Page 2 of 3

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 am UTC
by zug
Phrozt wrote:Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).

A Clockwork Orange, with lots more detail of ultraviolence. >:]

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm UTC
by Phrozt
zug wrote:
Phrozt wrote:Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).

A Clockwork Orange, with lots more detail of ultraviolence. >:]



Actually, that's a great choice. I can recall when I first watched it that it seems we're thrown into the movie right when their ultraviolence peaked... and I think they reason they did so was because they had to get on to the entire point of the film w/out wasting too much time, because the point itself took a significant amount of time.

I could easily watch hours more that described how such a band was put together in the first place, their first violence and how they reacted... maybe some extra backstory on their quarrels w/the other gangs, etc. Heck, thinking about this just now, I could easily see a mentor figure that puts the gang together in the first place and transfers his knowledge before moving on w/his life, then comes back into the picture after the treatment takes place.. etc. etc.

That could *easily* flesh in another handful of hours in and of itself.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 am UTC
by lu6cifer
My first instinct was to choose the longest movie, thus cutting the number of times I would have to watch it (Btw, here's a list)
But then I realized that I'd probably lose interest in them within a couple of hours.

Though, I could probably watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail for a day straight.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:09 am UTC
by apricity
I definitely agree with the Lion King, or most other musicals. (Dr. Horrible repeated 32 times?) I don't ever get sick of musicals, and I am pretty sure I would sing along with every song, every time. Also, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the King. Either of those would be good because whenever you get bored you can just think of the other movies in the series (but those are the best of their respective trilogies).

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 am UTC
by folkhero
As for a movie expanded to 24 hours, I'd like to see Mulhouland Drive. It was supposed to be a pilot for a TV series but it clearly didn't make any economic sense for any television stations (even premium cable). I would love to see what David Lynch would have done with a couple seasons worth of showtime.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:42 pm UTC
by headprogrammingczar
There's one song in Doctor Horrible that would actually take that many viewings to learn the words to (the beginning of the "You're Gonna Die" song).

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:07 pm UTC
by apricity
headprogrammingczar wrote:There's one song in Doctor Horrible that would actually take that many viewings to learn the words to (the beginning of the "You're Gonna Die" song).
Eh, it only took me about 10 listens to learn the words to that one :)

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:25 am UTC
by frogman
Phrozt wrote:Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).


Anything that was a book and was made into a movie. Just sayin'.

I don't think I could actually watch any movie that many times over and over again. However when I was a kid I watched "El Dorado" a lot. I mean like a lot. I could play the first 30 minutes in my head because I had memorized all of the dialogue.

So yeah maybe that.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:58 pm UTC
by The Liger
Hah, insane but brilliant idea.

If a musical (which I think is a brilliant idea - Lion King especially), why not a proper epic one like Sound of Music. You wouldn't have to watch it as many times as a shorter Disney one. Or hell, go the whole hog with something like Ben Hur.

Alternatively I'd advise something messed up like a Tarantino film: probably Pulp Fiction, both because it's long and fantastic, and full of witty banter. The advantage of a film like that is that there's not so much of an obvious "Beginning -> Middle -> End" - it sort of just flows, which might make it harder on the first few showings, but means that you don't get the feeling of, "Oh, it's finally over, aaand here it begins again." At least that's the theory. Then again, the difference in mood between the end and subsequent beginning of a film might actually make the transitions easier; otherwise it really will seem like one LONG Tarantino epic.

Really good animated comedies are a possibility as well. I'd actually be up for watching The Emperor's New Groove 18 times over, even if it costs me my sanity.

However, one thing to remember is that whatever film you watch will probably be ruined for the rest of your life, so don't pick one that's too dear to you.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 am UTC
by Psycho Goose
Something by David Lynch. Because no matter how many times you watch Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, or Inland Empire, they will never make sense.

