Unpopular Musical Opinions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mikeski
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:25 am UTC

Deluded wrote:JGB are much better than Tool.


The J. Geils Band is much better than Tool?

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 am UTC

-I like power noise
-Converter, Hypnoskull, Black Lung.
The genre of music that a band is lumped into should not be influenced by their image, it should be determined by their music!
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A needlessly long and silly nonsensical name does not make you cool. I'm looking at you, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alexisonfire, Neutral Milk Hotel, et al...

Dude, you're repeating yourself. It's not pretty. and quit knocking Godspeed.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Deluded
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Deluded » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Deluded wrote:JGB are much better than Tool.


The J. Geils Band is much better than Tool?


Jerry Garcia Band is much better than Tool.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A needlessly long and silly nonsensical name does not make you cool. I'm looking at you, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alexisonfire, Neutral Milk Hotel, et al...

Dude, you're repeating yourself. It's not pretty. and quit knocking Godspeed.

When they stop sucking, I will. :)

Also, I didn't think I'd made that point yet... if it was repetition, my bad.

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I enjoy Godspeed, but not to a point where I listen to them all of the time.

Also, I can see why people wouldn't like it.
Image

User avatar
SkaBassist
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:42 am UTC
Location: Texas (The ass end of America)
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby SkaBassist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Liking ska.
I now understand why people hate it. As put by someone in another forum:
"I think the reason why ska causes such a gut-level reaction in people is because it's probably the only genre where a band called Captain Awesome and the Skammodores could make a song about the cool aid man skanking and it's OK."

User avatar
thalia
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:56 pm UTC
Location: Norway

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby thalia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Koeppi wrote:- Everything prior to the mid-60's is awful, particularly all forms of jazz


Yeah, that Beethoven, man he hurts my ears.

....

Unpopular opinion #1:

when it comes to dancing, Mika's stuff is unrivalled.
One of these days.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby no-genius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A needlessly long and silly nonsensical name does not make you cool. I'm looking at you, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alexisonfire, Neutral Milk Hotel, et al...

Dude, you're repeating yourself. It's not pretty. and quit knocking Godspeed.

When they stop sucking, I will. :)

Well, they've been on indefinite hiatus since 2003, so if they ever did suck (they don't.), they stopped sucking for nearly 5 years now. And you had teh whole alexis on fire/ alex is on fire thing, remember?

Also, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is hardly non-sensical, now - is it?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

livelyness
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:45 am UTC
Location: PDX
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby livelyness » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Santana didn't write Black Magic Woman. It's not an opinion but its unpopular as hell.
Also Fleetwood Mac's original kicks ass, as does any of their stuff sans rumors.

User avatar
The Spherical Cow
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 pm UTC
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby The Spherical Cow » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 am UTC

livelyness wrote:Santana didn't write Black Magic Woman. It's not an opinion but its unpopular as hell.
Also Fleetwood Mac's original kicks ass, as does any of their stuff sans rumors.

Rumours is an amazing album, and it surprises me that you disclude it.
Well, expect from the nature of this thread. Then, I'm not surprised by this daftness.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Rap/Hip-hop is bad, but still completely hilarious.
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
schone.maschine
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby schone.maschine » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
- Timbaland is close to Brian Eno in revolutionizing experimental music.



If you're calling Timbaland "experimental", you're a fool. There's nothing experimental about him whatsoever.
I get the impression you're basing these opinions on a lack of any real reference point. And really, canned beats for commercial hiphop is as far from experiment as i can think of.


In general, this thread so far is pointless. You're just tossing back and forth "this band sucks" "No, that band rules" based on a sample of about 1% of music. You've got an equal chance of holding the popular opinion as you do the unpopular opinion.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:44 am UTC

All of everything is pointless in the long run, just go with it.
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:52 am UTC

I love indies. They're so cute when they're being haughty.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:53 am UTC

Power metal is my guilty pleasure...
*waggles eyebrows*

sherbertfox
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby sherbertfox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Dragonforce are the most epic band ever.
Music sucks.
Last night, I was a black man in Norway who couldn't get served in the supermarket because they were racist, but then the old man owner guy took me out shooting penguins with harpoons.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:25 am UTC

sherbertfox wrote:Dragonforce are the most epic band ever.
Music sucks.

I thought so too, but then i realized there were other bands that do basically the same thing, but better.

I particularly enjoy Sabaton.
*waggles eyebrows*

sherbertfox
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby sherbertfox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:26 am UTC

In short, Guitar Hero.
Last night, I was a black man in Norway who couldn't get served in the supermarket because they were racist, but then the old man owner guy took me out shooting penguins with harpoons.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Too short,

I can haz elaborashunz?
*waggles eyebrows*

sherbertfox
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby sherbertfox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Can has,
Dragonforce are epic because I nearly killed myself finishing it on Medium the other day.
Also, Dragonforce are hilarious.
Last night, I was a black man in Norway who couldn't get served in the supermarket because they were racist, but then the old man owner guy took me out shooting penguins with harpoons.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:08 am UTC

check out Sabaton

It is all about WWII its like a completely kick-ass history lesson with Bombs!
*waggles eyebrows*

sherbertfox
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby sherbertfox » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Sounds like epic!
Last night, I was a black man in Norway who couldn't get served in the supermarket because they were racist, but then the old man owner guy took me out shooting penguins with harpoons.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 am UTC

LINKAGE
EDIT: bad linkage^

better linkage http://youtube.com/watch?v=ny_R8OVYfrw
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
Marlowe
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Marlowe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

Bob Dylan isn't as good as everyone goes on about. Call me a philistine, but I don't really get the appeal of the same sounding song with the roughly same structure and the same bloke who despite 50-odd years of playing live, still can't sing.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

The new British Sea Power album will probably be the best of the whole year. Aaand, most of it was recorded at Hotel2Tango. It has Efrim's dog on it! (somewhere)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
Raupi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:05 pm UTC
Location: Freiburg, germany
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Raupi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

-Gloria Estefan is underrated
- Just because it has no melodies, no harmonies and no rhythm doesn't mean it's not music :D
- oh yeah, and slayer sucks ^^

User avatar
Durinthal
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:46 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:44 am UTC

95% of the music written within the past 20 years sucks.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby no-genius » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:95% of the music written within the past 20 years sucks.

