Cobra Kai (Is that a rattlesnake?)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

maybeagnostic

Cobra Kai (Is that a rattlesnake?)

Postby maybeagnostic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 am UTC

This series was a rather pleasant surprise. I haven't seen The Karate Kid since I was a kid myself and I never saw the remake so I am not much of a fan but I think they did a great job of balancing homage with developing the story in new ways. They got both original actors (Ralf Macchio and William Zabka) and the basic premise is to look at their lives 30 years later. Johnny (the bully) reopens the Cobra Kai dojo and starts training his new students with the same very aggressive mentality from the original movie then everything ends with the same kind of "injured nice kid fighting an aggressive bully for the karate championship finals" so on the surface its almost a soft remake. Where the show really shines is that it gives a lot of thought and attention to the personalities and emotions of all its characters, some of them are assholes but no one is a bad guy and everyone makes mistakes and has genuine struggles. I was fairly surprised with the direction the season took in the end and I'll definitely check out the next season when it comes out.

So, yeah, if this kind of thing sounds at all interesting to you, I wholeheartedly recommend the show.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

speising

Re: Cobra Kai (Is that a rattlesnake?)

Postby speising » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am UTC

Directed by Barney Stinson?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”