. They are some pretty awesome Rhythmic Industrial.

I'd be remiss if i didn't exhort everyone and anyone to listen to The Angelic Process. Like Swans on overdrive, the sound of the sun burning air.

This group is fantastic and EXTREMELY emotive. It's very sad that they are out of commission for now because of the guitarist's hand.

5lash3r

Postby 5lash3r » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Noise is WONDERFUL, but it's almost impossible to track down if you don't have a semi-undergroundish music store, and lots of cash for CDs. Right now, I've got a bunch of harsh noise, but nothing particularly obscure or delicious. I would love to get my hands on some CCCC and Incapacitants, especially the latter.

Though, on that note, I have everything in the Merzbox (Merzbow Collection), so if there's anyone looking to wet their feet, that's not a bad place to start. Or is it toes?
I only have a signature in the hopes that, in a million years, or several, or how ever many it takes, some erstwhile wanderer of the Internet will stumble upon it, and it will give them just a moment in which to smile.

To that end: LOL BUTTS LOL

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

The Merzbox is a little* intimidating for anyone who is looking to get into anything like that. It, generally speaking, isn't really his greatest work, either.

It would be really awesome to own a legit copy of the Merzbox, though. I only have it in MP3 form.

That's how I have most of my noise, really. It's too hard to track down in real record stores.
Hi, love!

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Cai wrote:I like noise, like Hella, Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, Boredoms, Yellow Swans, Liars, pretty mainstream noise stuff, I guess.
Have you ever heard of The White Mice? If noise-rock is your thing, you might enjoy them. It may also be worth looking around the Load Records roster.
Last edited by Bisyss on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

5lash3r

Postby 5lash3r » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Yummy Tree Sap wrote:The Merzbox is a little* intimidating for anyone who is looking to get into anything like that. It, generally speaking, isn't really his greatest work, either.

It would be really awesome to own a legit copy of the Merzbox, though. I only have it in MP3 form.

That's how I have most of my noise, really. It's too hard to track down in real record stores.

Would you recommend Pulse Demon then? Despite the actual volume level, it's a fairly representative release, I think, though maybe a little harsh - would scare people off?

I want a Merzbox! I want one so I can have a Merzposter and Merzdallion. Especially the Merzdallion.

And yes, noise is hard to find in record stores, or elsewhere. I'm going to a noise fest in April though - picking up releases left and right, I bet!
I only have a signature in the hopes that, in a million years, or several, or how ever many it takes, some erstwhile wanderer of the Internet will stumble upon it, and it will give them just a moment in which to smile.

To that end: LOL BUTTS LOL

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

The first Merzbow I ever heard was 1930. I still go back to it a lot even though I don't really like noise.

Boris is good, but I guess only the Boris-Merzbow collaborations really count as noise.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Boris is pretty noisy at times even when they aren't collaborating with Merzbow, but I think they're more noise-rock a-la Acid Mothers Temple (who are amazing live, btw), mixing in a lot of doom and psychedelic rock. The fact that the band can collaborate with Merzbow (and Rock Dreams is one of the best live albums I've ever heard) and it still fits well with their music means there are definitely some noisy elements already there.

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

5lash3r wrote:
Yummy Tree Sap wrote:The Merzbox is a little* intimidating for anyone who is looking to get into anything like that. It, generally speaking, isn't really his greatest work, either.

Would you recommend Pulse Demon then? Despite the actual volume level, it's a fairly representative release, I think, though maybe a little harsh - would scare people off?

I want a Merzbox! I want one so I can have a Merzposter and Merzdallion. Especially the Merzdallion.

And yes, noise is hard to find in record stores, or elsewhere. I'm going to a noise fest in April though - picking up releases left and right, I bet!

Pulse Demon (which I amusingly typo'd as Purse Demon) is a relatively good representation of his work. Though, it is a deafeningly intense recording of his; a lot of his stuff is a little more subdued—rhythmic, even. 1930 is kind of his 'masterpiece', so to speak. In the least, it's a great place for starters, because it gives them a taste of the Merz, though it isn't too overwhelming in its noise. Plus, it's just a damn great album. Pulse Demon actually was my first Merzbow recording, though, and it's a damn good one. Just, very harsh. That's a good thing for me, but I'm a bit strange. 'Average person X' probably should start at a less 'all-out noise' Merzbow recording.
Hi, love!

Thom_

Postby Thom_ » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Agreed on 1930 being a place to start with Merzbow, it was also the first noise album I really appreciated.

I recently listened to Merzdub, a Merzbow and Jamie Saft collaboration. I really enjoyed it, especially for the tracks 'Kantacky Fried Dub' (absolute ear tearer) and Visions of Irie.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 am UTC

Bring this thread back! So, I was recently listening Current 93's Birth Canal Blues. I was quite surprised at how noisy some of the tracks were.

Lately I've been really into Aaron Dilloway, Prurient, and Projekt Hat. Everyone into Noise should check out Prurient's Troubled Sleep and his And Still, Wanting releases.

Also, Challenger by Burning Star Core is an absolute must for anyone interested in Noise, it's very unique, and dare I say, pretty. John Weise's Soft Punk is similar in that it's "fun" noise and bucks the trend by being so. Also, I've finally heard a full SJ release, and they're very impressive. If you want vulgar and disturbing Power Electronics, they're the guys to go to.

If you're a boring person like me and into drone, I would recommend Campell Kneale's Pink Stalingrad and Mtryu!'s Blood Tantra.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Haha I'm listening to Hypnoskull right now, coming into this thread by chance.

This sounds more like breakcore than noise or industrial though.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Slightly off-topic, but anyone who enjoys noise should listen to 'MAN (mothers against noise)' by SkinjoB

Also, Terrorfakt make awesome power noise.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

So, I might be in a powerviolence (punk music bordering on grind) band, and basically I would do 20 second blasts of Masonna worship while they tune/rest for the next song.

My gear set is pretty small, but awesome. So excited!
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:19 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kaienne

Postby Kaienne » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

There's a composer by the name of Renard who does a lot of noise work, mixed in with hardcore, gabber, and a variety of unidentifiable yet strangely beautiful genres. He owns his own record label, http://www.vulpvibe.com/. (Samples on site.)
I have a coy of The High Moral Fibre Album, and it's one of my favourites. (On the site, it's the one with the hands pressed together praying.)

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

I listened to the Goslings just last night for the first time, actually. Made the car trip a lot better.
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:20 am UTC

I'm surprised when talking about noise that theirs been no mention of V/VM, the caretaker, solypsis or Rank Sinatra.

nor flying saucer attack, and thir ilk.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:48 am UTC

Anyone who likes noise or breakcore should check out Nasenbluten or Passenger of Shit. Both have a heap of stuff on youtube.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:02 am UTC

proof_man wrote:STUFF

Yeah, Prurient can be really dark at times. This is why I love him of course. I've never heard of the Goslings for some reason. I'll check 'em out though.

Passenger of Shit

I ENDORSE THIS RECOMMENDATION. ALSO, HATS ARE AWESOME.

V/VM, the caretaker, solypsis or Rank Sinatra

The only one of those I've heard of is V/VM! Care to enlighten me?

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 am UTC

V/VM, the caretaker, solypsis or Rank Sinatra

The only one of those I've heard of is V/VM! Care to enlighten me?

Yeah, V/VM is really one of the big 'Name's in the scene.
Caretaker is a V/VM offshoot so check the VVM site for details (http://www.brainwashed.com/vvm/)

Rank Sinatra is one of alias of the taleneted 7U? (http://www.667u.com/) and head of the GPFS record label.
Rank has released stuff on V/VM test so more info there as well.

solypsis (also been released by V/VM test ) is the super productive the founder of Digital Vomit collective.
Lots of his noise is available free on Hallo Exentrico's blog lable -http://digitalvomitrecords.blogspot.com/2008/01/solypsis-back-catalog-on-hallo.html

Digital Vomit Colective http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/ well worth a listen to the free releases and a chat in our forum. its not all noise. but quite a bit of drone, mash up, breakcore and other fun stuff.
Hallo Exentrico's blog lable (http://digitalvomitrecords.blogspot.com) - lots of other stuff there (inc. some of mine).

thats enought plugging form me today. I'm exhasted.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Wow, I am shocked that nobody's found my dark ambient corner of the internet yet.

Zenapolae
This is a really great site with dozens of free releases of some Dark Ambient stuff. It's really pretty incredible, and the group "Instruction Shuttle" stands out as a particularly great one. You all should visit. I'm not affiliated with the site, but they deserve a lot more traffic.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “Music”