True Detective

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Asmodieus
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm UTC
Location: Ardis
Contact:

True Detective

Postby Asmodieus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:27 am UTC

I just finished watching the first season and I was wondering if anyone else had seen it.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

A quick description of the opening premise is that two homicide detectives in Louisiana begin investigating a strange, ritualistic murder. Naturally, it goes deeper than anyone really expects.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

Kiljori
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

Re: True Detective

Postby Kiljori » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

I have only seen episodes 1 and 2 of season 1, but I would agree with your assessment that it is fantastic. Thank you for not spoiling the plot. As I am catching up on season 1, I am also watching season 2 as it comes out. Both seasons are riveting!

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: True Detective

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:17 am UTC

I was quite impressed that a newcoming producer managed to get a hold of such big ticket talent. I'm also glad Nic Pizzolato has opted to give TV critics the finger.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: True Detective

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 am UTC

Lucrece wrote: I'm also glad Nic Pizzolato has opted to give TV critics the finger.


How so?

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: True Detective

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:45 am UTC

He responded directly via an interview with THR

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/true-detectives-nic-pizzolatto-season-723406

Stated he was not in the service industry when making his art. A lot of the critics, particularly the one from The New Yorker, just wanted to bring identity politics into an evaluation of the show. I hate tokenism, so I prefer when showrunners include representations that come to them naturally instead of the situation Lena Dunham had where people were criticizing her show about a girl in New York just because the friend circle was all white, which is actually hardly an uncommon occurrence.

This whole diversity quota as a TV criticism is just terrible. What we end up with are barely there gay characters, often sanitized and relegated to side roles with quick resolutions in the name of "diversity". Or this whole string of "strong, powerful and beautiful/sexy female" caricature as if women didn't come in different personalities that deserved a place in storytelling, be it shy, brash, cowardly, confident, strong, weak, etc.

Better than criticizing artists for telling stories they're interested about, a better way to achieve diversity is by bringing in diversity of storytellers. Get more gay/female/racial/ethnic minority directors, writers, and producers in the industry.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: True Detective

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am UTC

Thanks for that interview

Lucrece wrote:Stated he was not in the service industry when making his art. A lot of the critics, particularly the one from The New Yorker, just wanted to bring identity politics into an evaluation of the show. I hate tokenism, so I prefer when showrunners include representations that come to them naturally instead of the situation Lena Dunham had where people were criticizing her show about a girl in New York just because the friend circle was all white, which is actually hardly an uncommon occurrence.


Yeah, that's quite ridiculous. I hate it when they include characters which are just there to be Basically Decent.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: True Detective

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

The critics tried the same identity politics crap with Daenerys Targaryen as a "white savior" on the Mhysa episode, when Daenerys is basically albino, the most obvious and politically powerless minority in the show given her people are down to her and maybe some hidden bastards around, and those she saved in the episodes weren't just "brown" people since the ethnic make up of those cities is demonstrably mixed and they all occupy the social ladders without indication of racial difference.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests