Unpopular Musical Opinions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ParanoidAndroid
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 am UTC


Dew_N_O
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Dew_N_O » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:36 am UTC

J Spade wrote:My opinions are particularly unpopular because I am in high school:

-Newer Rap/Hip-Hop sucks. Sugarhill Gang is where it's at. Drugs, gangs and whores aren't everything. And I'd like to be able to understand whatever it is you're saying.
-Fallout Boy sucks. As do Panic at the Disco.
-Jazz is actually better to listen to than radio pop.
-I don't care how difficult it is to play 32nd notes on a drum set bass drum. Being able to do it doesn't make you a good musician (even if you smash wildly at the crash cymbals while doing it.)
-Along those lines, some of the best drummers that ever lived were jazz drummers.
-The Beatles were pretty good, but not worth the commotion they got.
-Dragonforce recorded one song over and over with varying lyrics and guitar solos. And that song is overplayed. And playing it in Guitar Hero does not make you awesome.
-The Jonas Brothers, and any other Disney-sanctioned artists (including Hannah fucking Montana) SUCK AND I HATE HOW 12-YEAR-OLDS WORSHIP THEM LIKE GODS! DAMN IT.
-Live music is better than a hired DJ any day.
-Classical has its place along with jazz, rock and all other music.
-Music theory should be a required class in high school, so that those that become musicians have that much more of a chance to not write a sucky song with no progression of chords or rhythms.



Call the Revolution Police. Someone has escaped our grasp.

No but seriously those are all widespread musical opinions, especially on the Internet. You will really enjoy not being in high school!

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:24 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby sparks » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:37 pm UTC



Actually, no. Those are the roots of emo, what emo originally was (and it was horrible anyway). All musical styles evolve, and Fall out boy are just as emo as the bands listed there, simply a new rammification of the genre. It would be as saying that the Spice Girls are not pop, only Madonna is, or that Slipknot are not metal and only 80s metal bands are, and so on. Granted, many people don't really know about how it all started, but that does not mean that what we presently call "emo" is not "emo".
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
Image
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

sparks wrote:


Actually, no. Those are the roots of emo, what emo originally was (and it was horrible anyway). All musical styles evolve, and Fall out boy are just as emo as the bands listed there, simply a new rammification of the genre. It would be as saying that the Spice Girls are not pop, only Madonna is, or that Slipknot are not metal and only 80s metal bands are, and so on. Granted, many people don't really know about how it all started, but that does not mean that what we presently call "emo" is not "emo".
Though:

- Pop is not a musical genre, it's simply to denote what's popular right now.
- Some would argue that Slipknot is not metal, after all, it has more basis in hiphop, it's just hiphop with guitars.
- Help, genrewars, if you start them you've lost, ultimately it's just how you define it yourself.
^ :/

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

J Spade wrote:-Music theory should be a required class in high school, so that those that become musicians have that much more of a chance to not write a sucky song with no progression of chords or rhythms.


-Literary theory should be a required class in high school, so that those that become writers have that much more of a chance to not write a sucky book that breaks the standard formula in any way.

-Art theory should be a required class in high school, so that those that become artists have that much more of a chance to not create a sucky artwork that isn't a generic painting of a landscape.

-Film theory should be a required class in high school, so that those that become filmmakers have that much more of a chance to not make a sucky film with no romance, chase scene, and 'moral of the story'.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 am UTC

sparks wrote:


Actually, no. Those are the roots of emo, what emo originally was (and it was horrible anyway). All musical styles evolve, and Fall out boy are just as emo as the bands listed there, simply a new rammification of the genre. It would be as saying that the Spice Girls are not pop, only Madonna is, or that Slipknot are not metal and only 80s metal bands are, and so on. Granted, many people don't really know about how it all started, but that does not mean that what we presently call "emo" is not "emo".
It's generally not a good idea to use the same word to refer to two incredibly different styles of music. There are still bands that make music in the vein of older emo. I wouldn't say the genre "evolved" into bands like Fall Out Boy, bands like Fall Out Boy just picked up a few cues from music that was tangentially related to emo to begin with.

Screamo is even worse, because people use it to refer to any music that has harsh vocals in it.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:30 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:It's generally not a good idea to use the same word to refer to two incredibly different styles of music.