Or... *looks on Wikipedia for longest movie to seem even remotely interesting* you could watch Satantango. You'd only get three, three and a half viewings.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:58 am UTC
by Jesse
It's bad enough watching Eraserhead once, why would you voluntarily watch it more?

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am UTC
by Psycho Goose
To prove that you can.

Mind you, I like Eraserhead. But it's not the kind of movie I can watch often.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 am UTC
by Philwelch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

Comedies are straight out, because jokes get old. Any Monty Python movie, quite frankly, doesn't ever need to be seen or referenced again for at least a generation--that's how overplayed the jokes are by now.

Seriously, anyone here who would watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again would probably chuckle if I responded to this thread with "in Soviet Russia, movie watches YOU nonstop for 24 hours!" because that's how fucking old the jokes are by now.

Related: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=chappelle

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:17 am UTC
by Blokey
Expanded to 24 hours: Oldboy, and Being John Malkovich.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 am UTC
by Ranulfr
The Road to El Dorado (best american animation IMHO) as far as a cartoon, Pulp Fiction for realistic.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:27 am UTC
by jakemaheu
How about Repo! The Genetic Opera?

That is one of my favorite movies of all time, actually. All the songs in it are pretty catchy (excluding Seventeen, I don't think it fits with the theme) and the plot is pretty good. I'd say I've wasted at least 24 hours on it in total, and I think I could watch it for that long, straight.

Also, if muting was an option, the people I'd watch it with would sing along with me. That would be really fun!

EDIT: I could also watch either The Brave Little Toaster or The Emperor's New Groove. Isn't that air conditioner just nightmare fuel? He freaks out so badly that he basically has an aneurysm on camera! Also, the evil junkyard magnet scared the shit out of me when I was little. It still gives me chills to see his angry, red, foreboding figure approach the good guys.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 am UTC
by ian
Probably something I've already seen lots of times, Star Wars is the obvious choice, followed by Serenity or Empire Records. Possibly Mallrats

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm UTC
by black rook in rainy weather
ian wrote:Possibly Mallrats

Thats an interesting choice..

I think I could do it with Clerks 2, its such a friendly movie, and I love Rosario's performance so much. But overall its a really easy watch anyway so I doubt I'd get bored (at least as quick as I would with other flicks).

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 am UTC
by ranthlor
Canadian Bacon
john candy's best movie, i used to watch it like twice a week when i was little

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:11 am UTC
by Midnight
Ranulfr wrote:The Road to El Dorado (best american animation IMHO)

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LION KING!?!
Edit: Let me expand upon this. The Lion King is an amazing film. Aladdin is an amazing film. Snow White's pretty cool. Stuff like that. El Dorado, on the other hand, was Not Very Good, for me at least--and this is from the perspective of watching it when it came out when I was much younger, and in The Now.
Honestly, the best disney cartoon in the past decade or so would have to go to The Emperor's New Groove with david spade as the llama emperor. That movie is damn hilarious.
But honestly. The Lion King could beat El Dorado without even going into elton john's best compositions. The dialogue is great. The hamlet-but-happy plot is great. It's great.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 am UTC
by Ranulfr
HAVE YOU SEEN THE LION KING!?!
Edit: Let me expand upon this. The Lion King is an amazing film. Aladdin is an amazing film. Snow White's pretty cool. Stuff like that. El Dorado, on the other hand, was Not Very Good, for me at least--and this is from the perspective of watching it when it came out when I was much younger, and in The Now.
Honestly, the best disney cartoon in the past decade or so would have to go to The Emperor's New Groove with david spade as the llama emperor. That movie is damn hilarious.
But honestly. The Lion King could beat El Dorado without even going into elton john's best compositions. The dialogue is great. The hamlet-but-happy plot is great. It's great.

Yes, yes i have seen the Lion King, it was the first movie i ever saw. While ill admit that its a great movie i would have to put The Road to El Dorado in front of it for a couple of reasons. First off is the sheer sense of adventure that i dont think that disney was ever able to capture as well as dreamworks. Plus you have Tulio and Miguel which are a great duo and the fact that its not really a kids film. I never really appreciated the hamlet but happy plot of the lion king because hamlet is sad, its supposed to be sad and making it upbeat wasn't a good move. The Emperors New Groove i hated with a vengeance, the writing was overdone and i think that the moral was dropped on your head like a ton of bricks taped to the nose of a crashing 747. I will always pick The Road to El Dorado over that but hey this is all just my opinion.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:58 pm UTC
by Philwelch
Yo, I'm happy for you, I'mma let you finish, but The Little Mermaid was the best Disney movie of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:42 pm UTC
by akashra
The first time I saw 'Garden State', I watched it another 3 times within the first 48 hours. I think it's reasonable to therefore I could bear watching it the 14ish times it would fill in a 24 hour block.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:56 pm UTC
by mispeled
So you're talking about actually watching the movie over in that 24 hours? Or just having it on in the background?

It's different, you know.

If it's just having it on in the background for 24 hours, I can say that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas makes a great movie for this. I know, I tried it. Of course, various states of sobriety were involved. And possibly bats. I'm not sure, that whole weekend was pretty surreal.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm UTC
by SecondTalon
Philwelch wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

Comedies are straight out, because jokes get old. Any Monty Python movie, quite frankly, doesn't ever need to be seen or referenced again for at least a generation--that's how overplayed the jokes are by now.

Seriously, anyone here who would watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again would probably chuckle if I responded to this thread with "in Soviet Russia, movie watches YOU nonstop for 24 hours!" because that's how fucking old the jokes are by now.

Related: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=chappelle

I disagree. Rush Hour gets better and better the more frequently you watch it in a short amount of time.

Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 am UTC
by Philwelch
Philwelch wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film)#The_Second_Heimat

Comedies are straight out, because jokes get old. Any Monty Python movie, quite frankly, doesn't ever need to be seen or referenced again for at least a generation--that's how overplayed the jokes are by now.

Seriously, anyone here who would watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again would probably chuckle if I responded to this thread with "in Soviet Russia, movie watches YOU nonstop for 24 hours!" because that's how fucking old the jokes are by now.

Related: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=chappelle

I disagree. Rush Hour gets better and better the more frequently you watch it in a short amount of time.

Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.


I have better things to do with my spare time. I'm sorry you don't.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:51 pm UTC
by Dream
SecondTalon wrote:Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

Perhaps. But if you want to harness the true power of repeated viewing of light comedy, you have to go with the only movie that can treat Bosnian war PTSD: Dodgeball. It's layered like that.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 am UTC
by wqdiia
I wouldn't want to pick a movie that I actually like, since after 24 hours of looking at it I probably wouldn't, anymore. I'm thinking something along the lines of The Phantom Menace - something I don't like especially, something I've already seen over ten times, something with simple dialogue and plot (to be memorized with friends, eventually turning sound off from the TV), something not very taxing in any sense. I think TPM is just the sort of movie that would easily turn into a comedy after repeated viewings and sleep deprivation.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 pm UTC
by SecondTalon
Dream wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Then again, after about the eighth viewing, you're no longer watching the film are instead deconstructing the shots and coming up with different interpretations based on the social, economic, and political situations of the late 90s.

Perhaps. But if you want to harness the true power of repeated viewing of light comedy, you have to go with the only movie that can treat Bosnian war PTSD: Dodgeball. It's layered like that.
You realize now that I will have to purchase this movie just so I can watch it for 36 hours straight, you bastard.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 am UTC
by modularblues
Waking Life. Then again, I'm kind of nuts.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:38 pm UTC
by Lounge
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

EDIT: Young Frankenstein would be probably work too.

I'm pretty sure I could just watch Gene Wilder be Gene Wilder for 24 hours.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:30 pm UTC
by el_loco_avs
Ranulfr wrote:
HAVE YOU SEEN THE LION KING!?!
Edit: Let me expand upon this. The Lion King is an amazing film. Aladdin is an amazing film. Snow White's pretty cool. Stuff like that. El Dorado, on the other hand, was Not Very Good, for me at least--and this is from the perspective of watching it when it came out when I was much younger, and in The Now.
Honestly, the best disney cartoon in the past decade or so would have to go to The Emperor's New Groove with david spade as the llama emperor. That movie is damn hilarious.
But honestly. The Lion King could beat El Dorado without even going into elton john's best compositions. The dialogue is great. The hamlet-but-happy plot is great. It's great.

Yes, yes i have seen the Lion King, it was the first movie i ever saw. While ill admit that its a great movie i would have to put The Road to El Dorado in front of it for a couple of reasons. First off is the sheer sense of adventure that i dont think that disney was ever able to capture as well as dreamworks. Plus you have Tulio and Miguel which are a great duo and the fact that its not really a kids film. I never really appreciated the hamlet but happy plot of the lion king because hamlet is sad, its supposed to be sad and making it upbeat wasn't a good move. The Emperors New Groove i hated with a vengeance, the writing was overdone and i think that the moral was dropped on your head like a ton of bricks taped to the nose of a crashing 747. I will always pick The Road to El Dorado over that but hey this is all just my opinion.



I irrationally love Road to Eldorado to bits myself. Not sure if I pick it over the big disney movies (lion king/little mermaid) but I freaking loved it.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm UTC
by el_loco_avs
Phrozt wrote:
Blokey wrote:And from a less objective point, I could personally watch 12 Angry Men over and over.


I'm just saying it's possible.
Image


Here's a fun twist. What movies would you like to see *expanded* to 24 hours (i.e., the story is really great, you think a lot more could be done w/it, and you wouldn't mind watching 24 hours worth of it).



I'd love a *proper* retelling of LOTR. I love the trilogy, but I have to view them as separate.
So a proper LOTR. Would easily take 24 hours. Current extended trilogy clocks in over 12 hours probably :mrgreen:

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm UTC
by AngelaJennings2112
Yeah, Memento. I get a headache just thinking about that one.

I prefer easy on the mind and fun movies, which brings me to Raising Arizona.

A classic that always makes me smile and God only knows, I could use 24 hours of doing that.

"Unpainted Huffhinds"

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:24 pm UTC
by debiatan
I friend of mine and I finally did it! We watched Shinboru sixteen times in a row. It was fun during the first eight screenings. A nightmare after that. We videotaped it, so I'll drop a line once I edit the video and upload it somewhere.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:07 pm UTC
by Magnanimous
The Cure for Insomnia? If you don't fall asleep, of course.

Also, I vote that you watch it A Clockwork Orange-style. Eyes forced open, limbs strapped down, strange man with eye drops.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am UTC
by ^_^
Hmmm fairly sure I've come close to 24 hours straight of Fight Club viewing. Was excellent. Would totally do that again :D
Orrrr Sweeney Todd. Or maybe Donnie Darko. Or something somewhat long but equally awesome, like The Dark Knight ^_^

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 pm UTC
by Mat
Groundhog day.

For a movie expanded to 24hrs I'd pick Run Lola Run. Or maybe Primer :twisted:

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm UTC
by big boss
el_loco_avs wrote:I'd love a *proper* retelling of LOTR. I love the trilogy, but I have to view them as separate.
So a proper LOTR. Would easily take 24 hours. Current extended trilogy clocks in over 12 hours probably


and tom bombadil would finally get his long overdue fame!

On another note:
the human centipede, google a synopsis, i assure you its a real movie and they are making a sequel... the world is a scary place.

Re: Suitable movie to watch nonstop for 24 hours

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 pm UTC
by onix888
Back to the future. Every single time i see this movie i find new interesting detail that make the movie even more impressive and entertaining and watchig trilogy many times in 24 hours would make this even more interesting.