Burn After Reading

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Burn After Reading

Postby Narsil » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

I'm surprised there isn't a topic on this yet. It's the latest Coen brothers film (Fargo, No Country for Old Men) and it is phenomenal.

I was a little mixed up until the middle, then that one thing happened in the closet and I was like "fuck. this movie is not playing around" and spent the reset of the film slack-jawed in awe.

I won't say anything else, as it did kind of just come out, but go see it.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

TheAmazingRando

Re: Burn After Reading

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

I found it quite excellent, if a bit disorienting, but I think that's how dark comedies are supposed to be. The acting (and selection of actors) was also superb.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 am UTC

Just saw it. One of the more...interesting movies I've seen in a while.

Spoiler:
DILDO CHAIR

babyduo

Postby babyduo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 am UTC

It doesn't open in my country until October! :x
I can't wait to see it!

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I watched it with my sister who does not have that dark sense of humor and hated it, but I thought it was great.
The beginning was a bit slow for me and I thought that fuck was being used to much to make people laugh or something. I don't mind the word it is just that the first few minutes were eh.
Then it got better. All the actors were great.
Spoiler:
The part in the closet upset me because Brad Pitt was awesome... .Him and the Hard Bodies manager should have lived and everyone else could die for all I care.

But at least that girl got her plastic surgery paid for..

One of myy favorite scenes was when linda and chad were on the phone with ozzie.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Sugarhyped, this is a response you your post:
Spoiler:
Exactly! That's the point! Chad and Oswald should have lived! That's the message of the film, is that we do not live in a time where the good are rewarded and the wicked are punished. Linda is a self-absorbed airhead that lets her greed and vanity weave the entire plot of the film. Clooney (whatever his name was-he gets referred to by three different names, anyone else pick up on that?) is the same deal. Everyone. Is the same greedy pig. Not malicious, mind you, but greedy.

This is a very angry film, I thought. Pessimistic to the extreme about our future ans a culture and a race. I keep thinking of the divorce attorney stalking Clooney. "Get over it, it happens to everyone." Talking about divorce. Obviously, the Coen brothers think we are living in an age of moral bankruptcy.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

78% fresh. Might be worth seeing.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Aside from the story (the reveal of Clooney's basement project has to be the funniest thing I've seen in weeks), I found the style and concept very engaging. I think it's rather brilliant to portray the vagaries of marriage and infidelity in the form of a spy thriller, because that's essentially what it is--subterfuge and lies and disguises and secrets and people following other people... And I enjoyed the way they pulled it off--the film is shot, scored, and edited like a very modern spy movie. I was reminded, in fact, of Syriana, (partly because that also features a bearded, paranoid George Clooney).

I think the Coens are making an interesting habit of abrupt, seemingly anti-climactic endings.

This is definitely the best comedy I've seen of theirs, much better than I was expecting. It feels quite deep, with all those lovely parallels to today's problems. And the acting is simply spectacular.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:53 am UTC

for the first part of the movie, I really didn't feel it would live up to my (admittedly quite high) expectations. Even after the closet scene I was only a bit more into it. but after the first scene with J.K. Simmons, I immediately and retro-actively loved the entire movie, and the last scene cinched it.

I wouldn't say this is the best Coen Brothers film, or even their best comedy (though it's a close tie probably, it might eke ahead on a second viewing) but it is an amazing movie.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Simmons does that for me quite often. His voice just makes me want to like the plot he is involved in, sort of like a white Samuel Jackson.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Eh. Didn't particularly care for it. It had a few funny bits, but not nearly enough for it to work as a comedy. It didn't work as a drama, because it lacked character sympathy. It didn't work as a thriller, because there wasn't enough tension. It didn't work as a commentary, because it didn't have enough insight.

Did like the closet bit, though. And there were some good performances, but I think some people overdid the "Hey, look! We're in a comedy!" vibe.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Eh. Didn't particularly care for it. It had a few funny bits, but not nearly enough for it to work as a comedy. It didn't work as a drama, because it lacked character sympathy. It didn't work as a thriller, because there wasn't enough tension. It didn't work as a commentary, because it didn't have enough insight.

It wasn't supposed to work as a drama; it was meant to have very little character sympathy. It wasn't supposed to work as a thriller; that style is there for comedic and thematic purposes only. As for commentary, it was meant more as an opinion piece than an explication. 22/7 has it right--we're all selfish, greedy, dishonest, violent morons, and the government is the same, only with less compassion. It's a pretty angry and nihilistic movie. I consider it the companion comedy to No Country.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Malice wrote:It wasn't supposed to work as a drama; it was meant to have very little character sympathy. It wasn't supposed to work as a thriller; that style is there for comedic and thematic purposes only.

Well, yeah, that's the impression I had. I wouldn't have gone looking for drama or tension if it had worked as a comedy. Since there wasn't much (successful) humor, I started looking for other things.

Malice wrote:As for commentary, it was meant more as an opinion piece than an explication. 22/7 has it right--we're all selfish, greedy, dishonest, violent morons, and the government is the same, only with less compassion. It's a pretty angry and nihilistic movie. I consider it the companion comedy to No Country.

Yes, it is an angry movie, but saying "Hey, people suck!" isn't the same as having insight.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Malice wrote:As for commentary, it was meant more as an opinion piece than an explication. 22/7 has it right--we're all selfish, greedy, dishonest, violent morons, and the government is the same, only with less compassion. It's a pretty angry and nihilistic movie. I consider it the companion comedy to No Country.

Yes, it is an angry movie, but saying "Hey, people suck!" isn't the same as having insight.

Malice wrote:As for commentary, it was meant more as an opinion piece than an explication.

In other words, if you're looking for detailed political insight, no, you won't find it; what it has is an attitude.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Malice wrote:In other words, if you're looking for detailed political insight, no, you won't find it; what it has is an attitude.

Fair enough. I just didn't think the attitude was enough to sustain a 96 minute movie. Attitude is all very well and good, but I need some humor/drama/tension/etc. as well to enjoy a movie.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I liked it a lot. The commercials largely billed it as light comedy, so the [extremely violent spoiler removed] was all the more shocking. Then again, it was a Coen brothers film. You pretty much have to start with the assumption that someone is going to get shot in the face.

After [character death removed], the film got a lot darker and the black humor kicked in. When you got the end, about [percentage removed] of characters were dead, and only the self-obsessed assholes survived.

My theory is that the Coen brothers got sick of watching light comedies where morons and incompetents get in over their heads, and everything comes out okay in the end. So instead, they sat down and wrote a movie that wasn't fucking around, where morons and incompetents got in over their heads, and then got shot in the fucking face. Real world consequences applied to absurd situations, like if coyote charged off a cliff, ran in place in the air for a few seconds, and then fell several hundred meters, breaking his spine, before spending the rest of his life paralyzed in traction, sipping his meals through a straw and breathing through a tube.
I can kill you with my brain.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

It's an excellent date movie.
500%!

HMC

Postby HMC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 am UTC

I enjoyed it. Loved the
Spoiler:
dildo chair