Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Derek

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Mon May 11, 2015 4:26 am UTC

So I while talking with friends last night it occurred to me that there haven't really been any mind screw anime lately. Anime that have you asking yourself "What the fuck is going on here?", like Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, and the later episodes of Eva. Satoshi Kon was the master of this genre, but since he died there hasn't been much. The only mindscrew anime we could come up with from the last five years was Penguindrum (2011). Does anyone know of any others lately? (This is not a recommendations request)

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Tue May 12, 2015 8:09 pm UTC

Derek wrote:So I while talking with friends last night it occurred to me that there haven't really been any mind screw anime lately. Anime that have you asking yourself "What the fuck is going on here?", like Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, and the later episodes of Eva. Satoshi Kon was the master of this genre, but since he died there hasn't been much. The only mindscrew anime we could come up with from the last five years was Penguindrum (2011). Does anyone know of any others lately? (This is not a recommendations request)

one word: Punchline
though it's more along the lines of Excel Saga than anything like Paranoia agent
so far anyway

anyway, Triage X: at this point I'm only watching the show for two characters and to make fun of the stupidity

I mean, they have a character survive a crossbow bolt to the face from point-blank range, only for her to jump into a fire because...?

and that's not even the worst of it

literally nothing about this story makes sense, and not in a good way
was once kinigget

still the most gothic unicorn ever

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology
-Agatha Heterodyne

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue May 12, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Maybe try No game no life and Ping pong the animation ?

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon May 18, 2015 12:14 am UTC

Grop wrote:Certainly everything can be explained; what I say is that that is very unconvincing. Slaves may have been kept from every knowledge about Lusitanian brutality, and they may hope true benevolence from armed foreigners that they don't know.

Turns out both sides were right. They were promised freedom and treasure, and got neither.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

Anyone watching Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku? It's not good but keeps me entertained.
Also Gintama epi 8 was nice. I do like the more serious arcs too but it's definitely a better comedy anime than a serious anime.

Gelsamel wrote:
PeteP wrote:Btw if it was romance or harem she would be the obvious main love interest.

Not something I really thought about. xD

Episode 8 where they meet up made me think of my comment again.^^ Liked the episode btw and the MC.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:41 am UTC

I'm enjoying Mikagura Gakuen.

in which personal issues are no match for the sheer overwhelming force of Eruna's personality
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 pm UTC

Does anyone else find Arslan a bit disappointing. I'm into fantasy settings but it's not really gripping me. Also priest guy has a silly character design.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:17 am UTC

Well the plot is very unconvincing, most characters are stereotypes and action scenes are half-assed. Why am I even watching that.

Also I am still watching the second season of Sidonia no Kishi. Still pretty good except from the overuse of cgi animation, although a few episodes were a bit long with silly romantic stuff.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

Prison School: Anime really run with the stupidest settings.^^ I suppose it might be silly enough to be entertaining.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist: First, screw these long titles. Second, this show is like a cross between Haruhi and Seitokai Yakuindomo and that makes me deeply uncomfortable while also being ridiculously funny.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 am UTC

God Eater is made of hype

but then this is what we expect from Ufotable

I am also immensely enjoying Ushio to Tora

it's like the 90's never ended
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

durarara
Spoiler:
Damn Mika is well informed. Also I love how odd the characters are.I'm kinda interested in reading the LNs. I wish the author of the novels wrote in english or german. Or you know that such things were popular enough internationally to quickly get good translations.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:31 am UTC

PeteP wrote:durarara
Spoiler:
Damn Mika is well informed. Also I love how odd the characters are.I'm kinda interested in reading the LNs. I wish the author of the novels wrote in english or german. Or you know that such things were popular enough internationally to quickly get good translations.

According to Wikipedia:

As of January 2015, it was announced that Yen Press would be releasing the Durarara!! Novels in English under their Yen On Imprint.[7]

I'm surprised it took so long. DRRR is a pretty popular series and the anime was even on Toonami.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

The Dr. Gray-man manga is back, surprised me.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:19 am UTC

PeteP wrote:The Dr. Gray-man manga is back, surprised me.
Is that a typo, or something distinct from D. Gray-man?

I could not resist purchasing the first two seasons of D. Gray-man when I saw them on sale recently. Some seven years ago when I still had access to a local anime club, that was one of the last series I was watching semi-regularly. It wasn't so different from the usual shoen stuff, but it was nicely done for what it was.

