Birdman

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PolakoVoador

Birdman

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

Watched this weekend, and really liked it.

Claustrophobic as hell most of the time, and as meta as possible.

Spoiler:
You have a actor playing an actor, who stars in a play which reflects the plot, which, in turn, reflects the career of some of the real actors. Not sure if this needed to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry.

ArgonV

Re: Birdman

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

Really? A friend told me this was a brilliant film and wanted to watch it. I asked him to turn it off 30 minutes in. It was supposed to be a comedy, but I didn't find it funny at all. And the jazz drum soundtrack was incredibly annoying.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:37 pm UTC

I thought it was pretty funny, and I loved the soundtrack (and I'm no jazz fan). It isn't as clever as it thinks it is and it doesn't deserve to win Best Picture/Best Director over Boyhood this weekend (which it probably will do), but I'll take a film that's funny and up its own arse a bit over a film that's relentlessly dour and up its own arse a lot (e.g. Inarritu's last few films) any day.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:34 am UTC

It's not that good of a movie (3/5 if I am feeling generous), but I liked Edward Norton's performance in it. The two issues that really disconnected me from the movie was how ridiculous the fantasies of the main character was and how meaningless everything was. Almost nothing in that movie is motivated by passion and love, and nothing resonates meaningfully with me. It's basically showing you how meaningless this guy's life is, and it's like... yeah, it's pretty meaningless. Why do I care?
Last edited by infernovia on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

chad23

Postby chad23 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:02 pm UTC

Well, I enjoyed the film and how actors played. And I think that Birdman deserves Oscar - you need to bear in mind that jury consists of actors, directors and other people involved in filmmaking. And from that filmmaking point of view Birdman is a brilliant work.

Logological

Postby Logological » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

For the first half hour or so I felt something was strange with the cinematography, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then once I realized that they were doing everything in one continuous shot (or simulating it), the gimmick got distracting as hell, and it's all I could think about for the rest of the movie. Russian Ark had the same issue, but at least they were upfront about the one-shot thing, and actually pulled it off without CGI trickery. With Birdman I couldn't help but look out for the seams.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

I watched the movie on the plane during a returning trip from vacation. Or rather, I watched the first 30 minutes of it. It was not a bad movie, but it was the most unenjoyable movie I have seen in a very very long time. I simply could not bring myself to sit through it.

Then I switched to How to train a dragon 2.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

The one shot gimmick was kinda pointless. I don't understand why they kept that in the movie, maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it really added anything to the narrative. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie though. I thought it was really funny and I dug the drum tracks. I didn't like the romance that Norton had with Emma Stone though, it felt so... nothing.

infernovia wrote:It's not that good of a movie (3/5 if I am feeling generous), but I liked Edward Norton's performance in it. The two issues that really disconnected me from the movie was his ridiculous the fantasies of the main character was making it hard to relate and how meaningless everything was. Almost nothing in that movie is motivated by passion and love, and nothing resonates meaningfully with me. It's basically showing you how meaningless this guy's life is, and it's like... yeah, it's pretty meaningless. Why do I care?

Spoiler:
It was because of that meaninglessness that the movie resonated with me. This washed up, bitter actor is trying to be an artist with integrity but no one respects him as an artist because he sold out and did Birdman. He's trying to do away with his Birdman persona while secretly loving it. When he finally does get the sort of fame and respect he thought he deserved, he realized it's all a joke anyway. I feel like it says more about the way you look at something, the whole "you can make heaven of hell and hell of heaven" thing.

A movie that made me feel the same way you did in regards to the main character was Taxi Driver. I hated the main character and his fantasies and I just didn't care for the message.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:28 am UTC

@Asmodieus

Well said. But I would be much happier if he went with "yeah, this is bullshit. I am going back to making movies."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 am UTC

I actually didn't grasp the one-shot thing, and if you'd asked me right afterwards I would have said they'd cut on numerous occasions.

It's definitely an acquired taste (maybe I've done my share of theatre) and it certainly feels more than a little contrived. If one cannot get past that, then the performances alone will not save it.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”