Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Games that aged well (PC)

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:35 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
i like pi wrote:Do you think oblivion will age well?

I would think so, let me hear your opinions.

Well Morrowind's aged pretty well so far (only problem: draw distances)

I think it'll age reasonably well, but not as well as Morrowind. There are limits in what you can mod in Oblivion that aren't there in Morrowind--people are STILL creating new/exciting/innovative stuff with Morrowind, and I don't know how well that's going to work with Oblivion--plus, a lot of really great modders never made the transition over. We will see though.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

That's quite a good point. Hadn't thought of that, even though the last week of me playing that game was going about on a pirate ship bombarding coastal cities and exploring atlantis.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Postby Solid Freeman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

I recently realized that I'm a retro gamer, so the majority of games I have are old ones that have aged exceptionally well. Off the top of my head:

StarCraft
Half-Life (I usually play HL:S just for the awesomeness of the ragdoll physics+HD pack)
Team Fortress
Diablo I/II/Hellfire/LoD
Street Fighter III Third Strike*
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure* (see avatar)
Nox (amazing game that few people have heard of, expansion is freeware)
Marathon Trilogy* (Now freeware and playable on Windows: get it here
Doom 1/2 (I play it on my iPod, though)
Perfect Dark*
Pokemon Silver* (play this on iPod too, but also on computer)
Pharaoh (the version I got came with the Cleopatra expansion on the same CD; make sure to get that if you buy/torrent it)
Sim City 3000
Age of Empires 1 (Yes! It does exist!)
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (dunno if it was on PC, but it still rocks, even better than RotK)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Still a classic, I play it with friends whenever they come over, soundtrack is awesome)
Worms World Party (See above except for the soundtrack bit)
Oregon Trail (any of them)
Probably more...

*Played on an emulator. PM me if you want to know which emulators to get and where to get the ROMs from; I'm pretty sure that ROMs for the above listed games are legal, plus it's near impossible to obtain a copy of them otherwise/
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Myst and Riven! Amazing games, for their time and even now (when was Myst III: Exile made?). I have a sudden urge to replay them now...

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

I never got far in Riven. It was way too hard and before I could take a chunk out of it, it porked my DVD drive.

UbiSoft should make a DS game with the original Myst trilogy on it. It's basically a clipshow with occasional video, I don't think that's too far beyond what the DS is capable of. One screen could have the gameplay, where the other one would have notes, and you could switch screens with R/L.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

I thought there already was one (or was that for PSP?), either way I heard it had a lot of bugs sadly...

Riven was very, very difficult...but still a brilliant game.

Flashh

Postby Flashh » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Starcraft;

with a million dollar industry in Korea (tournaments and such), I'd reckon the game has aged like a fine wine. A lot of people in America still play it, however the game's main emphasis is in Asia and Europe, lol.

Warcraft III;

I reckon since it's 2008, this game deserves to be on this list, ;) Custom game power for the win. Once again, this game is played worldwide in cyber-games alike, and isn't as elitist as Starcraft is. And the campaign is the best I've e'er played, and considering I've played a lot of games... Yeah.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I'm a Blizzard Fanboy.

Quake 3;

Best. FPS. Ever. (next to UT3, shuttup!)

kwub

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

- Tetris, in virtually any iteration, is still the best puzzle game ever made.
- Warcraft 3 is probably the most fun and balanced RTS ever made as far as I'm concerned, and still holds up above everything else that's been released in the years since.
- Little can compare to Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in the PC strategy RPG department. I could play this game for an eternity and never get bored.
- Civilization II. Nothing else need be said.
- In that vein, Master of Magic is still one of the only games to ever give Civilization a run for its money (at least if you can deal with the glitches).
- System Shock 2 is still the best FPS/RPG hybrid around, and one of the scariest PC games I've ever played.
- Alien vs. Predator 2 is one of the most unique and entertaining FPS experiences around, and being able to play as Aliens and Predators in multiplayer is in itself enough to make this title still well worth it. Now if only they could make a sequel that lives up to it.
- I once substituted Rollercoaster Tycoon for food and survived a year.
- I'd recommend Diablo 2 if I didn't think it should be outlawed as a fatally addictive substance.
- If, as has been remarked, you can stomach the aged interface and Aurora engine, both Baldur's Gate titles and Planescape: Torment are some of the finest RPGs ever crafted, with plots and characters nearly unmatched by any games since.
- In that vein, Knights of the Old Republic is what I would consider the best bloody RPG ever made. I cannot comprehend how anyone could not adore this game, but that's just me I suppose.
Last edited by kwub on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

Assuming this hasn't already been mentioned, I find Caesar III still to be highly playable, even if I rarely avail myself of the opportunity.

