Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

charliepanayi

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:16 am UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:Well, it is a JJ Abrams movie so I fully expect there to be many actors playing immediately identifiable simple stereotypes that never undergo any character development or real dramatic scenes. The lack of emotional connection to anyone in the cast is supposed to be made up for with a fast moving if illogical plot, many action scenes and a constant stream of jokes. You know, like everything else he's ever made.

That doesn't sound so bad to me.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:Character identity spoilers:

Spoiler:
I know I worry too much, but… do you think this movie might have too many villains? According to this and other articles, it looks like there are at least four – Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma, Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke, and Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux. It doesn't seem like you could really flesh out four villain characters in one movie. Do you think one or more of them might be minor in terms of screentime, with Hux being akin to characters like Veers and Piett, or Snoke being akin to the Emperor in TESB?

Come to think of it, there are a lot of non-villains too. It looks like Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3PO and R2-D2 will all be present, plus three new main heroes played by Boyega, Ridley and Isaac, plus Lupita Nyong'o, plus the cute robot, plus whatever Max von Sydow is… How are they gonna cram all these people into one movie?

Well, how many villains were there in previous Star Wars movies?
Star Wars (1977) had the fewest, because (after the initial scene with Vader and Leia), it eased us into the boring life of Luke as it became more and more exciting. Major villains, just one (Darth Vader), minor villains Greedo, Jabba (in the remake anyway), and Grand Moff Tarkin. (And other minor antagonists, like those two guys in Mos Eisley, the Jawas, the Sand People, the dianoga (garbage octopus), the storm troopers, etc.)

Empire still had Vader as the only main villain (the Emperor was introduced as being obviously worse than Vader, but didn't get much screen time), and secondary villains like Bobba Fett and Lando (that doesn't need a spoiler, does it?) and several of Vader's generals/admirals. (And the Wampa (Space Yeti).)

Jedi had the most - major villains Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Jabba the Hutt, and Bobba Fett, with minor villains such as Jabba's underlings and again Vader's military commanders. (And the Rancor and the Sarlacc!)

In the prequels, I think each movie had two or three big villains (obviously including Palpatine in all three) and several lesser ones.

So in summation, I don't think four villains (that we know of at this point) is a big deal. Probably two are the Big Bads (like Vader and the Emperor), and the others are significant minibosses (like Jabba and Bobba Fett) to give the movie more plot points and make it more interesting.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:50 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Lazar wrote:Character identity spoilers:

Spoiler:
I know I worry too much, but… do you think this movie might have too many villains? According to this and other articles, it looks like there are at least four – Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma, Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke, and Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux. It doesn't seem like you could really flesh out four villain characters in one movie. Do you think one or more of them might be minor in terms of screentime, with Hux being akin to characters like Veers and Piett, or Snoke being akin to the Emperor in TESB?

Come to think of it, there are a lot of non-villains too. It looks like Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3PO and R2-D2 will all be present, plus three new main heroes played by Boyega, Ridley and Isaac, plus Lupita Nyong'o, plus the cute robot, plus whatever Max von Sydow is… How are they gonna cram all these people into one movie?

Well, how many villains were there in previous Star Wars movies?
Star Wars (1977) had the fewest, because (after the initial scene with Vader and Leia), it eased us into the boring life of Luke as it became more and more exciting. Major villains, just one (Darth Vader), minor villains Greedo, Jabba (in the remake anyway), and Grand Moff Tarkin. (And other minor antagonists, like those two guys in Mos Eisley, the Jawas, the Sand People, the dianoga (garbage octopus), the storm troopers, etc.)

Empire still had Vader as the only main villain (the Emperor was introduced as being obviously worse than Vader, but didn't get much screen time), and secondary villains like Bobba Fett and Lando (that doesn't need a spoiler, does it?) and several of Vader's generals/admirals. (And the Wampa (Space Yeti).)

Jedi had the most - major villains Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Jabba the Hutt, and Bobba Fett, with minor villains such as Jabba's underlings and again Vader's military commanders. (And the Rancor and the Sarlacc!)

In the prequels, I think each movie had two or three big villains (obviously including Palpatine in all three) and several lesser ones.

So in summation, I don't think four villains (that we know of at this point) is a big deal. Probably two are the Big Bads (like Vader and the Emperor), and the others are significant minibosses (like Jabba and Bobba Fett) to give the movie more plot points and make it more interesting.

Well, this has been a problem and common complaint about a number of superhero movies--particular the Spiderman series, starting with Spiderman 3 and including the reboot. Having multiple villains all being introduced in the same movie is difficult if you want them to be characters rather than just obstacles for the heroes, because villains naturally get a lot less screentime than the heroes.

A New Hope really only had two villains: Vader and Tarkin, with Tarkin being the main villain. Both got decent amounts of screentime and were fairly well-established. One died. None of the other characters you mention had more than a minute or two of screentime and weren't really established characters--they could have just as easily been generic stormtroopers or whatever.

In Empire, Darth Vader and Lando were the main villains. But Darth Vader was already an established character in the story. The audience already has a connection to the character and some understanding of what they're all about. There's only one new villain.

In Jedi, there's two new villains, Jabba and the Emperor. The Emperor already had a brief appearance in Empire, (Jabba did in one version of A New Hope), and the existence of both characters had already been foreshadowed in the two previous films so the audience already knew something about them. Vader is still around, of course, but he certainly needs no introductions by this point. (I don't know why you count Bobba Fett as a major villain--he has four lines of dialogue between two movies).

Now, if most of those villains are actually minor characters like Bobba Fett or "guy who got his arm cut off in the bar", then that's one thing. But if they're trying to establish all of these characters as major antagonists, plus introduce a whole new set of protagonists... it's going to be tricky to pull off and lots of movies that try this end up failing pretty badly.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:17 pm UTC

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 am UTC

And for those of us who just can't stand waiting those few hours until the new trailer, here are some trailers for the trailer. Some points:

– It looks like the camerawork will be very dynamic, which is characteristic of J.J. and perhaps also a reaction against the dull treatment of non-action scenes in the prequels.
– It doesn't appear to be set in a CGI candyland, which is nice.
– BB-8 is going to be really, really adorable.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Christo

Postby Christo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 am UTC

www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

I already bought my tickets... by that I mean Thursday night AND Friday.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

CHOO CHOOO!! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

I love and hate this trailer. I love it because it's awesome, doesn't give anything from the plot away, it's awesome and John Willians is doing magic. I hate it for the same reasons, because I'm hyped as fuck and levels of expectation are off the charts. I'm afraid.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

Squuuuuueeeeeeeee!

There are higher levels of squee available. But it does look like it's hitting most of the things I want it to hit.

(That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be any good - just that I'll like it...)
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:10 am UTC

Luke. Why you no on poster?

They don't want us thinking Luke's the hockey mask guy, do they?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 am UTC

I'm assuming Luke starts the movie as a blue ghost until proven otherwise.

LaserGuy wrote:Having multiple villains all being introduced in the same movie is difficult if you want them to be characters rather than just obstacles for the heroes, because villains naturally get a lot less screentime than the heroes.

Boba Fett was in Empire for... What, five minutes? Dude was a character.

Dude argued with Vader and Badass "Choke the fuck out of you" Vader just took it.
Dude knew what Solo was most likely going to do.
Dude knew Luke was sneakin' up on him.
Dude has some obviously legendary story involving disintegrations.

(I looked it up) Six minutes and 32 seconds (14 of which are just his ship) of screen time. You can do a fuckload with just a few minutes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You can do a fuckload with just a few minutes.

And yet the seminal Street Fighter couldn't, even though it's been described as 'the Citizen Kane of movies', with 15 characters squeezed into 90 minutes.

Boba Fett is an outlier; a minor character that built up a massive cult following, probably due to the gargantuan marketing behemoth that is the Star Wars franchise that took the pre-social-media cult following buzz about the character and repackaged it to become one of the most sought-after possessions. It happens sometimes, like Q in James Bond, The Jesus in The Big Lebowski, or the woman with three boobs from Total Recall; they aren't the stars, but they become much bigger than the filmmakers ever intended.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:37 pm UTC

I think the filmmaker knew the character would become a fan favorite. I mean, come on. Three boobs!

Spoiler:
( . )( . )( . )

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

It's weird how the middle one seems to follow you around the room.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm assuming Luke starts the movie as a blue ghost until proven otherwise.

LaserGuy wrote:Having multiple villains all being introduced in the same movie is difficult if you want them to be characters rather than just obstacles for the heroes, because villains naturally get a lot less screentime than the heroes.

Boba Fett was in Empire for... What, five minutes? Dude was a character.

Dude argued with Vader and Badass "Choke the fuck out of you" Vader just took it.
Dude knew what Solo was most likely going to do.
Dude knew Luke was sneakin' up on him.
Dude has some obviously legendary story involving disintegrations.

(I looked it up) Six minutes and 32 seconds (14 of which are just his ship) of screen time. You can do a fuckload with just a few minutes.

I didn't know who Boba Fett was until I played Dark Forces, and by that time I'd probably seen the movies a dozen times.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

Boba Fett was popular because it was the early days of action figures and he had a damn rocket launcher on his back. Little boys wanted to play with the rocket launcher. They didn't want luke holding a blue/green plastic stick, they wanted the walking tank dude with the lazer gun and the MOTHER F-ING ROCKET LAUNCHER!

Fett wasn't a good villain on screen. He was an action figure on screen and people loved that.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:26 pm UTC

Id just like to point out that Vader had only 12 minutes in the original film, and was not the main villain.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:48 pm UTC

On this topic, I just read an interview with Gwendoline Christie:

Of her role in "Star Wars," Christie can say only that though Captain Phasma is a supporting character, she will exert considerable force on the story. "She is a Boba Fett-style character," the actress said, "which means she makes a lot of impact but she's not at the forefront of the action all the time."

Love her. I wonder if we'll get to see her face.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:20 pm UTC

Of course not! You hire a good actor to play a masked villain so they play well with their body language. Except if it is a woman. Then you HAVE to make it a reveal, because SHOCK! Woman in armour! /s
I might just give in to the dark side and watch this as soon as it comes out. Them dirty droids! (NSFW text... 'cause funny!)
I just hope they wont make it too nostalgic and thus dull, brooding and cringe-y.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 am UTC

Google Translate has added aurebesh.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:09 am UTC

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:11 am UTC

Star Wars spoiler:

Spoiler:
image.jpeg

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:29 am UTC

Time to resurrect this thread properly eh? I've just come from seeing it, after watching the other six for the first time in the last few weeks.

It is very similar to
Spoiler:
a new hope
isn't it?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:07 am UTC

Indeed. So much so that I thought I'd write a comparison between the two, in a nice, friendly spoiler.

Major plot points you mightn't wanna read.
Spoiler:
A cute little merchandisable droid, containing secret plans that could bring the downfall of the Empire/First Order, escapes from their clutches only to be found by a young farmer/scavenger, with latent Jedi powers, on a desolate desert planet. They escape pursuit in the Millennium Falcon. The Death Star/Starkiller Base destroys a planet/five planets. The young Jedi learns a small amount in the ways of the Force, and joins the Rebel Alliance/Resistance to help destroy the Death Star/Starkiller Base and defeat the Empire/First Order. Chewie goes rrrowgghhhhghhhr. Using insider knowledge, they identify a weakpoint in the Death Star/Starkiller Base, and use that to blow it up, in the nick of time, thanks to a plucky young pilot who takes a risk. The old, wise character falls. The young Jedi has a showdown with the Dark Jedi, and wins. Luke Skywalker stares wistfully into the middle-distance.

Minor criticisms that won't really ruin the film, but might give you an idea of what to expect.
Spoiler:
I thought the fan service might have been jacked up one notch too high. I mean, yeah, it's cool with all the Ep. IV-VI #hollabacks, but there gets a point where conveyor-belt pop-culture references can begin to take you out of the spectacle. I agree with wot TIME said: "Abrams begins delivering everything we expect, as opposed to those nebulous wonders we didn't know we wanted". There was nothing brand new in the film; everything was a rebooted, polished version of things we'd seen before. Jakku was Tattooine. Takonada was Endor's forest moon. Maz Kanata's bar was the Mos Eisley Spaceport. Starkiller Base's surface was Hoth. The First Order are the Empire in all but name. TIE Fighters were TIE Fighters. X-Wings were X-Wings. The bad guy wore a mask. BB-8 is a smaller, cuter Artoo.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:54 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Minor criticisms that won't really ruin the film, but might give you an idea of what to expect.

Spoiler:
I thought the fan service might have been jacked up one notch too high. I mean, yeah, it's cool with all the Ep. IV-VI #hollabacks, but there gets a point where conveyor-belt pop-culture references can begin to take you out of the spectacle. I agree with wot TIME said: "Abrams begins delivering everything we expect, as opposed to those nebulous wonders we didn't know we wanted". There was nothing brand new in the film; everything was a rebooted, polished version of things we'd seen before. Jakku was Tattooine. Takonada was Endor's forest moon. Maz Kanata's bar was the Mos Eisley Spaceport. Starkiller Base's surface was Hoth. The First Order are the Empire in all but name. TIE Fighters were TIE Fighters. X-Wings were X-Wings. The bad guy wore a mask. BB-8 is a smaller, cuter Artoo.

Spoiler:
I loved the film, but some of that bothered me. During the last part, I was hoping that they wouldn't destroy the Starkiller, maybe just damage it enough that it became nonoperational for a plot-adequated amount of time. Now, the optimistic in me believes in the following: "yes, this was major fan service. Everybody is ok with us? Everyone excited? Good, now let's move on to a new saga" or something like that. Captivate fans "the easy way", establish new characters, prepare the ground for new story.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:35 am UTC

Spoiler:
I will say that It was a nicely polished up retelling of the major plot points of a New Hope (and Return of the Jedi) but I was still impressed overall. And I think it is a way to give a call back to all the old fans, draw them in and give them a comfortable and familiar story. Then you can branch out and tell new stories, take the characters to new places etc. I liked it and it FELT like Star Wars in ways the prequels never did.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:39 am UTC

Total spoilers. Do not read unless having seen the movie.
Spoiler:
Let's preface this that I am a Star Wars nut, and think the prequels are probably the most underrated movies in cinematic history. I have seen the movie twice now and here are my thoughts.

I found The Force Awakens was enjoyable and a nostalgic inducing movie. There were lots of great parts, particularly the acting was spot on across the board, maybe the best in any Star Wars movie. I instantly got attached to a lot of the characters, particularly the protagonists Finn and Rey, along with BB8(which is overwhelming endearing). The bad guys from there were more hit or miss. Kylo Ren, was well conceived I thought, someone who was trying to be Vader but had no real idea who Vader was. Vader was focused on Order, Precision and cold emotion control, Ren clearly has no emotional control at all. So was generally awesome and his original name being Ben is a good throwback. General Huk and Supreme Commander Snoke were okay, hopefully will be better later.

Phasma was lame, total waste of Gwendoline Christie. All she did is get captured and lowered the shield. If your such a bad ass why do you just lower the shield? Hell if one of the officers in the original trilogy had a gun to their head they wouldn't care, they would never lower the shield. Any officer would think "would I rather be shot here, or face Vader? Okay I'll take the bullet". Phasma ended up a wimp. Waste of a great actress.

There was probably a little too much fan service. I don't mind the Millennium Falcon thing too much(although the chess was probably over the top) but overall just a tad too much fan service with all the references.

The dogfights were pretty terrible. The pacing seemed to be all wrong and they didn't really set up the attack on Starkiller base right. I think this is twofold. They didn't position the Starkiller base as being a big thing until midway through the movie so when they had to attack they seemed to rush it. Another Death Star type super weapon isn't exciting, its just a repeat of the other movies, there are so many better ideas for super weapons. Second I think the movies dynamic cameras don't do as well as the the old static dogfights. The constantly moving camera takes away from the ability to understand and also the general aesthetic of Star Wars. The weird motions of X-Wings and the Falcon kinda exacerbate that. The ships seem to move like they are in zero G in the atmosphere, which is ironic as in all the other movies ships seemed to move like they were in the atmosphere even though they were in the space. whatever.

