9 [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

podbaydoor

Re: 9 [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Gorgeous visuals. The story takes some clichéd turns and doesn't really expand to the depth it could've...but it's a good, entertaining effort. I considered it worth my 6.50.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Vieto wrote:think this is a case where the video-game came first (LB planet)

Forgive me if I'm just missing the sarcasm, but 9 is actually a seniors short film project (Shane Acker) that Tim Burton liked and wanted to produce. Here it is, in full.

Spoiler:
The final graveyard scene is almost scene for scene

Spoiler:
I'm convinced "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has lost it's original meaning due to other films using it
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 am UTC

I think everyone knows by know it was an idle art / animation project, and in fact does predate the sackpeople from Little Big World, but the resemblance is eerie.

Also, I was a little annoyed by the Tim Burton Morality Anvils at the end, and it seemed to skip ahead far more than an animated feature really needs to (seriously, this is the medium DESIGNED for artistic setpieces and breathtaking cinematography) but still loved it, and my 7 year old loved it.

Also also wik, I agree... musical scene was awesome.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:53 am UTC

The visuals and action were pretty rad. I liked the story, tho' I don't know that it was significantly better than the original short.

I thought the dialogue was a bit lacking, and the characters sort of... over simplified (token female alert*). Although, they sort of did have a reason...
Spoiler:
Being pieces of one person's soul, I guess it's sort of understandable that they be archetypal (and male). That was sort of confusing in its self. 9 remembering what a light bulb is, but not a bullet (what was he trying to do there? Maybe he's just kind of all around impulsive)
The physical design of the characters, and the machine monsters was awesome however. I wonder if they could do a director's cut without the dialogue...

And there's another tally for
Spoiler:
Never build a machine with one giant red eye.
Also looked more than a little like Glados.

I'm a little confused about the ending too.
Spoiler:
Soul energy = violent explosion?
Was it all life forever that the gas/machines destroyed (and needed to be saved by the rag dolls)? They ended with green specks in the raindrop, and it seemed the bodies weren't decomposing... The time line isn't terribly clear, but the cars seem to have time to rust and such.

*arguments about gender could go either way, for the most part there isn't much gender identification, but it seemed like they went just a little out of their way to make 7 feminine, which made the others masculine in contrast.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

I think the twins were the only questionably gendered characters. Is that who you were talking about?

As for the time line, I'm under the impression that it was somewhat less then 5 years since the initial creation of the dolls. Although;
Spoiler:
because the gas killed all life (in the area? yeah, not sure about that), I see no reason why the bodies that we see (the professor, and the mother and child in the car) couldn't be a hundred years old. However, because of a general lack of disarray for the world (books have not crumbled suggesting not too many seasons have past, a record player left outside still works, and things aren't COMPLETELY rusted through), I'm inclined to believe that the puppets woke up fairly soon after the actual war. Based on the videos and newspaper articles, it seems the machines dropped the gas in the mid-fifties, so who knows, 9 woke up in the early 60's?

Also, did anyone find it odd:
Spoiler:
that the big one, whose number escapes me now [5? 3?] was basically just getting high while on guard duty?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure if it was because I spent so long being hyped up about this movie, or if it just sucked in general, but I was very disappointed. I've heard mixed reviews. Some people have loved it, some have hated it. I think the majority of people who loved it are basing their opinion on the animation -which IS awesome, but I don't think the plot was enough for an hour long movie. The entire time, I just kept thinking that it would have been better suited for a music video or kept as a short. There wasn't enough character or story development in my opinion.
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:whose number escapes me now [5? 3?]

8, and everyone in the theater was laughing at that part. The first time I saw him in the movie I wanted to shout out "IT'S KRATOS!" I would have too if only my friends and I were there.

punkymonkey wrote:but I don't think the plot was enough for an hour long movie

Yeah. it's a really short movie as it is, and there were some places in it that just felt like they were trying to pa the length out some more. That was probably my only real problem with the movie.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think the twins were the only questionably gendered characters. Is that who you were talking about?
The gender of the characters is pretty subjective, being simple rag dolls and all. They could have cast all female voice actors, and I don't think the movie would change significantly. However having 7 as the only one voiced by a woman makes her stand out, and draws attention to gender characteristics (like how she's the one to comfort 3 and 4). Like I said, it's sort of understandable in that
Spoiler:
they're made from the scientist's soul, 7 could be sort of an anima character. Tho' I didn't think they went too deep into that sort of allegory. Things are sort of abrupt, motivations are hard to follow, and the contrasting ideologies definitely have a bit of the morality anvil in them.

