Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stief

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Postby Stief » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:14 am UTC

Who doesn't love it? :mrgreen:

I just love everything about it ^_^

who else loves this movie?
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Tisiphone

Re: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Postby Tisiphone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:16 am UTC

It was amazing when I was 14 and it was the only thing we could actually do at that age that made us feel rebellious and cool. I mean come on, once a month getting to go out, dressing up all hussy-like and watching the same damn movie every month and throwing shit and screaming. Eventually we hit high school, got cars and found alcohol and sex. RHPS seemed to lose its appeal a bit since then, we occasionally still go though, if there is absolutely nothing else to do and we're usually pretty throwed.
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:29 am UTC

I still get a huge kick out of it. Someday I want to see the play version. Some of my friends were angling to do that as our senior class play in high school, but surprise, surprise, it didn't fly. Even better, the first time I watched it was with my mom, who was appalled that I hadn't seen it before.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:46 am UTC

I love the first 2/3 of the movie. But towards the end it just starts getting... uncomfortable.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 am UTC

Also, when I was 14 staying out anywhere past midnight was our equivalent of getting laid. It was a gigantic feat.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

What I love most about this movie is that in the end, after all this (intentionally) crappy plot, suddenly, out of nowhere... Philosophy that reduces humankind to it's actual size in all four dimensions.
And crawling on the planet's face, some insects, called 'The Human Race'. Lost in time. Lost in space. And meaning.

Then there is this damn good music. It just rocks. There's the early Meat Loaf in a adorable small role, and he gets killed! All bloody and gross by the scientist, driven maaaaaaaaaaad. Who could actually not love this? Bisexual Tim Curry in make-up, high heels and corset relaxing on a throne is one of God's gift to human kind. I firmly believe this. Plus there is gay sex. Twice. Once before and once after they dine on a coffin with Eddy's bloody corpse in it, if I remember correctly.
On a more serious note: I find the integration of the narrator into the plot neat, especially during the Time Warp scenes. The three main characters are well thought out and manage to represent the parodied stereotypes in a way that surpasses old jokes and slap stick.
I <3 this movie.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

tiny wrote:On a more serious note: I find the integration of the narrator into the plot neat, especially during the Time Warp scenes.

In a New Zealand production, the narrator was played by former Prime Minister Rob Muldoon.

I love the movie too.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 am UTC

I've yet to see it done live or even hear about it being performed, but its one of my favorite movies I need to get everyone to do the time warp at the next school dance.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:00 am UTC

I used to really like it, I have to say that I haven't seen in ages though.

My students union plays the time warp most club nights, we all get up and do the dance. We're so cool. :wink:

I've actually been in a production of it, as an extra. The guy who played Frankenfurter has never quite escaped from it!

Is it wrong I kind of fancy Tim Currie in that film?
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:03 am UTC

loratwopointone wrote:Is it wrong I kind of fancy Tim Currie in that film?

you're only human :mrgreen:
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 am UTC

"It's boil in the bag perversion for sexually frustrated accountants and first year drama students with too many posters of Betty Blue, The Blues Brothers, Big Blue and Blue Velvet on their blue bloody walls!"

... Sorry. Anyway, I used to really like it but my love for it dwindled after every re-watch. So uh, yeah. I don't love this film. Tim Curry was gorgeous in it, though.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:24 am UTC

Okay, I have to get you in the right place here: 1983. If you were a kid then (or born after that), then pretend. Think about a middle-aged, very conservative woman, button-up shirtwaist dresses, comfortable flats, house in the suburbs, two nice kids and a nice husband. I'll call her "Joan". She and I were both enrolled in a summer program (I was pretty young at the time), and a group of the younger folks decided to go see RHPS. Joan wasn't sure if she wanted to see it or not, as she had never heard of the movie. She asked me what the plot was, and I replied, "Oh, it's the story of a wedding and what happened afterwards."

Which is true, but she didn't talk to me for a couple of days after that.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:53 am UTC

In our monthly showing they have it on the screen, and then have the cast performing it simultaneously in front of the seats, in the aisle, climbing on top of patrons, etc. There is the normal screaming of lines, throwing of various objects, squirt guns, and singing. Also before hand we have the "Oath" everyone recites, the "devirginising" of the RHPS virgins, and various audience participation contests and lewd games. The back two aisles are full of people having sex throughout the movie, people have no grasp on physical boundaries of Basic Human Decency. It is so much fun, although a little shocking when I was younger. The screaming of made up lines of course makes the movie. "I'm lucky, you're lucky, we're all lucky "The banister's lucky!"" hehe.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 am UTC

Last year I went to the RHS at my local theatre with a group of friends (in drag, naturally), it was the most fun ever :p... Particularly when we walked back through town in-costume... Sadly, someone lost my camera with all the photos on.

Retrograde Motion

Postby Retrograde Motion » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

Love this movie. Last year I got to see an "in-person" performance - my brother, his girlfriend and I all dressed up, it was loads of fun.
"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people." ~ John Lennon

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:47 am UTC

There was a showing at a local arthouse film place just a couple of weeks ago. I wandered around shirtless, and my boyfriend climbed into lingerie and sparkly fishnet. (It was funny when we ran into people who recognized him. Needless to say, all pictures of that night remain untagged on Facebook.)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Perhaps I'm a strange minority. I neither love nor hate this movie. I've seen it twice now, once with the whole audience interaction bit. I think some of the songs are fun and all, but other than that, meh. And further blasphemy, Tim Curry, meh. I supposed I expected much more of it since I heard lots of people talk about it and how awesome it was supposed to be.
This space intentionally left blank.

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

Once a MONTH? Once a YEAR here, they do a showing of it on campus.

I'm leaving in about 40 minutes.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Went to see a live show in London earlier this year with a friend who refused to dress up :( but it was just brililant. Frank N Furter was no Tim Curry but he was very very good, and once again demonstrated the alarming sexual attraction of the character (when the actor can pull it off, obviously, cudos to him too).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:20 am UTC

I rather love RHPS, and I think I've memorized most of the movie by this point. I've only seen it live once, but I had no voice, so I'll be going again, I'm sure.

And going to see it live requires a certain special attitude, but if you have it, it can be so much fun.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Cabhan wrote:And going to see it live requires a certain special attitude, but if you have it, it can be so much fun.
[quote="Cabhan"]

And that 'special attitude' is called intoxicated. I now realise that with each additional time I attend a performance, I require an additional shot. Not to say that Tim Curry isn't dead sexy of course. I am just tiring of finding rice in my corset and getting beaned in the head with toast.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

Tisiphone wrote:I am just tiring of finding rice in my corset and getting beaned in the head with toast.
Wet toast.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

I only really saw it once in the proper element, but it was a lot of fun. I was kinda weirded out by the "actors" dressed up (I was 14 or 15... dudes in drag on the screen was one thing, in person it was weird). I still can't see Tim Curry without thinking of the movie, though, and he's always Dr. Frankenfurter playing a clown (IT) or a butler (Clue (?)), or whatever. The mayor on [i]Spin City always makes me yell "DAMNIT! JANET! I WANNA SCREW!" When Paradise by the Dashboard Lights comes on I'm compelled to yell "Oh no! Not Meatloaf again!"

I really need to see this movie again. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

I try to watch it when I can. It's one of those guilty pleasures. Very guilty pleasure.

I can only stand it though up to "Sweet Transvestite."

This is a good summary of it.
PRG

An important message for you:

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:24 am UTC

It was one of my favorite things to go to back in high school, one of the theaters played it every week.

I have a question to ask, but its a spoiler to those that haven't seen fight club:

Spoiler:
Did your group chant "His name was Robert Paulson" after meatloaf dies....better yet, how many of you didnt really get it until seeing fight club and burst out laughing during said scene?
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Stax Kazama

Postby Stax Kazama » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:43 am UTC

I love Rocky Horror! I haven't seen it in the theatre in years though. The only place I knew of that did it shut down a while back. ;_;

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:23 am UTC

RockoTDF wrote:It was one of my favorite things to go to back in high school, one of the theaters played it every week.

I have a question to ask, but its a spoiler to those that haven't seen fight club:

Spoiler:
Did your group chant "His name was Robert Paulson" after meatloaf dies....better yet, how many of you didnt really get it until seeing fight club and burst out laughing during said scene?

I saw it once or twice with the audience participation. That and the Blue Brothers. I got the impression that the script for the audience was written long ago, and followed to the letter. So no references that recent.

Same people going back every month, and it got a little stale.

Eventually the theater stopped showing Blues Brother altogether (they didn't clean up so well.) and last I checked RHPS was down to every 2nd month or so.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:51 am UTC

I saw it some 60 times around 1980, 2 or 3 times since then.
Small town college geek, nothing better to do on saturday night.
It was a stage play, and they made a movie, and it about covered its costs but wasn't a big hit.
But there was an entrepreneur somewhere, i read an article once but forget the details, that had this idea that if a movie theatre played the same movie every saturday night, people would start going, and they did. He tried eraserhead first, and it kinda worked, but the next year he tried RHPS, and it took off and has never stopped.

Did you know there's a sequel, Shock Treatment? It's not -as- good, but it's good, in a campy kind of way.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

It's an absolutely horrible movie, but of course you go for the interactive experience. Unfortunately, I haven't yet done it, but I hope to one day.

And I do have to laugh at the irony of eating Meat Loaf.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:I love the first 2/3 of the movie. But towards the end it just starts getting... uncomfortable.

The uncomfortable feeling is the awesome creeping up into you.

You'll get used to it.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 am UTC

It's MUCH better to see on stage. Especially if you dress up to go see it (and you'll be the minority if you DON'T dress up to go see it). I believe I was in fishnets, a ripped open white shirt and my hair slicked back and small pants. We went out to a few bars around the theater afterwards. Suffice to say we got a few looks. :)

It all gives you a strange feeling of antici.....................

.......pation

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:11 pm UTC

It's pretty neat. Some friends of mine used to do a midnight show at a local theater, and I went to see it once. It duplicates the feel of something that's had all the sense squeezed out of it by years of cult popularity, but as far as I can tell there was never any sense to begin with.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

I know this thread's been dead a while, but I'm going to my first cinema screening of it on Halloween (I've seen it a few times on the tv, but with very minimal participation) and was wondering if you had any advice for a virgin?

The main thing I'm not sure about is how much participation there'll be. I'm pretty sure the cinema shows it at most once a year and the latest showing (which is the one I'm going to) is still very early (it starts about nine).

In short, I'm not sure what to expect and was hoping you guys might have a better idea.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:45 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I know this thread's been dead a while, but I'm going to my first cinema screening of it on Halloween (I've seen it a few times on the tv, but with very minimal participation) and was wondering if you had any advice for a virgin?

The main thing I'm not sure about is how much participation there'll be. I'm pretty sure the cinema shows it at most once a year and the latest showing (which is the one I'm going to) is still very early (it starts about nine).

In short, I'm not sure what to expect and was hoping you guys might have a better idea.

The level of participation can vary depending on the size of the theater, and the size of the audience.

Be ready to get really messy, as they throw shit all over the place.

Be ready to shout things. Here's a handy guide as to what one should say when one witnesses any scene during said movie.

Also, you're a virgin? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Been nice knowing you.

Wondering how you'll survive makes me quiver with antici...
PRG

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:10 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Also, you're a virgin? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Been nice knowing you.

Luckily I'm going with four or five friends all of whom are more virgin than me (as I say, I'm seen it a few times not in the cinema, they've only seen it once (or not at all)) so I'll see if I can pass it off on them :P

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Wondering how you'll survive makes me quiver with antici...

Say It!
my pronouns are they

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

...pation!

eSOANEM wrote:Luckily I'm going with four or five friends all of whom are more virgin than me (as I say, I'm seen it a few times not in the cinema, they've only seen it once (or not at all)) so I'll see if I can pass it off on them

Seeing it at home, either aired on TV or on video, doesn't count. It's like saying you've ridden a roller coaster just because you watched a video of a roller coaster from the point of view of a rider. You're just as much a virgin as your friends. However, memorizing those guides between now and when you go see it will, in a way, "de-virginize" you.
PRG

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:51 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Seeing it at home, either aired on TV or on video, doesn't count. It's like saying you've ridden a roller coaster just because you watched a video of a roller coaster from the point of view of a rider. You're just as much a virgin as your friends. However, memorizing those guides between now and when you go see it will, in a way, "de-virginize" you.
Eh, my experience is that it's difficult to enjoy it with participation if you haven't seen it without participation.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Luckily I'm going with four or five friends all of whom are more virgin than me (as I say, I'm seen it a few times not in the cinema, they've only seen it once (or not at all)) so I'll see if I can pass it off on them

Seeing it at home, either aired on TV or on video, doesn't count. It's like saying you've ridden a roller coaster just because you watched a video of a roller coaster from the point of view of a rider. You're just as much a virgin as your friends. However, memorizing those guides between now and when you go see it will, in a way, "de-virginize" you.

Yeah, I know, but they don't :lol:

Vaniver wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Seeing it at home, either aired on TV or on video, doesn't count. It's like saying you've ridden a roller coaster just because you watched a video of a roller coaster from the point of view of a rider. You're just as much a virgin as your friends. However, memorizing those guides between now and when you go see it will, in a way, "de-virginize" you.
Eh, my experience is that it's difficult to enjoy it with participation if you haven't seen it without participation.

Yeah, tvtropes also suggested this so we have all watched it at least once without (well with a little bit, one of the people had a set of callouts on their laptop).
my pronouns are they

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

Truth be told, I'm a virgin to when it comes to the movie.

While I was going through those sites, I did see one thing that interested me. While some parts are expected and required, other parts are optional, or can be changed. One recurring thing is to ask a question right before a character says "YES!". One of the sites recommended asking questions or saying things that were more concurrent to present day.

For example:

You: Is Justin Bieber really a girl?
Someone in movie: YES!
PRG

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 am UTC

Well now I've seen it. It was a shame it wasn't a proper midnight showing. There was one other group of people throwing the props and only two people in costume (Magenta and Columbia) and we were the only group doing any callouts.

We managed to get a lot of laughs from the audience even if a steward did come and stand ominously next too us for a few minutes.
my pronouns are they

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”