Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Heroes (series two cometh)

Postby Moo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 am UTC

Watched the last episode of series two last night (downloaded; I'm in England) - but won't give any spoilers, don't worry.

It could have gone some very, very interesting places but due to the writer's strike it was so anticlimactic. I'm sure they've done all they could, but my advice is not to expect this to be a second installment akin to Series 1; think of it as a filler until Series 3 airs. If you get too involved in storylines and characters and trying to guess outcomes you will be left feeling very flat, since none of those things were ever able to be realised.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:27 am UTC

@ no-genius:
I don't particularly go out of my way to watch House. I'll sit down to watch it when it's on, but I don't follow it religiously, ergo if the schedule for House on five clashes with Heroes Thursday 9pm BBC2, then I'll take your word for it.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It ending when it did had a little to do with the wirter's strike. It had more to do with Kring realising that everybody was disappointed and unhappy with what was happening in Heroes, so he apologised for it and cut a lot of what was happening off abruptly and promised to do better next time.

MrLamper

Postby MrLamper » Tue May 06, 2008 10:17 am UTC

It ending when it did had a little to do with the wirter's strike. It had more to do with Kring realising that everybody was disappointed and unhappy with what was happening in Heroes, so he apologised for it and cut a lot of what was happening off abruptly and promised to do better next time.

You're right, I forgot about the apology he made to everyone. I thought it was actually going quite well when it finished, but there're now a hell of a lot of things to consider for the next time. It might be a lot harder to recover from it all.

Don't show the below unless you want half the season ruined for you!!!
Spoiler:
For example, what will happen to Nathan? Will Peter's blood be a cure too? What will happen with Noah? Who was the man walking away from the Press? What will happen to Maya? Will Sylar have those powers he took while un-powered? Also, what powers did Kaito Nakamura, Angela Petrelli, etc. actually have? Will we be told?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Sorry, I didn't know about the apology. Wow, that seems quite unprecidented.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

The only good thing about Season 2 was
Spoiler:
Kristen Bell.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:The only good thing about Season 2 was
Spoiler:
Kristen Bell.

Spoiler:
I thought she was crap.

Hot, but crap.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

MrLamper

Postby MrLamper » Tue May 06, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

hyperion wrote:

Endless Mike wrote:
The only good thing about Season 2 was
Spoiler:
Kristen Bell.

Spoiler:
I thought she was crap.

Hot, but crap.

Spoiler:
Right on, she WAS really crap.
The only good thing about Elle was the electricity.
Other than that, she was a useless, spoilt little rich girl.

Although, it will be interesting to see a plot between her and Claire being enemies.

Hahaha... So many spoilers.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Re: Heroes: Here thar be spoilers (Merg'd Season 2)

Postby Lumpy » Sat May 10, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

What will happen with Noah?

Spoiler:
The graphic novels say Noah is still being held where he was at the end of the season, several days or weeks afterward. He's being guarded by a former partner that can cast light from her hands, who damaged his eyes enough for him to need glasses when they met. That girl was partnered up with a new girl with superpower vision, who got her memory wiped when Bennett warned her. They'll probably skip this, but sometimes they like to cut and paste writing from the graphic novels into the series.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Heroes Season 2 finale has aired in the UK now. Interesting finale episode I must say.
Spoiler warning...
Spoiler:
- Didn't DL and Nikki already know of the specifics of Micah's technopathy, or is it only a recent development that he can 'tell' the machine to do something?
- Quite a few possibilities for who shot J.R. Nathan Petrelli. I'm thinking Angela was probably on the phone to Bob when she discussed the proverbial Pandora's Box, but it wouldn't be unusual to introduce something completely new and untested. Maybe another organisation she's been in league with, separate from The Company and Team Noah.
- I wish they'd let Maya die to be honest. She and her brother were really awful boring characters, who only served as plot development filler staff so they could bring back Sylar. I'm even not so sure how either Sylar or Candice survived the events of Kirby Plaza to be honest
- Does Sylar consider telekinesis his basic trademark low-power ability then? He's probably got at least 10 up his sleeve now, so why choose that one...
- How did Noah get that tennis/baseball when he was in The Company prison cell?
- Bit of a blow for Claire, seeing as she pushed her boyfriend away on the premise that she would be off to take down The Company, only to have her dad turn up and say stop. GUTT-ED!
- Think Nikki is going to need one serious Deus Ex Machina now...
- Wonder what Peter will be doing about Caitlin now. I can see him try going forward in time to find her. Or perhaps, in a dark depressing sense, wiping out the Shanti strain of the virus, relocates that hypothetical future where the world all died off, with Caitlin in it, to a parallel dimension with no access routes. Although, Nathan did say to Pete to tell him not to let guilt take over him, which would be hard to resist in such a future.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Heroes Season 2 finale has aired in the UK now. Interesting finale episode I must say.
Spoiler warning...
Spoiler:
- Didn't DL and Nikki already know of the specifics of Micah's technopathy, or is it only a recent development that he can 'tell' the machine to do something?
- Quite a few possibilities for who shot J.R. Nathan Petrelli. I'm thinking Angela was probably on the phone to Bob when she discussed the proverbial Pandora's Box, but it wouldn't be unusual to introduce something completely new and untested. Maybe another organisation she's been in league with, separate from The Company and Team Noah.
- I wish they'd let Maya die to be honest. She and her brother were really awful boring characters, who only served as plot development filler staff so they could bring back Sylar. I'm even not so sure how either Sylar or Candice survived the events of Kirby Plaza to be honest
- Does Sylar consider telekinesis his basic trademark low-power ability then? He's probably got at least 10 up his sleeve now, so why choose that one...
- How did Noah get that tennis/baseball when he was in The Company prison cell?
- Bit of a blow for Claire, seeing as she pushed her boyfriend away on the premise that she would be off to take down The Company, only to have her dad turn up and say stop. GUTT-ED!
- Think Nikki is going to need one serious Deus Ex Machina now...
- Wonder what Peter will be doing about Caitlin now. I can see him try going forward in time to find her. Or perhaps, in a dark depressing sense, wiping out the Shanti strain of the virus, relocates that hypothetical future where the world all died off, with Caitlin in it, to a parallel dimension with no access routes. Although, Nathan did say to Pete to tell him not to let guilt take over him, which would be hard to resist in such a future.

Spoiler:
-Sylar survived because he was lucky, Candice survived because Nikki wasn't trying to kill her, she was trying to find Micah.
-Telekinesis was Sylar's first acquisition. He's had the most time with it, and it's the one that first made him "special". I'd be surprised if it wasn't the one he used to check.
-Nikki doesn't need DEM, she needs a funeral. She's dead.
-I'm reasonably sure that worrying about Caitlin is not going to be high on Peter's list of priorities, whether Nathan dies or not.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
Neither Nikki nor Nathan are dead, they are shown in the trailer for the third season.
Personally, I think it was Noah who killed Nathan, if you look at the crowd shot after Nathan is killed, you can see someone walking away, he looks and walks exactly like Noah.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Why the fuck would he kill him? He's got the same goals as them, just about. That, and wasn't he somewhere else at the time?

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:
Spoiler:
Why the fuck would he kill him? He's got the same goals as them, just about. That, and wasn't he somewhere else at the time?

Spoiler:
I think he is being controlled by the company again, he told his daughter to stop trying to uncover the company, killing Nathan is obviously to the same end, and we don't know how long was between the two scenes, it could be him.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Vanguard wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think he is being controlled by the company again, he told his daughter to stop trying to uncover the company, killing Nathan is obviously to the same end, and we don't know how long was between the two scenes, it could be him.
Spoiler:
I'm going to agree here. I think Awia's suggestion really did make perfect sense. Noah doesn't seem to have any bond with the Petrellis, so would accept a shot to Nathan's chest as standard protocol for his work with The Company, move on with it and grudgingly accept his pay check from Bob. The way the episode was shown also betrays the timeline a bit. We wait 20 minutes for Micah and Nikki to drive across town, when it would have been about 5 in real time. The level of preparation for the press conference might have been at least a day. Ample time for Noah to traverse from California to Texas, especially if the events at Costa Verde where Noah comes home was way before the events at The Vault in Odessa.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I really hope he didn't do it, myself. but he's done similar shit.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, I watched it again, and again, I went slo-mo, and scrutinised it as much as I could, and you can definitely see some glasses as that guy turns away, unless there is another character with Horn-Rimmed glasses, I think it is definitely him.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, I watched it again, and again, I went slo-mo, and scrutinised it as much as I could, and you can definitely see some glasses as that guy turns away, unless there is another character with Horn-Rimmed glasses, I think it is definitely him.

Unless you're on DvD or TV, could you at all screenshot?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

I think with the incoming season 3 this major thread deserved a bump.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 am UTC

I hope I haven't missed much not reading the online comics. I just kinda...stopped caring. I mean, not caring enough to wait for those damn things to load. Takes forever with no payoff.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
Mohinder - DO EEET NAO! BECOME AN HERO!
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Am I the only one who thinks Heroes may have jumped the shark already?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:44 am UTC

...Well, they certainly aren't repeating the mistakes of the Season 2 premiere. This is good stuff, and they jumped right into the action.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Exotria wrote:...Well, they certainly aren't repeating the mistakes of the Season 2 premiere. This is good stuff, and they jumped right into the action.

I'm a huge sucker for super-powers, I'll be watching anyway. I suppose they'll have their chance to convince me they're not screwing everything up.
Spoiler:
At least we haven't seen West yet.

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Crap. I forgot how good they were at cliffhangers.

This season is going to exceed my expectations. And yes,
Spoiler:
West as Sir Not Appearing in this TV Series
is a huge sigh of relief.

I'm not sure I can even start predicting what's going to happen. Those guys got their stuff together. I'm going to have to rewatch these first two episodes several times...
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:33 am UTC

I'm at least glad that they at least changed Sylar killing people and taking their brains a little bit. There were parts that felt like cop-outs and cliches, but I think the worst was the gratuitous gore. I decided to drop watching The Big Bang Theory for watching Heroes instead, though.

Explanation of what you missed in the graphic novels below:

Spoiler:
Only two characters from the graphic novels showed up: the German and the woman with super-speed.

In the graphic novels, they had a man that could clone himself locked up in a dungeon for spare organs. The clones that went rogue started an anti-Company organization with the aid of the original man's wife, who could change other people's faces. They sent a text message to a bank robber with magnetic abilities warning them the Company was in the area.

A woman with super-powered breathing abilities and her partner were assigned. Her fiance, also their supervisor, was assigned to tag along. The partner got killed, a smoke bomb was thrown, and they grabbed him.

At the end of the storyline, the organization of clones was trying to take the Company by siege. All of the new graphic novel characters were killed off except for the breath-holding woman, her fiance, the German, the man that could clone himself, and his Company partner impregnated by him or one of his clones. It ended with them hey got back the comatose cloning guy hooked up to a respirator.

Grandmother Hawkins was killed off in the graphic novels, too, so I wonder if they'll get to what happened to Monica and Micah next week

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Hey look, it's the helix :)

Spoiler:

It not exactly a spoiler, but whatever
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

The whole point of this thread is not having to use spoiler warnings.

The 2-hr episode(s) were OK for me, I disliked the shotgun approach. Too much happened and there was no time for development. Seems like a symptom of the last season's 'nothing happened' start.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Man, at this point there's only, like, five characters in this show that ISN'T related to a Petrelli. :shock:

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

I lol'd:

"Do not open the safe."

*opens safe* [note says to press play]

[on pressing play, video continues] "I told you not to open the safe! But now that you have..."
Last edited by Random832 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:Man, at this point there's only, like, five characters in this show that ISN'T related to a Petrelli. :shock:

Yeah I thought the same thing. It's pretty ridiculous. And grr... one Peter Petrelli is bad enough, now we have two of them?

I thought the first episode was alright but the second brought back horrible memories of season 2. I really hope this season won't be that bad.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:I lol'd:

"Do not open the safe."

*opens safe* [note says to press play]

[on pressing play, video continues] "I told you not to open the safe! But now that you have..."

I thought that was hilarious, too.

Hell, both episodes were definately the most quotable of the shows I've seen so far.

"Eat your brain? That's the most DISQUSTING thing I've ever heard."
"Thank you, turtle!"
"No service here--should have went with Sprint."

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:"Eat your brain? That's the most DISQUSTING thing I've ever heard."

Nice shout-out to fans (that was one of the most common theories as to how he gains people's powers)

"No service here--should have went with Sprint."

My entire family laughed out loud for 15 seconds at that (good thing we had DVR to go back)

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Three things bugged me about last night's Season Premiere, outside of any problems I had with various plot points.

Mohinder: "I can't think of any new ideas right now so I'm giving up my important research and going home. Wait! I have a great/incredibly simple idea!" (Paraphrased)

Mohinder couldn't think of any ideas for a day so he decided to give up his research on metahumans? He hadn't even examined Maya! Also, considering that Mohinder's Eureka moment involved a very basic line of reasoning, it seemed like there were a lot of avenues that Mohinder could have worked on while trying to come up with a great idea.

Sylar: "We only used 10% of our brains. What if we used all of it?" (Paraphrased)

Man, how long was that discredited? And people are still think it's true (and are using it on television shows)?

Angela Petrelli: "It's the butterfly effect. Step on a butterfly and six months later, there's a typhoon." (Paraphrased)

This is a little bit clever but still not so great. The "stepping on a butterfly" comes from the Ray Bradbury story "A Sound of Thunder" which is the basis for the name "the butterfly effect" as a character stepped on a butterfly in the past and there were many changes in the present. However, the example given to show the butterfly effect in chaos theory involves a butterfly flapping its wings and changing the weather from what would have taken place otherwise.

Just bugs me.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

MiB24601 wrote:Three things bugged me about last night's Season Premiere, outside of any problems I had with various plot points.

Mohinder: "I can't think of any new ideas right now so I'm giving up my important research and going home. Wait! I have a great/incredibly simple idea!" (Paraphrased)

Mohinder couldn't think of any ideas for a day so he decided to give up his research on metahumans? He hadn't even examined Maya! Also, considering that Mohinder's Eureka moment involved a very basic line of reasoning, it seemed like there were a lot of avenues that Mohinder could have worked on while trying to come up with a great idea.

I think it's well-established that Mohinder, for all his scientific genius, is a bit of an idiot.

[

Well, I think she was more worried about yelling at her future alternate reality son from the future after stepping her attempt on killing the other brother.

...Y'know, that's just one of those things where you don't realize how wierd it is until you actually say or type it out loud.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I don't get it... Does Hiro have like the perfect way to hide anything ever? A place that is impossible for anyone except for him to ever reach? I mean, he could just drop it off in a fire, 500 years ago, and he can still go back to that moment to get it back whenever he wants right? Of course, he didn't have enough time (heh) to go do it anyways, so that point is kind of moot. Plus, he was never any good at doing precise time travel.

Also, the Sonic guy and the fire guy had short short features in the comic I think. Sonic guy apparently had webisodes too, but I never saw them

Also, Mohinder is SPIDERMAN!

Edit: Also, I wet myself when I saw that it was Weevil

Also, it turns out I was wrong when I said the sonic guy was the same as the one in the webisodes, they just have the same power. Whoops. Not too sure about the fire guy now either

Also... I should stop saying also
Last edited by Mo0man on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Hiding things in time... the whole show hasn't really figured out what it wants to do with time travel yet. I mean, hero could just go back and tell himself not to open the safe. He had some short reply to ando on it of "I'm not going back in time anymore" or somesuch. Seems like a common theme with Peter's muck-up. Going back is bad. If for no other reason than it is the solution to all of life's little problems and would thus make for a very stupid show.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Yeah I though Mohinder was like spiderman too.

I agree with MiB24601's criticisms, but this season is already beating season 2.

Hiro is pissing me off. If he doesn't want to take Ando with him he shouldn't, I'm pretty sure it was future Hiro that was doing something stupid because people who want to be good like Hiro and Peter tend to be naive and end up being bad guys. Peter should be killed.

I was happy West did not appear and am glad that Niki is still alive because she is a favorite of mine. I'm wondering about Micah though. I'm glad that they answered who shot Nathan right away too.

... that's it for now.
I unfortunately watched it with people who want to make the premiere a special event. When I'm watching something I haven't watched before the only time we should be talking is during commercials. I'm going to see if there is a thread for me to vent this frustration more, but people shouldn't talk over the show and then ask me what is going on when they have been there the whole time and also get mad at me for being anti-social.

Lumpy wrote:I'm at least glad that they at least changed Sylar killing people and taking their brains a little bit. There were parts that felt like cop-outs and cliches, but I think the worst was the gratuitous gore. I decided to drop watching The Big Bang Theory for watching Heroes instead, though.

For me they come on at different times. I don't super-love Big Bang Theory, but There is no way I'd miss HIMYM for Heroes. Anyways I guess I'm lucky TBBT and HIMYM come on from 7-8 so I don't have to miss it.
Last edited by Hammer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Gallus

Postby Gallus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Also, Mohinder is SPIDERMAN Beast from X-Men!
Think about it, they're both highly intelligent scientists, they both have the same super powers, they both have similar hair-cuts and, with the lighting of Mohinder's lab, they both have blue-toned skin/fur.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Gallus wrote:
Mo0man wrote:Also, Mohinder is SPIDERMAN Beast from X-Men!
Think about it, they're both highly intelligent scientists, they both have the same super powers, they both have similar hair-cuts and, with the lighting of Mohinder's lab, they both have blue-toned skin/fur.

Plus, Mohinder and Beast both changed themselves using a formula they created themselves. (Beast was a mutant before he took the formula but the formula caused him to be covered in blue fur.)
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”