Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

zenten

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Two shows, both from the 80s (or possibly earlier).

One has this band, live action. Then this evil cartoon guy turns them into cartoons (and the line "We're cartoons!" is in the title sequence), and then they're stuck in a computer.

The other is a live action show about a stuntman saving people or solving crimes or something. I think I used to have a toy helicopter based on the show.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

#2 is probably The Fall Guy.

#1's Kidd Video.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

There was a show for children a while back.
I remember a guy crawling through a hollow log to this clearing in the forest.
I think he had a guitar and sang songs.
One song when the garbage guy came went something like "Jim jam, here comes the junk man..."
ImageImageImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

While back being... 90s? 80s? 50s?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

titanicdaze

Postby titanicdaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

A movie, probably for kids, where a cameo-had comes to life and says very creepy things. I think a lot of reverb was used, and there was a house with a white-painted log fence and it reminded me a lot of Anne of Green Gables. I'm pretty sure a housefire was involved somehow, and the housefire may have been a deus ex machina to help a little blond-haired kid run away from the haunted cameo head, which had either blonde-streaked brown hair or light brown hair, partly pulled back like when your bangs are almost grown out and you just wan to put the front of your hair back. A lace collar, and nothing below that. Also, I think the house was on a lake, and had a long hallway with the stairs all the way on the right of the shots it was in. I think the boy had a big sister who wasn't as in touch with the haunted cameo head thing as her brother, and was also much more into becoming a grown-up. I know that's very little to work with, but it's bugging the crap out of me. I think it would have been made in the late 1970s or early to late 1980s, probably made-for-TV. I ended up having to convince myself that the cameo really couldn't talk, because we learned in Health class that you need lungs to breathe, and you need to breathe to talk, and that's how I could get to sleep after seeing the movie.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Tau_Zero wrote:There was a show for children a while back.
One song when the garbage guy came went something like "Jim jam, here comes the junk man..."

That would probably be "Fred Penner's Place", which aired on Nickelodeon's "Nick Jr." time slot (early weekday mornings) back in the early 90s.
PRG

An important message for you:

rassac

Postby rassac » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Hope this hasn't been posted before, but it seemed fitting

Kids in the Hall - Citizen Kane?

Fix'd - ST

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Tau_Zero wrote:There was a show for children a while back.

That would probably be "Fred Penner's Place", which aired on Nickelodeon's "Nick Jr." time slot (early weekday mornings) back in the early 90s.

Holy shit yes. I cannot thank you enough. :D
ImageImageImageImage

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:08 am UTC

felstaff - is the third one the english patient?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Re: Need Help Remembering A Film!

Postby MotorToad » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I request: "Need Help Remembering A Film"

The third is about a WAR HERO. Possibly WWII. Some of it is set in the DESERT. He dies in a ROAD ACCIDENT on a winding COUNTRY LANE (this bit isn't in the desert). Two TEENAGERS are driving too fast, from the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. They may be on MOTORCYCLES. The war hero is definitely on a MOTORCYCLE. He has to SWERVE to avoid them, and he CRASHES his motorcycle. It is based, I think, on a TRUE STORY.

This is how Lawrence of Arabia died. (On a Brough Superior SS100.) I don't know the movie, but I think that's enough info to find it. :)

I saw one of those early morning insomnia movies a few years back that I quite enjoyed. It had Jason Priestly in it, which is surprising since i liked the movie. He was autistic or something and became a hitman. He did a very good job, IMO, of playing a person that really didn't give a shit about other people; not that he didn't care, but didn't even know to care. It may not have been the best movie ever, but it's the only time I can remember thinking Priestly acted well. I could imdb it, but it feels like it'd be cheating. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:48 am UTC

German Sausage wrote:felstaff - is the third one the english patient?
I remember watching it when I was about 7-8, so around 1992ish. It was also an old film, possibly as early as the 1960s. It was in Technicolor, or a variant thereof.
MotorToad wrote:This is how Lawrence of Arabia died. (On a Brough Superior SS100.) I don't know the movie, but I think that's enough info to find it. :)
Wellsir, that all adds up. Thanks for the info. Perhaps the POWERSEARCH on imdb will be the next step of my journey. Thanks for the help, all involved, I'm off to POWERSEARCH, even though I should be WORKING. Edit: Well goshdarn it, it might just be Lawrence of Arabia. I haven't seen that film in so long. Deserts and motorcycle accidents seem to be pivotal aspects of that film. I found it on Amazon for about $zero as well, so may make an investment.

