Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rmsgrey

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 am UTC

Bad news: the "next time" trailer has the kids.

On the bright side, there's a fair chance that they won't be back for the finale...

On the even brighter side, it's going to be the Neil Gaiman episode next time, so it should be good :)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun May 05, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Did the next episode trailer feature Iron Man as a Cyber Man?

The world is fucked :)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 06, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Guys. This is the Neil Gaiman episode. You have nothing to worry about.

Oh, also, last nights ep was much better than expected. Lemme look at all the episodes Gatiss has written (I know he was there since the Charles Dickens one.) I have a feeling he's done all the "Not especially epic, but quietly entertaining" ones.

EDIT: Kinda. I enjoyed half of his eps, and was luke-warm, disappointed by the other half.

He also wrote Clone, the worst sit-com I've ever seen.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Guys. This is the Neil Gaiman episode. You have nothing to worry about.

But... but... the last Neil Gaiman episode made me cry. :cry:
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Guys. This is the Neil Gaiman episode. You have nothing to worry about.

Oh, also, last nights ep was much better than expected. Lemme look at all the episodes Gatiss has written (I know he was there since the Charles Dickens one.) I have a feeling he's done all the "Not especially epic, but quietly entertaining" ones.

EDIT: Kinda. I enjoyed half of his eps, and was luke-warm, disappointed by the other half.

He also wrote Clone, the worst sit-com I've ever seen.

Meh. Gatiss wrote what is by far the worst episode of the 1st season (of the 2005 series). He also wrote the worst episode of the 2nd season. For some inexplicable reason they brought him back in season 5, where he bestowed upon us the horror of the power-ranger-daleks. Actually, to be fair, the rest of that episode was pretty awesome, and his later episodes are all ok as well, so Gatiss' writing does seem to have improved in the 2 years he was absent from the show.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon May 06, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I really hope the children don't get on the Tardis. I can see no way it could possibly be not annoying.

Spoiler:
The preview showed them at "the largest theme park in the universe" or somesuch so I'm pretty sure they're coming along.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I really hope the children don't get on the Tardis. I can see no way it could possibly be not annoying.

Spoiler:
The preview showed them at "the largest theme park in the universe" or somesuch so I'm pretty sure they're coming along.

Spoiler:
The preview doesn't show them not dying a horrible death though, so there is still hope.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
No idea why people are so grumpy about the children being in next week's episode. Gaiman's writing it, I'm sure it'll be all good. Plus Iron Man 3 just showed you can have kids tagging along and still have them as decent characters.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Apparently Gaiman wants to "make Cybermen scary again". This is going to be awesome.
Diadem wrote:Meh. Gatiss wrote what is by far the worst episode of the 1st season (of the 2005 series). He also wrote the worst episode of the 2nd season. For some inexplicable reason they brought him back in season 5, where he bestowed upon us the horror of the power-ranger-daleks. Actually, to be fair, the rest of that episode was pretty awesome, and his later episodes are all ok as well, so Gatiss' writing does seem to have improved in the 2 years he was absent from the show.

Hey, I liked The Unquiet Dead and The Idiot's Lantern. Sort of.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Re:Clara, my pet insane theory is that she's the Twelfth Doctor, who accidentally got regenerated in multiple places. Don't know how, might be why she's "impossible".
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:
Spoiler:
No idea why people are so grumpy about the children being in next week's episode. Gaiman's writing it, I'm sure it'll be all good. Plus Iron Man 3 just showed you can have kids tagging along and still have them as decent characters.

"Wow, that show was greatly improved by having some of the characters as children", said nobody ever.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Still not getting the hate, sorry.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 am UTC

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

Apparently Gaiman wants to "make Cybermen scary again". This is going to be awesome.

Yeah, they're sticking them much more in the uncanny valley as well which should help.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

So, this is happening.... (50th episode spoilers)

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

Spoiler:
Moffat is writing in a new 9th doctor, making Matt Smith the 12th doctor. I am trying to not to think that this is a way for him to definitely get to write the end of the show if there are only going to be 13 doctors.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Angua wrote:So, this is happening.... (50th episode spoilers)

Spoiler:
Moffat is writing in a new 9th doctor, making Matt Smith the 12th doctor. I am trying to not to think that this is a way for him to definitely get to write the end of the show if there are only going to be 13 doctors.

Yeah, that's been out there for a while - apparently he wanted to get Ecclestone but couldn't.

I'm a little disappointed that they don't seem to be using the surviving older Doctors though...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Yeah, but do they really need three doctors? Shoe-horning another one in for an anniversary episode seems ridiculous.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 10, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Yeah, but do they really need three doctors? Shoe-horning another one in for an anniversary episode seems ridiculous.

If they're ever going to tell the story of the Last Great Time War, now seems like as good a time as any...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

I hope he'll be called the 8.5th doctor or something... It'd be dumb to shuffle everybody around.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Are the doctors in the show actually ever referred to by number? Or is that just counting by fans?

Anyway they could easy timey-wimey in a new doctor. Make him a regeneration from a timeline that never happened, or something like that.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

The first episode with the Eleventh Doctor is called "The Eleventh Hour". During the episode, they show each and every incarnation of The Doctor when he confronts the Atraxi.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 10, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Are the doctors in the show actually ever referred to by number? Or is that just counting by fans?

Anyway they could easy timey-wimey in a new doctor. Make him a regeneration from a timeline that never happened, or something like that.

There was that bit at the end of the Wedding of River Song - about the fields of Trenzalore and the fall of the eleventh, which may or may not have been referring to the Doctor.

Aside from that, any references would have been by the Doctor himself, lacking a more authoritative source, and if he'd forgotten an entire regeneration somewhere, his official count would have been off anyway...

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat May 11, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
Surely if Paul McGann were willing he'd be a much better bet. No need for re-numbering, he's already almost implied to have regenerated into Ecclestone at the end of the time War (in Rose, Ecclestone sees himself in a mirror for what seems like the first time; he remarks something to the effect of "Could be worse") And because the vast majority of his time was off-screen, no reason to explain any ageing. Was he even approached? Hell it'd make more sense to just call Hurt 8 and say he's what Old McGann will/would look like. [/rant]
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 am UTC

On the one hand, there is actually precedent for this: The Shalka Doctor, who was also supposed to be Doctor Number Nine but isn't anymore for some reason. (That page also contains other references to the number of doctors that have come up.)

But I agree, this is pretty lame. It might have been slightly less lame if it didn't involve making Eccleston the 10th doctor, and much less lame if they'd just gotten McGann, but as it is it's just fraking with what precious little continuity exists.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Unless they timey-wimey him out of having ever existed at the end it will be pretty lame, I agree. I know it's doctor who, but a bit more continuity would be nice sometimes. Stephen Moffat is a pretty great storyteller, but he does seem to make a mess of things sometimes.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Angua wrote:So, this is happening.... (50th episode spoilers)

Spoiler:

They're almost certainly NOT doing that. It's not from a reliable source.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Yeah, in the latest episode (Nightmare in Silver) the Cyber-Planner says that the Doctor's brain has had "ten complete rejigs". Eleven Doctors, ten regeneration. If Moffat was writing in another doctor then you'd expect that he'd be making sure stuff was consistent with that now.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
SlyReaper wrote:I really hope the children don't get on the Tardis. I can see no way it could possibly be not annoying.

Called it.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

^
Spoiler:
I really don't think they were anywhere near as annoying as they could've been.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They ended up as nothing more than McGuffins that needed rescuing. That's annoying.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
They ended up as nothing more than McGuffins that needed rescuing. That's annoying.

Spoiler:
Well, like I said, they weren't as annoying as they could've been. I didn't expect them to have a useful role in the plot, so I only focused on their personalities, which weren't bad for "kid characters".
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 12, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Those kids were nothing. Remember Adric? Kid character who only ever acted irrationally, was a general jerk, and did the complete opposite of what he was told. Easily the most annoying companion in the history of the series.

Wesley Crusher was downright likable compared to Adric. He was like Space: 1999 annoying.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

That was delightful! Even better than The Doctor's Wife.

Except I spent a good fraction of the time wondering, "Is that Warwick Davis? No, that can't be Warwick Davis, it's silly to think there's only one famous short British actor out there." But it was Warwick Davis!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun May 12, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

Is it just me or did what I just watch make absolutely no sense at all.

The park was closed down because of cybermen attacks, but no one knew there were cybermen. The emperor as just running around incognito and no one noticed (at least they lampshaded that in the end). The emperor is in contact with his flag ship the entire time, yet never once calls down a few competent soldiers to deal with the crises. Heck, why not just evacuate them all at the very first sign of trouble and then blow up the planet. Heck, even the doctor didn't care about blowing up planets, it turns out, just about the people on them. So why didn't he push everyone into the tardis and activate the device?

Also, as a chess player, all that stupidity about chess really annoyed me. And finally the whole ending where they managed to pull in not just one, not two, but three deus ex machinas.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:The emperor is in contact with his flag ship the entire time, yet never once calls down a few competent soldiers to deal with the crises. Heck, why not just evacuate them all at the very first sign of trouble and then blow up the planet.
Spoiler:
Easy: he was only in contact with his flagship because the bomb signaled it upon activation. And he was almost ready to die rather than activate the bomb and go back to being emperor.

So why didn't he push everyone into the tardis and activate the device?
You could exactly ask that question about a whole lot of episodes.

Also, as a chess player, all that stupidity about chess really annoyed me.
...Yeah, you really wouldn't need three million minds to compute all the possibilities available within three moves on a partially-emptied board, I would think.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 13, 2013 4:54 am UTC

As far as Doctor Who deus ex machina go, the ones in this episode were almost believable. I was actually impressed by the LACK of stupid bullshit in this episode compared to some.

Also, as a chess player, all that stupidity about chess really annoyed me.
...Yeah, you really wouldn't need three million minds to compute all the possibilities available within three moves on a partially-emptied board, I would think.

...OK, but that's a good point. ...it was Space Chess...?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Is it just me or did what I just watch make absolutely no sense at all.

The park was closed down because of cybermen attacks, but no one knew there were cybermen. The emperor as just running around incognito and no one noticed (at least they lampshaded that in the end). The emperor is in contact with his flag ship the entire time, yet never once calls down a few competent soldiers to deal with the crises. Heck, why not just evacuate them all at the very first sign of trouble and then blow up the planet. Heck, even the doctor didn't care about blowing up planets, it turns out, just about the people on them. So why didn't he push everyone into the tardis and activate the device?

Also, as a chess player, all that stupidity about chess really annoyed me. And finally the whole ending where they managed to pull in not just one, not two, but three deus ex machinas.

Spoiler:
I think one of the problems was that the doctor and the children were part cybermen at that point so they couldn't be evacuated from the planet until he'd saved them.
GNU Terry Pratchett

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 am UTC

WARNING TO ALL:

BBC America's distribution service has fucked up royally and sent out some Series7Pt2 Blu Ray box set pre-orders early. This means that there are people out there that have seen the finale already and some of them are already being dicks and spreading spoilers around.

Refrain from tweeting about Doctor Who if you can, last night there was a bot replying to people mentioning Who telling them spoilers (it's had it's account suspended for the moment but it could get a new one at any time).

Beware of Wikipedia, people have already been spoiled by rogue edits.

Also, if your first thought is to go find a leak on filesharing sites then also beware, there are several uploads about that are simply re-named "Nightmare in Silver" AVIs and at least one that claims to be the finale and is instead a gay porn film.

You have all been warned.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 am UTC

I suppose this means it's available for download somewhere, too.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I suppose this means it's available for download somewhere, too.

As of last night it wasn't. It seems that very few people have got the boxset early so it getting leaked depends on if someone in that group:

a) knows how to rip an episode from a Blu Ray
b) has the balls to upload it knowing that he/she is one of a very small group of people that the BBC is aware of having it

Someone on tumblr last night said he had it and wouldn't rip it but his younger brother MAY do so today or tomorrow "if he is feeling charitable".

I bet it happens but there are already a ton of fake leaks out and about.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”