Revolution - show by J. J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Eric Kripke

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Revolution - show by J. J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Eric Kripke

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 am UTC

Just saw a commercial for this upcoming TV series, then watched the trailer and read the wiki article.

Although I never watched Lost, I have already decided that I am going to enjoy Revolution. So, yeah, you can blame me when it ends up being canceled after 3 episodes.

webgiant

Re: Revolution - show by J. J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Eric Kri

Postby webgiant » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 am UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:Just saw a commercial for this upcoming TV series, then watched the trailer and read the wiki article.

Although I never watched Lost, I have already decided that I am going to enjoy Revolution. So, yeah, you can blame me when it ends up being canceled after 3 episodes.

I've decided I'm not going to like "Revolution", because of quite a lot of problems with the plot. Its like they wanted Medieval period but didn't want to build all the time machines necessary to actually put everyone in a Medieval setting. I never thought I'd see a show which made less sense than "The Postman".

1) The off-screen rapture of all the gun enthusiast survivalists. The show tells us that, fifteen years later, hardly anyone knows how to make bullets, even though right now there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people who know how to make bullets. People who make bullets right now. Every weekend. In their basements and workshops. Hell, I'm a gun control liberal and *I* know how to make bullets, and gunpowder, and the necessary proportions to make different kinds of gunpowder. And even if you lost your gun, you can make an IED without electricity, using those basic chemical processes that still do exist, like gunpowder and fuses.

2) Everyone forgot how to read after the blackout. Sure, Google is gone. You can't sit in the middle of a field and look up which plants are edible. Pity no one ever wrote a book about edible plants, or the internal combustion engine. Pity cul-de-sacs are located nowhere near libraries full of books about how to keep civilization going. You know, the way they kept civilization going before there were computers. Its like the writers don't own books and have never been in a library.

3) Electricity "doesn't work". Chemical and mechanical processes to create electricity, such as those used to power animals and plants, don't work. So Eric Kripke decided to keep on doing "Supernatural", this time putting all the characters of "Revolution" in Purgatory, but he just forgot to tell the rest of us? The basic concepts governing electricity are all basic universe constants and processes. If batteries don't work anymore, then the humans are all DEAD. Except they don't look dead. Ergo, this is the afterlife. Look at the Beautiful Dead People shooting each other with crossbows.

4) Nothing technological can be made without electricity. This is the "Revolution" rewrite of history: the first gun was made after electricity was created. So was the first car. The steam engine? After electricity, which made steam engines instantly obsolete shortly before they were invented. Books? Sorry, they can't be made by a bunch of guys doing all the printing and binding by hand, like Johann Gutenberg didn't do.

5) Cars can't be used because oil is a finite resource? Here's a clue phone for the writers: car engines have been powered by all kinds of things throughout history. Diesel engines run on vegetable oil, as in that biodiesel craze you may have heard about. I've got a friend who runs his truck on sawdust, though the technical term is wood gasifier. Power plants can't produce electricity? Wow, tons of leftover coal to use to make cars work: burn coal dust in the gasifier. No internal combustion engine? Have your blacksmith make a steam engine, they still work even though electricity made them obsolete shortly before electricity was used to invent them.

6) Petroleum brought with it clean-burning candles, like the ones on the show. Fifteen years later, and they still have clean-burning candles left? Before petroleum, candles were made from tallow, as in animal fat. They burned very dirty. Whale oil burned cleaner, but that requires making ships and harpoons, which apparently cannot be made without electricity (see above). Most people just lived in the dark when the sun went down, but of course then you couldn't see the Beautiful Dead People's faces.

This show has about as much good science in it as Terra Nova. I sincerely hope that this new bad science show gets cancelled as quickly as possible, just like Terra Nova.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 am UTC

The only way any of the "electricity/electrical equipment doesn't work" concept I can think of that makes sense would be something like a device or phenomenon that continually produces some sort of EMP that is disabling/inhibiting electronics. Even that doesn't really work since you could end up getting stuff to work with the proper shielding. The whole gimmick of the show is for them to string you along long enough to see what the explanation is. Based on that alone I bet it'll keep people watching. Even though I know the answer is going to be absurd and impossible I still want to know what it is.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

When I saw the previews, I initially thought it'd be awesome until I realized it was a TV series.