Have fun thinking of ninety new terms to describe the multitude of eras of 'rock'.

--

To actually be on topic:

Trans is the best Young album.

Fuck Buttons and HEALTH will launch to Boredoms level next decade.

Deerhunter were a one hit wonder.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:02 am UTC

The difference being, of course, that rock's pretty much always been a fairly general term, just under "pop", whereas "emo" is being used to refer to two distinct and almost entirely separate musical movements, one which has its roots in hardcore punk and one with roots in pop-rock.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aaron
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:04 am UTC

6453893 wrote:
Deerhunter were a one hit wonder.


do you care to try to explain this or should i go straight to calling you an idiot

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:27 am UTC

aaron wrote:
6453893 wrote:
Deerhunter were a one hit wonder.


do you care to try to explain this or should i go straight to calling you an idiot


Turn It Up Faggot, Microcastle, and Weird Era Cont. were all great. TIUF is probably my personal favorite album of theirs. However, Cryptograms had the combination of originality, attention to detail and great songwriting required to take an album from great to stellar. The band has been slowly drifting from more inventive and daring work to stronger songwriting and a more consistent sound. Cryptograms fell right in between, before either was consumed by the other. Like it or not, it was their masterstroke, their Low, their Doolittle. Go ahead and call me an idiot, if it makes you feel better.

User avatar
aaron
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:23 am UTC

6453893 wrote:
aaron wrote:
6453893 wrote:
Deerhunter were a one hit wonder.


do you care to try to explain this or should i go straight to calling you an idiot


Turn It Up Faggot, Microcastle, and Weird Era Cont. were all great. TIUF is probably my personal favorite album of theirs. However, Cryptograms had the combination of originality, attention to detail and great songwriting required to take an album from great to stellar. The band has been slowly drifting from more inventive and daring work to stronger songwriting and a more consistent sound. Cryptograms fell right in between, before either was consumed by the other. Like it or not, it was their masterstroke, their Low, their Doolittle. Go ahead and call me an idiot, if it makes you feel better.


i don't see what's so wrong with this. with this logic, you're effectively calling regina spektor a one hit wonder, as her first albums were really inventive, but with begin to hope and far she's polished her sound and has really found her niche within pop music.

also, you don't really seem to get what "one hit wonder" actually means. a good example of a one-hit wonder is del amitri. or dexys midnight runners. when you call all of an artists albums great, they are probably not a one-hit wonder.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Screamo is even worse, because people use it to refer to any music that has harsh vocals in it.
Ahaha, oh so true.

But look at it like this:

If you were a lad with long hair in 1995 people'd call you 'headbanger' or 'metaller' on the street.
2001: You were goth
Now, you are emo?

It's just what's popular right now that to most people bears the vaguest of resemblance. It's the in-group bias, an external group will appear as much more alike than an internal group. After all, trance and techno is the same for some one listening metal and metal and rock is for some one listening trance? The former will infallibly hear the difference between post-2002 powermetal and Blind Gardian. The latter spot on shall identify a tech trance track from a hard trance track. Both shall claim that there is no difference and the other is making it up.

I was called emo once, more than once, quite strange, as I have some sort of curlish frizzy general weird hair, I should at least straighten it if I am emo? Also, I take next to no care of my appearance, but yeah, you've got black (natural) hair that's longer than that of the average male and you have a black hoodie with a text on it and baggy jeans, you're set then. Remarkable as emo clothing tends to be quite form-fitting.
^ :/

User avatar
ParanoidAndroid
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:15 pm UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:01 am UTC

I hate playing genre nazi, but the whole emo debate thing always gets me ranting. I'm typically the guy saying "Eh, they're basically death metalish."

TheAmazingRando wrote:The difference being, of course, that rock's pretty much always been a fairly general term, just under "pop", whereas "emo" is being used to refer to two distinct and almost entirely separate musical movements, one which has its roots in hardcore punk and one with roots in pop-rock.

Exactly. I suppose technically you could say that emo or whatever you want to call it is a subgenre of hardcore like Slipknot's nu-metal is a subgenre of metal. Slipknot and Black Sabbath may sound very different, but they have similar roots and still share some traditionally metal qualities. That's why it makes sense to call them both metal. However, it's much harder to see the similarities between Fall Out Boy and, say, Indian Summer. There are still bands out there playing emo, and plenty of people still listen to it.

I understand that the term has been misappropriated expanded to include other types of music. Genres are supposed to be generalizations of a sort that make discussing music easier and more intuitive. Metal, rock, techno, folk, etc. are all fairly vague descriptions that at least give you an idea of what a band sounds like or, at the very least, tell you that a band will most likely incorporate certain elements characteristic of the genre. The disparity between what was originally considered emo and its more popular definition only confuses things. When one person's list of favorite emo bands consists of raucous hardcore and another's is nothing but pop-rock, there's a problem. Of course, since the whole emotional hardcore scene is much less popular and active than the pop-rockish emo that is currently popular, there isn't much of a debate going on outside of the internet and struggling independent record stores. My first instinct when hearing someone call 30 Seconds to Mars emo probably shouldn't be to get frustrated, but unfortunately it is. Genres are there to make discussing and organizing music easier, so if the average person thinks of Fall Out Boy's sound when I say "emo", then oh well. I'll just use more descriptive language to describe what I mean.

Ideally, everyone would use more genres and subgenres more accurately and consistently, but that's not going to happen. Usually, if someone who doesn't know about the roots of emo asks me about an emo band, I'll say something like, "Oh, they're a hardcore band," because it's more or less accurate without being confusing. In music threads, though, I typically try to be more specific because I assume that more people will understand what I mean and appreciate my attempts at accuracy.

See why I put that statement in the "Unpopular Musical Opinions" thread?

TL;DR
If I want to speak in depth about genres of music with people who are interested in those genres, it helps to be specific about whether it's hardcore, emo, post-hardcore, whatever. It's helpful and accurate in such cases. However, when casually discussing music with people who are unfamiliar with the genres and subgenres, it's usually better to use broader, more popularly known terms. I generally believe the difference between "emotional hardcore" emo and "pop-rock" emo to be too great to consider them a part of the same genre, but I'm willing to use more accessible terminology to make things easier when needed.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:15 am UTC

aaron wrote:
6453893 wrote:
aaron wrote:
6453893 wrote:
Deerhunter were a one hit wonder.


do you care to try to explain this or should i go straight to calling you an idiot


Turn It Up Faggot, Microcastle, and Weird Era Cont. were all great. TIUF is probably my personal favorite album of theirs. However, Cryptograms had the combination of originality, attention to detail and great songwriting required to take an album from great to stellar. The band has been slowly drifting from more inventive and daring work to stronger songwriting and a more consistent sound. Cryptograms fell right in between, before either was consumed by the other. Like it or not, it was their masterstroke, their Low, their Doolittle. Go ahead and call me an idiot, if it makes you feel better.


i don't see what's so wrong with this. with this logic, you're effectively calling regina spektor a one hit wonder, as her first albums were really inventive, but with begin to hope and far she's polished her sound and has really found her niche within pop music.

also, you don't really seem to get what "one hit wonder" actually means. a good example of a one-hit wonder is del amitri. or dexys midnight runners. when you call all of an artists albums great, they are probably not a one-hit wonder.


A great album does not a hit make. I know exactly what a One Hit Wonder is. It is a band that has a single hit. Typically it refers to a song (Nena's 99 Luftballons, Buggles' Video Killed The Radio Star), but it can also refer to albums (Suicide's Debut, Play's commercial success relative to Moby's other works). Outside of the Pitchfork crowd, you can't tell me that any of Deerhunter's other albums received as much attention as Cryptograms.

And I do not know how Regina Spektor comes in to this. I did not say that any album on the crossroads between innovation and songwriting is destined to become a hit. I was only explaining why in this particular, unique case, being on the crossroads worked in its favor. And Regina Spektor probably isn't the best example to use anyway; have you heard her last album?

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 am UTC

Guyz, guyz, multiple authorities have multiple definitions of the concept, the most common one's are:

- Only one entry in the Billboard top 40 (pretty hard criterion of course) <- also makes Jimmy Hendrix one
- Known largely for one song (vague)
- Extremely popular for a short time, then no one remembers it (equally vague)
^ :/

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Guyz, guyz, multiple authorities have multiple definitions of the concept, the most common one's are:

- Only one entry in the Billboard top 40 (pretty hard criterion of course) <- also makes Jimmy Hendrix one
- Known largely for one song (vague)
- Extremely popular for a short time, then no one remembers it (equally vague)



By those standards, Deerhunter are a no hit wonder.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 am UTC

6453893 wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:Guyz, guyz, multiple authorities have multiple definitions of the concept, the most common one's are:

- Only one entry in the Billboard top 40 (pretty hard criterion of course) <- also makes Jimmy Hendrix one
- Known largely for one song (vague)
- Extremely popular for a short time, then no one remembers it (equally vague)



By those standards, Deerhunter are a no hit wonder.
Which of the three?
^ :/

User avatar
aaron
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:
A great album does not a hit make. I know exactly what a One Hit Wonder is. It is a band that has a single hit. Typically it refers to a song (Nena's 99 Luftballons, Buggles' Video Killed The Radio Star), but it can also refer to albums (Suicide's Debut, Play's commercial success relative to Moby's other works). Outside of the Pitchfork crowd, you can't tell me that any of Deerhunter's other albums received as much attention as Cryptograms.

And I do not know how Regina Spektor comes in to this. I did not say that any album on the crossroads between innovation and songwriting is destined to become a hit. I was only explaining why in this particular, unique case, being on the crossroads worked in its favor. And Regina Spektor probably isn't the best example to use anyway; have you heard her last album?


you can't tell me that ANY of deerhunter's albums have received a lot of attention. maybe it's our location differences, but deerhunter really burst onto the scene here with microcastles - or maybe you're just exaggerating the acclaim. i have no idea.

point being of my last post is, you can't call all of an artist's records great, and then call it a one-hit wonder. and seeing as how microcastles is pretty popular, i'm fairly certain deerhunter is not a "one-hit wonder"

and i was using regina spektor as an example - a really good one as her situation is EXACTLY what you're describing. she started out having unique structures and unconventional songwriting with her earlier work (songs, 11:11) then moved on to poppier fields (begin to hope, far). but that album in the middle, soviet kitsch, is that perfect mix of innovation and songwriting which made cryptograms your favorite work by deerhunter. if you wanted your argument to be about how much critical acclaim the albums have recieved, you should've stated that in your original post defending your position instead of dancing around my points and using it as a weak comeback. and yes, i have heard regina's latest, as i've referenced it in almost every post i've made itt.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

is that perfect mix of innovation and songwriting which made cryptograms your favorite work by deerhunter


I don't see how you could still be confused about this. The reasons I listed were not the reasons I like Cryptograms. They are the reason I believe Cryptograms became popular. They are not some magic formula that applies to any album by any artist. I never stated "If an album mixes innovation and songwriting it is a hit". It does not work like that.

point being of my last post is, you can't call all of an artist's records great, and then call it a one-hit wonder. and seeing as how microcastles is pretty popular, i'm fairly certain deerhunter is not a "one-hit wonder"


Again, I don't know how you got the idea that I was proposing some universal rule. Once and for all, there is no algorithm for determining what is a hit. Plenty of great bands never have a hit at all. Plenty of mediocre bands have multiple hits. Just because something is great does not make it a hit. Just because something fuses innovation and songwriting does not make it a it. I said Cryptograms became a hit, in my opinion, because of those factors. I can say every VU album was amazing, and they never had a major hit. If the VU had had a single hit, I would call them a one-hit wonder. As it stands, they were an amazing band with no hits. Stop generalizing what I say.

you can't tell me that ANY of deerhunter's albums have received a lot of attention. maybe it's our location differences, but deerhunter really burst onto the scene here with microcastles - or maybe you're just exaggerating the acclaim. i have no idea.


Well yeah, this is always the case. I base my opinions on the attention I've seen each album receive. Neither of us have any clue which is more popular universally.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 am UTC

I think emo rocks.
^ :/

Rhombulus
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 am UTC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Rhombulus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:I think emo rocks.
Your definition of "emo" is what determines whether I agree with you.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 am UTC

I was sarcastically placing an 'unpopular musical opinion', though some people call the likes of Trist, Austere and Trancelike Void emo, those I like.
^ :/

Dew_N_O
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Dew_N_O » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Unpopular Musical Opinions !

-Most unpopular musical opinions are actually shared by millions of people, except for very specific things. A lot of people think the Beatles have like two good songs and are pretty "meh" otherwise. A lot of people think the Beatles are mediocre and simplistic pop. A lot of people prefer George and even Ringo to John and Paul, and a lot of people think Paul McCartney was holding John back with his attention to formulaic and simplistic pop. At least 70% of every musical forum, with the possible exception of Beatles forums, believes at least one of those statements. They're not wrong, necessarily, but they aren't unpopular. I choose the Beatles because these are the opinions which seem to reoccur in unpopular musical opinion threads most blatantly. I don't know if there *are* unpopular Beatles opinions, except by nebulous appeals to percentages.
-While I'm on the topic of the Beatles, here's another clue for you all: the best Beatle was Paul.
-Saying you don't like "newer rap" is an annoying thing to do. Don't do it. Not ever. It's fine to admit inexperience or dislike of what you have heard, or even disliking most or all of what you've heard on the radio, but when you dismiss an entire genre you become every attribute you dislike in other people. True story.
-I don't even really listen to many of the perennially disliked genres, but to categorically dismiss entire genres smacks of narcissism at best and cultural prejudice at worst.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Dew_N_O wrote:Unpopular Musical Opinions !

-Most unpopular musical opinions are actually shared by millions of people, except for very specific things. A lot of people think the Beatles have like two good songs and are pretty "meh" otherwise. A lot of people think the Beatles are mediocre and simplistic pop. A lot of people prefer George and even Ringo to John and Paul, and a lot of people think Paul McCartney was holding John back with his attention to formulaic and simplistic pop. At least 70% of every musical forum, with the possible exception of Beatles forums, believes at least one of those statements. They're not wrong, necessarily, but they aren't unpopular. I choose the Beatles because these are the opinions which seem to reoccur in unpopular musical opinion threads most blatantly. I don't know if there *are* unpopular Beatles opinions, except by nebulous appeals to percentages.
-While I'm on the topic of the Beatles, here's another clue for you all: the best Beatle was Paul.
-Saying you don't like "newer rap" is an annoying thing to do. Don't do it. Not ever. It's fine to admit inexperience or dislike of what you have heard, or even disliking most or all of what you've heard on the radio, but when you dismiss an entire genre you become every attribute you dislike in other people. True story.
-I don't even really listen to many of the perennially disliked genres, but to categorically dismiss entire genres smacks of narcissism at best and cultural prejudice at worst.
Oh take me you.

Essentially, you're also with the 'lack of negative vote' problem here.Take the states, say that every person there had a positive and a negative vote, the two party system would go away and the green's a chance. Negatives votes should really get there as it forces people to actually read all party's programmes, but that's another story. The relevant point is that one could say that that Neptune Towers sucks is unpopular, because few people have even heard of it. But if you get the ratio against the people that explicitly deny it, or have the reverse opinion, it weighs down.
^ :/

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:- Sound scorers like John Williams really suck
- -Clint Eastwood

Don't know if you're saying that Clint Eastwood's scores are similar to Williams's (who I think very rarely sucks), or that all film music composers are bad (???), but I watched Flags of Our Fathers a few weeks ago, and my, that one simple piano motif repeated throughout the whole film really became tiresome. I don't remember Eastwood's scores for Mystic River or Million Dollar Baby very well, but I don't think they were that repetitive...

User avatar
ExpatYankInBritain
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby ExpatYankInBritain » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

I have one particular musical opinion that isn't popular among my peers:

Most music made after 1980 is pretentious, over-commercialized crap (not that such music didn't exist prior to 1980, but that it's become more abundant from the 1980s onward).

User avatar
Gamma Ray
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 pm UTC
Location: Scotland

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gamma Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

People don't seem to be understanding the magnitude of the difference between "one hit wonder" and "an artist who has only done one good thing".

If an artist has, say, 5 albums, and only one song out of all of them is any good, this does not make them a one hit wonder. A one hit wonder is when an artist has only ever written and released one song (excluding any b-side to this), for example, Fast Food Rockers. Deerhunter cannot be a one hit wonder as they have 3 or 4 albums, and while one may have been more commercially successful than the others, the fact that there are others (among the fact that it's one HIT wonder, not one ALBUM) dismisses the possibility of them being a one hit wonder.

Seriously, how stupid can you be to claim Deerhunter as a one hit wonder?! That's not an unpopular opinion, it's just not true.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Gamma Ray wrote:If an artist has, say, 5 albums, and only one song out of all of them is any good, this does not make them a one hit wonder. A one hit wonder is when an artist has only ever written and released one song (excluding any b-side to this), for example, Fast Food Rockers.


By your arbitrary and highly opinionated definition of the term, 'one hit wonder', you are correct. By the definition everybody else uses, the definition you will find in every dictionary and in the opening pages of One Hit Wonders, I believe the matter is open to discussion.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:27 am UTC

Gamma Ray wrote:People don't seem to be understanding the magnitude of the difference between "one hit wonder" and "an artist who has only done one good thing".

If an artist has, say, 5 albums, and only one song out of all of them is any good, this does not make them a one hit wonder. A one hit wonder is when an artist has only ever written and released one song (excluding any b-side to this), for example, Fast Food Rockers. Deerhunter cannot be a one hit wonder as they have 3 or 4 albums, and while one may have been more commercially successful than the others, the fact that there are others (among the fact that it's one HIT wonder, not one ALBUM) dismisses the possibility of them being a one hit wonder.

Seriously, how stupid can you be to claim Deerhunter as a one hit wonder?! That's not an unpopular opinion, it's just not true.
People don't seem to be understanding that these discussions are effectively the reverse. It's not a debate about what 'one hit wonder' means, it's a debate about which concept gets to carry the prestigious name. Thou'rt holier than they?

Various Varieties wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:- Sound scorers like John Williams really suck
- -Clint Eastwood

Don't know if you're saying that Clint Eastwood's scores are similar to Williams's (who I think very rarely sucks), or that all film music composers are bad (???), but I watched Flags of Our Fathers a few weeks ago, and my, that one simple piano motif repeated throughout the whole film really became tiresome. I don't remember Eastwood's scores for Mystic River or Million Dollar Baby very well, but I don't think they were that repetitive...
Nah, just those type of simple 'dramatic' music, especially people who claim that Lux Aeterna is 'classical music' are funny. Besides, 'classical music' is a term that originated from the lack of knowledge of a lot of people. Proper term is 'common practice', as of course Bach was not a Roman of some sorts.
^ :/

User avatar
Smiling Hobo
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:42 am UTC

I don't really think Regina Spektor is that good. I actually think she's kind of annoying. Fiona Apple or whatever her name is, too.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

User avatar
Apocrypha
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Apocrypha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Not too many people seem to be defending the whole emo/emocore/screamo/hardcore/etc. genres [[which I hate with a passion, by the way. genres are far too broad and different by everyone's standards to be used effectively in my opinion]]
When I say emo, I mean the old definition: the emotional aspect, not sad /wrist trends and "Oh, I hate my life, woe is me" that people generally associate with emo. A lot of the emo stuff IS depressing and sad, and yes, some of it does have to do with mutilation and the like, but that's what makes its emotional, and people get the idea that it's too blown out of proportion.
Now, on to the [[seemingly]] unpopular view for this thread:
Screamo is life.
Hardcore is love.
Emo is everything.
I mean bands like Drop Dead, Gorgeous, Silverstein, Alesana, Parkway Drive, Escape The Fate, Greeley Estates, I Killed The Prom Queen, and the like.
Those genres, with the fast, hard, harsh, sad vocals are, to me, some of the truest music there is. Not to put down other music as false or anything, but everyone goes through shitty patches in their life, and this music fits. And not everyone talks about the good, so the bad is often the part that is advertised. I cannot stop listening to this music, everything is so flawless, so human, so painful. I'm not too sure where I'm going with all of this, so I'll end it here.
/disorganization
Life fears death, but lives only to die.
The only cure for this fear is total destruction.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist.
This is the world that all life desires.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 am UTC

Judge the music for the music, not for how "true" it is. If you were really concerned about music that expresses true pain, you'd listen to more Joy Division and Phil Ochs.

Paranatural
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Paranatural » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

-80's Hair Bands all suck. That goes for Guns & Roses, Pantera, Def Leopard, and all the rest. I think they were just going for 'Loud' and everything else was inconsequential. Yes, even the old stuff sucked.

That's probably the only one I have that most people would really get ornery about. I also dislike rap and country, but that is quite acceptable in geekdom.

User avatar
Apocrypha
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Apocrypha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

I don't mean that I listen to it because it's true, it just hits home for me, you know? I started listening to them just for the sounds, and it wasn't until I checked up on the lyrics and really listened that I appreciated it. I enjoyed it before, but I didn't appreciate it. If that makes any sense.
Life fears death, but lives only to die.
The only cure for this fear is total destruction.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist.
This is the world that all life desires.

Rhombulus
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 am UTC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Rhombulus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Apocrypha wrote:I don't mean that I listen to it because it's true, it just hits home for me, you know? I started listening to them just for the sounds, and it wasn't until I checked up on the lyrics and really listened that I appreciated it. I enjoyed it before, but I didn't appreciate it. If that makes any sense.
I get what you're saying. I started listening to Jawbreaker and the Get Up Kids because they both sounded alright, then I realized that the lyrics really were right on for that time in my life.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Paranatural wrote:I also dislike rap and country, but that is quite acceptable in geekdom.
Not really, no. I'm willing to conceded that the rap and country you've heard is not to your liking. But at least you did express your opinion as the problem being with you and not with the genres - ie "I don't like them" as opposed to "They suck".
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby 6453893 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 am UTC

Apocrypha wrote:I don't mean that I listen to it because it's true, it just hits home for me, you know? I started listening to them just for the sounds, and it wasn't until I checked up on the lyrics and really listened that I appreciated it. I enjoyed it before, but I didn't appreciate it. If that makes any sense.


Fair.

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:15 am UTC

I have a few opinions that would probably get me mauled with my friends (and make people I'd rather not associate with try to associate with me).

-I like country music. I always have, and I probably always will. I like some old stuff, and some new stuff. (Rant: I hate it when people say that they dislike new country music solely because it's different than old country music. I was taught that musical genres were supposed to change and evolve. I don't care if someone dosen't like the new direction, but when it's just because it's changed, it gets annoying.) Yes, a lot of it is kinda meaningless/repetitive, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

-Taylor Swift is a good artist. I like Taylor Swift, I'll admit it. Just because 5 million 12-year-old girls also like Taylor Swift, she must be horrible? Who wrote that rule? I feel like I'm maturing at the same pace as her lyrics and songs, and they really hit home with me (Which is odd, because she's about 4 years older than me). I especially like songs like Fifteen and Best Day. Fifteen, because it came out right after I turned fifteen during my freshman year, and totally described the general feeling of my entire class, and Best Day because it's really just a great song about family and mother/daughter relationships. (Of course, when I tried to get my mom to listen to the song, she blew me off for two days, and then didn't really care. At least I have the song).

-I don't think that because a song is on the Top 40 Charts, it is horrible and the artist must go to a Special Hell. Sure, some of the stuff is offensive, some is terrible, and some is meaningless. But most of it is good for just the general fell, the beat and the melody. I don't know, but I like some of it.

-Brittany Spears isn't the most horrible person in the world. There are plenty of people who are more screwed up, or have more messed up lives. She's not a particularly great artist, but she's predominantly an entertainer, not an artist, so that's okay. People write songs for her to sing, and then she performs them.

These aren't the only types of music I listen to, but they are the ones I can't admit to liking around my peers, who like Rock and Alternative Rock (and a bunch of other subgenres that I don't even know the names of).
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

User avatar
scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:48 pm UTC
Location: the great secrets of space
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:24 am UTC

oh yeah pop music can be good. i am eagerly awaiting justin timberlake's next album.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Cheshire
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby Cheshire » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:14 am UTC

The following post is filled with my opinion. My definition of good does not involve objectiveness.

- I don't care about artistry. Music is about entertainment.

- Anyone who cares about the talent or skill of an artist is a bad person.

- Popular music is better, by virtue of being popular, than unpopular/indie/underground music. Well not so much better as more useful.

- The beatles aren't good. I'm not saying this because I'm young. I'm not saying it because at least one of my parents like them. I'm saying it because I just genuinely don't think they sound good.

- Anyone who doesn't think Rap/Screamo/Inserttypeofmusictheydon'tlike is not music is a bad person.

- Top100 Music is where its at.

-Shallowness is a good quality in music (generally)

-Coldplay/Nickleback are cancer in music form.

- Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the disco are sexy awesome.

-Appearances do in fact alter how I enjoy music.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests