It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

OmegaLord
LXIX

Re: Recommend one artist

Postby OmegaLord » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

UNRECOMMENDED FOR RULE-BREAKING!

^formerly like 80 artists.
Last edited by OmegaLord on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Is the point not to recommend an artist not already incredibly mainstream?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

Yes, but many of them are not mainstream!

(HINT: I just copied and pasted from my blag. I didn't feel like weeding things out.)
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:29 am UTC

The title of this thread is "Recommend ONE artist", not "recommend all the artists you think are cool".

Because if it were, I would be here for quite a while listing bands.

And, basically every band you listed was mainstream.

Maybe this is a good thread for you, if those are the only bands you listen to. You can check out other people's recommendations, too, and expand your musical taste. :)

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Well, if I have to pick one, at the moment it would be Abney Park.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:The title of this thread is "Recommend ONE artist", not "recommend all the artists you think are cool".

Because if it were, I would be here for quite a while listing bands.

And, basically every band you listed was mainstream.

Maybe this is a good thread for you, if those are the only bands you listen to. You can check out other people's recommendations, too, and expand your musical taste. :)

I posted 3 but it was 3 different genres so I guess I'm still cool.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:36 am UTC

I like the Stars recc from a while ago! Any new band that uses brass and strings makes me happy.

Mine would be the now-defunct Caroline's Spine. Look (probably their most famous; used to have the most heartbreaking video, but I can't find it at the moment) see & listen wooo!
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:39 am UTC

I'm really into Spoon right now. I discovered them from a mixed CD someone sent me, and I've been hooked ever since. *Every* song I've heard of theirs, I absolutely love.

Make sure you find more songs of theirs, as every one of their songs is different and equally awesome!

EDIT: I also found out (after I looked them up) that one of their songs was used on The OC. I puked a bit in my mouth when I found that out. :|
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Sigh.

I wish people would stop being so ridiculously bigoted when it comes to such matters. The OC actually used some remarkably good music throughout the series. Were it not for the show I'd never have discovered many an artist who now take pride of place among my favourites, for example Iron & Wine, Bang Gang, The Album Leaf, etc
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:58 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Sigh.

I wish people would stop being so ridiculously bigoted when it comes to such matters. The OC actually used some remarkably good music throughout the series. Were it not for the show I'd never have discovered many an artist who now take pride of place among my favourites, for example Iron & Wine, Bang Gang, The Album Leaf, etc

Bigoted? Not liking a TV show is being bigoted?

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify my post. I didn't "puke in my mouth" (which was a hyperbole by the way, in case you didn't recognize that.) because The OC uses bad music. It was because I don't like The OC and I didn't like the thought that such a band was associated with the aformentioned show.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Hmm. Ok yes I guess I can understand that, it often upsets me to hear my beloved Sigur Ros in the most inappropriate of contexts...most recently during an ad for a local sports station. It just used to bother me when I'd recommend an artist to someone and mention that I'd discovered them via The OC to be met with an absolute refusal to entertain the recommendation for this sole reason.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:20 am UTC

marshlight wrote:I like the Stars recc from a while ago! Any new band that uses brass and strings makes me happy.

Mine would be the now-defunct Caroline's Spine. Look (probably their most famous; used to have the most heartbreaking video, but I can't find it at the moment) see & listen wooo!

Woohoo, more people for Stars plz.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Mask. Well, I don't know what they've done except be FREAKING AWESOME IN A LORD OF THE RINGS SOUNDTRACK.

It's an orchestra, and it's amazing to the twelfth degree. Holy crap. Seriously, guys, some of you may not understand. Listen to it. Buy it. I listened to it for like a day straight and it didn't get old.

[Edit: It's not classical. Strings != classical. Genius.]
Last edited by Phi on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Nightwish- Symphonic Power Metal. I never like metal, but this stuff is awesome. Recommend especially Ghost Love Score, Higher Than Hope, and Dark Chest of Wonders.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

myspace, bleh.

I already did mogwai, but '2 rights make 1 wrong' is one of the best songs ever. It even has garylightbody on it :shock:

Brian Jonestown Massacre have a new album, the torrent is on their website.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Bleh yourself.

For your royal highness...
Focus on the Rollercoaster
Circle 1
Fat Cat Records wrote:Mice Parade
Mice Parade was originally the solo project of New Yorker Adam Pierce, who has also drummed in Swirlies, The Dylan Group, HiM and múm, and runs the Bubble Core label and distribution company.

From its outset, Mice Parade has shown a boldly inventive and highly individual take on post-rock / electronica. Following 1998's Bubble Core album, 'The True Meaning Of BoddleyBaye', their first FatCat album, 'Ramda' (‘99), forged a distinctive, immersive audio space of piled-up percussion and atmospheric, hook-laden melodics.

2001 saw the release of a third album, ‘Mokoondi’, which marked a shift in the Mice Parade sound, including the increased influence of Eastern harmonics and African beats, and the formation of a proper band of musicians. What started out as a studio project has since developed into a full touring band, based around the cheng (Chinese harp) and a two-drumkit rhythm section, with HiM’s Doug Scharin on the other kit. Also in accompaniment are vibes, violin, classical guitar, rhodes piano and old synths, forging Mice Parade into a seriously talented and energetic live unit.

A new single 'Focus On The Rollercoaster' was released in December 2003, and followed by an album, 'Obrigado Suadade', the following month. This album, Mice Parade's third for FatCat, saw the band moving into a poppier, more accessible terrain, with Pierce introducing full vocals for the first time, including contributions on several tracks by Kristin from múm.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

as in 'Mice parade, mice parade, wave the flag that the mice made'?

It's not that I don't like myspace, but I've been trying to delete my account for about a month, and they won't send me the email. Which makes me a sad panda
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

Mice Parade is an anagram of Adam Pierce's name.

Prole

Postby Prole » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

Indie goodness

Tegan and sara

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

If I had to recomend ONE artist:

Ben Folds, both him solo and him in "Ben Folds Five"

Get all of their albums:

Ben Folds Five
Whatever and Ever Amen
Naked Baby Photos
The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
Rockin' the Suburbs
Songs for Silverman
Supersunnyspeedgraphic

ALL OF THEM

cheese_nabber

Postby cheese_nabber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 am UTC

It is difficult to pick one to suggest, so I'll just give you what I'm listening to right now.

Flogging Molly - Whats Left of the Flag
This signature does not exist.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

хлэб и Воля

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:11 pm UTC

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:I'm gonna recommend The Strokes. Here's my favourite song (although the video is boring.) They're a great indie rock band.

...I was gonna recommend The Strokes the second I see this topic title... I go in, and it just so happens to you recommend the same band as I do. :(

I'll recommend Aqueduct, The Flaming Lips, and Harvey Danger, then.

tiny

Postby tiny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

I recommend Trespassers William.
Soft, sad music around a frail, sweet voice and great lyrics. Perfect for rainy days and acute cases of inconsolable melancholy or heartaches.
*'Lie in the Sound'
*'Different Stars'
*'Matching Weight'
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:MICE PARADE
Mice Parade is awesome, he's made some of my favourite music ever. Ever since I bought Mokoondi, 6 years ago, I've been hooked. Been waiting to see him play live since then, and a few weeks ago I finally got the chance. It was everything I'd hoped for. I think he's really strict with his touring musicians, demanding precision, because they were tight.

It's beautiful, layered music with steady, rhythmic drumming (he has two drummers when he plays live, along with a percussionist), guitars that are partly indie-sounding (whatever that means), and partly some kind of jazz / tribal guitar work (not too sure how to describe it). Vibraphones, synthesizers, and sometimes subtle singing fleshes it all out, with long drawn out songs that ebb and flow.

no-genius: If you like Nick Drake, you'd probably like Mice Parade.

Recommendation: The Cinematic Orchestra

Link to artist site.

Description: The Cinematic Orchestra is a British-based jazz and electronic outfit. They've done stuff with jazz singer Fontella Bass, Roots Manuva, they did a soundtrack to the black and white film 'Man with a Movie Camera', and ... are just generally awesome.

I know some of you watch Grey's Anatomy. Wikipedia tells me that "The song "To Build A Home" from the album Ma Fleur was prominently used on the ABC medical drama Grey's Anatomy on September 27, 2007."

I am going to see them perform tonight, here:

royal albert hall.jpg
royal albert hall.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

*swoon*

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Recommendation: The Cinematic Orchestra
I am going to see them perform tonight, here:
Big beautiful venue...

*swoon*

:shock:

Can Cara come?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

I really want to make a joke here, but you've had enough of your words turned into double entendres. Have you listened to the band yet?

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I really want to make a joke here, but you've had enough of your words turned into double entendres. Have you listened to the band yet?

Tbh I thought it far too obvious a wordplay to warrant such.

And yessssss, I have, they're rather...well, their name is perfect, let's say, and that setting looks as much too. Reminds me of when Sigur Rós were playing in some Scandinavian country last year in an open air opera house that was built into a glacier...I'd have sold my own grandmother to have seen that.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Hmmm I reccomend Rachael Yamagata
She has a lovely jazzy style and voice, for a song try Letter Read.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:21 am UTC

My recomendation would be Duke Special - he's got a vaudeville feel, and has some ace songs. In fact, I've not heard a song by him yet that I didn't love.

This is his MySpace page.

This is a video of one of my favourite songs "Everybody Wants A Little Somthing".
Last edited by The Spherical Cow on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Anybody who hasn't listened to Porcupine Tree should do so.

They are, at least, my favourite progressive rock band of these times.

Grommy

Postby Grommy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Okkervil River.

Both this song and this song are spectacular and should give you a feel for the band.

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

Chad VanGaalen. Not only are his songs kickass, he animates his own music videos for them.
Flower Gardens is more rock-esque and [ur=http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5CwHXPp4rU]Red Hot Drops[/url] is more his usual chill style. The music videos for both are phenominally trippy.
I sing anyway.

squarebracket

Postby squarebracket » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:06 am UTC

Two artists:

Decomposure: A bit hard to stick him in a genre, since he kind of crosses many boundaries. Perhaps the closest would be "electro-pop" but it doesn't do him justice. You can check his myspace page, his Radio3 page, and a youtube video.

Wintersleep: Let's call them "indie rock." Their last album "Untitled" was better in my opinion than their most current one; It included a lot more awesome drumming and time signature crazyness. But their new one is still good. Myspace page, couple videos of songs from "Untitled": Fog, Jaws Of Life. There a bunch more if you just search for Wintersleep.
Syphon wrote:The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the asymptote.

Stief

Postby Stief » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Maximum the hormone, they did the opening and ending songs for Death Note...or at least the second half of the series...they're a great Japanese metal band ^_^
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

So many to choose from, some already been listed which narrows it down a bit.

Agalloch has already been mentioned, they're good but their newest album is their weakest in my opinion. Their earlier work, where they were more of a metal band and less of a metal-flavored (but still excellent) rock band, is more memorable and engaging.

Anyway, my pick is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I own all their albums, including the vinyl edition of their first. It's some of the most beautiful, haunting, bleak, and downright apocalyptic music I've ever listened to. Post-rock, but of a much more sprawling and epic scope than bands like Explosions in the Sky (who aren't bad at all) could ever hope to be.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Godspeed rather terrified me for an age, I just found them to be so pretentious and inaccessible, but I slowly made my way towards them via the likes of Esmerine and more aptly A Silver Mt Zion....I think it was just a matter of being weaned. They do post-apocolyptic post-rock like no other.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

I agree so much on A (The) (Thee) Silver Mt. Zion (etc.). I find it more accessible than Godspeed, and the melodies are more uplifting. I love putting on Horses in the Sky at work, and wandering around in a trance while no one else notices the music at all.

I'm going to continue the topic with someone I mentioned around here before, but who can't be talked up too much. Philip Jeck is a turntablist who make music from noises created by old scratched vinyl and locked grooves. He builds delicate, intricate landscapes of sound and broken, shifting rhythms on delay loops. I would hazard a guess that a Godspeed You Black Emperor! fan would really like this man. There is no streaming audio on his website, so here's a Youtube link. It doesn't do him justice at all, it's camera phone at best, but from about 90 seconds in there's some very typical piano stuff. Just enough for a taste.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Return to “Music”