They are going to milk and milk and milk this concept, with wonderful bouts of sidetrips, character backstory, but the main storyline will never conclude. If it was a miniseries or a movie I'd be all over it. It's a really cool concept (if involved with a lot of hand-waving/suspension of belief) and would be interesting, especially if the population still had some memories of things -- kinda like Book of Eli but in a more pleasant setting and focused more on restoration than coping.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

philsov wrote:When I saw the previews, I initially thought it'd be awesome until I realized it was a TV series.

They are going to milk and milk and milk this concept, with wonderful bouts of sidetrips, character backstory, but the main storyline will never conclude. If it was a miniseries or a movie I'd be all over it. It's a really cool concept (if involved with a lot of hand-waving/suspension of belief) and would be interesting, especially if the population still had some memories of things -- kinda like Book of Eli but in a more pleasant setting and focused more on restoration than coping.

I don't know. I predict it being more like Prison Break where the first season will tell us what happened and then they'll just drag it out into other seasons of unrelated issues until its cancelled.

If, of course, it doesn't get cancelled early.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 am UTC

Okay. I have not watched the pilot yet. It probably sucks, but I shall now go watch it. I'll let you know what I think about it tomorrow. Unless it sucks worse than the worst show that has ever sucked, in which case I shall never post in this thread again.

Edit: okay, the pilot wasn't horrible. But it also wasn't good. Part of the problem is that I knew pretty much everything that was going to happen from watching the trailer. Also, there were indeed completely unreasonable physics (but I was expecting that and am willing to overlook it if they don't completely botch their science). Anyway, at this point I will watch the next couple episodes to give the show a chance, but I am nowhere near as excited about it as I had been.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Having seen the first 2 episodes, the plot is reminding me a lot of a videogame plot.

Spoiler:
The player character starts in an idyllic village. Villain comes and kills player characters father kidnaps PC's brother. Before father dies he gives PC a quest: go to Chicago and find Uncle Miles. British step mom joins party [level 2 doctor, mostly useless except for decent healing skill] former Google guy joins party [level 1 civilian, high intelligence otherwise completely useless].

Travel to Chicago. On the way, encounter: mysterious guy with a bow [fighter level three decent archery skills]. Ask him to join party

......[yes]
---->[no]

Continue to Chicago. One the way, encounter: raiders. [Use item poison hooch] Battle sequence, mysterious guy with bow comes to help. Let him join party.

---->[yes]
.....[no]

Arrive in Chicago go where first?

.....[market]
---->[tavern]
.....[doctor's office]
.....[militia HQ]

Go to tavern, meet Uncle Miles [level 6 fighter very high sword skill]. Mystery Bow Guy betrays you, leaves party. Fight sequence. Uncle Miles kicks everyone's ass with a damn sword. Player character levels up. Choose skill focus:

---->[fighter]
....[thief]
....[leader]
....[other]
----------------------------------------
....[armor]
....[knives]
....[swords]
--->[archery]
....[firearms]
....[explosives]

Uncle miles joins party.

Episode 2:
Spoiler:
Uncle Miles: "We need to find {possible party member, I forgot her name} to help us find your brother."
PC: "Why?"
Uncle Miles: "She has high firearms and explosives skills."
Side quest: Find {possible party member, ppm for short}

You found {ppm} (level 6 fighter) in a militia chain gang. Wait until dark. Use sneak skill to get into camp.
{ppm}: "I don't need rescuing. I came here to get a high power sniper rifle {mcguffin 3}, If you help me get it I will join your party."
Fight sequence. Gun recovered. {ppm} joins party.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

LaSargenta

Postby LaSargenta » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:38 pm UTC

From a three-sentence description I read, it seems ludicrous. At the least, someone could -- if they had a clue -- make a water wheel...a wind mill...a steam engine. EMP wouldn't affect any of those, nor a treadmill.

Unless, of course, all the survivors of whatever this event was are, contrary to odds, all the really passive, foolish, incurious, and incapable of being inventive members of the population. The reason I say contrary to odds is that generally those people might have a lower likelihood of surviving something that takes crisis response skills.

A better premise for a potentially similar sociological framework is in Terry Pratchett's latest (with Stephen Baxter), The Long Earth.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

LaSargenta wrote:From a three-sentence description I read, it seems ludicrous. At the least, someone could -- if they had a clue -- make a water wheel...a wind mill...a steam engine. EMP wouldn't affect any of those, nor a treadmill.

Unless, of course, all the survivors of whatever this event was are, contrary to odds, all the really passive, foolish, incurious, and incapable of being inventive members of the population. The reason I say contrary to odds is that generally those people might have a lower likelihood of surviving something that takes crisis response skills.