But the 5% that doesn't makes any amount of suckage worth it. (Seeing as IMO, its only the 5% that I listen to)

Edit: really? You listened to all the music made in the last 20 years?
Last edited by no-genius on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
dubsola
Posts: 2327
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby dubsola » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 am UTC

Wow, you guys suck much more than the music of the last 20 years. You make this thread stupider than Ryan Seacrest.

User avatar
Matthias
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 am UTC
Location: Out of context, probably.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Music isn't relaxing. Like, at all.

If it's music I like, then I'm all juiced up because I'm enjoying listening to it. If it's music I hate, then I'm pissed and I can't relax because I want to change the station.

And before you say it, yes, ocean waves and wind chimes and such are relaxing--but they're not music. Beautiful, yes, but not music.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Do you by any chance like power metal?
*waggles eyebrows*

Dark Ragnarok
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

No one knows the true extent of good music till they browse my library.
Last edited by Dark Ragnarok on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ruins
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Ruins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Metal > All. Because it has balls.

No other genre dares to sing about vikings (Amon Amarth, Ensiferum), name their bands after death tolls from expected nuclear warfare and a front man that was clinically dead for a few minutes (Megadeth) or boldly states that God Hates us All (Slayer). Where else can you find a band that combines folk elements, electric guitar and harsh vocals to sing about the end of the world in two 20+ minute tracks (Moonsorrow), or an entire album dedicate primarily to the voices inside a coma patients head while revealing a story of betrayal and adultry, all done in an operatic manner (Ayreon)? Or a bunch of half-naked men singing about the glorious genre itself in the epically cheesy proportions (Manowar)? What about a jazz-style boogie to Balrog (Diablo Swing Opera) or a female vocalist that does guttural vocals (Arch Enemy)?

I understand that Classical and Jazz have better musicians and composition. Pop and Rock have better music videos and advertising. Opera and Blues have better vocalists. R&B and Hip Hop have better feuds and music-video-babes.

But metal has balls.
Nothing is new, we just forget the old - me after doing my literature review

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby aion7 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Ruins wrote:Metal > All. Because it has balls.

No other genre dares to sing about vikings (Amon Amarth, Ensiferum), name their bands after death tolls from expected nuclear warfare and a front man that was clinically dead for a few minutes (Megadeth) or boldly states that God Hates us All (Slayer). Where else can you find a band that combines folk elements, electric guitar and harsh vocals to sing about the end of the world in two 20+ minute tracks (Moonsorrow), or an entire album dedicate primarily to the voices inside a coma patients head while revealing a story of betrayal and adultry, all done in an operatic manner (Ayreon)? Or a bunch of half-naked men singing about the glorious genre itself in the epically cheesy proportions (Manowar)? What about a jazz-style boogie to Balrog (Diablo Swing Opera) or a female vocalist that does guttural vocals (Arch Enemy)?

I understand that Classical and Jazz have better musicians and composition. Pop and Rock have better music videos and advertising. Opera and Blues have better vocalists. R&B and Hip Hop have better feuds and music-video-babes.

But metal has balls.
That was beautiful. I can't really say anything else about it because of the pure amount of truth you crammed in there with style. As a metal fan, I salute you.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:43 am UTC

I agree, with one exception. Metal that does metal-type stuff just because it will make them popular. This is not metal.
*waggles eyebrows*

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Meh, Arch Enemy's vocalist was vastly underwhelming live (I was there to see Opeth, not them, anyway). You want truly infernal female vocals, look no further than Thorr's Hammer. Besides being an excellent death/doom project of Stephen O'Malley that I would definitely recommend picking up (they only have one EP, with 4 songs), they have some of the best death vocals I've ever heard, male or female. And she was only 17.

Metal may have balls, but it also has cheese in copious quantities, and hordes of close-minded fans.
And, in most cases, it doesn't take much (many?) balls to cater to the masses, as plenty of metal bands do.

Ebeth
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 am UTC
Location: In my little dream world
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Ebeth » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:26 am UTC

It's not the metal that caters to the masses that has balls. But that's usually not really metal anyway (or at least not good metal)

People usually get pissed at me about music because i like almost everything. The main thing that i don't like is modern punk/emo stuff like fall out boy, MCR, AFI, etc. (old-school punk is sweet though)

People hate listening to my ipod with me on shuffle because it can be like heavy metal one minute, then like, the jurassic park theme, then african drums, jazz, classic rock, bagpipes, indie rock, whatever. So i have a lot of unpopular opinions i suppose, depending on who i'm talking to.

Oh, and i like jimmy buffett (in small doses, but that's more than most people i know)

Deluded wrote:The Beatles made some of the most wonderful music in existance.
.

If that's an unpopular opinion for you, i'm really glad i don't live your life :D The beatles are incredible, but most of the people i know are in complete agreement with me about that.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby aion7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Who doesn't like The Beatles? Seriously.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Zak
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:25 am UTC
Location: In the making.

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Zak » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:55 am UTC

They're meh.

But i totally have the super-eclectic music tastes thing going too.

It ranges from super peppy pop and techno to super industrial electronica, soft indie rock to intense death metal and power metal. I even have some african drums :D
*waggles eyebrows*


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests