Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sanguine

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sanguine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

sunami wrote:
Spoiler:
So why can Amy touch her younger self and the Doctor touch his 12 minutes older self GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Spoiler:
The Amys are from different timelines. Not sure about the screwdriver, though.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:
Spoiler:
The end did make me laugh "An Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express... IN SPACE." I think it will be the inexpicably cockney Liz Ten for the Christmas episode.

Perhaps this link wasn't consciously intended when The Beast Below was written and cast, but I couldn't help but think of Liz Ten's cockney accent as a reference to those tabloid reports from a few years ago that said that SCIENTISTS!!! had ANALYSED!!! Elizabeth II's Christmas speeches and found that over the past 50 years her accent has gradually become less RP and more cockney. (Here are two of the first Google search results about it. Yeah, one of those is the Mail. Sorry.) The assumption being that if that trend continues, by the time of The Beast Below you'd end up with a monarch that speaks like Liz Ten.

I doubt it was intended, Dr Who never seems to pay attention to accents, like van Gogh being Scottish. Admittedly they did reference the accent in that, but still...

nickiyoung

Postby nickiyoung » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I greatly prefer Matt Smith to Tennant and Eccleston. They didn't really feel like the older doctors, especially not Tennant. But Smith feels a great deal like the more eccentric original doctors, say Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

Big Bang episodes where actually much more enjoyable for me with Matt Smith as the Doc, (might be because it was more focused on the other characters) but I still can't get into the character as easy as before. With the other doctors to me anyway, they felt like they really did have a past, but not Matt Smiths. Just personal preference I guess.

I agree the eccentricity is there, but if I were faced with this latest Doctor I'm not sure I'd feel as secure as I would with the others who seemed a lot more knowledgeable.

Ended

Postby Ended » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I've probably forgotten something from last episode, but why was the Pandorica so easy to open (just point a sonic screwdriver at it)? Didn't the Doctor have a lot of trouble trying to open it last episode?
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Ended wrote:
Spoiler:
I've probably forgotten something from last episode, but why was the Pandorica so easy to open (just point a sonic screwdriver at it)? Didn't the Doctor have a lot of trouble trying to open it last episode?

Spoiler:
i don't think he was trying to open it in the last episode, but figuring out what's in it. i remember that he said pandorica is easy to open from the outside.

Ended

Postby Ended » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:
Spoiler:
i don't think he was trying to open it in the last episode, but figuring out what's in it. i remember that he said pandorica is easy to open from the outside.

Spoiler:
Ah yes, you're quite right ("anyone can break into a prison, but I'd rather know what I'm going to find first").
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Sums up the whole episode:
Spoiler:

Overall, it was just very ¯\(O_o)/¯. I'll have to watch it a few more times before passing judgment.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:33 am UTC

Spoiler:
also, didn't it take several hours to open the box in the first part, but it just opened up in the second?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
Spoiler:
also, didn't it take several hours to open the box in the first part, but it just opened up in the second?

Spoiler:
Well...remember that much of the first part was A Trap. I see several interpretations:
-The Alliance was holding back and waiting to open it until they were ready to face the Doctor together.
-The Pandorica had to initialize or "boot up" somehow--hence 'The Pandorica is ready...for you'
-The Pandorica was set to open at a particular time, at which point the Alliance showed up. The Doctor showed up a mite early, but really just on schedule.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
It was opening from the inside in the first part. In the second part it was opening from the outside.
The Doctor even said it's easy to get in to a prison from the outside but much harder from the inside.
He thought there was a being stained with the blood of a million galaxies within it, hence not being too eager to open it himself.
Ⓞⓞ◯

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 am UTC

sunami wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, you're not supposed to go back into your own timeline (hence the screwdrivers making a sparks-fly&smoke), so you'd need someone to help you escape the pandorica, supposing you had a method at all, and nobody seemed to suspect rory would still be knocking about for a while

Spoiler:
So why can Amy touch her younger self and the Doctor touch his 12 minutes older self GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Spoiler:
I remember what happened when Rose did that, and it was NOT pretty.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 am UTC

Felltir wrote:
sunami wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I remember what happened when Rose did that, and it was NOT pretty.

Not surprisingly I've been spending WAY too much time browsing TV Tropes right after the finale ended, and here's a sort of laundry list of working explanations I've inferred from all that fan speculation I picked up on:

Spoiler:
-The entire universe was blinking out of existence, little by little. I'm sure a couple cardinal rules of physics/time travel may have disappeared with it as well.
-With regards to complex time events I'm sure "undoing the death of a man in a preestablished point in the timeline" and anything else in that proximity (i.e. "Father's Day") must rank a little differently than "sticking the Living Timey Wimey Ball into an everything-proof prison in a way that would surely exhibit immediate side effects on all of existence" (i.e. the Pandorica)
-something bad did happen after Big Amy touched Little Amy... the latter blinked out of existence somewhere within that intervening twelve minutes.
-I remember reading somewhere that since the Sun was gone and it was the the exploding TARDIS taking its place in the Earth's sky instead, some of its signature TARDIS-y time traveller protection may have held up to an extent.

Anyway, I'll probably need to watch the episode again for the infuriating little niggles to finally sink in. I'm not good with rationalizing fictional time paradoxes. :P
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Spoiler:
Evil Voice Theory Discussion Go!

In other news, I now have to post a Matt Smith quote up on my Facebook wall every Saturday (religiously) until Christmas, so I'd better start getting a list together I guess.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 am UTC

Amelia Pond is way too pretty.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

Cue wrote:
Spoiler:
Evil Voice Theory Discussion Go!

Spoiler:
Rassilon. Because the 'silence will fall' voice sounds a lot like Timothy Dalton, and he'd have plenty of reason to hate the Doctor. (and I'm going with him being the Dreamlord too, and the Doctor was just lying, because 'it's the evil timelord guy, and we're totally screwed' isn't something he's going to tell them).

Outlandish theory time: the whole Pandorica/ cracks thing was just a xanatos gambit to get the Doctor to reset the universe, because the Doctor remember Gallifrey, and I'm guessing that's been reset too.

edit: and I'm totally going to call that on tvtropes in case I'm right
Last edited by no-genius on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

OH MY VERY GOD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF_R5UJG ... r_embedded

Orbital feat. Matt Smith at Glastonbury.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

Am I the only one who sometimes wishes the Doctor were a bit of a nihilist? I mean, saving the universe is good and all, but what's so horrible about everything ceasing to exist? (Besides the obvious lack of a plot for the next series.)

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Am I the only one who sometimes wishes the Doctor were a bit of a nihilist? I mean, saving the universe is good and all, but what's so horrible about everything him ceasing to exist? (Besides the obvious lack of a plot for the next series.)

That'll be the instinct for self-preservation.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

I sometimes with the doctor had a bit more of that, actually. The lengths he goes to to avoid having to use weapons is ridiculous. He has absolutely no moral qualms about sacrificing entire planets if only it means he doesn't have to pick up a gun.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I sometimes with the doctor had a bit more of that, actually. The lengths he goes to to avoid having to use weapons is ridiculous. He has absolutely no moral qualms about sacrificing entire planets if only it means he doesn't have to pick up a gun.

That seems to be a quality generalization almost bordering on Flanderization over the years. Earlier doctors used to prefer diplomatic solutions, occasionally resorting to picking up a gun (or more often, having the Brigadier, Sgt. Benton or someone else pick up a gun) when there was no other way out. But now he has gone MacGyver on us with his gun aversion.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Diadem wrote:I sometimes with the doctor had a bit more of that, actually. The lengths he goes to to avoid having to use weapons is ridiculous. He has absolutely no moral qualms about sacrificing entire planets if only it means he doesn't have to pick up a gun.

That seems to be a quality generalization almost bordering on Flanderization over the years. Earlier doctors used to prefer diplomatic solutions, occasionally resorting to picking up a gun (or more often, having the Brigadier, Sgt. Benton or someone else pick up a gun) when there was no other way out. But now he has gone MacGyver on us.

Yeah. They are overdoing it. I recall a few episodes where he could have saved everything easily by just shooting an obvious bad guy and didn't. He even refuses to take up arms against the Dalek with the entire universe at stake. It gets annoying.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

Well 9 had people take up arms when Daleks were invading the news/game show place didn't he?
Or maybe Jack just arranged it and the Doctor was against it. I don't remember the story well I just remember a woman shooting a Dalek eye and being pissed it wasn't dying.

11 picked up a gun in the Angels episode but in a nonviolent way. Then there were soldiers with guns on their side... But Angels aren't hurt by bullets so I guess it doesn't count.

10 might have been an idiot about it. One thing that annoyed me was not just killing the Sontarans. He knew what choice they'd make but he had to be all self-sacrificing. (and then whines when it was actually his time.)
I actually like 10 but still...
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 am UTC

the 11th is quite a bit less whinny and annoying about that though, so there's that.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Humanity might be the Doctor's favourite species, but he does try to protect all of them. So preferring diplomacy to violence makes sense, protecting all sides if at all possible.

I'd love to see a recurring antagonist character who is like the Doctor, but with a different species. That protects some other planet the way he does earth. Who possibly has alien companions, if that isn't too near a parallel. While they'd team up against big threats, sometime in the future humanity and this species come into contact, so they can come up against each other all the time in that particular time, too.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 am UTC

The only time I remember 11 getting really pissy about weapons was in "The Hungry Earth", but then, he may have guessed much of the situation, and knew what killing would do...and he had a plan to capture one that didn't need weapons.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:Well 9 had people take up arms when Daleks were invading the news/game show place didn't he?
Or maybe Jack just arranged it and the Doctor was against it. I don't remember the story well I just remember a woman shooting a Dalek eye and being pissed it wasn't dying.
Christopher Eccleston had no qualms about violence. He was about to go to town on the Dalek in the episode Dalek with an enormous gun. And he punched a person when he was getting out of gaol.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
sugarhyped wrote:Well 9 had people take up arms when Daleks were invading the news/game show place didn't he?
Christopher Eccleston had no qualms about violence. He was about to go to town on the Dalek in the episode Dalek with an enormous gun. And he punched a person when he was getting out of gaol.

Well he was a tough no-nonsense northerner back then. Tennent, despite being from Scotland, is clearly a great southern pansy.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am UTC

Regarding the "silence will fall" thing, did anyone else notice an overuse of the phrase "shut up" in this episode? It seemed to me like it was everywhere. Amy said it, pretty sure River said it. Even the Doctor said it, and it's not really something I can see him saying naturally (he's more of an "oh, be quiet" person).
Possible foreshadowing for next season?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:The only time I remember 11 getting really pissy about weapons was in "The Hungry Earth", but then, he may have guessed much of the situation, and knew what killing would do...and he had a plan to capture one that didn't need weapons.

In that episode, it does make sense though, as humanity doesn't really have any more claim to Earth than the Silurians do (which the doctor would know from previous Silurian encounters). The deal with the Silurians have always been that no-obvious-bad-guy/moral-ambiguity/who-are-the-real-monsters? sort of a thing.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am UTC

Lioness wrote:Regarding the "silence will fall" thing, did anyone else notice an overuse of the phrase "shut up" in this episode? It seemed to me like it was everywhere. Amy said it, pretty sure River said it. Even the Doctor said it, and it's not really something I can see him saying naturally (he's more of an "oh, be quiet" person).

I'm beginning to feel like it's Amy's catchphrase. It was grating by the end of the episode.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Lioness

Postby Lioness » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
Lioness wrote:Regarding the "silence will fall" thing, did anyone else notice an overuse of the phrase "shut up" in this episode? It seemed to me like it was everywhere. Amy said it, pretty sure River said it. Even the Doctor said it, and it's not really something I can see him saying naturally (he's more of an "oh, be quiet" person).

I'm beginning to feel like it's Amy's catchphrase. It was grating by the end of the episode.

Yeah...and by the time I noticed that she was saying it heaps, I started to notice everyone else saying it. And it annoys me.
Especially at the
Spoiler:
wedding, where she's all "shut up, dad". How rude!

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

speaking of the wedding, what's with that "you may certianly kiss the bride" thing?

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

That's Amy's Doctor-love shining through for a second before the Doctor quickly pushes her back to Rory.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

i don't want my doctor to be a drunk =_=

also, Russell T. Davies writing this? argh

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

Good I was really annoyed with RTD for a second. He can just write for the next season of Who if he misses it.

I do not care for British successes coming to the States and being ruined.

I don't get how but we ruined the awesomeness that was teletubbies. :)

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I don't get how but we ruined the awesomeness that was teletubbies. :)
I can only imagine that something was lost in translation from English to English that you just called the teletubbies awesome.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
sugarhyped wrote:I don't get how but we ruined the awesomeness that was teletubbies. :)
I can only imagine that something was lost in translation from English to English that you just called the teletubbies awesome.

I was half joking. I was 8 when I came to London to visit cousins. Their 2 year old loved it, so I ended up seeing it a bit. I went back to America and the teletubbies eventually got there a couple years later. It was really that the American narrator really grated against me and maybe that I was older. Then there was that guy who really hate the purple one and had to make it not about the children.

Still I kind of like that Doctor Who isn't an American thing. I might know more people who actually watch it but thats about it.
I know it isn't happening but would RTD try to make it canon if it did?

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 am UTC

It'd probably be the same level of canon as the other Doctor Who movies, none of which starred any of the Doctors from the TV show.

The presence of an American actor playing the lead doesn't necessarily mean that it'd be an Americanization (especially given that the article in question was discredited). Personally I'd like to see a Doctor Who movie about the Time War.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”