Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Minerva

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Postby Minerva » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 am UTC

So, this has started up. What do we think?

It seems to remain closely faithful to the original Cosmos, but obviously there are some new facts that will be updated, eg. we know for a fact that Sagan's speculative ideas were spot on, and there are rivers and lakes of simple hydrocarbons on Titan.

There's a strange juxtaposition between the whiz-bang Star Trek style CGI effects and the animation scenes.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

WilliamTheConqueror

Re: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

I'm really digging the animated segment they had about Bruno. And everything else, actually. It's pretty cool.

I'm really excited to see more of this - I dunno if I can wait a week. :D
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 am UTC

I'm really digging the animated history bits. Especially since they've been much better than the usual origin stories / mythology of science. Bits and pieces from outside the typical mythology of science (history from China and the Islamic Renaissance, not just the usual British suspects.)

It's got a real positive angle on the reverence of science, the wonder of the way things are.

My partner and I have had almost weekly conversations - long meandering conversations - late into the night sparked by the show, can't ask for more than that.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

YTPrenewed

Postby YTPrenewed » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

I haven't gotten around to Neil Degrasse Tyson's series yet, but I did like Carl Sagan's series. Enough to have marked the day it would be the 35th anniversary (a couple days ago) of the premiere, and made a YTP about it on that day accordingly.

Do you think we could make this a general thread about both Cosmos shows? I suppose the alternative is to have a thread about each, but I figure it's best to discuss both shows and any comparisons between the two all in the same thread.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”