Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Not Bernard
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 pm UTC
Location: The Grim North, UK

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Not Bernard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Well, apart from the daft reboot button, to retain the status quo. I think it would have been quite interesting, the human race recovering after such terror. Might have made a decent episode at any rate.

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby william » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Okay, the episode was good up until the end where
Spoiler:
the Daleks were destroyed by the mere fact that it was the end of the episode. Seriously, what happened? It was like "So, we can't let you live because you would be horrible for the galaxy." *Daleks suddenly explode*
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm UTC
Location: Cleveland.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Tigerlion » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:26 am UTC

I thought the whole

Spoiler:
Donna turned into a half-time-lord by touching the Doctor's hand


to be a lame plot device.

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby william » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Tigion wrote:I thought the whole

Spoiler:
Donna turned into a half-time-lord by touching the Doctor's hand


to be a lame plot device.

Maybe, but it led to
Spoiler:
Donna not only not being a companion anymore, but being required to die if she ever hears about the Doctor again
, so I don't mind.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Tigion wrote:I thought the whole

Spoiler:
Donna turned into a half-time-lord by touching the Doctor's hand


to be a lame plot device.

I thought it was the first thing they'd ever done to make Donna an interesting or entertaining character.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm UTC
Location: Cleveland.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Tigerlion » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:10 am UTC

I don't mind the result of it, it was just the way it was executed.

Spoiler:
Hah! Poof! You're half Time-Lord.


But whatever.

User avatar
lesliesage
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby lesliesage » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 am UTC

If anyone in England wants to see David Tennant as Hamlet, Thursday August 21 in Stratford-upon-Avon, let me know, I've got a spare ticket. Patrick Stewart is in it too.

User avatar
Nebuduck
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

He came into the cheese shop I used to work in the other day (that cheese shop being in Stratford). Unfortunately I wasn't working then. Sucks. But all of Stratford is currently Tennant-spotting.

Pro-tip to Tennant-Spotters: Apparently he shops in Morrisons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:43 am UTC
Location: Mountain View

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Tigion wrote:I thought the whole

Spoiler:
Donna turned into a half-time-lord by touching the Doctor's hand


to be a lame plot device.

I thought it was the first thing they'd ever done to make Donna an interesting or entertaining character.


I still don't understand why so many people have a problem with Donna. She didn't have the unrequited love thing that hurt Martha's character. She wasn't all needy like Rose. She wasn't crippled by emotional problems like Ace. And I haven't seen any Mel episodes, but Donna surpases Peri if only by virtue of the fact that she doesn't have a fake American accent that makes me want to strangle her. IMO, Donna is at least the best companion we've had since Five travelled with Nyssa and Tegan.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Re: Doctor Who

Postby steewi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I didn't like Donna at first. I thought she was a terrible choice. But she really grew on me. I was rooting for her by the end. It was a lovely change not to have a lovesick companion. I personally wouldn't mind a male companion (who isn't in love with the Doctor), but I don't hold out much hope. They need a woman for ratings.

(Has the Doctor ever travelled with just a male companion? I know he's had them, but there's always a woman as well.)

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Gravitas Shortfall wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
Tigion wrote:I thought the whole

Spoiler:
Donna turned into a half-time-lord by touching the Doctor's hand


to be a lame plot device.

I thought it was the first thing they'd ever done to make Donna an interesting or entertaining character.


I still don't understand why so many people have a problem with Donna. She didn't have the unrequited love thing that hurt Martha's character. She wasn't all needy like Rose. She wasn't crippled by emotional problems like Ace. And I haven't seen any Mel episodes, but Donna surpases Peri if only by virtue of the fact that she doesn't have a fake American accent that makes me want to strangle her. IMO, Donna is at least the best companion we've had since Five travelled with Nyssa and Tegan.

As we argued somewhere further back in the XKCD Doctor Who Thread, Donna lacks eye-candy. Also, her constant cheek to anyone and everything gets grating to some of us.

Then they made Doctor-Donna, and suddenly all that cheek had brains, knowledge and skills to go with it! Out went annoying bitching, in came actually doing things!

And I really liked Martha. It was nice to see a companion who had her own real life rather than being basically useless before traveling with The Doctor.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby no-genius » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:He came into the cheese shop I used to work in the other day (that cheese shop being in Stratford). Unfortunately I wasn't working then. Sucks. But all of Stratford is currently Tennant-spotting.

Oh, did you have any cheese?

Nebuduck wrote:Pro-tip to Tennant-Spotters: Apparently he shops in Morrisons.


Ah well, he is Scottish. Many a miggle makes a muggle, and the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang aglay. (there's a little mouse with a flipchart, I believe it's their best laid plan.)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
Nebuduck
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

I just got rick rolled by Doctor Who... watching "father's day" on iplayer.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I just got rick rolled by Doctor Who... watching "father's day" on iplayer.

Yeah, that's exactly what most of us thought when we heard that song.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:47 am UTC

BUMP! I have long awaited the day when I could safely browse this thread.

Spoiler:
I have finally watched to the end of Season 4. I really like this show, except that it has a tendency to end its seasons poorly. The first one was alright. The second one was just kind of...random. Voidstuff? Does it make sense to say something defined as "absolutely, utterly, nothing" is made of something? The third one was better but still kind of deus ex machina. The fourth one was good until the Daleks getting wiped out bit, as has been stated. Also the whole "extra Doctor" felt wrong somehow. If I'd been writing it, I'd have had someone use the Reality Bomb to do something technobabbly, which would unmake the Medusa Cascade and the planets would revert to their original spots, while the Dalek fleet would be scattered. There you go. Planets are where they need to be, Daleks aren't universe-killing-army-level of threat, Daleks are able to be brought back without too much handwaving (oh look, a stray Dalek ship...), etc, etc. But I suppose it's easy to do this stuff from the sidelines. What happened to Donna was pretty brutal. I actually kind of liked her. When she called the Doctor on his callousness in the Pompeii episode, she got a lot of respect from me.

So yeah. The episodes are awesome, the season finales are even awesome, but how the seasons finales themselves end can be disappointing.

Favorite episode is hard to say. Silence in the Library, perhaps, but maybe just because it's recent it stands out. Season 3 finale was pretty great, as was Blink.

Anyway, sorry if this came off as a rant--this is my reaction to four seasons of Doctor Who being dumped onto the forum. Currently torrenting old series. I don't know where I'm going to put it though.


EDIT: Dear god. Looking at this file list...what am I getting into. Dear god.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Maseiken » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
I have finally watched to the end of Season 4. I really like this show, except that it has a tendency to end its seasons poorly. The first one was alright. The second one was just kind of...random. Voidstuff? Does it make sense to say something defined as "absolutely, utterly, nothing" is made of something? The third one was better but still kind of deus ex machina. The fourth one was good until the Daleks getting wiped out bit, as has been stated. Also the whole "extra Doctor" felt wrong somehow. If I'd been writing it, I'd have had someone use the Reality Bomb to do something technobabbly, which would unmake the Medusa Cascade and the planets would revert to their original spots, while the Dalek fleet would be scattered. There you go. Planets are where they need to be, Daleks aren't universe-killing-army-level of threat, Daleks are able to be brought back without too much handwaving (oh look, a stray Dalek ship...), etc, etc. But I suppose it's easy to do this stuff from the sidelines. What happened to Donna was pretty brutal. I actually kind of liked her. When she called the Doctor on his callousness in the Pompeii episode, she got a lot of respect from me.

So yeah. The episodes are awesome, the season finales are even awesome, but how the seasons finales themselves end can be disappointing.

Favorite episode is hard to say. Silence in the Library, perhaps, but maybe just because it's recent it stands out. Season 3 finale was pretty great, as was Blink.

Anyway, sorry if this came off as a rant--this is my reaction to four seasons of Doctor Who being dumped onto the forum. Currently torrenting old series. I don't know where I'm going to put it though.


FINALLY, the Season 4 Finale has shown in Australia, so I am officially up to date.

Spoiler:
First, It doesn't take long for Daleks to reorganise, That's why I liked the Cult of Skaro, they were extremly organised, it's just that there were barely any of them. a Plot centering around the "New Cult of Skaro" would be greatly appreciated, maybe their Dalekanium is on a different power system to the others?

One Question, why in god's name was the central control panel for ALL DALEKS in the Vault? And why did it look entirely unusable by Dalek hands? If they're truly only keeping Davros as a pet, why have they given him access to absolute control over all Daleks?


Aside from that, great ep, notonly is Donna gone, but she actually proved herself (As I believed she had been in the episodes leading up to the end)

Several plotlines tied up that didn't even need tying up, and on top of that, Mickey seems to be enroute to Torchwood (Possibly...)

It also made me intrigued as to the Sarah Jane Chronicles, which I had previously written off as worthless, anyone on here seen anything of that? Any good?
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, ok, maybe my solution wouldn't have worked, but here's the thing. I like the Daleks, dare I say love the Daleks. Great bad guys. Of course, they can't show up too often or they lose their feeling of power--once or twice a season is probably the limit. But when Dalek episodes end with the Daleks being "completely destroyed", it feels more and more contrived whenever they bring them back (as they inevitably will). So I"d prefer them to have used some kind of plot device that didn't entirely destroy them. Or left an opening.

As for the master control computer, I assumed it was something Davros had made so that he could regain control.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Maseiken » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Spoiler:
I guess... But it's not like the Supreme Dalek wouldn't notice what he was doing.

Plus, there can always be another Cult of Skaro, I liked the Cult of Skaro, it made proper sense. Although now that there's guns you can use on Daleks, that's a bit of letting the powers out of the bag.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Spoiler:
There have been guns that would kill Daleks since, well, "Dalek". And Jack seemed to think his guns in "Bad Wolf" would work on them, but I don't remember them actually killing any.

Hell, now that I'm watching the old serials, the First Doctor takes one down with mud and a carpet. I know that's probably twelve retcons ago, but still. They're not invincible. Just tough and angry.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Joeldi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Donna was actually my favourite companion of the new Series, not counting Jack. I especially liked her acting like the Doctor and wouldn't mind seeing more of that character, though I guess that's not going to happen

unless: There was a closeup of her hand in the last scene she was in and there was something really odd on her finger...is that just a normal type of ring that I'm no expert in, or could that be somehow relevant in the future?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Donna was actually my favourite companion of the new Series, not counting Jack. I especially liked her acting like the Doctor and wouldn't mind seeing more of that character, though I guess that's not going to happen

unless: There was a closeup of her hand in the last scene she was in and there was something really odd on her finger...is that just a normal type of ring that I'm no expert in, or could that be somehow relevant in the future?


I'll check later, but if it's the ring that was shown at the end of Last of the Time Lords I'm going to freak.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Ishindri
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:52 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Ishindri » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:53 am UTC

I noticed that too, but I'm pretty sure that it's just a ring with a big greyish gem on it. That's what I thought it was too, at first.
All is well. We are not like the others.

User avatar
sugarhyped
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 am UTC

I don't know if there is anything special about that ring but it is not the one at the end of the last of the. timelords.
spoilered for their size.
Spoiler:
Image
Image



edit: yeah I'm not good at the uploading images that are screenshots from my computer but whatever.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Ok, good. Because seriously. Master-Donna?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Maseiken » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:08 am UTC

Yeah, that would be silly.

No, seeing as if she even hears someone mention The Doctor she runs the risk of exploding, I think she's finished.

(Side-Note, what if she has to visit a normal doctor?)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:Yeah, that would be silly.

No, seeing as if she even hears someone mention The Doctor she runs the risk of exploding, I think she's finished.

(Side-Note, what if she has to visit a normal doctor?)


I kind of assumed he might have been exaggerating. Although I really doubt that you can live on a planet that just got all that stuff done to it and never find out any of it happening. Maybe she's just not allowed to remember her role in events or something. Because otherwise she's as good as dead.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
sugarhyped
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

I think she'll naturally associate the word doctor with normal doctors and not him because he's forgotten. although I think she probably will die because of all the stuff that happens in London. Not that we will find out about it.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Re: Doctor Who

Postby steewi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:It also made me intrigued as to the Sarah Jane Chronicles, which I had previously written off as worthless, anyone on here seen anything of that? Any good?


It's good for a kids' show - the budget's lower and there're a few annoyances, but it's pretty good, and quite watchable for an adult.

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Joeldi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:27 am UTC

Someone on Youtube has started uploading all the Hartnell era episodes. It's actually more entertaining in a "besides how hilariously dated eveything is" way than I expected. I think I'll at least watch through until the end of The Daleks serial. ... ...I keep finding the girl who played Susan attractive. interestingg
Last edited by Joeldi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Doctor Who

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:52 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Then they made Doctor-Donna, and suddenly all that cheek had brains, knowledge and skills to go with it! Out went annoying bitching, in came actually doing things!


Now if they'd only do something like that with the kid Tennant plays, I might actually seriously watch this show for the first time since S2 began.

I do mean this. Set Torchwood in a high school basement, and how much would you really have to change? The whole of RTD's era, the Doctor's been a self-indulgent teenager: the "highest authority", lonely and alone, because his race is gone, and in the infinity of space and time, no other will ever measure up. Which means he gets to erase Donna's memories, and condemn the Family of Blood to eternal damnnation, and derail the course of history by getting Harriet Jones sacked, and take the credit for things he had absolutely no hand in doing in 'Planet of the Ood'. It's all justified, because he's right and brilliant and alone and in pain. And everybody loves him for it, but he's still alone.

It's a teenage fantasy, and not even a well-executed one. And as for being good sci-fi-- go through the episodes, and see how many are on Earth, or on Earth ships, or on Earth colonies. After that, go through and see how many are set in England. After that, try London. It goes just a little too far for the old "It's just a children's show" to excuse it, IMO.

And as for Tennant.... It's no shock to me he's doing Hamlet. I just wish he'd stop playing Hamlet, someday, somewhere, even if it's just for a minute. Even a second or two could redeem so much.

User avatar
Yuri2356
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I think she'll naturally associate the word doctor with normal doctors and not him because he's forgotten. although I think she probably will die because of all the stuff that happens in London. Not that we will find out about it.

She already ignored three invasions so far. Her credentials seem legit.

User avatar
sugarhyped
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

^ I guess so, she can be pretty self-involved. I'm going to miss her.
@ameretrifle. The doctor did not want to erase Donna's memory. You say it like it is a treat that he lost his friend. He had to make her forget him otherwise she would die. I don't get how that is childish. Honestly I'm not a fan of Family of Blood either, but I think it was okay for him to do something about them trying to kill him and killing others on the way to him.
He does spend a lot of time on Earth, but that does not mean it is not science fiction. Plenty of sci-fi shows take place on Earth.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Which means he gets to erase Donna's memories, and condemn the Family of Blood to eternal damnnation, and derail the course of history by getting Harriet Jones sacked, and take the credit for things he had absolutely no hand in doing in 'Planet of the Ood'. It's all justified, because he's right and brilliant and alone and in pain. And everybody loves him for it, but he's still alone.


Hrm? Many of those actions aren't portrayed as exactly good. The Harriet Jones thing led directly to the Master's rise, Donna's memory wipe saved her life, the Family of Blood event was portrayed as vengeance, and I'll leave the Ood example unaddressed because I can't remember things well enough to argue it. The point of those wasn't that the Doctor can go above conventional morality; the point was to show that he isn't perfect.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Doctor Who

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:15 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:@ameretrifle. The doctor did not want to erase Donna's memory. You say it like it is a treat that he lost his friend. He had to make her forget him otherwise she would die. I don't get how that is childish.

Yes, I know he didn't want to. I don't think I implied it was like a treat, and if I did, I do apologise; what I mean is, they had to do a hell of a lot of work to get it to where invading her mind and taking her memories was The Only Choice. I'm not saying they didn't justify it, I'm saying they put a suspicious amount of work into justifying it, which makes me think they must have wanted to do that scene, and I find that a bit disturbing. The fact that they have to keep changing companions, I think, has caused them to put a disturbing amount of emphasis on the fact that he is Alone, and perenially so, and therefore accountable, in the end, to no one.

It wasn't what he did that was childish; it's the way it continued the same old premise, that he's got to be alone, that he can never have an equal (and hardly even a friend), because he's just that special, and in all of time and space, there's nothing and no one that can ever measure up. He's got to be The Lonely God, or else he's not interesting enough to base a series around. Being Just That Special, I'm saying, is the adolescent fantasy.

Honestly I'm not a fan of Family of Blood either, but I think it was okay for him to do something about them trying to kill him and killing others on the way to him.
Damn right. So you shoot them or jail them until they die. Which they're gonna do in like two weeks anyway; real inconvenience there. Making certain that they don't die, and imprisoning them in unpleasant situations that will last somewhere this side of forever, solely out of revenge and spite, is not something I think should be let slide (by the show) with a "Ooh, he was being a bit morally ambiguous there. Next episode now!" There's fates worse than death, in my opinion.

He does spend a lot of time on Earth, but that does not mean it is not science fiction. Plenty of sci-fi shows take place on Earth.

True, it's still sci-fi. But he's got a machine that lets him travel through all of time and space, and all the promos still emphasise this fact. Which just means it's getting to be damn unimaginative sci-fi. I mean, for god's sake, why not at least Perth or Moscow one in a while? Kobe or Beijing or Jakarta? Dallas or Barbados or Alberta. Not even just Earth, the same three cities half the time. Isn't that just a little bit sad?

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Which means he gets to erase Donna's memories, and condemn the Family of Blood to eternal damnnation, and derail the course of history by getting Harriet Jones sacked, and take the credit for things he had absolutely no hand in doing in 'Planet of the Ood'. It's all justified, because he's right and brilliant and alone and in pain. And everybody loves him for it, but he's still alone.


Hrm? Many of those actions aren't portrayed as exactly good. The Harriet Jones thing led directly to the Master's rise, Donna's memory wipe saved her life, the Family of Blood event was portrayed as vengeance, and I'll leave the Ood example unaddressed because I can't remember things well enough to argue it. The point of those wasn't that the Doctor can go above conventional morality; the point was to show that he isn't perfect.


True. But couldn't there be consequences? Just a couple? The Harriet Jones thing leads to the Master's rise, yes, and that's the reason I adored The Sound of Drums: there's consequences, FINALLY, and he's not alone, for the first time in two years. ALL of this is, of course, promptly erased from history, and he sure doesn't seem to learn anything from it. If you've got any evidence otherwise, show it to me, I'm honestly glad to see it. It's too early to tell with Donna, but the vengeance in Family of Blood is never, ever mentioned, not ever again. No remorse, no one even knows about it, it's happened and it's forgotten, because no one can hold him accountable, not for anything. If no one ever calls him on anything, and no one even has the authority to, doesn't that by definition mean he's perfectly free to go above conventional morality? And am I hallucinating, or didn't he say it himself? "If you're looking for a higher authority, there isn't one." That disturbs the living hell out of me.

Character flaws are one thing. To me, "vengeance" on the Family of Blood scale goes waaay the hell beyond the level of "interesting character flaw".

I realize I take this far too seriously. I also realize I'm not likely to change anyone's mind. It's just that Tennant hops around the screen like a squirrel in a meth lab, and after Eccleston and the rest of the DW legacy, I resent the living hell out of him for that. But that's just me. :) Apologies.

User avatar
sugarhyped
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

^ You actually do make some good points. I have seen some of the old series, but that was after I started watching the new ones, so to me it is natural that the Doctor is a lonely traveler who is somewhat above everyone.
Part of the reason why I didn't like Family of Blood was because first he was trying to spare them and then he condemns them to eternal hell basically. So yeah he does need to be held accountable and find some middle ground.
I do wish they could keep a companion and loved Donna because she was his friend and in my opinion an equal.
I don't think any of those problems have to do with Tennant though. I think he is a great actor.
My one favorite episode (after Blink maybe) was Midnight. I think one of the things I liked about it, other than it was a great story about mob mentality, was that the Doctor was not all powerful. You could definitely tell he believed he was better (because he's clever), but in the end he had to be saved. I really do want Doctor Who to head more that way.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Doctor Who

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

that's one of the reasons I was so disappointed with the portrayal of the Shadow proclamation in the show, Since the beginning of the new series it's been built up to be some sort of ultimate governing agency, The Eccleston doctor was able to use it's name like soem sort of spell or something. Here it seemed, was one organization that the Doctor would yield to. but then they actually show it int he show and he just blows past them, only stopping long enough to let them (and the audience) know how little power the actually have, leaving us to wonder why so many times the Doctor has been able to compel hostile aliens with not much more than the name, Shadow Proclamation.

Hopefully, with Moffat taking the wheel, we'll see a doctor with consequences.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Skateside
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm UTC
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Skateside » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

When it comes to the Shadow Proclamation, I always got the impression that they were very bureaucratic. They seemed to have defined the rules of engagement and would stand against anyone who dared go against those rules. When the Doctor used their name, it seemed to give him the edge over any situation, as if simply appearing to be an agent of the Shadow Proclamation was enough to scare some of the more terrifying creatures throughout time. I'll admit, finding out that it's nothing but 3 people in a large room was very disappointing. I was hoping for huge council chambers with representatives from loads of worlds, much like in Star Wars, but without those annoying floating platforms.

Although, I never got my head around why they existed when the Time Lords used to fulfill a very similar role. I guess the Shadow Proclamation simply filled the void the Time Lords left?
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Various Varieties » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Personally I'd always assumed (based on, er, the definition of the word "proclamation") that the Shadow Proclamation referred to a major event, like a speech or treaty. So it was a bit disappointing when it turned out to be an organisation.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

I guess. I do get the idea that the Doctor always has to be this Lonely God--now that I think of it, this may be why I'm so eager to see the Master back. Or Jenny, even. I would definitely like to see more of her, wink wink nudge nudge. Say no more. But yeah, I see where he's coming from now, and I kind of agree. I still enjoy the show, but "I enjoy the show" and "this show has room for improvement" are not contradictory.

I wonder how Stephen Moffat will handle it. Oh, and does anyone know if he's doing the upcoming specials, or if that is still RTD?
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Various Varieties
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Various Varieties » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I wonder how Stephen Moffat will handle it. Oh, and does anyone know if he's doing the upcoming specials, or if that is still RTD?

RTD will still be producer for them. According to Wikipedia he will be writing two of the specials and co-writing the other two.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests