I, Robot

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

HighCharity

I, Robot

Postby HighCharity » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Holy fuck. I watched this movie last week. That movie was fucking amazing. I have to say, I think this movie is either my favourite ever or in the top 3. Fucking awesome. And it's 4 years old. How did you like it?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Memo

Re: I, Robot

Postby Memo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

I hate it. It destroyed any chance we'll ever have for a good Asimov movie based on those stories in the next decade.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Yeah Will Smith and product placements do not make for a good science fiction movie. I wasn't impressed.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

As far as I could tell, it was really not based on the book at all, and if it was, very loosely. I may be wrong, though. If you're not comparing it to the book, then it's pretty awesome, yes?
Gunfingers wrote:Yeah Will Smith and product placements do not make for a good science fiction movie. I wasn't impressed.

I liked I am Legend, but mabye I'm just partial to Will Smith. He did an awesome job in I am Legend, and I, Robot wasn't too bad either.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Just recently watched I, Robot and last night watched I Am Legend.

Liked both. Product placement sucked, but as far as movies go, I was very pleased.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:Just recently watched I, Robot and last night watched I Am Legend.

Liked both. Product placement sucked, but as far as movies go, I was very pleased.

Okay, good. I didn't want to find out that I was, yet again, the only one that liked a certain thing.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

I really liked I Robot even though I have read Asimov's robot stories. The film was so far detached from Asimov's work, that it was easy to avoid comparing the two while watching. I consider it to be a stand-alone film, and as such, it does a good job telling a story.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

I liked both I, Robot and I Am Legend. I also like Will Smith. :)

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I really liked I Robot even though I have read Asimov's robot stories. The film was so far detached from Asimov's work, that it was easy to avoid comparing the two while watching. I consider it to be a stand-alone film, and as such, it does a good job telling a story.

Yeah, I read the book after watching the movie. There really were very few similarities. It is, indeed, a stand-alone film, as far as I am concerned.
Endless Mike wrote:I liked both I, Robot and I Am Legend. I also like Will Smith. :)

Yep, he does an awesome job on most any movie he works with.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

I liked it as a sci-fi action flick, the product placement ranked enough on the 'unintentionally hilarious' side that it didn't ruin anything. and the effects/plot/action were all rather enjoyable.

I refuse to even think of it as an adaptation though, in my mind, it just coincidentally shares a title with a great work of Sci-Fi.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

my theory on this movie is it's all about your expectations. If you go in expecting an Asimov plot or something that competes with blade runner on the sci-fi, you're going to be disappointed. If you go in expecting a mediocre action flick, you'll be blown away.

The story is not Asimov but it is certainly influenced by him and I found it more than sufficient to help what was essentially a wonderful sci-fi action flick. It's one of my favorites too and yes, I thought Will Smith was superb in it, like most of his films.

Point is, it got an unfair reaction from Azimov fans. Just because it included the three laws doesn't mean it has to follow his themes exactly, does it?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

y'know, I don't think Will Smith is a very serious actor, but I've actually been very impressed with him the last couple of years. I, Robot had some great acting on his part, and I think he's done a good job of blending his Fresh Prince humor with actual acting recently.

Spoiler:
I really enjoyed the burden of his knowledge pertaining to the death of the little girl. Very powerful.

I wouldn't call it a top 3 movie, but yeah, it was enjoyable. I want to see some AI movies where everything doesn't go batshit crazy insane. Like, ZOMG, maybe we can work together and achieve greatness?!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I think Will Smith has a lot more acting chops than people give him credit for. I think he just prefers to work on more fun movies with an occasional I Am Legend thrown in now and then. And he was fantastic in I Am Legend. You kind of have to be when you're acting against a dog and manaquins.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Agreed! My biggest problem with I am Legend was how clean he appeared throughout. If you're a hermit living by yourself in a warzone, you aren't going to be showering and shaving daily. Least I wouldn't. But thats a mild and opinionated complaint, his acting was superb, and to be fair, generally is.

Spoiler:
When he strangled the zombie-dog... well done Mr. Smith, well done.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

If anyone wants to see Will Smith actually act, go watch "The Pursuit of Happyness".

I, Robot is despicable. The filmmakers essentially said, "gee, we have this movie about robots, but how are we gonna make sure people come watch it? I know! We'll buy up one o' them science fiction books, slap the title on, and wait for the nerd-bucks to roll on in!"
Of course, they chose the worst possible author for the job, considering Asimov wrote many stories about how robots were awesome and only idiots were afraid of them, and this is a movie about a guy who thinks robots are evil and is proven correct. Yeah, they made up some bullshit at the very end about a computer fucking up, but the other 89 minutes were just Will Smith getting punched in the face by CGI robots over and over and over again.

So, um, yeah. Stand over poor Isaac's grave and you can probably still hear the rolling.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

My biggest problem with the movie was that it flys in the face of all Asimov robot stories. Essentially, they all come down to PEBKAC - it is not the robots who are misbehaving, the humans did something weird.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Agreed! My biggest problem with I am Legend was how clean he appeared throughout. If you're a hermit living by yourself in a warzone, you aren't going to be showering and shaving daily. Least I wouldn't. But thats a mild and opinionated complaint, his acting was superb, and to be fair, generally is.

Spoiler:
When he strangled the zombie-dog... well done Mr. Smith, well done.

According to interviews with the producers of I Am Legend, they spent a lot of time talking to people who had been in isolation for even short periods of time, and the common thread they found was that you REALLY have to maintain a schedule and follow it every day in order to not go crazy (actually crazy). That's why they spent a lot of time showing him doing mundane things like cleaning, going to the video store, and so on. Knowing that really put a lot of the move in perspective. So yeah, you would be showering and shaving daily, if for no other reason than to maintain your sanity.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Malice wrote:If anyone wants to see Will Smith actually act, go watch "The Pursuit of Happyness".

FUCK yes. Superb movie.
... and I disagree on I, Robot with you at the same time.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Like a number of people above, I enjoyed the film. It worked well as a film, just as the short stories worked well as literature. It's a continuum between faithful film adaptations and "loosely inspired by" works. I could swear there's a thread devoted to that already, in fact, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I see no reason why this film should put any sort of damper on any more faithful adaptations of Asimov's novels which might be produced in the future (and which I would definitely want to see if they ever came out).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:44 am UTC

I, Robot: Decent action flick. Not an Asimov story.

Pursuit of Happyness; Freaking awesome.

I Am Legend: See above.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

The film and the books should in now way be considered part of the same story. The book was excellent, and the film was good, but they had very little in common. Naming the one after the other was unfortunate, but if you go in expecting a non-Asimov story then you will come out happy. At least the film did get the concept of "The Evitable Conflict", but theme was opposite that of the book. I guess they were catering to different audiences.
The Pursuit of Happiness was very good, and it did show that Will Smith can take on a more pedestrian acting role and exceed. However, nothing beats the pure amazingness of I Am Legend. I walked into the theater expecting another prolefeed action movie, and walked out with a haunting tale of loss, courage, and hope.

MJPerry

Postby MJPerry » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

I liked I, Robot but then I'm an uncultured swine who has never read Asimov.

Endless Mike wrote:I think Will Smith has a lot more acting chops than people give him credit for. I think he just prefers to work on more fun movies with an occasional I Am Legend thrown in now and then. And he was fantastic in I Am Legend. You kind of have to be when you're acting against a dog and manaquins.

Will Smith is a great actor, it's just unfortunate he did stuff like Men in Black and Wild Wild West. The Pursuit of Happyness is a great film and he's astounding in it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:36 am UTC

MiB and WWW were both brilliant, they were supposed to be a little campy and were really good sci-fi/steam punk comedies (genre's that aren't exactly common place)

It's things like MiB2 he was 'unfortunately' in. But his ability to play roles as disparate as Agent Jay and Chris Gardner is what really shows his impressive acting chops.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 am UTC

All I know for certain is Alan Tudyk was awesome as the robot in I, Robot.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:All I know for certain is Alan Tudyk is awesome.

Fix'd :P

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

If you want to see a film that is actually about the book it is meant to be about, go rent/buy a scanner darkly.

I thought the film was OK, but then I haven't read any Asimov. I know I should...
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I could barely hear the film due to the spinning sound coming from Asimov's grave.

What's worse is the guy was cremated.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

The only bad part about the movie was the title. Yes, they called it I Robot just to make money, when obviously it's a completely different story. Though there are some common themes from both.

In the book, as I recall, the three laws also lead to several mainframe robots controlling the world economy, and people are either ignorant or indifferent to that. This works well as a series of short stories, but if you're going to make an action movie, you need more large-timescale conflict (not just the conflict in each individual story).

In the movie they took the same theme, three laws leading to world domination, but they added conflict by making the revolution violent and unsuccessful, making Will Smith hate robots, and adding the whole murder / breadcrumbs angle. So they ended up with a cool action movie, which also had a great futuristic but gritty atmosphere. And yes, they used the I Robot name and characters, but let's admit it: you wouldn't have seen it if it was called "Robot Revolution" or something.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:05 am UTC

TomBot wrote:The only bad part about the movie was the title. Yes, they called it I Robot just to make money, when obviously it's a completely different story. Though there are some common themes from both.

In the book, as I recall, the three laws also lead to several mainframe robots controlling the world economy, and people are either ignorant or indifferent to that. This works well as a series of short stories, but if you're going to make an action movie, you need more large-timescale conflict (not just the conflict in each individual story).

In the movie they took the same theme, three laws leading to world domination, but they added conflict by making the revolution violent and unsuccessful, making Will Smith hate robots, and adding the whole murder / breadcrumbs angle. So they ended up with a cool action movie, which also had a great futuristic but gritty atmosphere. And yes, they used the I Robot name and characters, but let's admit it: you wouldn't have seen it if it was called "Robot Revolution" or something.

Yeah...Robot Revolution would have grossed a total of about 12 dollars, XD...Also, awesome avatar, I finished Portal the day I got it. :)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I could barely hear the film due to the spinning sound coming from Asimov's grave.

What's worse is the guy was cremated.

Heh. I can just picture the centrifugal separation of the ashes.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am UTC

TomBot wrote:And yes, they used the I Robot name and characters, but let's admit it: you wouldn't have seen it if it was called "Robot Revolution" or something.

I, Robot, is a very shitty title for a movie. Especially this movie, where the main character is definitely not a robot. If they simply wanted people to come to the movie because they'd read the book, they could have called it "The Da Vinci Code" and gotten a lot more business. It makes about as much sense.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:20 am UTC

I, Robot was on the good side of meh. I Am Legend was on the meh side of great.

My uncle was planning to take my cousins to see I Am Legend at the discount theater this past weekend... now, they're Mormons who happen to have a bit of a squeamish streak - horror movies, anything sexual or overly violent, anything terribly stressful for that matter is out. They thought I Am Legend was a sequel to I, Robot (I suppose they haven't watched much TV the past year.) So luckily I was there to ever-so-gently guide them away to watch something a bit more watered down.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Hardwired was a pretty good movie. Too bad they accidentially mislabeled it as I, Robot.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I enjoyed this movie until I read the book, at which point I hated it intensely for a while. The book is amazing, and all thses have in common is that there are machines that are intelligent and they obey three laws.

Then, however, every time I heard the name "I, Robot" in reference to the movie, I would mentally scratch that out and think "Robotmageddon". I'm back to enjoying the movie now.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Kabann wrote:I, Robot was on the good side of meh. I Am Legend was on the meh side of great.

As eloquent a summary as I have ever heard.

swik

Postby swik » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I, Robot was pretty awful, though to be fair, I'd only say "it wasn't good" if the product placements weren't so blatant.
I Am Legend was awesome until
Spoiler:
Will Smith stopped being the only character, then it went downhill fast. Up to that point it was greate...not sure this needed a spoiler.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 am UTC

I don't think iRobot had any product placement in it, did it? If it did it must have been subliminal. But anyway, check out my new Converse® Retro™ 2004's.

I was happy to see Jack-Bauer's-dad/farmer-from-Babe play a cool hologrammatophone.

Also, did anyone else feel their intelligence was insulted by the fact that when these maccish robots went bad, a demonic Hallish red light came up?

"Ah, I see your problem here, buddy--someone's switched this robot to 'Evil'."
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:21 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Also, did anyone else feel their intelligence was insulted by the fact that when these maccish robots went bad, a demonic Hallish red light came up?

"Ah, I see your problem here, buddy--someone's switched this robot to 'Evil'."

When I'm in control of the robots, I'll make sure their Evil Mode is indicated by a soothing baby blue glow. That way everyone can say, "Aww, what an adorable and not at all threatening rob... EEEEE!!!! MY NECK!!!! GURGLE!"
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I don't think iRobot had any product placement in it, did it? If it did it must have been subliminal. But anyway, check out my new Converse® Retro™ 2004's. [/i]

I got a brand new hoveraudi, too..
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:All I know for certain is Alan Tudyk is sexy sexy sexy awesome.

Fix'd :P

Properly fixed :P

I liked I, Robot and am also an uncivilised swine. I'll be rectifying that soon.

Is been a while since I've seen the film though.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”