Unpopular Musical Opinions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Angelene » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Ahhhhh, whenever you folk mention Rise Against I was reading it as Rage Against and thought ye meant RATM. It all makes much much MUCH more sense now.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

2_of_8

Postby 2_of_8 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:31 am UTC

henre wrote:oh, okay, well, there's any number of meanings one could ascribe to a piece. i'd have to listen to the song in question to elaborate, and frankly i can't be arsed as i'm fairly drunk and just had my first blowjob an hour or so ago.

also i agree with the 'wtf u2' comment earlier. i srsly do not see what is so great about them. i can hear traces of their influence in a small handful of bands, but it's not like they did anything phenomenally different. also the edge is gay.
Now that sufficient time has passed for you to recover from your drunkedness and blowjob, please ascribe a meaning to the aforementioned song ;)

Unbeknown

Postby Unbeknown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Aleril wrote:- Tenacious D sucks.

Comedy music in general sucks after after hearing it a couple of times. Hearing the same jokes again and again becomes boring and unfunny.

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

Seasonal unpopular musical opinion: Mannheim Steamroller has no musical genius.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:I would have to agree, why would anyone believe that all male singers are gay?

Why would anyone believe that none of them are?

Edit:
henre wrote:as for my unpopular opinions:...
it is possible to make heavy rock music sans guitar. see muse and death from above 1979.

No, no, no. Matt Bellamy plays guitar. A lot. (If you were referring to Supermassive Black Hole ... well I'm fairly sure that song still has guitar).

Also I don't agree with the coldplay/ arcade fire/ JT ones, but that is just opinion.

lowbart wrote:
Aleril wrote:- The Beatles are a genre defining band and one of the best bands ever.

That's an unpopular opinion? 99% of people who have heard the Beatles, and don't like them, are just religiously opposed to music older than they are.

How old are you? :P

I listen to plenty of bands that are older than me - Joy Divsion, The Fall, Wire, Pixies (just).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Yummy Tree Sap

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Here's one. I hate Led Zeppelin.

The only time I've enjoyed listening to Zeppelin is when the guy's making killer noise with a bow on his guitar.
Hi, love!

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Postby henre » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:- Timbaland is close to Brian Eno in revolutionizing experimental music.

god, finally someone who agrees
Aleril wrote:- Guys like Squarepusher and Aphex Twin are turning the regular shitty ol' techno and recycled beats for rap into an artistic form. Makes you think even without conventional musical instruments.

which simply proves again the fact that the validity of music is not dependent on medium.
Aleril wrote:- The Beatles are a genre defining band and one of the best bands ever.

the beatles fucking suck.

my opinion is fact

tyvm

no-genius wrote:
it is possible to make heavy rock music sans guitar. see muse and death from above 1979.

No, no, no. Matt Bellamy plays guitar. A lot. (If you were referring to Supermassive Black Hole ... well I'm fairly sure that song still has guitar).

haha, i'm a total muse fanboy, can't lecture me on a band i whored for a year and a half :P he plays guitar quite often, and he's rate good at it too; but there are songs - some of their heaviest - which feature only piano, bass and drums. apocalypse please is one good example. no-one can argue that that song is not heavy.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside: stars, and the moon.

ʇɟıɥs sı ʎɹʇ oʇ ʇɟǝl ƃuıɥʇ ʎluo ǝɥʇ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

henre wrote:

the beatles fucking suck.

Belial's opinion is fact

tyvm

Fix'd

Also, how could some hate the beatles? I could never understand that.

henre

Postby henre » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:07 am UTC

Aleril wrote:Also, how could some hate the beatles? I could never understand that.

they're boring and uninteresting. and their lyrical material puts me off completely when half of it is about piggies and a yellow submarine and the number nine.. nine.. number nine..

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:17 am UTC

Aleril wrote:Also, how could some hate the beatles? I could never understand that.

Because certain adolescents define "quality music" and "things my parents have heard of" as mutually exclusive catagories. Also, when you've reached a sufficiently advanced level of cool, it's possible to judge the worth of an album just by looking at the cover art and rubbing your temples.

henre

Postby henre » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:49 am UTC

trickster721 wrote:

Because certain adolescents define "quality music" and "things my parents have heard of" as mutually exclusive catagories. Also, when you've reached a sufficiently advanced level of cool, it's possible to judge the worth of an album just by looking at the cover art and rubbing your temples.

i'm going to take offence here. i'm 19 years of age. i listen to loads of the same music as my parents, and loads that they don't like as well. and as for cover art - whatever, man. i've tried to listen to the beatles (couldn't escape it if i wanted to, my best friend is a huge fan), across all their disparate eras and shifting styles, and i do not dig 98% of it. cover art and/or image have bare little to do with it.

in fact, i'm starting to model my personal image on lennon.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm'a go ahead and second that. I am not an adolescent, and most of the music I listen to is *at least* ten years old, so I have no illusions of being cool.