Any ideas on the others? Particularly where young initiate has to fire an arrow into the eye of a revolving fish tapestry on the ceiling, using only a bowl of reflective water to aim...?

The other one I think was in Roman times. I found out from here that the act of reflecting sunlight from shields to blind the enemy is known as the Shield of Faith, used in the time of St. Paul. In this particular instance, they used the Shield of Faith to make the blinded enemy stumble into a ravine. In the desert. The line "the blinding light of a thousand suns" sounds quite familiar.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tenohsix

Postby tenohsix » Thu May 15, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:1960s-70s Mythical/Historical Fantasy. In Technicolor® so it looks brightly coloured like Jason and the Argonauts, or one of those sword-and-sandal adventures, with Cleopatra or something. Anyway, the content I remember:
There is an ALTAR of REFLECTIVE WATER in a GRAND, PALACIAL ROOM. On the CEILING, directly above the altar is a tapestry of a FISH, with a WIDE EYE. The tapestry REVOLVES.
An ARCHER is standing, looking down at the water. He has a BOW & ARROW and is POINTING THE ARROW UP AT THE FISH, but looking down. He has to pass a TEST, and SHOOT the fish in the EYE, using only the bowl of reflected water for guidance.
Something TERRIBLE happens if he misses. And the circular image containing the fish is revolving slowly.

That's all I remember. Has anyone seen it?

If I'm not mistaken, it's from the Hindi TV version they did of the Mahabharata in the late 80's.
In fact, after some searching, I think this is the scene you're referring to (the fish shows up at 1:04): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wIsyeG_axo

In this part, a bunch of princes have assembled to win the hand of Draupadi - whoever's able to string the bow and use it to shoot the fish in the eye gets the princess, hence the extreme drama about whether or not Arjuna will hit the target.

I used to watch this on VHS when I was little; this brings back good memories! Might have to see if I can get hold of it on DVD for the summer.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

some weird educational show that ROCKED

Postby mosc » Fri May 16, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

ok, so page back to like the 1980s. There's this TV series that they make us watch in school but instead of sucking, it's totally awesome. It's sort of sci-fi with a spookey villan and the kids have to solve some logic puzzle or another each week to progress. Lots of old school special effects to make it look "cool" in the 80s style. I think they're trying to rescue somebody or something... it was a long time ago. It was possibly british? BBC?

Anyway, haven't thought about this in years. Wonder if anybody knows what the hell I'm talking about.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Clumpy

Re: some weird educational show that ROCKED

Postby Clumpy » Sat May 17, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Hmm. I'm pretty sure it was either Square One or 3-2-1-Contact! but I'm not sure. Both great shows.

Kids shows these days suck. Bring back Science Court!

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I removed the content of this post, because it's probably better-suited to either this thread or somewhere similar.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat May 17, 2008 1:25 am UTC

Various educational programmes I remember from my childhood days...

Science:

Something involving an alien called "XP" (understandably hard to find with Google) who liked to wear orange, and his black female friend, whose name I can't remember.
A partly 3d-animated science programme involving some robots observing Earth, including a small, flying, male one and a tall, thin, female with a rotating body.
A show featuring a black presenter called Stella, who performed various experiments (she was not the only presenter).

Maths:

A programme set in a medieval court, with talking gargoyles.
A programme involving perhaps five different characters - the only episode I remember with any clarity involved these characters being transported to a maze of some sort, and learning about shapes, guided by a talking computer.
? A programme about some friends running a diner in space; I can't even remember whether this one was educational. It may possibly be the same as the one above.

And quite a few others, though it's the ones above that I remember with the fondest memories. If I could rediscover any of them, I'd be delighted; it makes me nostalgic just thinking about it. These programmes showed during roughly the mid 90s.

There were also a couple of other more "documentary-like" one-off programmes, featuring computer animation, that I dimly recall: one was about alien life and featured armoured insects, single-legged green beetles called "puds" and a red monster which ate them, and robotic life among other things. Another was about natural history, and featured a time machine, triceratops and a giant carnivorous bird (possibly Dromeornis?) from what I can remember. Yet another, with far less emphasis (if any) on compute animation, was possibly a series, and mentioned space and the number one googolplex among possibly other things. The guy who presented it rode a bike at at least one point.

I'd be equally delighted to discover any of these.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

I think what I am looking for is trivial and simple, because it aired in our post-Soviet TV channels in early 1990s as a program imported from the West. I am still not sure whether it was American or European, but the author probably spoke English (it was dubbed). I really was too little to remember much, or take notes, so I will give some details I vaguely remember.
First, it was a 'popular science' program. It showed various scientific achievements and insights in simple language and casual examples. Second, it was slightly religious - I mean, the main narrator would mention 'God and his created wonderful world' at the end of the program. Maybe it was a usual thing, and not religious at all, but for me, from former USSR it seem very unusual, because mentioning God in our society was equivalent to saying 'I believe thunder is caused by Zeus and illness is an evil spirit', which meant you need psychiatrist's help.
Four particular scenes -
1. Red blood cell form. It talks a lot about why cell has exactly the form it has, and how all other forms would be ineffective for its functioning. It shows a plastic (?) white cell model soaked in red liquid, and how its form helps it absorb as many nutrients as needed.
2. A chemical reaction, where a totally transparent liquid turns pitch black instantly. It also shows a clock which stops when liquid becomes non-transparent and alerts the experimenter. It talks about catalysts and byproducts and how light sensors and extra chemicals help to identify the exact beginning and ending of a reaction.
3. Wonderful show about views and facts, and how similar or even identical appearances mean and stand for different things. There is a black room with a simple frame on a rotating pillar, oriented so that you can see whole frame (as though you were looking at a window). When pillar makes a quarter of a turn, you can see only the side of a frame, then whole frame from the back, then side again, and we return to initial position. The thing is, the frame looks identical from both front and back, as well as left and right side. Moreover, the most astonishing thing is that you can't really tell, which way it is spinning - left, right or just swinging back and forth. (Try this out!) The only way to know is to look from above.
4. Human vision: eyes and brain. It tells about blind spot and how brain constructs the image which is absent. It continues with dangerous experiment. A volunteer is given a pair of special spectacles, which turn everything upside down. He is monitored for 2 weeks. At first he is very disoriented, but later adapts and acts normally. When those glasses are taken away, he again becomes disoriented, as his brain got accustomed to turned image. It takes 2 additional weeks to recover to normal vision again.
So, what was it? I really think that it was popular and it wouldn't be difficult for you to identify.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun May 18, 2008 12:17 am UTC

tenohsix wrote:
Felstaff wrote:1960s-70s Mythical/Historical Fantasy. In Technicolor® so it looks brightly coloured like Jason and the Argonauts, or one of those sword-and-sandal adventures, with Cleopatra or something. Anyway, the content I remember:
There is an ALTAR of REFLECTIVE WATER in a GRAND, PALACIAL ROOM. On the CEILING, directly above the altar is a tapestry of a FISH, with a WIDE EYE. The tapestry REVOLVES.
An ARCHER is standing, looking down at the water. He has a BOW & ARROW and is POINTING THE ARROW UP AT THE FISH, but looking down. He has to pass a TEST, and SHOOT the fish in the EYE, using only the bowl of reflected water for guidance.
Something TERRIBLE happens if he misses. And the circular image containing the fish is revolving slowly.

That's all I remember. Has anyone seen it?

If I'm not mistaken, it's from the Hindi TV version they did of the Mahabharata in the late 80's.
In fact, after some searching, I think this is the scene you're referring to (the fish shows up at 1:04): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wIsyeG_axo

In this part, a bunch of princes have assembled to win the hand of Draupadi - whoever's able to string the bow and use it to shoot the fish in the eye gets the princess, hence the extreme drama about whether or not Arjuna will hit the target.

I used to watch this on VHS when I was little; this brings back good memories! Might have to see if I can get hold of it on DVD for the summer.

That. Is. It.
This is exactly what I saw nineteen years ago, aged five, on television. My grandad explained to me what was going on, which is why I remember so vividly.

Please, come to my house, so I can cuddle you.

Srsly. I will hunt you down and administer cuddles if need be.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon May 19, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Doctor Who started out as an educational program on science and history.

I think that wins the thread.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon May 19, 2008 8:18 am UTC

This thread should have started and ended with Bill Nye. For shame on all of you.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 am UTC

I have fragmented memories of some primary school educational programming, the type shown at 2am on BBC2 which teachers would record on a poor-quality VHS tape. One that particularly comes to mind is "El Nombre", which somehow taught maths to 4yr olds through the use of a mouse-like hand-puppet dressed as Zorro and defending a Latin American village of rodents.

Then there was also Through the Dragon's Eye, another series involving dowsing rods, dragons and a crazy mural into a fantasy world.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon May 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

no no, this one had human characters. The villan was mostly shown through a TV on stage. It might have been Dr. Who for all I know, it was kind of in that style.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:32 am UTC

My personal favorites.

Square One TV.
Masters of the Maze (May not technically qualify as educational.)
Beakman's World
Bill Nye the Science Guy
3-2-1 Contact!

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon May 26, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:This thread should have started and ended with Mister Wizard. For shame on all of you.

Fixed.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Bill Nye was probably the reason that everyone in second grade though I was a genius.
I saw Discover Channel rebroadcasts of Mr. Wizard a few years ago, and he rocked! Even though the show is like 40 years old, those are some of the best explanations I have ever heard. Zenten just beat me to the point.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 26, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

mosc wrote:ok, so page back to like the 1980s. There's this TV series that they make us watch in school but instead of sucking, it's totally awesome. It's sort of sci-fi with a spookey villan and the kids have to solve some logic puzzle or another each week to progress. Lots of old school special effects to make it look "cool" in the 80s style. I think they're trying to rescue somebody or something... it was a long time ago. It was possibly british? BBC?

Anyway, haven't thought about this in years. Wonder if anybody knows what the hell I'm talking about.

no no, this one had human characters. The villan was mostly shown through a TV on stage. It might have been Dr. Who for all I know, it was kind of in that style.

In Through The Dragon's Eye, the villain was mainly shown through a TV/viewer in the Veetacore house. It was only in the last episode he was encountered. And it did have human characters. If you remember an orange guy with a magically growing/shrinking cricket bat, it's definitely this programme.

That said, your description also seems to fit Knightmare perfectly, but I don't recall that ever being shown in schools, it was usually on just after everyone got home. Sure you're not mistaken?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue May 27, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

cypherspace, you seem to know about this stuff so maybe you can help. I don't think it was either of those but you're in the right timeframe. It had a group of maybe 4 or 5 pre-teens as protagonists who were somehow trapped in this... game. The villian would show up on a TV screen or projection of some sort with a riddle or other problem statement and the kids would figure it out through the episode. It was the kind of thing where the teacher would pause it at the commercial brakes and go "now kids, how would YOU solve it?". Anyway, the episodes ALWAYS ended with these dramatic cliffhangers. Totally over the top. The stages were futuristic and often made heavy use of fog machines.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

cypherspace, you seem to know about this stuff so maybe you can help
Only cos I'm an 80's Brit :)

It's difficult. Knightmare only had the one kid in the game, and the others would guide them through. There is another show that rings some bells but I can't put my finger on it. Was it Virtual Reality stuff? Partly CG? Or all live-action?

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue May 27, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

I don't remember too well but I really don't remember "virtual reality" being a part of it. It was also very much educational. I don't really remember the puzzles but I think one was like knowing that a right triangle had a 90 degree angle or somesuch. The kids would like, have to figure out the riddle and move some stupid foam set piece or enter in some number to avoid being killed by poison gas or a closing room or somesuch. They'd move from set to set with... portals. I think they'd show the picture of the kid and then spin it around like it was 2-D.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 27, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Oh dear lord. I can't think of anything like that. I will ask around.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 28, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:I removed the content of this post, because it's probably better-suited to either this thread or somewhere similar.

In the future, use the report button.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu May 29, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I don't remember too well but I really don't remember "virtual reality" being a part of it. It was also very much educational. I don't really remember the puzzles but I think one was like knowing that a right triangle had a 90 degree angle or somesuch. The kids would like, have to figure out the riddle and move some stupid foam set piece or enter in some number to avoid being killed by poison gas or a closing room or somesuch. They'd move from set to set with... portals. I think they'd show the picture of the kid and then spin it around like it was 2-D.

Someone has suggested this.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu May 29, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I think that's it, I really do!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:06 am UTC

I remember this cartoon when I was a kid (I'm 19 now, so I'm guess '95-'97?) anhd there was like, a yellow family, and the mom had this weird purple hair that was really tall, and there was a boy who got in trouble a lot, and a daughter. I only remember one episode, and their dog had puppies and they were trying to save them from being made into a suit. I can't remember too much else. Ichecked the One Saturday Morning programming block on Wikipedia, but it wasn't there, and the same with Nickelodeon. But maybe it was on Nickkelodeon but I didn't check far back enough? Anyways, please help! It's been bugging me a lot! It was a weird show but really funny.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:03 am UTC

sje46 wrote:I remember this cartoon when I was a kid (I'm 19 now, so I'm guess '95-'97?) anhd there was like, a yellow family, and the mom had this weird purple hair that was really tall, and there was a boy who got in trouble a lot, and a daughter. I only remember one episode, and their dog had puppies and they were trying to save them from being made into a suit. I can't remember too much else. Ichecked the One Saturday Morning programming block on Wikipedia, but it wasn't there, and the same with Nickelodeon. But maybe it was on Nickkelodeon but I didn't check far back enough? Anyways, please help! It's been bugging me a lot! It was a weird show but really funny.

That is a awesome The Simpsons episode where Mr Burns does a great musical number
Spoiler:
(Dialog):
Mr Burns: You stay with me, you're the pick of the litter.
Lisa: Maybe we were wrong about Burns on this one...
Smithers: Are you sure you wanna go through with this, Sir,
you do have a very full wardrobe as it is...
Mr Burns: Yes...but not completely full. You see....

(Breaks into song)

...some men hunt for sport,
Others hunt for food.
The only thing I'm hunting for
Is an outfit that looks good.
See my vest, see my vest,
Made from real gorilla chest.
Feel this sweater, there's no better
Than authentic Irish Setter.
See this hat, 'twas my friend Catherine.
My evening wear, vampire bat.
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino.
Grizzly bear underwear,
Turtle necks I've got my share.
Beret of poodle on my noodle it shall rest
Try my red robin suit,
It comes one breast or two...
See my vest, See my vest, See my vest.
Like my loafers, former gophers,
It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
But a greyhound fur tuxedo would be best...
So let's prepare these dogs,
Kill two for matching clogs!
See my vest!
See me vest!
Oh, please, won't you see my veeeeeesst!

(Dialog)
Mr Burns: I really like the vest!
Smithers: I gathered that...
Lisa: (gasps) He's gonna make a tuxedo out of our puppies!
Bart: (hums the tune of the song) Na-na-na, na-na-na, na-na-naaa...
Lisa: Bart!
Bart: Sorry. You gotta admit, it's catchy.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 am UTC

I told a friend about this thread and he told me to ask about this show:
mention the one with the paleontologists and the dogs
and the time-portal
and the paleontologist song
and possibly a castle
and the lyric "...paleon paleon paleon paleon paleontologist..."
and dinosaurs
i tried to search google for it
with no luck
was on some kids tv show, possibly the in-between shows bit
I have no idea what he is talking about, maybe someone out in the wide wide world of web does?

EDIT: "and some of those details may or may not be correctly remembered" - rather helpful :P .
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 am UTC

random_kitty wrote:
sje46 wrote:I remember this cartoon when I was a kid (I'm 19 now, so I'm guess '95-'97?) anhd there was like, a yellow family, and the mom had this weird purple hair that was really tall, and there was a boy who got in trouble a lot, and a daughter. I only remember one episode, and their dog had puppies and they were trying to save them from being made into a suit. I can't remember too much else. Ichecked the One Saturday Morning programming block on Wikipedia, but it wasn't there, and the same with Nickelodeon. But maybe it was on Nickkelodeon but I didn't check far back enough? Anyways, please help! It's been bugging me a lot! It was a weird show but really funny.

That is a awesome The Simpsons episode where Mr Burns does a great musical number
Spoiler:
(Dialog):

(Breaks into song)

Others hunt for food.
Grizzly bear underwear,
Try my red robin suit,
See my vest!
See me vest!

(Dialog)

Oh that's it!

Do you happen to know where I can get a copy of it? I doubt that they would make DVDs out of obscure cartoons like this. Maybe they have some episodes on VHS? I'm surprised that you remembered the show. It seems like the sort of show that only lasts for a season at most . . .
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:52 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
random_kitty wrote:

Spoiler:
(Dialog):

(Breaks into song)

Others hunt for food.
Grizzly bear underwear,
Try my red robin suit,
See my vest!
See me vest!

(Dialog)

Oh that's it!

Do you happen to know where I can get a copy of it? I doubt that they would make DVDs out of obscure cartoons like this. Maybe they have some episodes on VHS? I'm surprised that you remembered the show. It seems like the sort of show that only lasts for a season at most . . .

...The Simpsons is not obscure. It's still on. It's probably the least obscure show you will ever find.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
sje46 wrote:
random_kitty wrote:

Spoiler:
(Dialog):

(Breaks into song)

Others hunt for food.
Grizzly bear underwear,
Try my red robin suit,
See my vest!
See me vest!

(Dialog)

Oh that's it!

...The Simpsons is not obscure. It's still on. It's probably the least obscure show you will ever find.

Well, obviously someone's exaggerating. :) American Idol is pretty big . . .

You remind me of my cousin's friend from England who got mad because I never heard of a show called "Faulty Towers", which is apparently pretty big in England but not so over here (in America, where I'm from). So maybe it's popular where-ever your from (Canada? Not Britain or Australia, because I don't remember any accents) or back in your day, but not anymore. I don't mean any offense, but I just don't sit in front of the TV all day and watch every episode of every show across the world. So I don't know if we have a generation or culture gap here, because I doubt any of my friends have heard of The Simsons. Please don't take any offense at what I'm saying,sir. The show just isn't big around here.

Is the Simsons really still on though? Can I find it on Nick at Nite or TV Land or something? I really want to watch it and see if it's still funny as an adult.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
sje46 wrote:...The Simpsons is not obscure. It's still on. It's probably the least obscure show you will ever find.

Well, obviously someone's exaggerating. :) American Idol is pretty big . . .

You remind me of my cousin's friend from England who got mad because I never heard of a show called "Faulty Towers", which is apparently pretty big in England but not so over here (in America, where I'm from).
I'm really having trouble telling if you are joking. The Simpsons is an American cartoon that has been running for about the last twenty years, and just recently had a big movie. I don't think Torvaun is exaggerating much at all by calling it the least obscure show you could find. You can definatly get it on DVD, the episode you asked about - Two Dozen and One Greyhounds - is from the Sixth Season.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”