Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sugarhyped

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

SANTARII wrote:
Diadem wrote:
SANTARII wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:Reports of his death are pretty much right on the mark.
He doesn't seem to stay dead for very long though...

In the past 2 series, in terms of actual deaths, Rory has died once, as has Amy, and the doctor has died twice, once if you don't count TIA death as it is possibly a trick or something.

In terms of temporary perceived (including real deaths), Rory, Amy AND the Doctor have each died 4 times in the past 2 series.

Huh? I don't remember all those. When were they?

Spoiler:
In terms of ACTUAL deaths, Rory died when he was erased from time in Cold Blood, Amy died when she was shot by Rory in The Pandorica Opens, The Doctor dies when he is erased from time in The Big Bang, and he also dies in The Impossible Astronaut, but that one might not count as we can't be sure that's actually what happened yet.

In terms of temporary perceived deaths, there are the ones above, and there's also Rory turning to dust in Amy's Choice, and The Doctor and Amy crashing in the same episode. I don't count the freezing to death in that episode as a death, since the Doctor is all like "Hey I know exactly what I'm doing : D".
It seems as if Amy dies in The Hungry Earth when she is sucked into the Earth at the beginning.
The Doctor appears to die when he emerges from the quick time travel hit by the Dalek and the past Doctor says that he is dead.
In Day Of The Moon, Amy and Rory are both shot. I don't count it as Rory dying in The Curse Of The Black Spot, because he is only hurt, and the Doctor SAYS to throw him into the water and says it's the only way to save him or something.
Then in The Doctor's Wife, Rory is shown ageing to death.

That's 4 for each in perceived deaths.

Wow I don't count a lot of those... But interesting to see another perspective. My reasoning may very well be subjective how I felt about the moment so I wont argue it.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

SANTARII wrote:
Diadem wrote:
SANTARII wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:Reports of his death are pretty much right on the mark.
He doesn't seem to stay dead for very long though...

In the past 2 series, in terms of actual deaths, Rory has died once, as has Amy, and the doctor has died twice, once if you don't count TIA death as it is possibly a trick or something.

In terms of temporary perceived (including real deaths), Rory, Amy AND the Doctor have each died 4 times in the past 2 series.

Huh? I don't remember all those. When were they?

Spoiler:
In terms of ACTUAL deaths, Rory died when he was erased from time in Cold Blood, Amy died when she was shot by Rory in The Pandorica Opens, The Doctor dies when he is erased from time in The Big Bang, and he also dies in The Impossible Astronaut, but that one might not count as we can't be sure that's actually what happened yet.

In terms of temporary perceived deaths, there are the ones above, and there's also Rory turning to dust in Amy's Choice, and The Doctor and Amy crashing in the same episode. I don't count the freezing to death in that episode as a death, since the Doctor is all like "Hey I know exactly what I'm doing : D".
It seems as if Amy dies in The Hungry Earth when she is sucked into the Earth at the beginning.
The Doctor appears to die when he emerges from the quick time travel hit by the Dalek and the past Doctor says that he is dead.
In Day Of The Moon, Amy and Rory are both shot. I don't count it as Rory dying in The Curse Of The Black Spot, because he is only hurt, and the Doctor SAYS to throw him into the water and says it's the only way to save him or something.
Then in The Doctor's Wife, Rory is shown ageing to death.

That's 4 for each in perceived deaths.

Spoiler:
"Only hurt" in Black Spot?!

He was clinically dead! His HEART STOPPED! That's more dead than any of the others you listed!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SANTARII

Postby SANTARII » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

Hmm, maybe I'm mis-remembering...
Ahh wait yes I remember.
I still don't think I'd count that as dead since his life was being sustained.
Insert witty comment.

Such a cliché.

mrface

Postby mrface » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:41 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:Just keep a pen in your hand and
Spoiler:
if marks randomly show up on your arm you know there is one with you.

Spoiler:
...That happened to me once. I'm, like, 99% percent sure I just accidentally marked myself when I was going down the stairs. But there's always that 1%...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
So what does it mean if you're fiddling idly with a pen, and a bunch of marks suddenly appear in the palm of your hand? 'Cause I've had that happen many times...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Spoiler:
So what does it mean if you're fiddling idly with a pen, and a bunch of marks suddenly appear in the palm of your hand? 'Cause I've had that happen many times...