A better premise for a potentially similar sociological framework is in Terry Pratchett's latest (with Stephen Baxter), The Long Earth.

I think they do have some stuff like that. Its notably electricity that isn't working. And they even mention in the second episode that it doesn't make sense and is likely man made (also evidenced by those mystery doodads that let electricity work again).

LaSargenta

Postby LaSargenta » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Its notably electricity that isn't working.
Is the EMP continuing? If not, then things can be rebuilt by starting with the same technology that the Industrial Revolution started with. This is supposed to be 15 years after the event, no?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

Newly build electronics don't work either, that's the whole premise of the show. If you can't suspend your disbelief for that, then it's gonna be a non-starter for you watching the show.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 am UTC

I think they even mention in the first episode that what happened makes no sense. I recall a line that went something to the affect of "Physics took a field day!" I think that's their excuse for making whatever not work that they want to not work.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I think they even mention in the first episode that what happened makes no sense. I recall a line that went something to the affect of "Physics took a field day!" I think that's their excuse for making whatever not work that they want to not work.

That's not an excuse, it's just the writers hanging a lampshade on it.

I'm generally ok with using some sort of impossible or wildly improbable circumstance/event/what-have-you to hang a plot on, as long as the writers understand that their doing it, and it's handled consistently.

I mean, "what if this impossible thing was actually true/really happened" is basically the premise of pretty much all fantasy and SF stories.
Last edited by EdgarJPublius on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am UTC

LaSargenta wrote:Is the EMP continuing? If not, then things can be rebuilt by starting with the same technology that the Industrial Revolution started with. This is supposed to be 15 years after the event, no?

Presumably there's SOMETHING that is still going on. I don't think it was a one of event. The little necklace things that let electricity work presumably negate whatever field is disrupting electricity. Now, clearly they haven't detailed this and it might be something ridiculous instead, but that's the most logical and consistent conclusion I can come to about what is going on.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:05 am UTC

Just watched the pilot, and I have the answer for you. They didn't have enough time after the blackout to find non-electrical solutions because they were too busy learning how to sword fight and shoot arrows. I guess they figured the bullets would run out at some point, so they started on that from the getgo.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

I gotta wonder if its going to be something dumb like "The Village" where its only North America that's like this or something. It'd be pretty tough to actually communicate around the world without actually sailing to wherever they want to go and considering the anarchy and such I gotta wonder if anyone tried. Then again 15 years is a long time so I presume SOMEONE would have gotten somewhere during that time.

Regardless, the premise is kind of interesting and I kinda want to know whats going on, but each episode is kinda pointless. I don't particularly care about any of the characters. I figure once they reveal the big secret most people will lose interest because that's really all that's driving people to watch it. And really, that can probably work as the premise for a 1 season show. Its just that networks don't really want 1 season shows.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:I think they even mention in the first episode that what happened makes no sense. I recall a line that went something to the affect of "Physics took a field day!" I think that's their excuse for making whatever not work that they want to not work.

That's not an excuse, it's just the writers hanging a lampshade on it.

I'm generally ok with using some sort of impossible or wildly improbable circumstance/event/what-have-you to hang a plot on, as long as the writers understand that their doing it, and it's handled consistently.

I mean, "what if this impossible thing was actually true/really happened" is basically the premise of pretty much all fantasy and SF stories.

It's the premise of a lot of them, but most of them succeed by saying Alien Tech or Future Tech, and all of the successful ones are consistent. Situations for which they can't think of a successful explanation always get a lampshade hung on them.

The unsuccessful ones, like (hopefully) Revolution, insist on one plot point, like "newly made things which require electricity do not work", while simply choosing to IGNORE some of the ramifications of this plot point, like "babies are newly made things which require electricity." If voltage can't move electrons anymore, then human bodies' voltage can't move electrons anymore. Hence my original point: they're all dead, and in Purgatory.

Besides which, humans are creative and ingenuous, making "Revolution" even more silly. For example, let's say that only the elements of basic electrical generation required for life still work: the movement of sodium and potassium ions causing an electric charge. Fire still works. The power plants not working mean trainloads of unused coal. Solution: thermal batteries, otherwise known as molten salt batteries. Heat up a sodium based salt with a carbon core, and you can produce watts to kilowatts of power with a technology that predates WWII. Induction no longer works? Heat gases to move turbines. Monroe not having Civil War era tanks is just a matter of writer sloppiness, and you are not allowed to be sloppy in the first season.

They just think that they can get away with another LOST because its been done, without including LOST's basic "of course it's magic" statement in Season 1. Perhaps their goal here is to make sure that engineers and scientists don't watch the show, so they won't have to bother with Heisenberg Compensators on the transporter.

UniqueScreenname wrote:Just watched the pilot, and I have the answer for you. They didn't have enough time after the blackout to find non-electrical solutions because they were too busy learning how to sword fight and shoot arrows. I guess they figured the bullets would run out at some point, so they started on that from the getgo.

So the writers are sloppy and didn't do the research, then. They decided that everyone in the world lives in Beverly Hills and there are no off-grid people currently living with non-electrical solutions. Nearly everyone in the rural areas of the country who has been living there for generations has non-electric backups of some sort. I personally know how to run a washing machine without electricity, and I know a guy who makes his living doing fruit smoothies at farmers markets without electricity and with a mass market blender (altered, of course).

"Revolution" currently takes place in Illinois, which means the writers picked a "flyover" state which they don't know much about except Chicago. They never went to the rural areas, where they would have discovered people with mechanical constructs used daily to avoid using electricity. It's not like these things have to be "found", they're already there!

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I gotta wonder if its going to be something dumb like "The Village" where its only North America that's like this or something. It'd be pretty tough to actually communicate around the world without actually sailing to wherever they want to go and considering the anarchy and such I gotta wonder if anyone tried. Then again 15 years is a long time so I presume SOMEONE would have gotten somewhere during that time.

And its a pity you can't fill a balloon without electricity, or fill a dirigible and move it around without electricity.
And it is a special pity that the only planes that can exist are electric. Otherwise people would be traveling all over the place in the air, in the absence of electricity.

Chen wrote:Regardless, the premise is kind of interesting and I kinda want to know whats going on, but each episode is kinda pointless. I don't particularly care about any of the characters. I figure once they reveal the big secret most people will lose interest because that's really all that's driving people to watch it. And really, that can probably work as the premise for a 1 season show. Its just that networks don't really want 1 season shows.

And the worst part is that the characters are unbelievable. Charlie the Hunter was 10 fifteen years ago, and grew up nearly entirely during the dystopia, yet she's opposed to killing people who want to kill her, and has the survival instincts of a stunned lemming. Her brother has asthma, yet he is now physically fit (in all other respects) and somehow got his hands on the only case of asthma inhalers made fifteen years ago that happened to have a twenty year expiration date on it. Everyone has perfect teeth and exquisitely clean clothing (some of it marked "wash only on delicate, do not slap on a rock"), despite (as someone else pointed out here) there being no non-electric machines, like pedal-powered washing machines

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

I was being sarcastic, trying to bring out that it is equally as ridiculous to assume that they are so great at these skills that are barely used today as it is to assume all society and structure died without electricity.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

hawkinsssable
Promoted

Postby hawkinsssable » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am UTC

I watched the pilot, and shoddy suspension-of-disbelief stuff aside, I just... can't believe how heavy-handed and predictable it all is, and how completely they've failed to do anything interesting with the premise. Every plot twist was obvious long before it 'twisted', no character has anything approaching depth, they show nothing interesting (or particularly believable) about how people adapted to life after electricity beyond showing people in some idyllic farmyard setting, and every last line of dialogue falls flat.

It's such a depressing waste of such a beautiful setting, massive production values, Gus Fring playing a villain and Bear McCreary scoring a soundtrack.
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

hawkinsssable wrote:I watched the pilot, and shoddy suspension-of-disbelief stuff aside, I just... can't believe how heavy-handed and predictable it all is, and how completely they've failed to do anything interesting with the premise. Every plot twist was obvious long before it 'twisted', no character has anything approaching depth, they show nothing interesting (or particularly believable) about how people adapted to life after electricity beyond showing people in some idyllic farmyard setting, and every last line of dialogue falls flat.

It's such a depressing waste of such a beautiful setting, massive production values, Gus Fring playing a villain and Bear McCreary scoring a soundtrack.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. I still like the premise and I can buy that society crumbled badly after losing electricity, but without good characters to drive the concept the show just falls flat. I've taken to reading the wikipedia episode summaries and find I'm getting just as much enjoyment out of the show than if I had to waste time watching it, which is pretty damning in and of itself.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Cor blimey, you can't just mindlessly enjoy a TV show these days?

I quite enjoy this show.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Look, I enjoy the show, and even have some hope for it...but I have to admit it has some glaring flaws that irk me. I definitely hate some of the chars, like Charlie, who has no survival instincts whatsoever, and seems to exist solely to be clueless and obnoxious to everyone else.

And there's some serious technologically weird stuff going on. For instance, lack of bullets? Cmon. This is the US. We have more guns than we have people. We have a LOT of bullets for every gun. Non-electric handloading systems for hobbyist ammo loaders are fairly inexpensive and widespread. Hell, cartridges were made long before electric machines were a thing. There's no real reason this would be a problem.

And there's some obvious lacking stuff in this world. I'd like to see one post-apoc show actually include the amish, for instance. Lack of electricity wouldn't bother them a bit, but the interactions with the rest of the world would definitely be interesting. The entire lack of anything steam powered is kind of crazy, too.

I just really hope the basic premise has a good explanation behind it and isn't an ass-pull.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Look, I enjoy the show, and even have some hope for it...but I have to admit it has some glaring flaws that irk me. I definitely hate some of the chars, like Charlie, who has no survival instincts whatsoever, and seems to exist solely to be clueless and obnoxious to everyone else.

And there's some serious technologically weird stuff going on. For instance, lack of bullets? Cmon. This is the US. We have more guns than we have people. We have a LOT of bullets for every gun. Non-electric handloading systems for hobbyist ammo loaders are fairly inexpensive and widespread. Hell, cartridges were made long before electric machines were a thing. There's no real reason this would be a problem.

This is actually one of the few things that isn't wrong with the show: the militia has banned guns for non-militia people.

Tyndmyr wrote:And there's some obvious lacking stuff in this world. I'd like to see one post-apoc show actually include the amish, for instance. Lack of electricity wouldn't bother them a bit, but the interactions with the rest of the world would definitely be interesting.

I imagine the first new slaves were the Amish.

Tyndmyr wrote:The entire lack of anything steam powered is kind of crazy, too.

I understand they got a train working, on wood instead of coal for some reason.

Tyndmyr wrote:I just really hope the basic premise has a good explanation behind it and isn't an ass-pull.

Well you take the guys who wrote about a supernatural Island for eight years, and the guy who wrote Supernatural for five years, and it doesn't take a master of the occult to realize what the explanation is going to be.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 am UTC

webgiant wrote:This is actually one of the few things that isn't wrong with the show: the militia has banned guns for non-militia people.

Because if their is one thing I know about American gun owners it's that when someone comes around to take their guns, they're totally going to give them up.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
webgiant wrote:This is actually one of the few things that isn't wrong with the show: the militia has banned guns for non-militia people.

Because if their is one thing I know about American gun owners it's that when someone comes around to take their guns, they're totally going to give them up.

I would expect that good chunk of U.S. gun owners would be the ones forming the militias, not the civil-war reenactment society.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
folkhero wrote:

I would expect that good chunk of U.S. gun owners would be the ones forming the militias, not the civil-war reenactment society.

One of the people who keeps saying how rare bullets are is one of the militia leaders. This would explain some scarcity for non-militia. Not for the militia themselves.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:
folkhero wrote:

One of the people who keeps saying how rare bullets are is one of the militia leaders. This would explain some scarcity for non-militia. Not for the militia themselves.

Now one thing I would believe is that since we no longer have people connected to the original sources of chemicals and minerals, there may well be people who know how to make bullets and gunpowder, provided they have an EBay and a shipping service to get them supplies of lead, sulfur, carbon, and saltpeter. With no means other than horses to get supplies anywhere, its going to be hard, especially after fifteen years, to have an ample supply of bullets.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:
folkhero wrote:

Now one thing I would believe is that since we no longer have people connected to the original sources of chemicals and minerals, there may well be people who know how to make bullets and gunpowder, provided they have an EBay and a shipping service to get them supplies of lead, sulfur, carbon, and saltpeter. With no means other than horses to get supplies anywhere, its going to be hard, especially after fifteen years, to have an ample supply of bullets.

Meh. Leaving aside all the alternate recipies, carbon is stupid simple to get your hands on anywhere. Likewise, lead is pretty common. And you don't HAVE to use lead projectiles. Any metal will do. Hell, wood will do. Sulfur wasn't even universally used historically.

Really, all you need to make gunpowder is something that burns well and an oxydizer.

Yeah, I gave up on this show once I realized they weren't going to actually explore interesting questions brought up by the premise, and the chars were never going to develop depth. It really does feel like a bad RPG. Oh look, you found the magic talisman. Quest over.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”