What instrument do you own?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MattTheTubaGuy

Re: What instrument do you own?

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 am UTC

Tuba!
I (my parents) got it for $800, but that was mostly because I got it at the CSM second hand sale!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I have two clarinets - a cheap plastic one I use when I don't want my nicer one to beat up, and a nicer wooden Yamaha one. I'd really like to get an R11, because the ones I've tried were awesome. I don't think I can justify it though, because I already play on a really nice mouthpiece, and don't play in any really hardcore ensembles. Its too much money, and the one I have now is good enough.

I also have an fairly nice alto sax I got at a restoration shop for $900. Its an H. Couf, which no one seems to have heard of, but it plays like a beast. I feel like I got a deal on it.

Recently I bought a nice Taylor guitar.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:03 am UTC

2 Guitars, Tin Whistle, Piano, Keyboard, Bodhrán, Harmonica. I can't play any of them.. I make music with my computer sometimes.

Mr Dynn

Postby Mr Dynn » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am UTC

I have a Yamaha keyboard (full-size, 88 weighted keys), but my current apartment is so small that I have to keep it in storage. How much does that suck?!
I've got my mother's old classical guitar from the 70s (I replaced the strings, which were also from the 70s). I do not have the right fingers for guitar, though. I'm also learning that string instruments may not be my thing.
I've got a doumbek - which is a metal middle-eastern goblet drum, common in belly-dancing (aparently that's the instrument that first attracted Shakira to the style of dance).
Otherwise, I have a metric boatload of whistles and flutes. I've got a concert flute, bagpipe, tin whistles ranging from high G to Low D, wood nickel, brass, copper, etc. (I don't do recorder - my wife handles the recorder family). I even made a fife out of a piece of copper pipe from the hardware store (it's really hard on the lips to play, but has a surprisingly good sound - I think I got lucky with drilling the holes just right)
I also keep a harmonica in my car for serious traffic jams (since it's one-handed).
I'd really like to make a Tube Trumpet out of a piece of hose.

-Mr. Dynn
-Mr. Dynn

www.feudaleffort.com - A comic strip beyond the pale

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I own an acoustic that I bought close to 4 years ago and just recently started to learn how to play. But hey, better late than never!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 am UTC

I have a 'cello. I should really get that out more often- I had my grade 8 at one point, then stopped playing it more or less straight after I left school. I've played it sporadically since then, but not a lot.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

A bass guitar. Learning to play it.... very....slowly....

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I'm sincerely hoping that the release of Rock Band 3 (with real 6-string electric guitar) will spur me to learn to play the guitar for real, because that would be so many levels of awesome.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:03 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm sincerely hoping that the release of Rock Band 3 (with real 6-string electric guitar) will spur me to learn to play the guitar for real, because that would be so many levels of awesome.

Why not just motivate yourself by realizing that playing electric guitar would be so many levels of awesome?
Cause I feel like you're at that stage already. And that's the most important stage.
uhhhh fuck.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

5 guitars
  • Gibson SG
  • Epiphone Flamekat
  • Fender Strat
  • Yamaha acoustic
  • crappy acoustic
1 bass
  • Washburn
a keyboard
  • Yamaha M08
a banjo
an alto sax
a crappy drum set
and there's a harmonica and some auxiliary percussion stuff around here somewhere...

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Two trombones, an acoustic guitar, and an oboe.

One trombone was originally my father's, a Conn Director student horn.

I got my second horn in high school, and she's a beaut - a King 3B Silversonic, with an F valve. Unfortunately I haven't played regularly since the first year of my undergrad, which was eight years ago or so. I've been entertaining the idea of starting up a dixieland band where I'm living now, though as a trombone player, finding a suitable practice space without neighbours to annoy is the tricky part.

The guitar was bought as a quieter substitute, though I've never really gotten into it.

The oboe is an odd story - there was some sort of fundraiser at my highschool and they were staging a mock wrestling match, wherein an oboe was a prop and was intended to be smashed in some manner. Being the noble music lover that I am, I crawled under the "ring" and rescued it when the "wrestlers" weren't looking, intending to find a better use for it. It was quickly forgotten, though, and It's been sitting in my closet for about 11 years.
Last edited by uncivlengr on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to do for you

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

A knockoff J-Bass and an extremely shitty Strat knockoff.

A 100 watt Ampeg bass amp, a 15 watt practice bass amp, a bass-specific distortion pedal, and the pack-in amp from the guitar.

Also, a slide. Because slide guitar is hella sweet.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

trumpet

Postby trumpet » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:41 am UTC

A trumpet, an Acoustic Guitar, and an Electric Guitar.

FreeFall

Postby FreeFall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

3 electric guitars. An Ibanez RG370DX, a Vintage V8RBQ and an awful strat copy.

Essah

Postby Essah » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Electric Yamaha Drum kit... which is awesome btw

Bruenor

Postby Bruenor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

I own and play:

Piano
4x electric guitars (BC Rich Warlock, Fender Strat, Gibson Flying V Leopard Print, Gibson SG Supreme)
Classical guitar
Mandolin
Banjo
Baritone Horn (Bb tuning)
7 penny whistles (B, C, D, E, F, G, A)
4 mouth organs (C, D, F, G)

WHSTech

Postby WHSTech » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Yamaha upright piano
2 Trombones:
A cheap one that I use in school
A nice Bach 36BO I use for concerts and such

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 am UTC

1 well-used Jupiter student trumpet. I've had it for 7 years and it wasn't new then, but those valves slide better now than when I got it.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 am UTC

Currently:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster - The thing I love about this guitar is that it plays and sounds like a classic Fender Strat, but it has a beautiful bound maple (I think) top instead of a flat finish like most Strats. The body is also more contoured and a bit lighter than the average Strat. I've hotrodded it a bit - a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. mini-humbucker occupies the space where the single-coil bridge pickup once was, and I'm currently deciding on a replacement neck pickup. I've had it for about 7 months now - I sold my old Ibanez electric to afford it - and I couldn't be happier with it.

Takamine EG Series Acoustic-Electric - I've had this for about two years now and it's never let me down. It was nice and cheap, but it plays well and sounds great, even plugged into a PA. And, like my Strat, it has a nice pretty flame maple finish. Needs new strings, though.

Spector Legend Classic 5-String Bass - This is the instrument that I gig with the most by far. Three years ago or so, I was looking to upgrade from my cheap Squier P-Bass to a 5-string, and I came upon this in my college town's guitar shop. It was used, but it played like a dream, and looked pretty to boot - plus it was cheaper than the new Peavey 5-string I was about to buy. This bass has stood up to a lot of use, and I love it more every time I play a show with it.

Benge 165F Trombone (w/ F-Attachment) - I used to play trombone, up until junior year of college. This was my step-up from the basic student rental model, and as a dumb high-schooler I probably didn't treat it as well as it deserved to be treated. It's seen better days, but it's by no means unplayable. I haven't seriously played it for several years now, though, and I'm actually thinking about selling it if I can find a buyer.

And I've got a set of bongos that I acquired randomly, though I'm a terrible percussionist and have never seriously attempted to learn to play them.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:The oboe is an odd story - there was some sort of fundraiser at my highschool and they were staging a mock wrestling match, wherein an oboe was a prop and was intended to be smashed in some manner. Being the noble music lover that I am, I crawled under the "ring" and rescued it when the "wrestlers" weren't looking, intending to find a better use for it. It was quickly forgotten, though, and It's been sitting in my closet for about 11 years.

Seriously? If you're going to trash an instrument, trash something cheaper than an Oboe! A clarinet looks similar and is about a third of the price.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 am UTC

Lesse, I own a bassoon, a banjo that needs repair, two or three harmonicas, and a tuning whistle. There was a $77 trombone at a flea market I saw recently, but it looked kinda shady, so I refrained. There's also a recorder around here somewhere. Also, I have a mini-synth. And an oboe I'm currently borrowing from the school district. I may or may not forget to return it.

demian

Postby demian » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Guitar.Achoustic guitar.
Note:even tough i suck at present time,there will come the time when i'll actually be able to play the entire "unplugged" concert by nirvana.
Or not.

Indubitable.

Postby Indubitable. » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

Two basses:
Legacy (from a beginner pack thing when I first started)
Ibanez SRX430 (called Rosa)

Six guitars (including my father's ones):
Gibson Les Paul Standard (mine)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II (mine, which I got in order to mod it with killswitch, etc.)
Two Ibanez acoustics (one mine, one my father's)
Rickenbacker (my father's, but he doesn't play much so I play it more than he does)
12-string acoustic of some sort (my father's)

Three keyboard instruments:
Electric keyboardy thing
MIDI keyboard controller
Grand Piano

One violin (I used to play)

One harmonium

One pink ukulele called Hayley

One purple ocarina

One pink harmonica with hearts on it (I got this and the ocarina as birthday presents from different people)

Two drumkits:
One electric
One beginner acoustic one

Neither of my kits is very good. ><

That's it, as far as I remember.
My bass is called Rosa and I love her lots. <3

8-Bit Theater wrote:WM: Ok, an orphanage is on fire, what do you--
BM: Use FIRE-3 to torch the building and then pick off any survivors with BOLT-2 set to a wide dispersal.

blu

Postby blu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

I own an alto sax. It seems to be good at gathering dust.

I really need to pick it up more.

Jothcra

Postby Jothcra » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:29 am UTC

I own a few instruments.
Yamaha 842S euphonium (this is the only pro-quality instrument I own)
Yamaha GXR-76 midi keyboard
3/4 size Hondo acoustic guitar from when I took guitar lessons when I was 7
A camp bugle with signatures from staffers (lol, it's so random)
A diatonic harmonica I got in a white elephant gift exchange
Linux Multimedia Studio
Finale 2010 (I don't know if these last two can really be considered instruments, but you can make sounds with them so I would consider them to be instruments)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 am UTC

Yamaha ESB220 Keyboard (My mom has a full digital piano in the family room)
A frankenset (or drums)

My sister has a very impress instrument collection, though
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

TA67

Postby TA67 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

An ok yamaha stage custom drumset. Needs new heads and cymbals badly, but it works. Also, an out of tune piano haha

minkis

Postby minkis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

Piano keyboard. Not sure the name brand I got, it is currently in travel from Afghanistan.

FermiumBalloon

Postby FermiumBalloon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 am UTC

A piano, an electric keyboard, acoustic and electric guitars, a clarinet, and an ocarina.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:19 am UTC

I own a crappy Bach Trombone and a crappy Yamaha 4-valve non-compensating Euphonium and hopefully I'll be borrowing a school Sousaphone next year for marching.

Captain Waffles

Postby Captain Waffles » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:31 am UTC

I have an Esteban acoustic guitar that has really not been well taken care of; it's missing three strings and I do not know how to play it :(

I played trumpet way back when, but I have no idea what happened to it, got fed up and walked out on me I suppose :roll:

wokattack

Postby wokattack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

Epiphone Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Art & Luthrie Western Guitar, No name Spanish Guitar, Korg Electribe Sequencer, Yamaha Midi Keyboard.

Retne

Postby Retne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Couple of crap guitars - of the acoustic and electric variety
2 Alto Saxaphones - banged up one I used for marching in school and selmer
Computer - Definately and instrument with VSTs and most EDM being produced in the box these days

ferrettt55

Postby ferrettt55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Alto saxophone(my main instrument)
Acoustic and electric guitar(no amp )
Harmonica
Old recorder
Mandolin(spell check?)
Piano
Trumpet
Desk bell ( the ones at the bank.)
Snare drum

I think that's it. But hey, my very first post.

-ferrettt55-

A.K.A.- Sir Ean Halezandaer Aidans 2 esq.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am UTC

A newly-defretted Squier j-bass. Which is made in Mexico; unusual and also a good thing for a Squier.
uhhhh fuck.

MorgothBauglir

Postby MorgothBauglir » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

I have:
Two electric guitars, a Squier Telecaster and a Jackson Rhoads
One acoustic guitar, it's a Yamaha but I'm not sure what make.
One bass guitar, based on a Fender Prescision Bass. Built by me and my (awesome) dad.

The above are the instruments I regularly play; I only have the Jackson and the bass at Uni with me so they obviously get played the most. But I also have dotted around:
A drum kit, can't remember the make. It's technically my sister's but she gave them up (shocking). I tend to smash them up whenever I'm home from Uni; in all honesty I'm not very good but it's a lot of fun. Also it's nice to say that I can play guitar, bass and drums, stretching the truth somewhat but it's an ice-breaker.

A Yamaha keyboard which I tried to learn at the end of Primary School/start of High School, I'm ashamed to say I gave it up and never practised. I think I can remember about three chords, it's sat in my attic at the moment just gathering dust. I'm thinking of making it my summer project to learn keyboard to make up for my failure at learning it initially.
I think there's a couple of recorders knocking about but I can't be sure.

I'd like to get a slide guitar so I can shamelessly try to be like David Gilmour (even more than I do already). Thus far I can't find any that are within my (relatively meagre) price range, but here's hoping!

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Two electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, an electric bass, a drum kit. And sooner or later a keyboard.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 am UTC

Aria Pro II tn-50 Semi-Acoustic guitar
Roland AX-Synth Shoulder Synth (KEYTAR!)
Yamaha PSR-290 Keyboard
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

I own too many intruments and don't play them enough:
Piano (my real instrument)
3 Clarinets (Kept needing an upgrade)
violin (learning this one. I did my first double stop this week)
2 guitars (crappy strat knockoff and classical. Trying to learn these too. Mostly for writing simple songs because it feels wrong to play just chords on the piano)
I really want a proper guitar amp at the moment. Plugging into a software effects program with one of those usb doohickys isn't quite the same. And my tiny bass amp sounds terrible with a guitar.

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

I don't have pictures handy, but I'll do my best to describe in words.

Fender All American Stratocaster, storm cloud gray. I changed out the pickups it came with for a better set of Seymour Humbucker pickups, and I put in a different action so the strings sat better.

Parkwood all woods pear shaped acoustic. Spruce top, mahogany back and neck, rosewood finger board. Didn't change anything, this guitar is pretty much perfect for the money I shelled out, which wasn't a fortune.

Fender Precision Bass, Mike Dirnt edition. Sounds pretty awesome, kept all the original stuff.

Peavy drum kit. Replica kit that Keith Moon used when he was alive and playing with The Who. Was kind of a gift, and I'm thinking of selling it.

Yamaha baby grand piano. It was my grandmas, we inherited it.

Ukulele. Shut up, it's awesome.

And that's it. I'm a guitarist by trade, so I usually play the guitars and bass the most.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

Return to “Music”