It means there are millions of tiny Zoidbergs squirting ink at you.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

I knew it.

They even told me that the "woob woob woob" noise was just the pipes in the house.

Viae

Postby Viae » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:21 am UTC

No, that's the party downstairs. Sorry, were you not invited?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 am UTC

It'd be cool if the Doctor spent an entire episode investigating a weird noise, and it turned out to be dubstep.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:It'd be cool if the Doctor spent an entire episode investigating a weird noise, and it turned out to be dubstep.

Haha. That would be brilliant.

'I listen to dubstep now. Dubstep is cool.'

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

i know this is going off on a tangent, but when is someone going to write "The Doctor was the inspiration for the works of HPL" they've already done Dickens and Shakespeare, and 11 hasn't met any proper historical figures yet. Also I always thought that Vampires of Venice had a touch of Shadow over Innsmouth in it, or at least too much of a similarity to be a mere coincidence.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

The problem is that HPL is (a) far more obscure than either Dickens or Shakespeare and (b) suffering from the fact that his most known quality in his personal life was his crazy racism.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:The problem is that HPL is (a) far more obscure than either Dickens or Shakespeare and (b) suffering from the fact that his most known quality in his personal life was his crazy racism.

he was slightly racist, not crazy racist, i wouldn't say that is his best known attribute, they could easily leave that out in an episode about him. and yes he's more obscure, but i think the people that do know him would be a lot more excited to see him on the show than shakespeare or dickens fans were, not to mention the fact that his stories fit much better with Doctor Who than either of theirs.

(apologies to Vincent Van Gogh, i temporarily forgot 11 met you last year)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

A HPL storyline is always fun even if you don't know it's a HPL reference.
Ⓞⓞ◯

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

A Doctor Who HPL story could be fantastic. Also, is the new Torchwood worth watching?
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:A Doctor Who HPL story could be fantastic. Also, is the new Torchwood worth watching?

It comes out tomorrow. It seems (on wikipedia) they'll do the first 2 episodes on BBC 1 a few days later and then maybe not at all. I don't have STARZ or BBC 1 so this doesn't affect me but apologies to people in Britain.

It looks good from commercials and I'm happy for a summer show to be starting up. I wonder if there will be any Doctor Who crossover now that they've switched channels...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 am UTC

As far as I am aware, Starz is still BBC owned (like Dave) and so there is potential for crossover.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am UTC

I'm just going to leave this concentration of awesome here:

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

I don't like Rory that much.

He's supposed to be this bad ass last centurion with a hand cannon, yet he never acts like a centurion* or uses his hand cannon....

*How I would perceive one as.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
He lost the hand-cannon when the universe was rebooted.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
Spoiler:
He lost the hand-cannon when the universe was rebooted.

Spoiler:
Okay, so that explains a bit. He still doesn't act like a Centurion though** :(

*As before
** In my opinion.

Edit- So what I'm saying is he always seem to be too timid for my liking.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Except when someone kidnaps his wife.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:

Damn you that was a half hour lost to tv tropes.

So I finally watched torchwood.
Spoiler:
It seems miracle day is happening just to trap Jack. The word Torchwood was used to draw him in at the exact time people stopped dying and he became mortal. Okay... Sidebar: At some point Jack has to be beheaded to become the Face of Boe. That was what I was thinking when they were looking at the blown up guy. Not this season though...

One character I really disliked.
Spoiler:
Rex. What an asshole. He reminds me of Paterson Josephs character in Jekyll. Really obnoxious super-stereotypical american. I hope he dies for real. We pay bridge tolls in America, so I'm not sure what he was complaining about.

EDIT: I hope his character dies for real*.

Overall I liked the episode.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:So I finally watched torchwood.
Spoiler:
It seems miracle day is happening just to trap Jack. The word Torchwood was used to draw him in at the exact time people stopped dying and he became mortal. Okay... Sidebar: At some point Jack has to be beheaded to become the Face of Boe. That was what I was thinking when they were looking at the blown up guy. Not this season though...
One character I really disliked.
Spoiler:
Rex. What an asshole. He reminds me of Paterson Josephs character in Jekyll. Really obnoxious super-stereotypical american. I hope he dies for real. We pay bridge tolls in America, so I'm not sure what he was complaining about.

EDIT: I hope his character dies for real*.
Overall I liked the episode.

My main issue was with the
Spoiler:
pedophile who claims he's already been put to death and gets out of jail like two days later. That must be the district with the fastest courts and the shittiest prosecutor's office in the nowhere, that is STUPID. Just, what??

I don't know why Rex didn't bother me too much... maybe I think Torchwood deserves any flak it gets? I wasn't a huge fan of him, and I *definitely* see where you're coming from with the cardboard-American-stereotype thing, I just wasn't as bothered for some reason. *shrug*

So far it's not Children-of-Earth "WTF this can't be Torchwood it is actually GOOD O.O" quality* but it wasn't bad. Shall see where it goes.

*(i am still not over that it was like falling into bizarro world)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
Hold on, how do we know Jack isn't immortal any more? All that's shown to have happened is he's lost his super-fast healing. Everybody else is suddenly immortal, but they don't have super-fast healing either. Seems to me he's simply in the same boat as everyone else.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:56 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Hold on, how do we know Jack isn't immortal any more? All that's shown to have happened is he's lost his super-fast healing. Everybody else is suddenly immortal, but they don't have super-fast healing either. Seems to me he's simply in the same boat as everyone else.

The baddies in this
Spoiler:
seem to be trying to trap him and then kill him. Thats my perspective. The guy who blew himself up acted convinced that Jack would die.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Holy Budget, Torchwood!
The episode was watchable, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Spoiler:
The whole sequence of Rex heading to Wales was strange and seemed out of place. Like someone was trying to teach Americans some facts about Wales they really won't care about anyway.

Whoniverse continuity is so completely confusing. All the 4-5-6 stuff was erased from history by the cracks right? But events still played out that way for Jack, Gwen et al? And now 4-5-6 means something completely different (and allows rendition of foreign intelligence?)

WAT

EDIT: Oh, I also found Gwen's "I'm the only one who can help" line a bit blech. Not having access to every actor in the world forces it though. Martha and Mickey are out there somewhere blowing up aliens, and probably Sarah Jane's team too.

Oh and hey, the Australian girl from Dollhouse has a part in the next episode. Cool.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
Spoiler:
Whoniverse continuity is so completely confusing. All the 4-5-6 stuff was erased from history by the cracks right? But events still played out that way for Jack, Gwen et al? And now 4-5-6 means something completely different (and allows rendition of foreign intelligence?)

Spoiler:
If I had a dollar for every Doctor Who/Torchwood/etc episode where the existance of aliens is revealed to the people of Earth (or just England), completely and definitively... and people afterwards are still their usual aliens-don't-exist selves... I would quickly lose count of how much money I had.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Phill

Postby Phill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Spoiler:
If I had a dollar for every Doctor Who/Torchwood/etc episode where the existance of aliens is revealed to the people of Earth (or just England), completely and definitively... and people afterwards are still their usual aliens-don't-exist selves... I would quickly lose count of how much money I had.

Ah, no, you see, there's a good explanation for that.

Spoiler:
Clearly, Torchwood just go round and retcon EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD when an alien incident has occurred.

Seriously though, the whole retconning thing gets on my nerves. It wasn't really used much in this episode (although it did seem a bit pointless), the Torchwood episode where it really annoyed me was the episode where Gwen gets married and Torchwood retcon everyone at the wedding. But let's not mention series one and two. I think in general it was a good episode, even if Rex was a bit annoying, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's not Children of Earth, but still! :)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

The first episode of Torchwood this series has appeared on iPlayer. It says it was first broadcast on Thursday.

That's after it was broadcast in the US. What the hell?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

Yeah, it's co-produced with the Americans and it looks like they're getting the scoops this time

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Phill wrote:
phlip wrote:
Spoiler:

Ah, no, you see, there's a good explanation for that.

Spoiler:
Clearly, Torchwood just go round and retcon EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD when an alien incident has occurred.

Seriously though, the whole retconning thing gets on my nerves. It wasn't really used much in this episode (although it did seem a bit pointless), the Torchwood episode where it really annoyed me was the episode where Gwen gets married and Torchwood retcon everyone at the wedding. But let's not mention series one and two. I think in general it was a good episode, even if Rex was a bit annoying, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's not Children of Earth, but still! :)
Heh, worse, I wouldn't put that explanation past 'em, and
Spoiler:
as a general rule, the agents of Torchwood were the very last people I would want in control of that kind of thing. You just know they're going to skip people or forget someone's video or kill them with drug interactions or sleep with them first.

...Have I mentioned I never had any respect for Torchwood as an agency? XD

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Spoiler:
Ditto for Rex hate. I was kind of hoping he'd get beheaded by the helicopter blade and be a disembodied head for the rest of the series.

Seriously, how do you just walk out of a hospital? That was drawing pretty heavily on the DON'T WORRY I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT trope...
Edit: Also, this baby looks pretty happy, considering a gun was just fired a foot from hir head.
Attachments
Screenshot.png

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 am UTC

As all babies do, she enjoys watching her mother be badass.

Spoiler:
Maybe she'll grow up to be Amy Pond.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:06 am UTC

New Torchwood is pretty good.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 am UTC

Second new Torchwood episode:
Spoiler:
Still not near CoE good, still not awful. I still kind of yo-yoed about Rex... I think the problem (other than possible blind American stereotyping) is that they had to make him, well, worse than Torchwood. And Torchwood was pretty heavily invested in the flawed-characters thing to begin with. XD I can't help but enjoy some of his cutting them down to size, though, as much of a dick as he tends to be the rest of the time. XD

The whole antidote sequence was a bit... OTT. And I continue to doubt the pedophile B-plot... Two days and some fake crying and he's all rehabilitated in the eyes of the American public? The AMERICAN public? Is it just because I live in the South that this whole plot wrecks my suspension of disbelief? :P
Except for that plot, though, I'm finding it okay. Not hugely special as of yet, but good enough to see through.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

So, at the end of the first episode of this series of Torchwood, there's a black background with the words "This Season", followed by a bunch of clips from forthcoming episodes.

Now, by my reckoning, this season is currently summer. Summer finishes on the 23rd of september. Assuming they're broadcasting weekly, this means that, assuming they don't skip a week (which often happens - sports events, news, etc.), they can broadcast at most 10 episodes. Apparently, that's the exact number of episodes that they have lined up - so I sure as hell hope that they don't have to skip a week, otherwise the BBC will have lied to me, and I will be angry.

It seems to me that they could have avoided all this fuss by instead changing "This Season" to "This Series". I mean, that way, they impose no restriction on the dates in which they can broadcast episodes, right?

(Incidentally, yes, I do realise that "Season" means the same thing as "Series" in the States. And I don't object to it being referred to as such in American programmes. However, this is a British programme, produced primarily by a British company, written by British writers and starring British actors, a spin off of a long standing, and dearly loved British sci fi show. All I ask, the one tiny thing, is that they expend the effort of typing BOTH "This Season" and "This Series" into their computer, and then prepare two subtly different episodes for each region. Is that too much to ask?)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:
Ditto for Rex hate. I was kind of hoping he'd get beheaded by the helicopter blade and be a disembodied head for the rest of the series.

Seriously, how do you just walk out of a hospital? That was drawing pretty heavily on the DON'T WORRY I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT trope...
Edit: Also, this baby looks pretty happy, considering a gun was just fired a foot from hir head.
I think it's either a deaf baby, or they have been shooting guns or party poppers off next to it's head to get it used to that sort of thing.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote: ...<<rant>>...

(Incidentally, yes, I do realise that "Season" means the same thing as "Series" in the States. And I don't object to it being referred to as such in American programmes. However, this is a British programme, produced primarily by a British company, written by British writers and starring British actors, a spin off of a long standing, and dearly loved British sci fi show. All I ask, the one tiny thing, is that they expend the effort of typing BOTH "This Season" and "This Series" into their computer, and then prepare two subtly different episodes for each region. Is that too much to ask?)

I'm ignoring the main point of your rant, as an american I really don't care if they want to switch it so series. Just to be an asshole though, I want to point out that the bulk (over half) of writing and directing is going to be from americans. :mrgreen:

I do have to say I find the use of the word 'series' confusing at first. It's usually obvious from context though...

EDIT: Page Topper yay!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”