As for the time line, I'm under the impression that it was somewhat less then 5 years since the initial creation of the dolls. Although;
Spoiler:
because the gas killed all life (in the area? yeah, not sure about that), I see no reason why the bodies that we see (the professor, and the mother and child in the car) couldn't be a hundred years old. However, because of a general lack of disarray for the world (books have not crumbled suggesting not too many seasons have past, a record player left outside still works, and things aren't COMPLETELY rusted through), I'm inclined to believe that the puppets woke up fairly soon after the actual war. Based on the videos and newspaper articles, it seems the machines dropped the gas in the mid-fifties, so who knows, 9 woke up in the early 60's?

Also, did anyone find it odd:
Spoiler:
that the big one, whose number escapes me now [5? 3?] was basically just getting high while on guard duty?

8 was the big one, and yeah, I thought that was sort of a neat gag after wondering why he was carrying around a magnet.

The things that sort of throw me about the time line are
Spoiler:
how the scientist had to be alive to finish 9, but 9 obviously doesn't come around until a while after the war has been over.
Also 1 and 2 seem to have had time to age, at the same time 1 through 8 had a while to spend together, and neither 1 or 2 seems to have much understanding as to what their purpose is.
Also I took it to be an alternate reality/ retro future. There was a 50's or 60's look to the films, but I don't think it was meant to really place things chronologically. They had holograms and such

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 am UTC

In regards to the timeline...

Spoiler:
Is it not possible that each one was sort of stripping away layers? 1 and 2 were old, so they would have come off first. The top / most recent layer would have been fearful, full of recrimination and negativity, after what he did to the world. 2, the next layer down, was old but full of piss and vinegar, back when the scientist was creating The Machine. 3 and 4 were when he was researching and studying to create the Machine, documenting everything (like the Golem Animus information). 5 and 6 might have been his early adult life, confused but friendly. 7 might have been his teen years, aggressive and girl-crazy. 8 would have been his late childhood, possibly a little bit of a bully and a spoilsport, and 9 would have been the earliest part of his life: full of wonder and curiosity, fearless and adventurous. And with no more spirit left to give... the scientist died.

And it seems 9 didn't wake up until he was jolted. He might have hung there for years.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

None of the theaters I visit have announced that they're showing this. I'm kinda pissed.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

You should just wait to download buy the DVD once it comes out. There might be some special features that provide more clarity on the storyline.
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

MJ, that is the most interesting take on the progression of characters I've heard of.

Spoiler:
I recall thinking there was a strange relationship between 2 and 9, the typical old mentor/young student so often utilized in mythology. Indeed, 9 as the innocent protagonist is intriguing in and of itself, given that his mistake essentially set the entire catastrophe into motion.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:19 am UTC

The movie didn't end the way I thought it would: I thought that the story would actually subvert the usual clichéd "rescue everyone you can from the evil" plot and end with the dolls all giving themselves up to The Machine. That was what it was seeking, the only thing it lacked: a whole soul. It would, in effect, be the scientist reborn. And then, newly awakened in humanity combined with intellect, it would go on to create a new world of sentient mechanical constructs, and the dolls would be reunited as part of the whole they once were.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:14 am UTC

That's WAYYYYY to complicated for a Tim Burton movie. YOU! NEED! MORALITY! ANVILS!!!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Y'know, I can't help thinking if they would have explored the idea of the characters as mind fragments a little more deeply, they would cease to be ideological mouth pieces and become archetypes, making the morality much less anvilicious.
Spoiler:
I do like the analysis of the characters as ordered chronologically. That would make sense of why 1 has it in for 2, tho' not why he has the cape and pope hat, or why none except 9 seem to have encountered the scientist or his ideas.

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Wrote my own review of this... not as good as it could have been, but it was good for an afternoon out.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Hey, at least it was short...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:In regards to the timeline...

Spoiler:
Is it not possible that each one was sort of stripping away layers? 1 and 2 were old, so they would have come off first. The top / most recent layer would have been fearful, full of recrimination and negativity, after what he did to the world. 2, the next layer down, was old but full of piss and vinegar, back when the scientist was creating The Machine. 3 and 4 were when he was researching and studying to create the Machine, documenting everything (like the Golem Animus information). 5 and 6 might have been his early adult life, confused but friendly. 7 might have been his teen years, aggressive and girl-crazy. 8 would have been his late childhood, possibly a little bit of a bully and a spoilsport, and 9 would have been the earliest part of his life: full of wonder and curiosity, fearless and adventurous. And with no more spirit left to give... the scientist died.

And it seems 9 didn't wake up until he was jolted. He might have hung there for years.

Spoiler:
In regards to the timeline, I think the movie started right after the scientist created 9. When 9 came into being, he'd have no clue what a body really was, so seeing one or not seeing one wouldn't really mean much to him. Also, 2 was on his way to the scientist, which seemed to imply that he was headed towards the "source."

The way I see the dolls is this:
- 1 was intelligence. After the scientist created the process and the machines to do so, he had no need for his intelligence, and he knew it would probably hinder his ability to actually displace his soul, because his intelligence would tell him not to. Intelligence alone is arrogant and unforgiving.
- 2 was ingenuity. Again, after creating the machine he needed to extract his soul, he had no need of the ability to put things together and create something, and that's what 2 seemed to do.
- 3-4 was research. Same thing.
- 5 was social. More prone to listen to other people, seek other people, and wanted to be liked by everyone.
- 6 was thought/wisdom. Crazy at times, invaluable at times. The scientist didn't need much thought to keep doing what he was doing.
- 7 was adventure. Had to be one of the last few to go so that he could count on it for support.
- 8 was will. Had to be the second to last to go so that he still possessed the drive to get through the process.
- 9 was human spirit. A bit of everything, but basically compassion for the human race, which is what we find was the whole reason he split himself off in the first place. This had to be the last one so that he always had purpose for what he was doing. Will enforced this purpose, adventure supported it.

I dunno, but I just saw each doll as separate emotions and, for the reasons I described, I saw very logical reasons for the timeline at which they were created.

That being said, as others have mentioned, I was disappointed a bit. I too thought there were a lot of great ideas but the plot that put them together was relatively thin. I did not think the ending fit very well at all w/the movie and I think because of previous "thinness" in the plot, the end was much more poorly received than the director most likely intended for it to be. It seemed to be an ending that you thought was supposed to have some meaning, and probably did have meaning to the people that created it and understood exactly what they wanted, but for those that weren't a part of that creative processes, there was something missing.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Just disagree on a few points, but yeah, those were basically the tropes that each character embodied.

Phrozt wrote:
Spoiler:
- 1 was intelligence. After the scientist created the process and the machines to do so, he had no need for his intelligence, and he knew it would probably hinder his ability to actually displace his soul, because his intelligence would tell him not to. Intelligence alone is arrogant and unforgiving.
There's no way that the "blind-eyes-open" fascist nutbar was 'intelligence', imho.

- 8 was will. Had to be the second to last to go so that he still possessed the drive to get through the process.
He was basically the drug addict / junkie. Not a lot of willpower there. Willpower wouldn't have needed such a specially-designed gigantic body.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Just disagree on a few points, but yeah, those were basically the tropes that each character embodied.

Phrozt wrote:
Spoiler:
There's no way that the "blind-eyes-open" fascist nutbar was 'intelligence', imho.

He was basically the drug addict / junkie. Not a lot of willpower there. Willpower wouldn't have needed such a specially-designed gigantic body.

Spoiler:
Of course he was intelligence. All he cared about was the bottom line. He was the part of every scientist's mind that can easily sacrifice everything (family, personal wellness, etc) for his own pursuits because he felt they were more important than anything else. 1 arranged everything, made all the plans, assigned everyone responsibilities, and had no problems w/others sacrificing themselves for something he thought was more important.

As for 8, maybe willpower was the wrong word. Yeah, he was a junkie, but he was the one that possessed the ability to do what he was told and keep at it. Sharpening his weapons for upcoming battles, facing monsters that he didn't really think he could beat, but did it anyway because that's what he was "supposed to do." I guess I'm at a loss at the moment for what exactly that would be called. Either way, I believe it is a quality that the scientist needed until the end to make sure he kept with his plan, despite the fact that he basically knew he was killing himself.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Maybe steadfastness? Cosntancy?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Duty?

All those things bely 'doing drugs while on guard duty', though... not sure how to put it.

Also, your 'intelligence' seems incredibly selfish. The 'intelligent' thing to do would be to find a way to solve the problems, instead of killing off the intelligent members of your community with suicide missions, imprisoning the pro-active newcomers, adorning yourself with meaningless finery, and above all, not listening to the input of others.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't think integrity was really the motivation in his actions. He liked to fight and push people around, there wasn't a lot of morality to it.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
I think that 1 was pride, 2 was intelligence, 3 and 4 were curiosity, 5 was loyalty, I don't know about 6, 7 was courage, 8 was obedience, 9 was optimism, get up and go?

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:47 am UTC

Re: Phrozt's interpretation:
Spoiler:
I agree with others; intelligence isn't a good fit for 1. I would describe him as callous and self-serving. This would actually fit better with your "things he needs to get rid of" approach.
Also, props to The Scientist for remembering the importance of backing up your data by creating 3 and 4.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:Re: Phrozt's interpretation:
Spoiler:
I agree with others; intelligence isn't a good fit for 1. I would describe him as callous and self-serving. This would actually fit better with your "things he needs to get rid of" approach.
Also, props to The Scientist for remembering the importance of backing up your data by creating 3 and 4.

Spoiler:
Right, but what I'm saying is, if you single these different aspect out, then they don't have the other to balance the person out as a whole.

IMO, intelligence is callous and self-serving. I'm a web developer, and when someone is telling me that an app is "doing something it never did before," the first thing I think of is that it's probably user error, because code doesn't change. If it's not corrupted data, it's either systems messing w/something, or the user screwed up. That's pretty callous and self-serving, but it comes from intelligence. Think of the stereotypical nerd; "I know more than you, so don't waste my time," and giving up a social life/not giving a crap about others so they can focus on what tickles their brain instead.

Of course it's all just my opinion, and I've been wrong plenty of times before :).

makc

Postby makc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
cephalopod9 wrote:Never build a machine with one giant red eye.
Yeah, one would think they will learn after 2010.
Izawwlgood wrote:because the gas killed all life (in the area? yeah, not sure about that), I see no reason why the bodies that we see (the professor, and the mother and child in the car) couldn't be a hundred years old.
didn't professor die just mere moments before 9 gained consciousness?

any way, to quote myself, I’ve got used to thinking machines revolting against humans in each and every movie (in fact, I was trying to think of some examples of movies where they don’t, but couldn’t remember anything except maybe Star Wars), but this time I couldn’t even understand why it did that. So I went online to look it up, and found plausible explanation in wikipedia:

After being forced to build more and more war machines, the Fabrication Machine snapped under the pressure and self-programed the war machines to attack any sign of life. After the humans were destroyed, the Fabrication Machine fell dormant (for an unknown reason) until 9 awakened it…

So we basically have tired and pissed robot who wants to get some sleep :) In fact, I can relate to this story and like it a lot, and this could be all there is to it, if not for little detail that does not fit. The cat robot. It should certainly know that fabrication machine went as far as to destroy all the life to get some sleep and understand that it is not, therefore, very good idea to wake it up; yet, it does its best to this end. How would you explain that?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:11 am UTC

The way I see it the machine
Spoiler:
is still hell bent on destroying all life, and keeping it destroyed. Almost all the bone-machine-monsters act as scouts or soldiers, it's hard to gauge whether they have some kind of independent sentience. It's clearly in the machine's interest to get a hold of the... soul box, (but doesn't go through the trouble of finding the thing on its own...)
I think it's clear a fair bit of time has passed since the destruction of all life (excepting the dolls) and it probably wouldn't be easy or efficient for the machine to be running that entire time. Part of it too, is the whole bit about the machine not having a soul, possibly also lacking awareness or thought.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
No, the film was pretty clear that the machine was sentient - thus self-aware and freethinking. What it lacked was humanity/compassion/a soul.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Waylah

Postby Waylah » Sat May 01, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Just saw this film and it was AWESOME! right up until ... the completely stupid ending. SO FRUSTRATING!! its was awesome and awesome and awesome and completely retarded. I totally agree with podbaydoor,
Spoiler:
"The movie didn't end the way I thought it would: I thought that the story would actually subvert the usual clichéd "rescue everyone you can from the evil" plot and end with the dolls all giving themselves up to The Machine. That was what it was seeking, the only thing it lacked: a whole soul. It would, in effect, be the scientist reborn. And then, newly awakened in humanity combined with intellect, it would go on to create a new world of sentient mechanical constructs, and the dolls would be reunited as part of the whole they once were."

you're saying exactly what I was thinking. I was so frustrated with the retarded
Spoiler:
green wispy life-force soul stuff can make magic rain full of microbes!
thing, that I created my own ending in my head, and it basically goes like this:
Spoiler:
movie as-is up until 9 is running towards the others saying "i know the truth! we _are_ the scientist!" or whatever he said, except he then tells the others that 6 was right, the others are in there, we need to join them, to complete it, that the red-eyed fabricator needs them. I'm thinking 1 will probably raise objections, there will be some good scriptwriting in there as maybe 5 is scared, and 9 says something about them all being part of something bigger, then 7 thinks about it then believes in 9, 5 sides with 9, and 3&4 scuttle over to join the rest, then 1 says something poignant but sort of resigned, admitting that he has been wrong in the past, but decides now to face his fears. Then they all face the monster who is approaching, and we get some nice close-up kind of shots of their faces, filled with fear, hope, more fear, anticipation, and courage as they face possible annihilation together, then the monster arrives close and stops, facing them all, and the red eye shuts, the thingo lights up, and we have a sort of heart-stopping silence, with a zoomed-out view of the entire scene, with the monster facing the tiny helpless dolls all clustered together, set in the stunning desolate world, and we hear the sound and see the green flashes, (still in the zoomed out scene), and it immediately goes black. then we have a view of the closed eye of the monster. everything is eerily quiet, just a bit windy, the scene is windswept as you really feel that there is nothing left in this world except this one creature, that hasn't moved yet. then the eye slowly awakens, except, it is no longer red, but an even, bright, full green, like the talisman. the creature slowly creaks as it starts to move, and it raises a claw to its eye, and looks at it slowly, raising another, and it looks at its claws, then out at the world around it. then it looks down at the lifeless dolls below it, and carefully picks 9 up and looks at it. They are thoroughly fried, and it is clear they are all beyond an easy zap-back-to-life. Then the creature looks up, and around at the world around it. end scene.
The next scene is still, and we are looking at the junk yard. nothing is moving except a bit of something in the wind. then we see a new little face pop up among the rubble. then another. then another. and as we pan out, we see many new creations, tentative and curious, exploring the world around them. they are all moving slowly away from some central point, which we begin to see as a centre of activity, and at the centre of this is the green-eyed fabricator, busy at work giving new life to this planet. Perhaps the last shot we see is one of the new creatures exploring, but this one has a little bit of 1 to 9 about it, and we see it discovering the battery and light-globe. It tentatively picks them up and looks at them, and places bulb atop battery, and touches the base and side with its metal hand. as the bulb lights up, the face on the new little character is filled with surprise and wonder, as we watch the beginning of something new.
So that's my ending. I like it a lot better, it seems to fit with the rest of the story much better, doesn't involve
Spoiler:
green magic wispy stuff = biogenesis! :O
doesn't have the
Spoiler:
green ghosty-looking projections of the lost characters
and i feel it still carries on the idea I think they were trying to give of
Spoiler:
the hope of beginning new life on a wasted planet, except, without the crazy stupid green wisp makes clouds thunder and rain life-water!!!

So, any animators out there want to get working on an alternate ending?

makc

Postby makc » Sat May 01, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

Waylah wrote:I created my own ending in my head
why not in my_ending.avi?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 am UTC

So I just saw this movie and thought it sucked.
I thought the exposition was... weird. They dropped a whole ton at the start and a lot you were supposed to infer, but then Elijah Wood kept getting all intense about saving the scientist guy from the cat-beast even though he'd known the scientist guy for approximately three minutes, and that's just one example. There was a lot of like "OH THIS IS IMPORTANT" in-movie, while us audience members thought "wait, why?"
The ending was a joke.
Visually... I was underwhelmed. I expected it to be cooler. I see a goodly amount of animation, I guess, so I wasn't very impressed. I noticed, especially in the character of 9, that the textures seemed particularly flat. It didn't look like he was woven of sackcloth, it looked like he had a sackcloth texture pasted on him. Coraline was awesome because it was claymation, and you got that depth in everything. It's a lot harder to do with computers, but Pixar does an admirable job... so again, underwhelmed.
Maybe it's because I think Tim Burton is a crock, from corpsebride and beyond, or maybe it's cause it was super-hyped (especially the visuals) and maybe it was because I think the movie was a textbook example of "guy takes 10 minute film and has to extend it to 90 minutes"--there's a lot of opportunity, but part of the magic of short film is that distillation of everything, and the requirement to get as much going as fast as possible, and I think that gets lost in the translation to feature-film length.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”