And from that, the blasters are all super powerful now. When people/stormtroopers/whatever got shot in the other trilogies they slumped over. More or less how people really react to getting shot. Now everyone seems to be thrown back 10 feet every time they get hit. Typical over the top action movie.

The music was a little disappointing. Rey's theme was good. But that was really the only new memorable them, otherwise it was either boring stuff or just repeats of other movies.

There was no explanation on the difference between the Empire and the First Order and then the Republic and the Resistance. I read the wiki afterwards that explained it, but I shouldn't have to do that to understand.

Hans death was well done with tons of symbolism. There is half light half dark when they are fighting for the saber, but then goes dark right before Kylo makes the decision to kill him. In all its hard for me to really feel the impact of. This has been a hero of mine for my entire life of 30 years. We always assumed he ended happily ever after following Return of the Jedi. Now we know it didn't, which kinda changes the ending to a classic movie.

I don't like how they didn't refer to any of the planets from the past 6 movies. What happened to Coruscant or Tatooine? I don't need to necessarily go to those places but it would be good to know they still exist. I view this as an overly zealous desire to distant the movie from the prequels, which I understand but is misguided. Those movies exist, don't ignore them, but just fix the problems.

The final shot was horrible. Every previous Star Wars movie ends with a still shot, usually of the cast. This ended with a horrible helicopter swirl around Rey and Luke which completely seemed out of place in a Star Wars movie. I loved the scene until that. Luke only being in the single scene was a good move, but to ruin some of the signaturecinematics of Star Wars seems like a misstep.

I'm worried that they aren't really planning this out as a trilogy and blowing the load on this movie and subsequent ones could be worse.

I'm trying to figure out Rey is still and what Luke will do next. I also wonder if there is some connection from Snoke to the prequels or the OT and want to see whats behind him. Overall I give the movie a 8/10 and I probably think its the 5th best Star Wars movie.
Last edited by Dark567 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:32 am UTC

Spoiler:
I liked it, but it did spend a lot of time on callbacks, and was pretty much the same plot as New Hope. I'm hoping that they are getting it all out of their system so they can go in a different direction for the next two.

It had a good feel though - I thought the effects were pretty awesomely done and felt a lot closer to the original trilogy than the prequels.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

I've got some spoiler-filled questions,

Spoiler:
1) Was it Coruscant that was blown up?
2) Do you figure Snoke is really that big? Or were they just projecting him that big? Any chance that he's actually tiny?
2.1) P.S. Why in the hell would they make Snoke look so much like Andy Serkis's previous character Gollum? That was such a weird decision.
3) Ideas on Rey or Finn's parents?
4) Did it strike anyone else as weird that Kylo Renn's identity was not a big reveal moment? It was just sort of dropped into conversation, "Hey, man, you know how your dad is Han?"
4.1 Wouldn't it have been cool if Han and Leia had named their son Luke? Then they could have been referring to him as Luke, and it would have been a total fake out.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

Christo wrote:I've got some spoiler-filled questions,

Spoiler:
1) Was it Coruscant that was blown up?
2) Do you figure Snoke is really that big? Or were they just projecting him that big? Any chance that he's actually tiny?
2.1) P.S. Why in the hell would they make Snoke look so much like Andy Serkis's previous character Gollum? That was such a weird decision.
3) Ideas on Rey or Finn's parents?
4) Did it strike anyone else as weird that Kylo Renn's identity was not a big reveal moment? It was just sort of dropped into conversation, "Hey, man, you know how your dad is Han?"
4.1 Wouldn't it have been cool if Han and Leia had named their son Luke? Then they could have been referring to him as Luke, and it would have been a total fake out.

Spoiler:
1. No, it was Hosnian Prime. None of the original planets were actually referenced in TFA at all.
3. Rey is probably either Luke or Han and Leia's kid. Possibly she's one of Lukes very young Padawans that was taken when the First Order killed everyone in his academy.
4. Yeah. I kinda wonder if JJ gave too much away on that early. I guess we'll have to hope that the Rey reveal will be the actual important part.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
- Let's get the main criticism out of the way. That plot line hewed very close to the original Star Wars film (with a sprinkling of the rest of the original trilogy in there). I mean, another Death Star type thing with a weak spot? I can understand the rationale to play it safe this time round, hence hiring a safe pair of hands in J. J. Abrams, but I hope maybe next time they have the courage to maybe push the boat out a bit.
- All that being said, I did really enjoy the film, it was a blast to watch.
- Great acting from all the main cast, especially Adam Driver and John Boyega. Even people who hate Lena Dunham should thank her for giving Driver his breakout role.
- Hope we get to see more of Poe next time, I love Oscar Isaac.
- Carrie Fisher these days is like a walking advert for saying no to cocaine.
- Did anyone see that Daniel Craig plays the Stormtrooper who is the victim of Rey's Jedi mind trick.
- Lots of very funny moments ('That's not how the Force works!').
- BB-8 is adorable.
- Domhnall Gleeson was going for full on Ham mode in his speech, huh.
- Phasma was a bit of a nothing role in the end, seemed a bit of a waste of Gwendoline Christie. Maybe she'll have more to do next time?
- Roll on Rogue One and Episode VIII

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:06 am UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
I liked it, but it did spend a lot of time on callbacks, and was pretty much the same plot as New Hope. I'm hoping that they are getting it all out of their system so they can go in a different direction for the next two.

It had a good feel though - I thought the effects were pretty awesomely done and felt a lot closer to the original trilogy than the prequels.
Spoiler:
It felt like on a lot of the parallels they did a good job with making it cool. I think the scene with the comparison between the old Death Star and the new, uh, Starkiller thing illustrates it well. We're basing it on that thing, it was cool, but this one is bigger, cooler, and has a couple of quirks to it. It's still a "Death Star" though, which won't please everyone, but it given the franchise they were dealing with it was probably for the best.

I'd be more disappointed if the next one was too much like Empire Strikes Back, but that was a great movie and they can't go too wrong with that idea. Like a lot of stuff could've gone wrong with this one, and they didn't fuck it up. I kept thinking, "what if they released *this* one in 1999?"

I wasn't feeling the first half too much, but it got good in the latter half. I liked the fights. They weren't stupid! And that guy is a damn good pilot, holy shit.

edit: I did like Kylo Ren, and how he wasn't clear cut evil. He was just very angsty, but not too angsty like Anakin.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:02 am UTC

My wife and I are both kinda amazed they let a Fisher look like Fisher. By that I mean women in films can age to maybe 40, then must instantly be 70+ wrinkled ancient great grandmothers. They let Leia be an upper 50s year old woman. We both found that neat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CannedCourage

Postby CannedCourage » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:31 am UTC

I think the comparisons to New Hope are accurate, but the characters and humour set this one apart. Easily a candidate for best in franchise.

Also! Lots of practical Henson company puppets and what not. I've seen the practical BB-8 rolling around, any idea how that works? :D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

Probably same as the toy. Base with wheels in the cardinal directions, arm pointing up with magnets on it arranged so the head is always facing forward. The actual prop probably also has the head magnet arm on a servo so it can move independently as well.

Basically, from the side, it'd look like an upside down T

This site has an animation halfway down the page describing what they think, based on the patents.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

Yeah one version more or less the same as a toy. They made a big deal at SW Celebration that Bob Iger actually called Sphero and had them design the real one, so the really one really is essentially just a bigger and more advanced version of the toy.

The move also had more of a prop version too, that was essentially controlled by puppeteers using sticks that were removed in post-production. Not sure which scenes are which though.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

Wait, you're telling me BB-8 is a real prop instead of a green remote-controlled ball with CGI on top? :o

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

The answer is yes.. Real prop.. Though I would bet it CGI'd in some places

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:49 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Wait, you're telling me BB-8 is a real prop instead of a green remote-controlled ball with CGI on top? :o

it's a real thing.

Like all YouTube videos, skip the first 30 seconds. BB-8 rolls out at the 31 second mark.

I'm assuming stick controlled bb-8 was whenever 8 had to do something, like use a flamethrower or open an internal storage area

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm assuming stick controlled bb-8 was whenever 8 had to do something, like use a flamethrower or open an internal storage area

I had assumed the shortened version was going to be "BB" and not "8", but I guess we will see. :-)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”