Concept Albums

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Apemeat

Re: Concept Albums

Postby Apemeat » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery

Good call. Do you love Moonlight City Drive as much as I do?
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 am UTC

I don't know what a lot of you seem to be basing your definitions on but for me a concept album is an album that actually tells a story. Like The Who's Tommy or Pink Floyd's The Wall. I don't see how Dark Side of the Moon is a concept album.

So my favourite concept albums:

The Human Equation by Ayreon
The Wall by Pink Floyd
Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche
Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

MaverickTwo

Postby MaverickTwo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Pretty much everything The Fiery Furnaces put out has been a concept album, although with some weird concepts. My favorite was Bitter Tea, the concept of which was "songs we think a love-sick teenage girl would write". So they claim anyway, I really couldn't tell. But still good stuff.

Ney

Postby Ney » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

My favourite two is;

Leaether Strip - Seranade for the dead.
Future sound of london - Lifeforms

I also love The Wall, and I'm getting crucified for this, but here goes :)

Green Day - American Idiot

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:09 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote: I don't see how Dark Side of the Moon is a concept album.

DSOTM is a concept album because the whole album deals with the theme of various pressures in modern life and how they affect us. That is, the entire album has a singular concept.

Wikipedia says a concept album is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical". You are using concept album to mean rock opera. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_opera
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC

But in that case aren't most albums concept albums?

I mean you can say any Anathema album is a concept album because it deals with sadness or Slayer because they deal with anger, right?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:40 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote:So my favourite concept albums:

Have you heard 01011001 yet?
I think it's definitely better than THE. Exponentially so, even.
I've been waiting for the chance to whore this album. XD

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:02 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
l33t_sas wrote:So my favourite concept albums:

Have you heard 01011001 yet?
I think it's definitely better than THE. Exponentially so, even.
I've been waiting for the chance to whore this album. XD

Yeah I've heard it and I liked it a lot, especially since some people seem to be slagging it off. I have to admit that the lyrics are cringe-worthy though. And I want to punch Arjen in the face for the title but apart from that, it was awesome. I love listening to the bits with Anneke, Jorn, Jonas and Daniel. I'm not sure if you'd call it better than THE but maybe that's just because I loved hearing the heavy vocals of Aekerfeldt and Devin Townsend on it. 01011001 needed someone like that on it, methinks. Still, it IS awesome. I'm glad there's at least one other Ayreon fan here.

bucket

Re:

Postby bucket » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Tales Don't Tell Themselves - Funeral For A Friend. Definitely another leap in Funeral's sound, this album is basically: fisherman goes out to sea, ship gets hit by a freak wave, fisherman is the only survivor, search for man gets called off, man think about his life, man eventually makes it home. All in all, a lovely album. The use of classical elements and instruments in this album makes it a winner.

Trainwreck - Boys Night Out. The album starts with a man killing his wife in his sleep and his subsequent psychological breakdown. The concept is amazing, and i like how most of the songs work, however, it's not a musical masterpiece.

The Alchemy Index series - Thrice. This is a set of four mini-albums revolving around the four elements - earth, air, fire and water

Armor For Sleep's first two albums revolve around dreaming and the afterlife, respectively. While they have their good points, i've come to find that the singer has an annoying voice and doesn't write amazing lyrics.

taggedunion wrote:Nobody's mentioned Coheed and Cambria yet?

Wow.

Their albums are great :)

serviett

Postby serviett » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

The Flashbulb - These Open Fields for those of you that are into melodic breakcore, or, that's what he usually makes, anyway. TOF isn't very "break" nor is it "core". Sad, semi-electronic music. The artist made this album to deal with the loss of his grandfather.

Julian Berntzen - Waffy Town
A very beautiful album from a Norwegian artist which, sadly, none of you have probably even heard about. Every song on the album is about a person, place or historical event in the imaginary Waffy Town, and it's absolutely adorable and very well written. I don't listen to this kind of music and even I love it.

Mike Oldfield - Amarok
This is a single musical piece, an hour long. There are 8 small melodical themes, and usually any two of them (or more) are playing at the same time, intricatly mixed into the music, which itself passes through a multitude of genres and moods. Amazing stuff, especially for music-nerds who love to spot all the appearances of the different themes. I've listened to this album 50+ times and still find something new every time.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I listen to most "concept albums" without actually thinking of them as having a particular concept. Usually the concept is obscure and I only realise it has a concept when i've been told about it. However some albums have an obvious concept and vastly improve the listening of the album. Ones I can think of are:

A Grand Don't Come For Free - The Streets
The Wall - Pink Floyd
DSOTM - Pink Floyd (although the concept isn't totally obvious here, but maybe i can just see it because ive listened to it too much. I love the concept in the album though.)
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
And if it counts, '64-'95 - Lemon Jelly

By the way, since when has OK Computer been a concept album? What's the concept?

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:By the way, since when has OK Computer been a concept album? What's the concept?

Angst in a modern, dystopian world, though that's arguably the 'concept' behind, uh, every single song Radiohead have ever released. Radiohead claim not to have intended for it to be a concept album, so the point is essentially moot.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Hmmm, ok. I think if it wasn't intended for an album to have an underlying concept in any form, then it can't really be classed as a concept album. Its just simply someone interpreting a piece of work in a way. Most albums could be construed to be concept albums if you manage to connect enough dots.

I can see how there is a vague connection between the songs of OK Computer, but i'm sure that's just because they were a bunch of songs written around the same time - like most albums.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

I agree that OK Computer is not a concept album - especially because Radiohead says it's not. However, there is a unifying theme that unites them all, which separates it out from an album of songs just written at that time.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Marillion had two; "Misplaced Childhood" with Fish singing, then "Brave" later on with Steve Hogarth singing. The former about Fish's alcoholism, the latter about a suicidal girl.

