Spoiler:
almost every monster in this series has been a regular human with a CGI mouth
?

Budget cuts.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

weiyaoli

Re: Doctor Who

Postby weiyaoli » Sat May 15, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

Interesting mechanic... But many other shows have done it better.
Spoiler:
I called both worlds being a dream! :mrgreen:

Only surprise for me today is that they haven't tacked a crack reference into this episode too.
And you thought I was crazy...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 15, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Why is it that
Spoiler:
almost every monster in this series has been a regular human with a CGI mouth
?

It's cheap and they want to save their budget for the finale? I tend to prefer a
Spoiler:
human looking monster to a really lame looking one, CGI or otherwise.

Spoiler:
While I hate the slitheen and the adipose just as much as the next guy, this particular form of human monster is getting somewhat tired. Can't they just glue a bunch of rubbish together and pull it along the floor with a string like they used to?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sat May 15, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

I liked this episode, very much. Although I'll admit that:

Spoiler:
I did probably enjoy the 'violence against old people' a bit too much. Also, the Dream Doctor / Possible Valeyard was a very good character, well written and very well acted.

I'm warming to Rory a lot more. This may or may not be related to the fact that he bashed an old woman with a plank.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat May 15, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

I like Rory more now, as well. In the previous episodes, he kinda felt like a Joxer the Mighty-esque stooge that didn't really contribute anything to the story at all.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 am UTC

I didn't really rate this episode
Spoiler:
though Rory smacking the old lady with a plank was brilliant

Cue wrote:Also, few episodes back (2nd Angels one):
Spoiler:
Does anyone else think the fact that the computer had Amy's wedding day on it was a bit random? It just seemed like it was in there for the sake of it, no real link to how it was her wedding day...? That and it being the last episode, but still.

Spoiler:
which computer?
I think the implication was that the it was a diagnostic of the crack, and that's when the event that caused the cracks would happen.
or it's a key date to do with that. or something?

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Sun May 16, 2010 1:56 am UTC

So since
Spoiler:
nothing obviously related to the arc happened this episode (no crack, silence, etc.) and supposedly there's some clue in every episode, is anyone else thinking that the Valeyard Dream Lord is going to make an appearance in the finale?
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Just a little question about the latest
Spoiler:
Since it only occurred to the Doctor that both were dreams right at the end, does that mean that when he said "I know who you are. There's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do" he was referring to someone else?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 16, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
... When Amy and the Doctor got in the van to kill themselves, did anyone else think of Thelma and Louise? I doubt there are any cliffs in Leadworth, but still.

Persephonethinx wrote:So since
Spoiler:
nothing obviously related to the arc happened this episode (no crack, silence, etc.) and supposedly there's some clue in every episode, is anyone else thinking that the Valeyard Dream Lord is going to make an appearance in the finale?
I vote that
Spoiler:
the crack/silence is all a manifestation of the Dream Lord. The Doctor wanted a shiny new apocalypse to thwart, so his unconscious made one.
Or not... That'd be a little dumb.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun May 16, 2010 7:14 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Just a little question about the latest
Spoiler:
Since it only occurred to the Doctor that both were dreams right at the end, does that mean that when he said "I know who you are. There's only one person in the universe who hates me as much as you do" he was referring to someone else?

Spoiler:
No, the Doctor has a very low self esteem, look at what he's done in the past (killing entire species, his own race, etc...), if you were him, you'd hate yourself to the ends of the universe too.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Sun May 16, 2010 8:43 am UTC

I think I'm going to be on my own with Crowey here in not loving the episode. It wasn't "bad" as such just not as good as I was expecting it to be (other shows have pulled off similar concepts much better).

Having said that, theories here:
Spoiler:
The Dream Lord being the Valeyard (after doing some reading up on the Dr Who Wiki to refresh my Valeyard knowledge) seems very likely. Both because of the similaraties in the characters and their intents and the fact that Moffart seems to like looking backwards for inspiration.

Here's an out of the park theory, what if the Valeyard/Dream Lord is a botched regeneration after this one? Say when Matt Smith Doctor dies the regen botches and we get a dark evil Valeyard/Doctor where his mind hasn't had chance to form properly so his dark side surfaces and he then becomes the big bad. What if then the Doctor's allies (lead by River) who were helping him defeat the big bad that caused him to be killed, in turn had to then turn on him to save the day. You could imagine that River may have to kill him.

In my head that would satisfy her comments in the angels two parter as to whom she killed and also the "not always what it seems when Moffart is involved" quotent.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
Rory smacking an old lady with a plank was pretty funny, though not quite as good as Simon Pegg drop-kicking one in Hot Fuzz.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:18 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:
... When Amy and the Doctor got in the van to kill themselves, did anyone else think of Thelma and Louise? I doubt there are any cliffs in Leadworth, but still.

Spoiler:
I definitely thought cliff.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
Was I the only one thinking "They're not going nearly fast enough to be sure of killing themselves"?

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun May 16, 2010 10:44 am UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
Was I the only one thinking "They're not going nearly fast enough to be sure of killing themselves"?

No.

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I did not, but my dad actually said "Thelma and Louise!" loud enough to make us pause and glare. :P
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sun May 16, 2010 10:56 am UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:

Nope...
Spoiler:
The entire room of people I was in simulataneously went "vrooooooom......bang...owwwwww it didn't work!" when we saw what was happening :P

Amy and Rory:
Spoiler:
I really like how they're making everything to be about her, because I'm starting to think it might be all a bit of a bluff. Amy's boys? There's definately something going on there. And Rory actually got character development! And the bit with the ponytail was adorable. I especially liked him hitting old people away though...[/

Doctor:
Spoiler:
I love how he insulted everything about himself - the tawdry quirks, the way he just leaves people behind, and all of that. I thought it was wonderful to see that the Dr is no longer as god-like and is kinda human in a way after all. I kind of want him to be the villain now (well, the Dreamlord anyway)

New interesting conspiracy theory suggested by a friend!
The entire series is a countdown. Well, that seems obvious, but:
Spoiler:
the ELEVENTH hour
Elizabeth TEN
There were 9 daleks (apparently, I haven't checked this)
Father Octavian
There were SEVEN vampires - Queen, Son, 5 Girls
6 pollen specks. Apparently.
Thoughts?
Last edited by beyondweird on Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:

I thought both.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Ended

Postby Ended » Sun May 16, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

beyondweird wrote:New interesting conspiracy theory suggested by a friend!
The entire series is a countdown. Well, that seems obvious, but:
Spoiler:
the ELEVENTH hour
Elizabeth TEN
There were 9 daleks (apparently, I haven't checked this)
Father Octavian
There were SEVEN vampires - Queen, Son, 5 Girls
6 pollen specks. Apparently.
Thoughts?

Spoiler:
Cool idea. I just looked on iPlayer and yes there were 6 pollen specks.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun May 16, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
beyondweird wrote:There were 9 daleks (apparently, I haven't checked this)
Eh... 3 older Daleks, 5 Technicolor Daleks, and Bracewell... I guess technically that's 9. I'm iffy about including Bracewell in the count, and even without him, the two groups of Daleks are hardly cohesive.
beyondweird wrote:There were SEVEN vampires - Queen, Son, 5 Girls
There were more than 5 girls. I count 6, 7 if you include Isabella. But maybe that's your seven - seven converts.

I'll also mention the law of small numbers, though... pick a number and an episode, and I'm sure you'd be able to find something relevant to that number in that ep. The only one that stands out to me is the title of the first episode, but even then, that's probably what turned your friend onto the countdown idea in the first place.

Also, given the spacing of double episodes and whatnot this season, this'll have us reaching "2" at the finale... there's 10 stories this season - 13 episodes, but 3 two-parters.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun May 16, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
did anyone else think the guy in the minivan looked a lot like David Tennant?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Amy's Choice episode:
Spoiler:
Just watching Amy's Choice again and, as I suspected at the time, the Doctor's bow tie and braces change between the normal red in the TARDIS and blue in Leadworth (sorry, Upper Leadworth). It could be argued that Rory and Amy's clothes alternate as well: Rory has a blue jacket in Leadworth and a more red top in the TARDIS while Amy has a bright orange/red top underneath in the TARDIS with a blue jacket over the top while in Leadworth she has a red top over a blue one.

Obviously Amy and Rory would be wearing different clothes 5 years into the future but I see little reason for the Doctor to have changed bow tie and braces (and only those) which is why I suspected that Leadworth was the dream at the time. There were also more mentions of the Doctor's bow tie than normal (at least I think more than normal). Not sure what I think the reasoning behind the change is after both were shown as false. Could just be to encourage the viewer to think Leadworth is a dream and the TARDIS isn't but it seems too small a detail just for that so I thought I'd throw it out there. Any ideas?

P.S. Personally I still find Rory quite annoying and hope he isn't around too much
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Sun May 16, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

just-mark wrote:Amy's Choice episode:
Spoiler:
P.S. Personally I still find Rory quite annoying and hope he isn't around too much

Spoiler:
I think his character seriously needs some development, at the moment he's just a joke.

Oh and about this quote,

"Only one person could hate me as much as you".

Is he still angsting over wiping out his own species? Gawd.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon May 17, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Spoiler:
It's not so much "still angsting" as "angsting again" since he just had to repeat that unhappy decision. Plus, the Dream Lord never mentioned killing his own species--just a bunch of other Doctor-y traits that stick out.

I think they got the Rory/Amy relationship worked out a little better this episode. As it was, I was going to have a hard time buying her going back to Rory, and didn't want to see her turn into another Doctor-obsessive. The sort of consciousness-shredding experience they put her through was what they needed to reform their relationship into something more believably devoted.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon May 17, 2010 7:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't think the "only person who could hate me as much as you" comment was relating to the usual "survivors guilt" of the time war as such. If you think about it from a truly psychological point of view, there's nothing quite as powerful as self loathing sometimes. People can dislike you and call you names all they like but the one person who can truly hate you and have it matter more than anything is yourself.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 17, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The only reason nobody else could hate him as much is that DAAALEKS HAVE NO USE FOR EMOTIONS!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

Tangentially related, but I saw this and it cracked me up, especially the part from 2 minutes and onwards.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:

but there was
Spoiler:
when rory and amy ran home the doctor was left talking to the old people. they had the exact same story as the vampires of venice. they just breezed through it because we have had enough of the obvious crack references.

i enjoyed the episode.
Spoiler:
i thought it would end with amy having to hurt rory's feelings. i'm pretty happy it didn't afterwards.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon May 17, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Spoiler:

but there was
Spoiler:
when rory and amy ran home the doctor was left talking to the old people. they had the exact same story as the vampires of venice. they just breezed through it because we have had enough of the obvious crack references.

i enjoyed the episode.
Spoiler:
i thought it would end with amy having to hurt rory's feelings. i'm pretty happy it didn't afterwards.

Spoiler:
Pretty much all of the aliens that are on Earth in numbers are because their home planet has had badness.
Adipose, Pyrovile, Space-fish, Cybermen, Daleks at various points. Those are just the ones I know of from the new series so it makes a certain degree of sense for the Doctor's subconscious to put them on Earth for that reason.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon May 17, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, do remember that those aliens weren't really driven from anywhere, because they weren't real. Well. Their species might have been.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu May 20, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It seems River Song will be back for the last two episodes, though perhaps everyone knew that already and I'm a bit late at hearing this stuff!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
I hadn't heard that it had been confirmed but I'd suspected as such as she's "Moffart's character" in a manner of speaking so I dare say she'll be like Jack and pop in at all the real important points. Maybe the end of the series will be the opening of the pandorica?

Seeing as this series seems to be all Amy centric (as in the big bad cracks seems to be very linked into her) I'm wondering how it'll end and if it'll end in such a way that Amy won't be the companion next year? I can't see them doing that as she seems to be such a popular character but with it all being "about her" it makes me wonder.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 21, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Speaking of Jack, he's been conspicuously absent this season. Has he been dropped?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri May 21, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
I hadn't heard that it had been confirmed but I'd suspected as such as she's "Moffart's character" in a manner of speaking so I dare say she'll be like Jack and pop in at all the real important points. Maybe the end of the series will be the opening of the pandorica?

Seeing as this series seems to be all Amy centric (as in the big bad cracks seems to be very linked into her) I'm wondering how it'll end and if it'll end in such a way that Amy won't be the companion next year? I can't see them doing that as she seems to be such a popular character but with it all being "about her" it makes me wonder.

Spoiler:
Rose adsorbed the time vortex and she is still around. Who knows, maybe the Doctor can cure whatever's wrong with Amy.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
Maybe the end of the series will be the opening of the pandorica?

Spoiler:
The title of the first part of the finale is actually called "The Pandorica Opens". :D
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 21, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Shouldn't it be "The Pandorica Open"?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 21, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

BEST TENNIS COMPETITION EVER

People who aren't reading the spoilers will love me. :]
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri May 21, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
only if Pandorica is a plural, rather than just a word that ends with an a

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri May 21, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
only if Pandorica is a plural, rather than just a word that ends with an a

Spoiler:
Or if it's being used as a collective noun, in which case both "open" and "opens" could be considered correct.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri May 21, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Speaking of Jack, he's been conspicuously absent this season. Has he been dropped?

I think it seems quite obvious that Moffart is trying in the most part to distance himself from the previous series as much as possible (new tardis, new darleks, new doctor, new theme tune, new screwdriver, etc) the only thing that has been brought forward has been River & she was in the last series as a bit of a setup for him taking over in the future anyway.

Yes Jack was originally a character created for one of his episodes but he was very much a part of the old doctor.

If you don't believe any of that to be true there is also the additional info that until about a month ago when it fell through the BBC were in talks about doing a new Torchwood series in partnership with Fox in the US which would have moved Torchwood to be US based, so they may have just been holding the character back because of that possibly taking off.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Fri May 21, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

US based Torchwood? But that's our spin off. D:

Also, Jack can't be gone really, they wouldn't dare, he's just too loved, and fits in rather nicely with the more risque jokes in the new series.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”