The Dark Tower (2017)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cephalopod9

The Dark Tower (2017)

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:36 am UTC

I don't know how I feel about this one!

It's scheduled for release in early August, and the casting is really good and it looks cool, but it's been in pre-production for ages and it's being made by Sony.

I'm going to ramble about it now

I'm 8,000% on board with Idris Elba as an Arthurian knight mixed with an American gunslinger and also everyone's dad. McConaughey works as Randall Flagg. Have you seen the Lincoln commercials?

Most everything else I know about movies tells me not to expect this to be a good movie. Steven King really isn't that cinematic. His writing is really vivid, and engrossing, but it's not really made of stuff that makes sense communicated just with sound and images. The producers and directors seem to all be people who make not-very-accurate adaptations of things. They also don't seem real eager to show this to people. They pushed back the release date to give it's place to Emoji the Movie, and they only jsut put out a trailer last month.

But, That trailer is really cool, and I want to see this movie.

LaserGuy

Re: The Dark Tower (2017)

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 am UTC

FWIW, I would classify this, based on the trailer, as being very loosely inspired by the book series of the same name. I think it would be a stretch to call it an adaptation even.

I like the looks of it, and the feel of it seems okay. But it's one of those things where having less knowledge of the books is probably better.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”