"Brave" is my favorite album of all time. Very moving.

grant

Postby grant » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

i guess concept albums are just albums where it seems like the artists had some concern for the project as a unified whole, as opposed to an album where the individual tracks are 'hits' to be marketed separately.

Song cycles were pretty popular in the 19th century are a pretty neat 'concept' sort of package. kinda like an opera for at home. where a series of poems are set to music, and presented as a whole. quite interesting stuff.
Schumann - Dichterliebe (a poet's love)
or
Schubert - Die Schöne Müllerin
would be a few examples.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Uhh... Protomen anyone?

I am surprised they haven't been mentioned yet. I mean, it's a rock opera based on a classic video-game series; figured that'd be a no-brainer with this crowd.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

l33t_sas wrote:I don't know what a lot of you seem to be basing your definitions on but for me a concept album is an album that actually tells a story. Like The Who's Tommy or Pink Floyd's The Wall. I don't see how Dark Side of the Moon is a concept album.
Necromancing an old thread, but thought I'd spout my input on this:

Concept albums come in (overpolarizing this, but you get the idea) two varieties: stories (rock operas) and abstract concepts. DSOTM definitely falls into the latter category. If you at all are interested in the album, I highly recommend the "making of" DVD that came out several years ago, it's very interesting. Until I watched this DVD, I didn't realize it was a concept album either, but they very clearly explain it. It's an album about life, and it's more prominent facets. "Speak To Me" is about communication; "Breathe" is sort of the title track ("life"); "On the Run" is about travel; "Money" is about ...well, money (or 'commerce', if you don't want to use the word, 'money', again); "The Great Gig in the Sky" is about religion; "Brain Damage" is about insanity and institutions; "Us and Them" is about people clashing (of which "war" is the most obvious example); "Any Colour You Like" is about visuals/seeing/television; and so on. It was all very deliberate.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is another that falls in the abstract category.

Pink World (by Planet P Project, Tony Carey by any other name) is one of my favourite "unsung" great albums. It's a story-based one, as is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of H.G. Wells' 'War of the Worlds' (I believe that's the full title).
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Thu May 08, 2008 2:26 am UTC

American Idiot has to be my favorite, not just concept, but of all the albums I've ever listened to. Don't understand why people hate it so much.

Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. Tells the story of a man dying of cancer, and his reflections on his life.
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Zero

Postby Zero » Thu May 08, 2008 3:32 am UTC

I'd say "The Sky Moves Sideways" by Porcupine Tree. And so many albums by Mike Oldfield, especially "The Songs of Distant Earth", based on the book of Arthur C. Clarke (R.I.P.) with the same name.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

The Kinks - Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society
The first is a rock opera; the latter a concept album around the theme of nostalgia for British traditions. Both are superb.

Gorillaz - Demon Days
Not really a concept album, but the accompanying videos and art book (which is brilliant, by the way) do sort-of tell a story, so I'm using that as an excuse to mention it. :mrgreen:

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri May 16, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Light of Day, Day of Darkness.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon May 19, 2008 12:51 am UTC

Lots of stuff by Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and Mike Oldfield as have been mentioned already.

But also Snow by Spock's Beard is a great concept album.

Fate

Postby Fate » Mon May 19, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Protest The Hero - Kezia and their new album Fortress. Fortress a concept album, but it all centers around Goddess Worship and the sacred feminine, which I think is awesome and the music is amazing.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu May 29, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

A lot of what I wanted to say has been said already.

yay Fiery Furnaces! Personally, my favourite by far is Rehearsing my choir which is stories from their Grandmother's [imagined?] life.
David Bowie's Diamond Dogs is probably my favourite concept album of his - apparently it was supposed to be a film.
As for Queen, I've always taken Queen II to be their concept album, though I do now know them as well as I might - it plays a lot like a trip through a chessboard fairytale.
Also, I'd say that pretty much anything Magma does is by default a concept album. I'd say they're pretty much a concept band.

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Thu May 29, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Yeah, Diamond dogs is great.

I too imagine Queen II as a concept album. I think it's about the theme of love, and what love can acomplish and different types of love. We see a story of a man journey to resurect a dead love only to find that when she is resurected she is evil. Funny how love is seems to act as a conclusion, with Seven Seas of Rhye being an epilouge of sorts showing another threat coming, and while it comes off as a bit rediculous at first, at the end it is revealed that the narrator of Seven Seas of Rhye is also motivated by love ("and when it's mine, I'll take you too the seven seas of Rhye").

Of course, I could just be imagining all of these connections. :P

The Radio Gnome Invisible albums by Gong are good concept albums (my favorite being "The Flying Teapot", I havn't heard "You" yet)

HiFiFoci

Re:

Postby HiFiFoci » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 am UTC

taggedunion wrote:Nobody's mentioned Coheed and Cambria yet?

Wow.

Oh, I went back and checked, and it looks like we're simply looking at people's favorites, not good albums. Too bad.

Top 5 in no order
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Awake - Dream Theater (If it isn't considered a concept album then I think it's close enough)
Lateralus - Tool(ditto)
Wish You We're Here - Pink Floyd

It didn't take long to write this one; it wasn't like a desert island list. But I had to really think about which concept albums meant something to me, and weren't just songs with words that had a unifying story. Lets use this: The album has to be like a cake that looks and tastes the same; it should be appreciated as an album. Now, if it simply tastes the same but looks like a garbage bin, or vice versa, it's not a good concept album. This is why I'm bashing coheed and cambria. The songs don't flow and ebb in the same fashion, but stick with their emo-core sound.
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

Return to “Music”