The guy I bought the discs from said something about how after the first two seasons it got folded into XXXholic, or something?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:33 am UTC

Typo. And XXXholic is from clamp and has overlap with another series from clamp Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle but afaik it has nothing to do with D. Grayman.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

Yes, I thought that sounded rather off. Does the anime not end with something vaguely resembling closure after those first two seasons?

Negated

Postby Negated » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

God Eater has probably the most generic story and boring set of characters of all the animes I have ever watched. I like the visuals and music, but if things don't improve in the next episode, I will drop it.

I am thinking about following Overlord. Any opinions on how it is?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:50 pm UTC

Overlord hard to say, might be decent the first episodes weren't bad.
Some second hand manga or novel spoilers
Spoiler:
Though according to spoilers he is totally overpowered for this world, beside his own underlings little comes close to his powers. But at least he doesn't know that and has to be cautious.

Also the "being an undead skeleton makes him have far less empathy and other feelings" thing might mean that he will do some ruthless things so if that bothers you in a MC that could become a problem.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:01 pm UTC

Anyone watching Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai? Silly comedy about ecchi stuff in a bullshit dystopian background. So much stupidity is marvellous. I don't expect it to be a great show to be remembered, but it's been quite funny so far.

I think it is a bit refreshing that while so many series show us perverted stuff while pretending to be innocent, this one only talks about perverted stuff while showing us very little.

Edit: okay, episode 4 wasn't very subtle. Ahem~
Last edited by Grop on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Anyone watching Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai? Silly comedy about ecchi stuff in a bullshit dystopian background. So much stupidity is marvellous. I don't expect it to be a great show to be remembered, but it's been quite funny so far.

I think it is a bit refreshing that while so many series show us perverted stuff while pretending to be innocent, this one only talks about perverted stuff while showing us very little.

Is it just me or are anime titles getting longer as time goes on?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

It has become common to give light novels sentences as names and it's based on a LN.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

http://myanimelist.net/anime/27441/Show_By_Rock!!/userrecs
Wow "Now and Then, Here and There" for watchers of show by rock might be one of the least fitting "if you liked x you might like y" recommendations I have ever seen.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:21 am UTC

I feel like I'd actually like Chaos Dragon if the premise didn't remind me so goddamn much of Bokurano
like, I'm reading episode synopses and it seems like there's cool stuff happening in there, but this idea that Ibuki has to kill someone or have someone die every time he wants to use the power of the Red Dragon just grates on me

I would not have this problem if the sword just needed one soul to activate and then could be used freely, but then we couldn't traumatize Ibuki repeatedly could we?

it just feels cheap
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

I find the treatment of the superpowers in Charlotte almost annoyingly simplistic. Hey you have totally cool powers but just don't use them because evil scientist, k thx bye. (Also you will lose them when you grow up and we are comparing them with an illness for some weird reason.)

It's not like you can realistically find all people with powers before scientists with some powers could. How about bringing the fight in the media who probably would have some interest in people with fucking superpowers and them getting experimented on. Media attention would probably help against them just disappearing. And if somehow the media gets controlled try the global media.

Or do something else just do something that is directed at the problem not pointless things like now. I mean maybe they can hide their obvious power uses in their school but look at the baseball match. They used his super obvious, super flashy superspeed power in front of the whole other team. That doesn't help baseball guy to hide better it just makes it super obvious to any evil scientist organization that there is superpower use in the area that they should investigate because rumors are inevitable.

Also the little sister will die now that she is out of pizza sauce. The Pizza Sauce was her life blood and she is already coughing. And as we all know in real life coughing isn't all that alarming, but in an anime it's a sign of a deadly illness of deadliness.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:41 am UTC

kiniget wrote:I feel like I'd actually like Chaos Dragon if the premise didn't remind me so goddamn much of Bokurano
like, I'm reading episode synopses and it seems like there's cool stuff happening in there, but this idea that Ibuki has to kill someone or have someone die every time he wants to use the power of the Red Dragon just grates on me

I would not have this problem if the sword just needed one soul to activate and then could be used freely, but then we couldn't traumatize Ibuki repeatedly could we?

it just feels cheap

It's almost as if they are playing a table top rpg, and turned it into an anime.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 am UTC

I read that the tabletop didn't have the "need a soul each time" thing.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 am UTC

why the hell did they change it?
oh right
Urobuchi is involved
what am I thinking

moving on, I was not expecting Akagami no Shirayuki-hime to be this enjoyable
I mean, I almost never like romance-type shows, but I'm really liking this
I think a lot of that is because of Shirayuki herself, she reminds me a lot of Yona from Akatsuki no Yona, there's that same determination and refusal to be helpless
also Zen is an idiot and I love him
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 am UTC

kiniget wrote:why the hell did they change it?
oh right
Urobuchi is involved
what am I thinking

moving on, I was not expecting Akagami no Shirayuki-hime to be this enjoyable
I mean, I almost never like romance-type shows, but I'm really liking this
I think a lot of that is because of Shirayuki herself, she reminds me a lot of Yona from Akatsuki no Yona, there's that same determination and refusal to be helpless
also Zen is an idiot and I love him

It's not as good as the gold standard of charming romances, Spice and Wolf forever but it has it's moments. There's more mystery elements than I expected, so they're changing it up a bit. I half expected the first evil prince to show up again.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:02 am UTC

Man I just know that School-Live is going to get depressing as fuck before it ends.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:07 am UTC

you mean it isn't already?
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:40 am UTC

Is anybody else watching GATE? It's modern Japan versus fantasy peeps.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 am UTC

I am watching Gate. The plot is made of many unoriginal things: real world people go to fantasy world, unexplained gates, main character is an otaku, harem setting...

There is something interesting about the military trying so hard to be nice with the civilians of the country they have invaded; we have seen that before in Library Wars for instance, but here it is working. I think we can predict it won't work forever, especially when non-Japanese armies enter the game.

In that regard the music in episode 6 was very ironic.

Spoiler:
Ride Of The Valkyries - of course it would normally be cheap to show combat copters playing it, but it was a funny thing to do it that context.

Well I like this show so far.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 am UTC

Gate
Spoiler:
Yes and (assuming the japanese army are supposed to be good) I'm a bit bothered by how little regard for the lives of their far inferior foes they have. Like in the last episode: Yeah nothing against stopping the army trying to capture the town. But you are far ahead of them in technology how about at least verbally demanding they surrender after they have seen how outclassed they are instead of shooting everyone inside the walls down with machine guns.

It seems a bit like a fantasy about trampling over some hopelessly outclassed enemies.

Btw the original books are supposed to be super nationalistic which was then toned down with each adaption step.

Rokka no Yuusha:
Spoiler:
Why do some people in comment sections feel compelled to go "I read the novel it was X!" not even too obvious hints but out right saying it? Though at least it's not wholly unexpected and them playing mafia is still fun.

kiniget

Postby kiniget » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:52 am UTC

Gakkou Gurashi! has surpassed all my expectations

I had no idea what I was getting into to begin with, but now I'm very glad that I did

and honestly, this last episode was a microcosm of the series as a whole: equal parts soul-crushing and uplifting with Yuki very nearly having to face reality as her delusions start to break down, but then all the girls send letters by balloon to whoever might find them

and yes

Miki sends a letter to Kei
was once kinigget

-Agatha Heterodyne

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm UTC

I'm enjoying Rokka no Yuusha the most this season. Gangsta looks pretty boss too but my RSS broke and I've not watched past an ep or two yet, will do so later. Gate also looks great.

Was pumped for Chaos Dragon but dropped it after 2 episodes because it was utter shite.

RSSing Overlord and Shimoneta, might catch up with them later, but only seen first two eps for now.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

I like Ushio to Tora; it has this feel of a show from the 90s (and is the adaptation of a 90s manga).

Rokka no Yuusha is nice watching, but I think the dialogues could be more rational in a show where they talk so much.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

Rational? I found the mafia game reasonably rational until now, or what do you mean? (Except for chamie of course because she is a murderous psycho.)

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm UTC

I keep seeing appeals to feelings and no real arguments. Consider that argument between Nashetania and Goldov in last episode: neither was able to provide any viable reason for what they believe, and they only argued about trust and believing in each other.

Nashetania might think of factual arguments (such as where she knows Adlet from) but she doesn't. All she does is whine that Adlet should be trusted or something, while never helping him at all.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

That could be because she did it and is only defending him to get a better alibi for round 2 while trying to prepare a new target for the next round. Or maybe not who knows. But the amount of possible logical arguments in this phase is limited and she has been acting irrational the whole time anyway. (What with her risking damage of the controls when she was lashing out. Of course that is only irrational if she isn't the culprit.) However if you have no concrete reasons, judging by how much you trust people isn't necessarily irrational.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”