But I still just don't really care for the beatles. They were revolutionary, and I'm glad they happened because it led to a lot of awesome things, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to them.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

henre wrote:
no-genius wrote:

haha, i'm a total muse fanboy, can't lecture me on a band i whored for a year and a half :P he plays guitar quite often, and he's rate good at it too; but there are songs - some of their heaviest - which feature only piano, bass and drums. apocalypse please is one good example. no-one can argue that that song is not heavy.

Erm, try about 5 years. So, yeah, I can. And, I would say something like 'Stockholm Syndrome' is probably heavier than Apocalypse Please. I find that song a bit boring, really.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Is it really hard to understand why someone could hate the Beatles, given the existence of songs like Birthday in their oeuvre?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

The Beatles had a rare heart condition that made it so that if they ever made more than one bad song there band would break apart. For that I curse a few unnamed songs in Let it Be.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

JacoIII

Postby JacoIII » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:47 am UTC

Unpopular opinions eh?

- "Love" has not been exhausted as a source for brilliant songs (69 Love songs by "The Magnetic Fields")
- Rap done well (The song "Shakey Dog" by Ghostface Killah, anything from 36 Chambers by Wu-Tang Clan) is poetry.
- Country only sucks because you've never listened to Wilco
- "Emo" music is only for people who don't understand true emotions; listen to The Arcade Fire's "Funeral" and tell me that life is only about pain and suffering.
- No matter how good their singles are, Coldplay can't make a good album.
- U2 went downhill after "Joshua Tree"
- To date, I have never heard a better album than OK Computer.
- Kanye West doesn't suck. In fact, he's quite good.
- Pop =/= bad (look at Feist) and unknown =/= good.
- Modest Mouse will never be better than they were on "The Moon & Antarctica"

henre

Postby henre » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:01 am UTC

no-genius wrote:
henre wrote:
no-genius wrote:

Erm, try about 5 years. So, yeah, I can. And, I would say something like 'Stockholm Syndrome' is probably heavier than Apocalypse Please. I find that song a bit boring, really.

that does not make apocalypse please not heavy.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:44 am UTC

All I'm saying is, if I was picking bands to support the argument 'it is possible to make heavy music without guitars', muse would not be one of those bands. Seeing as over 90% of their songs have guitar in them, and all.

henre

Postby henre » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

eh. whutevs. dfa1979, then. :D

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

Apocolyptica is the band to use to prove that you can have heavy music without guitar. Just take their Metallica covers.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

henre

Postby henre » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

don't know them, though. but i'll take your word for it.

personally, i'm of the distorted bass persuasion. :P

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

Sorry to drag this up again, but she has not responded and it's bothering me.
Hurduser wrote:Music needs a melody, thus (most) rap is no music as is most metal.

So is a drum solo music? How do you support the idea that a drum, a musical instrument, is incapable of making music on its own? If a drum can make music by itself, which is the only logical conclusion that I can see, then a drum plus vocals must be music (and there is a melody, I don't think you're listening hard enough).
Now whether it's good music is an entirely separate issue.
JacoIII wrote:- Country only sucks because you've never listened to Wilco

Ok, their albums are on Ruckus, which one do I download? I usually don't like "normal" music, so don't recommend me their most accessible/poppy release.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

If you're gonna get into Wilco, get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Also, some of these opinions are really dumb. This thread should be dumb musical opinions, because some of them are really popular.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

newbeat

Postby newbeat » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

JacoIII wrote:- "Emo" music is only for people who don't understand true emotions; listen to The Arcade Fire's "Funeral" and tell me that life is only about pain and suffering.

I heart the arcade fire and all but that, my friend, is an undiluted misconception.
References: At the Drive in. Cursive. Chisel. Fugazi. Jets to Brazil. Chris Leo. It goes on and on.
We're all in this together. Once we know that we are, we're all stars and we see that we're all in this together and it shows when we stand hand-in-hand make our dreams come true!

JacoIII

Postby JacoIII » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Cai wrote:If you're gonna get into Wilco, get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Also, some of these opinions are really dumb. This thread should be dumb musical opinions, because some of them are really popular.

Don't have to tell me twice, one of my favourite albums right now.

JacoIII

Postby JacoIII » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

newbeat wrote:
JacoIII wrote:- "Emo" music is only for people who don't understand true emotions; listen to The Arcade Fire's "Funeral" and tell me that life is only about pain and suffering.

I heart the arcade fire and all but that, my friend, is an undiluted misconception.
References: At the Drive in. Cursive. Chisel. Fugazi. Jets to Brazil. Chris Leo. It goes on and on.

I was speaking more about bands like Jedi Mind Trick, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and other acts I can't stand.

To be honest, I haven't really heard anything by the artists that you listed, I'm downloading some stuff now.

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Postby Philomid » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

Unpopular Music Opinions:

-Japanese rock =/= great international stuff
-I have always preferred studio albums over live concerts
-Tool =/= overrated and terrible music
-Industrial Rock (Like NIN) is not good music, its unconnected guitar lines mixed with bad drums.
-Myspace has good music on it. It may be rare, but to assume that all music on Myspace is terrible, would be to deny that fact that Myspace is a great way to hook people into your band/act.
EDIT: -Also, Led Zeppelin is unoriginal and riped of great, but unknown, Blues artists.
Last edited by Philomid on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:21 am UTC

Jesus, will you all stop with this shit already? Who the hell cares?

Can someone lock this thread or delete it or something?
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Balkash

Postby Balkash » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:41 am UTC

Unbeknown wrote:
Aleril wrote:- Tenacious D sucks.

Comedy music in general sucks after after hearing it a couple of times. Hearing the same jokes again and again becomes boring and unfunny.

That being said, I hate Weird Al

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 am UTC

davef wrote:Jesus, will you all stop with this shit already? Who the hell cares?

Can someone lock this thread or delete it or something?

If you don't care, don't post. ;-)

Ok, YHF. I'm busy now, but I'll tell you later if it sucks or not. ;-)

henre

Postby henre » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Philomid wrote:-Industrial Rock (Like NIN) is not good music, its unconnected guitar lines mixed with bad drums.

believe me, until two months ago, i thought the same; but have you ever really given any of nin's albums a fair listen?

if you are willing to put your beliefs to the test, get with teeth (2005) and give it a cover-to-cover listen.

reznor's much better than i thought.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 am UTC

The soundtrack to the first two Pokemon movies were pretty damned snazzy.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Only a little part of classical music is sounding good and is quite pleasant to listen to.
That is, most of it is painful and insulting to my ears, and drives my nerves to jump out. You know, when you want to scream: "Stop torturing the poor cat already!"
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 am UTC

henre wrote:
Philomid wrote:-Industrial Rock (Like NIN) is not good music, its unconnected guitar lines mixed with bad drums.

believe me, until two months ago, i thought the same; but have you ever really given any of nin's albums a fair listen?

if you are willing to put your beliefs to the test, get with teeth (2005) and give it a cover-to-cover listen.

reznor's much better than i thought.

Bleh. I can't speak for industrial rock (only NIN), but I think I've grown out of that now.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

I don't like most old stuff. I must be a young whipper-snapper.

MuseSik

Postby MuseSik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Daniel Johnston is what Janeane Garofalo would sound like if she took up smoking for 50 years, then decided to write folk songs.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

I believe that mundane indie music is lame. People claim that it's so awesome because it's "down-to-earth" or some shit, but it's awful. It's not the tunes, it's the lyrics: there's no poetry to it all. It could be someone singing a rhyming blog for all the fucking literary competence that went into it.

Kate Nash is a huge example of this.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

A needlessly long and silly nonsensical name does not make you cool. I'm looking at you, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Alexisonfire, Neutral Milk Hotel, et al...

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

- Any noise intended as music by its creator, is. (I realize I'm not the first in this thread to say this)
- That says nothing about its worth, only its nature.
- Any statement beyond that about what good music "has to have" is wrong.
- Most metal or prog (but not all of it) is incredibly boring.
- Technical excellence is, at best, only slightly related to musical excellence.
- The same can be said for musical complexity.

Deluded

Postby Deluded » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:05 am UTC

Tool is not the best music ever, it is slightly interesting music worth listening to now and again.
The Grateful Dead and JGB are much better than Tool.
The Beatles made some of the most wonderful music in existance.
The pop country that I hear on the radio sounds just like the pop I hear on the other stations and is just as terrible.
Santeria and Wrong Way are NOT Sublimes best songs.

Return to “Music”