Recommend one artist

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:59 am UTC

zenja72 wrote:The Velvet Underground. Sweet Jane, Heroin, New Age, and Pale Blue Eyes are good starter songs.

I've been looking for some places to sample their songs... any suggestions?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 am UTC

My favorite VU songs are:
I'm waiting for the man
Lady Godiva's operation
Rock N Roll
Here she comes now
All tommorows parties

nuggetmonkey

Postby nuggetmonkey » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Youtube.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

nuggetmonkey wrote:

Youtube.

Ah, yes. Of course.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

Uber-pissed.... the Gradyshow has been cancelled in K-town, because the DRUMMER.... had a stroke.

Whoopee.

I want you all to listen to this song and tell me it's not a FUGGING TRAGEDY.

Grady - Hammer In My Hand.wma

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:16 am UTC

Just one? Screw that.

"Weird Al" Yankovic- White and Nerdy though almost all the songs are hilarious.

Nirvana- I can't decide. Pick a number between and included one and four. 1234 essentially the ones I've heard so far.

Rammstein- this time one and two. 12

Heh heh heh... past me was lame. ~ Some-Time-Later-Rodan
Last edited by Rodan on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:06 am UTC

I'd have to say Blind Guardian. Symphonic power metal FTW. Mirror Mirror and Otherland are good starting songs. If you don't like those, you probably won't like Blind Guardian. But if you like those, then definitely check out their album Nightfall in Middle-Earth, it's widely considered their magnum opus. (Wikipedia says it, so it must be true!)

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Can anyone recommend some softer Indy Rock similar to what the Shins did with Chutes Too Narrow and to a lesser extent their other two albums, the Kaiser Chiefs newer Album, Starlight Mints, Interpol, Modest Mouse's last 3 Albums, Magnetic Fields, The Hidden Cameras, Architecture In Helsinki, Nikola Sarcevic, Cold War Kids, Decemberists(Not so much but just so I don't get this as a response), The Hold Steady? I'm kinda running low on Indy/Alternative stuff that wouldn't normally get radio play.

As for good music that I like that I think other people should hear:

Astronautalis - A local battle rapper turned rockabilly country rap fusion who I won't miss if he plays here. His shows are great as he sings songs from his albums mixed with free styles he makes up on the spot using topics provided by the audience. I haven't listened to the first 2 songs on his myspace but the other 4 are great.

Grand Buffet - A rap duo from Pittsburgh - Very nerdy type rap but extremely fun to listen to and most of their live shows are half comedy act.

Rickolus - You probably won't ever see a commercial album from this dude. He looks like Buddy Holly and his on-stage performances are akin to interpretive dance. His myspace is hideous but I am die hard in love with his songs. If you like what he has out on his Myspace there should be more on his web site.

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Victorkm wrote:Can anyone recommend some softer Indy Rock similar to what the Shins did with Chutes Too Narrow and to a lesser extent their other two albums, the Kaiser Chiefs newer Album, Starlight Mints, Interpol, Modest Mouse's last 3 Albums, Magnetic Fields, The Hidden Cameras, Architecture In Helsinki, Nikola Sarcevic, Cold War Kids, Decemberists(Not so much but just so I don't get this as a response), The Hold Steady? I'm kinda running low on Indy/Alternative stuff that wouldn't normally get radio play.

I then recommend American Analog Set. They will soft-rock your brains out. In a very gentle manner. I loves them.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

zenja72

Postby zenja72 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:56 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:
zenja72 wrote:The Velvet Underground. Sweet Jane, Heroin, New Age, and Pale Blue Eyes are good starter songs.

Any decent online music store has previewing. Also, Barnes and Nobles has CD previewing.

Menace

Postby Menace » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland 1945

The entire "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" album is brilliant.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:25 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Get the album "In Our Bedroom After The War" it is IMMENSE.

But blame Ren, not me. She's the one who put me onto them in the first place.

Mmmm...YAY! I saw them live this past week. They are even BETTER live. And Torquil Campbell is the most charismatic frontman I've ever seen.

My band to recommend right now: Islands. They make me happy happy happy.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

The Edguy suggestion was pretty good. They actually sound a bit like Queensrÿche (particularly during the chorus). If you don't know Queensryche (yeah...only doing the umlaut once), they did an incredible concept album called "Operation: Mindcrime":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ej9thJmm5k

And I love Big Bad Voodoo Daddy!

B.C.

Postby B.C. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and throw Optimus Rhyme at you guys.
Nerdcore Funk Rock at it's finest.

http://www.optimusrhyme.com/

Seriously, you could play their stuff at a party full of frat boys and people would still dance to it.

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

B.C. wrote:I'm going to go ahead and throw Optimus Rhyme at you guys.

Seriously, you could play their stuff at a party full of frat boys and people would still dance to it.

Are you by any chance from the Seattle area? Optimus Rhyme is pretty awesome, I've seen them live twice!
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Just grabbing something I'm currently enjoying, I'll give you Bering Strait. (Sorry, no links) Great stuff, in my opinion - country from Russia. You might like Porushka-Paranya.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

B.C.

Postby B.C. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:25 am UTC

lowbrass wrote:
B.C. wrote:I'm going to go ahead and throw Optimus Rhyme at you guys.

Are you by any chance from the Seattle area? Optimus Rhyme is pretty awesome, I've seen them live twice!

Nope, I'm all the way down in Arizona. My "main" forums are the Penny Arcade forums, so I hear all about the bands coming to perform at PAX and what not and check them out.

djseptic

Postby djseptic » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Here's one I haven't yet seen recommended.

Brendan Benson. If you're a fan of The Raconteurs, he's the guy that sings half of the songs and is not Jack White. In fact, when I got The Raconteurs record, my first thought was, "Wow, this sounds exactly like I would've expected: Jack White mixed with Brendan Benson."

He's got three records, and a fourth is on the way, and it's a shame he isn't more well known outside of his collaboration with White. His first album, One Mississippi, is just a little slice of great, and it was completely ignored when it came out in the mid 90's. Due to lack of sales, Virgin Records dropped him, and the album became impossible to find (I am quite proud to say that I have an original pressing of it :mrgreen: ). A couple of years ago it was re-issued with additional tracks and some alternate takes, etc, and can be found at places like Amazon.com. This is the type of record that will be discovered one day, twenty years from now, by someone important at Rolling Stone and they will declare it a "lost classic" that everyone should own. Get a copy now and you'll be ahead of the curve. :lol:

These two videos are for songs from his second record, Lapalco (couldn't find any from the first one, sorry), but they're a good indication of his stuff.

Tiny Spark
If part of this sounds familiar, I think a snippet of this was used in a Volkswagen commercial a few years back.

Metarie
Ladies and Gentlemen... My Blog!

Droooo

Postby Droooo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

I got confused there djseptic. I have a friend who uses that exact King Crimson album cover for all their avatars, etc. and I thought he'd suddenly found xkcd.
Like Drooo but 10x better.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

The pixies!

I don't know about youtube, or anything, but 'All over the world' and 'Gouge away' are good. 'Where is my mind' is at the end of Fight Club.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

parsonsb
301st Spartan (Overslept)

Postby parsonsb » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:45 am UTC

I'm going to go with Yes, I absolutely love Fragile, Close to the Edge, and The Yes Album

the vocal harmonies are amazing, Steve Howe is a master at the guitar, Bill Bruford is by far my favorite drummer of all time next to John Bonham, and all the songs on these albums are put together really well in my opinion

AltoidAddict

Postby AltoidAddict » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

Lifter Puller - Let's Get Incredible

If you've ever heard of the Hold Steady, they've got the same singer. I tried finding something on youtube, but it was a bad quality live song, and they seemed pretty drunk.
Too bad all their albums are out of print. If you can find the album Fiestas and Fiascos, I strongly recommend Lifter Puller vs the End of the Evening and The Flex and the Buff Result.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

parsonsb wrote:I'm going to go with Yes, I absolutely love Fragile, Close to the Edge, and The Yes Album

the vocal harmonies are amazing, Steve Howe is a master at the guitar, Bill Bruford is by far my favorite drummer of all time next to John Bonham, and all the songs on these albums are put together really well in my opinion

Fragile and Close to the Edge for the winnage.

Speaking of prog rock, I reccomend Premiata Forneria Marconi, an italian band, especially their album "Per Un Amico". http://youtube.com/watch?v=esHEPt41Sjc
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:15 am UTC

I'll go with Rush. They've been around for a while and are still going strong.

Red Barchetta
Subdivisions
The Larger Bowl (off a new album released earlier this year)

Herr Mors

Postby Herr Mors » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 am UTC

The artist I'll recommend is popular by most standards, though I can never bring him up without getting "Ewww, you know he's gay, right?" or "He's a fagot, literally." in school.

Elton John.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJj1JPZLJto
Someone Saved my Life Tonight

I'm not sure what the opinion of him here is, but I love the music.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP09piedtAk

they dont really make videos, but this is a semi-decent recording, although one of the tamest EitS shows i've witnessed O_o. anyway, imagine listening to this, staring out an airplane window at 24k feet at sunrise. breathtaking.

another (out of... well ALL of them) beautiful song: The Only Moment We Were Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtW67TCAn0E

------

i'd also like to throw out Royksopp

Eple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl4rwMZWATs
What Else Is There: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOt15JsLloU
Only this Moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2BGQWeOgY <-- <3<3<3

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:09 am UTC

Atmosphere - Always Comin' Back Home to You.

Youtube video here. It's not an actual *Video* but the song is there.
Live version here.
Lyrics here.

Also, Baby Mammoth. Crack Phase One and Motion Without Pain. Neither are lyrical, and neither are on youtube.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Because i'm such an amazingly biased person on techno and anime. I will say Dj Sharpnel. And if you horridly despise him, well just fucking boo - hoo :lol:

In all seriousness, this guy just puts everything in to his music, even risking sounding too much of anything.

Let him be overplayed, let him be in any fashion dissed, cause i have *yet* to see someone top that fucking creativity, heart, and soul. Let him wane in power, i'll still listen to one of his 20+ albums, or one of his 300+ songs, that make me dream dreams. ^^;

/euphoria

Linkage:

Blue Noah 2006
I'm A Maid
On the Kick Kick
World Sound [Zenon]
Live at Happy Dynamite - Tokyo, Japan
Blue Army

Again... i'll post more with time. Class just ended.. gotta jet!

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

reishka wrote:Atmosphere - Always Comin' Back Home to You.

Youtube video here. It's not an actual *Video* but the song is there.
Live version here.
Lyrics here.

Also, Baby Mammoth. Crack Phase One and Motion Without Pain. Neither are lyrical, and neither are on youtube.

I prefer the single from the same Album as Always Comin' Back Home to You, Tryin' to Find a Balance

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Victorkm wrote:I prefer the single from the same Album as Always Comin' Back Home to You, Tryin' to Find a Balance

I think part of the reason why I like ACBHY so much is because part of it is about reminisce. I used to talk the streets of Dallas when I was younger, and it really brings back feelings of living in the moment, of people watching and things going on.

I really have to be in the right mood to appreciate Trying to Find a Balance.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Earlier I said I would share. Luckily for you I'll keep that promise.

Anyway: It's Mystery Repeats, the second album by Pete Philly and Perquisite. Their first got a lot of critical acclaim, so a lot of people, including me, feared the second-album-syndrome. Luckily, they lived up to the expectations. Mine anyway.

How can I describe it? It's as if these guys took jazz, hip hop, classical music and sounds from all over the world and threw them in a big blender. There's the Clap Kick Flow, which is actually comprised of nothing but Pete Philly's vocals, Traveller, with a 3-minute Spanish-influenced intro that reminds me of Ojos de Brujo, the very very spacy piano-driven song aptly named High Tide, Mystery repeats with its violins and of course Q & A, which comes closest to pure hip hop. Perquisite seems to be able to turn any sound into an awesome song. The lyrics are just as good: "My lyrics ain't gotta be deep / Nope, they gotta be real / Represent something that I feel". My description doesn't do the album any justice, I guess you will have to see (or rather, listen) for yourself. In any case, even if you're not that into hip hop, check these guys out.

Now check these guys out and buy their album.

edit: I forgot - lamahange.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:16 am UTC

If you are into heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, post metal, ambient, drone, whatever you want to call it...Isis is the band for you.

Their most recent album, In The Absence of Truth, was released in 2006. The band itself is only ten years old, but they can be pretty easily divided into two different eras. When they were younger, they were very heavy, employing a muddy sound with strained, screaming, vocals.

Their Oceanic (2002) release sort of changed everything, and this album, along with Panopticon (2004) and In The Absence of Truth, has expanded on their post-metal sound.

It is difficult to think of Isis in terms of single songs. Each album has tracks that are all linked. I would say it's easier to think of their music as telling a story or exploring a theme.

Their website:
http://www.isistheband.com/Home.aspx

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Absence_of_Truth

Some youtube links (good ones are hard to find):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EricOG-K2ZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7Ez7yCyA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi3yHA_GxAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gYmOGCdw9k
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Stief

Re: Recommend one artist

Postby Stief » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Re:

Postby no-genius » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Dostoevsky wrote:My favorite VU songs are:
I'm waiting for the man
Lady Godiva's operation
Rock N Roll
Here she comes now
All tommorows parties

I like 'sunday morning'. The feeling that there's something nasty you're better off not knowing.

I recommend Mogwai.

From the depths of youtubes: Friend of the Night, Hunted by a Freak, Stanley Kubrick, Christmas Steps (live) and Punk Rock:, which I'm just about to watch.
Also they have a podcast of some of their songs. and I love Explosions in the Sky - I wanna see them next January :)

Edit: Cody (not a video) :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Poopraham Lincoln

Postby Poopraham Lincoln » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:03 am UTC

Man, you want epic, I give you Godspeed You! Black Emperor. These guys are a bunch of Canadian anarchists, but if you can get past that, they make some of the most amazing instrumental music you will ever hear.

To Victorkm, and anyone else who wants some good indy rock: The Bedtime and Colour Revolt. Sorry to break the rules, but these bands are simply fantastic at what they do. They are both pretty small, so you might have to hunt for their music, but its worth it.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:06 am UTC

something out of left field (strange I don't get baseball metaphors either)

Great Big Sea
some sample music is available on their wobsite: http://www.greatbigsea.com
This space intentionally left blank.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:48 am UTC

RUSSIAN ROCK/METAL is the real deal.

Specifically, I would recommend Ария, Би-2, Кипелов, and Слот.
Argh! I can't embed urls with cyrillic letters, so I'll just paste the links to their last.fm pages:

Ария: http://www.last.fm/music/Ария
Би-2: http://www.last.fm/music/Би-2
Кипелов: http://www.last.fm/music/Кипелов
Слот: http://www.last.fm/music/Слот

Also, Apocalyptica is a good Finnish band. They play metal on electric Cellos.

Youtube:
Ария:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dGQYxX0pndE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mpqif-0nfA0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0QwPLCZgDg
Би-2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ehoxfo4cjQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vOb7JvpUM1w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XASAjkNKVV4&mode=related&search=
Кипелов:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aJoBwxUKH8s
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oju9_io40eU
Слот:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tDJNTd18ANA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQ47JG_GljU
Apocalyptica:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aFW7oTEqKgc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Ssdd50UfOc

Enjoy! :D
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

George Orr

Postby George Orr » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Josh Ritter is an artist I would wholeheartedly recommend. His music is in the vein of folk-rock; a mix of guys like Dylan and Springsteen, but also very unique and with a lot of energy.

This is a Youtube video of one of his songs played live. Check out other stuff of his, too, because it's very varied.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:15 am UTC

WAIT!

Did someone mention The Velvet Underground and not mention Venus in Furs?? Surely not!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Return to “Music”