Also, assuming that this has already been mentioned, I would like to agree with those who have mentioned Starcraft. More for multiplayer games, though.

Finally, there is a reasonably little-known 3D RTS from 1999 called Machines: Wired For War, which I still go back to occasionally out of nostalgia. I find it's still pretty playable.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Is it tragic that when I think of 10 year old games, the ones that pop to mind are FF7 and Castlevania SotN? Those are definitions of classics....Well, SotN held up better than FF7, oh 1997 graphics.

But since we are talking about PC games mostly:
Starcraft (far moreso than WC3...Much as I love WC...there's a reason that everyone plays DotA now....you know, NOT the real game)
D2 for the same reason (the original treadmill, before I paid Blizzard for WoW to do the same thing :-/)
I can still go back and play the Monkey Islands. 1 and 2 aged well, and it's only a matter of time before the Wii or the DS picks up this adventure thing (You listen good, Capcom!)
Deus Ex for a FPS...Fallout 1/2 for the other type of RPG

I'm trying to think of things people haven't mentioned. Cave Story? (looks older then it is though...)

Oh, Space Quest...and Leisure Suit Larry. Those games only got funnier the older I got.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

CrackTheSky

Postby CrackTheSky » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

The Ethos wrote:Is it tragic that when I think of 10 year old games, the ones that pop to mind are FF7 and Castlevania SotN? Those are definitions of classics....Well, SotN held up better than FF7, oh 1997 graphics.

But since we are talking about PC games mostly:

Well, FFVII DID come out for the PC (that's the version I played)...

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I find that certain RPGs tend to age well. However, I think it really is determined by if you've played them when they were "new". Planescape Torment is STILL as good as when it came out, as is Fallout.

Alpha Centauri, and other of Sid M's games have always been fun for me. Half Life, too, but you could just use the Source import for it.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

kwub wrote:- In that vein, Master of Magic is still one of the only games to ever give Civilization a run for its money (at least if you can deal with the glitches).

The patch (which is hard to find these days, but it's out there) fixes every issue I ever came across in the game, turning it into sweet, sweet goodness.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kwub

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
kwub wrote:- In that vein, Master of Magic is still one of the only games to ever give Civilization a run for its money (at least if you can deal with the glitches).

The patch (which is hard to find these days, but it's out there) fixes every issue I ever came across in the game, turning it into sweet, sweet goodness.

I eagerly anticipate the day when PSP DOS emulators gain mouse support, at which point I can relive this incredible classic on the go.
It's a gross injustice that games like Final Fantasy are remade and repackaged tens of thousands of times over while one of the greatest titles of all time sits in dust-covered obscurity on the rotting shelf of forgotten ages past. I would potentially consider murder for the sake of a Master of Magic 2, if such measures would guarantee its birth.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Potentially?

I'd just want to know how many. I mean, I'm comfortable with sacrificing Wyoming on the altar of Microprose should it insure a Master of Magic 2.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kwub

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Potentially?

I'd just want to know how many. I mean, I'm comfortable with sacrificing Wyoming on the altar of Microprose should it insure a Master of Magic 2.

I have considered selling my soul to Satan for such an arrangement, but thus far my every attempt to contact him has been thwarted by unwieldy automatic answering systems which seem utterly incapable of comprehending basic English phraseology regardless of clarity and diction. Inevitably each call to the Hell Hotline winds up as half a day wasted on hold while being subjected to static-imbued strains of "Jesus Take the Wheel" and "Do I Make You Proud," characterized by intermittent courtesy messages voiced by the harpies of the second circle. Invariably, any successful connection results in my pained attempts to comprehend the instructions of a heavily Indian accent on the other end, only to realize that he is repeatedly instructing me to reboot my machine despite my insistence that I have done so no less than fifty times, at which point my volume rises to the point of receiver echo and the voice bids me farewell.

I have considered presented my request to Shiva, but I understand he is less favorable to such soul-binding agreements and more prone to annihilate me upon sight. From what I gather about Molech, he's been rather dormant in the divine smiting business these days, and Yahweh seems to have turned a new leaf with the whole "loving mercy" and "forgiveness of sins" thing (he's been a pussy ever since that whole "Incarnation" deal), at least when it comes to heterosexuals.

Would you happen to know of any other wrathful deities with whom I might inquire regarding the exchange of souls for services?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Hmm. The Great Old Ones don't really offer much in the way of services other than 'first to be eaten'. Try Baron Samedi. Failing that, Loki might be willing to make a deal, but odds are you're gonna get shafted.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

I'd find out as much as I can about the Mithraic mysteries, if I were you. He missed his chance, could've been as big as Jesus.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

kwub

Postby kwub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

As you said, the Great Old Ones are not exactly a viable option if I have intentions of surviving to actually play the game. As for Baron Samedi, I don't buy all his hocus pocus bulshit, and Loki has already had enough opportunity to royally screw me (last I heard he was sipping margaritas in the Caimans and enjoying my hard-earned life savings). As for Mithras, I'm fairly certain that his current [living] worshipping population is minuscule to the effect of leaving him pretty much useless.

I find myself rapidly running out of options. Is anyone perchance aware of Lord Xenu's current whereabouts and state of mortality?
I have no desire to resort to a deal with Dormin (seeing as I lack sufficient time for colossi-collection), and Dormammu is right out. And don't even mention that racist bitch Lolth, I swear I'm never speaking to her again.

Memo

Postby Memo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Has someone mentioned Transport Tycoon Deluxe? I mean, the original is not so good anymore but with the help of TTDpatch and OpenTTD it really recovers its shine.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

*Sigh* I feel so old.
One of my favourite classics is "Bad Company" for Amiga/Atari ST. It was created by Logotron during the very end of the 80's and is a third person shooter with an amazing soundtrack. The game is similar to Space Harrier with the difference that the player can't fly but can instead move forwards and backwards as well as sideways. The game contains a multitude of weapons which can all be upgraded. The characters have different strength and stamina which gives you a nice trade-off between the ability to carry the heaviest weapons and being quick and nimble.

I dust of the old Atari a bit now and then and give it a spin. It is still a great game after all these years.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:I never got far in Riven. It was way too hard and before I could take a chunk out of it, it porked my DVD drive.

UbiSoft should make a DS game with the original Myst trilogy on it. It's basically a clipshow with occasional video, I don't think that's too far beyond what the DS is capable of. One screen could have the gameplay, where the other one would have notes, and you could switch screens with R/L.

They did the original Myst and it sucked ass. I actually wrote a five page paper on how bad it was. The main issues were:

-In order to get the images of Myst onto the DS, they had to dither them to the point that you sometimes can't see buttons due to how bad the image compression is.
-The images are so small that it's often very, very hard to see buttons or letters. The zoom function just gets you this awful pixillated thing which is completely unhelpful.
-The use of the stylus takes away the handy-dandy hand cursor that tells you when something's clickable and something isn't - a cue that I used in all the games to try to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do next.
-The Myst series was all about immersion - this version takes that away by including a menu bar.
-The music, one of the best things about the game, sounds fucking awful. It's sometimes painful to listen to how badly they recompressed the sounds.
-The game glitches VERY badly when it's forced to play some of the videos, sometimes to the point that a few puzzles become harder to solve becuase the video doesn't play or plays badly.
-The game actually crashes when you try to go to Selentic (the rocket ship age) or to K'veer (the end-game age). I've heard that even if you somehow manage to trick the game into letting you go to K'veer, the game crashes even worse when you go to Rime (an Age ported from the full 3d remake to this version).

In other words, it failed miserably. You'd actually be surprised at just how much space those "simple slide shows" take up. It's more than the DS can handle, anyway.

I don't think Myst itself aged too well, but Riven aged beautifully for what it is. Yes, it's just a fiendishly hard puzzle game / interactive film, but it's a very good one (the hideousness of the Fire Marble puzzle aside - anyone who has ever gotten that far in the game should know what I mean). The acting is some of the best I've seen in a video game (and so much more believable, to me, than rendered models trying to talk to you), the backgrounds look good to this day even compared to the crazyness our modern PS3s can get (maybe because they didn't put a bajillion camera filters on it and up the bloom so much that you can't see in an effort to be "edgy". ), and the story, well, the end still makes me cry. Pretty good for a game that came out in 1997. Also, the world is still one of the most beautiful and believable I've ever encountered in a video game - I could honestly believe that Riven and D'ni really DO exist, macguffiny linking books aside. The world just looks so lived-in, and the fact that nobody speaks English except Ghen, Atrus, and Catherine (which makes sense since backstory from other places states that Ghen and Atrus were raised by a woman from Earth, and Catherine learned English from Atrus), the fact that aside from the Linking Books and Firemarbles all the technology is at least loosely based on real technology... yeah.

I'd much rather see a remake of Riven which takes full advantage of the advancements in visual technology we have today than some shitty compression of it to a handheld. The games aren't about the puzzles; they're about trying to immerse you fully in a world that doesn't exist, to transport you to another place and time.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Space Empires IV (November 2000).

I wasn't reading this forum when this thread started, or else I would have. T_T SE4 is WONDERFUL, and I've blown hundreds of hours total on it. I'm working-on-it-but-not-really doing a fantasy mod that involves sailing on the open sea rather than flying through space. The best thing about sprite-based games is that it's way easier to change the graphics. ^_^
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Coin

Postby Coin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

I thought about Lost Vikings (SNES, 1992) earlier today and realised that it has aged very handsomley.
The 2D graphics are beautifull, the story timeless just like the jokes, the puzzles still as clever and the music as pleasing.
I believe I might replay that sometime this summer.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Out of this world/Another World.
Moonstone (I killed that dragon once and felt like a god!)
Carrier Command (but i was shit at it)
North and South (EVERYONE should play this! Multiplayer too.... but alas my rom version always crashes :(
Lemmings 2 The Tribes

jamesmcm

Postby jamesmcm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

Morrowind, Deus Ex, UT99, CS1.6, Half-Life, Thief1/2, Emperor: Battle For Dune, Civ 2, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Theme Hospital, etc..

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

Battletoads because that shit is still hard

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

I agree for Theme Hospital. I played it years after its release (so no nostalgia factor) and really enjoyed it.

I think generally 2D games age much better than 3D games.

But for now I don't play older games because I lack the spare time. I don't even have enough time to play the new games that I'd like to try.
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

markkat

Postby markkat » Sun May 04, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Roller Coaster Tycoon II
MoO. -I don't know why.
I don't know how 5E D&D will be played, but 6E D&D will be played with paper and pencils.
Wayfarers Role-playing Game. -Ye Olde Gaming Companye.

ApologyOfWar

Postby ApologyOfWar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 am UTC

I just bought back The elder scroll 3 morrowind

Still a great game after ages !

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Simcity 2000: Oh sure, it's ugly as hell but it's still incredibly fun from time to time.

Warcraft 2: Much better than Warcraft 3.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3: I play this on a regular basis. Best turn based strategy game ever.
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Starcraft: one of the very few games I can enjoy watching other people play.
Counter-strike: 10 years old and still millions of players.
Diablo II: I come back to it for a few months every year.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Ramirez

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

I put Baldur's Gate back on my PC last night for the first time in several years, and found a mod that allows you to up the resolution (necessary for me since the game doesn't go above 640 x 480 and I can't bring myself to go back to that). I played around for a bit on it and I think anyone who likes fantasy RPGs would be able to enjoy this even now. The gameworld is huge, some of the fights can be a real challenge and the story is brilliant. The graphics look dated obviously, but it still looks very well designed so its not that much of an issue. The same holds true to the sequel and it isn't that mch trouble to get them running on XP (I have on idea about Vista though)

I don't think I can really be bothered to replay the whole thing myself though, but thats just because I know it so well. I got to the Friendly Arm Inn and could visualise pretty much the entire game from there to the end.
Come on, dance for me!

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Tetris
Doom
Hack(NetHack is not aged, it is just cheap sour Noveau wine!)
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

And many others.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Ramirez wrote:I put Baldur's Gate back on my PC last night for the first time in several years, and found a mod that allows you to up the resolution (necessary for me since the game doesn't go above 640 x 480 and I can't bring myself to go back to that). I played around for a bit on it and I think anyone who likes fantasy RPGs would be able to enjoy this even now. The gameworld is huge, some of the fights can be a real challenge and the story is brilliant. The graphics look dated obviously, but it still looks very well designed so its not that much of an issue. The same holds true to the sequel and it isn't that mch trouble to get them running on XP (I have on idea about Vista though)

I don't think I can really be bothered to replay the whole thing myself though, but thats just because I know it so well. I got to the Friendly Arm Inn and could visualise pretty much the entire game from there to the end.
Next step: Do a no-load run. You can save and quit, but if you die, you start from a brand-new character. NetHack style.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Ramirez

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

That really isn't my idea of fun. Even if I did try it, as soon as I died I'd just think "fuck it" and reload.

I'm going to say Red Alert 2 now 've realised how old that is (I could have sworn it wasn't released way back in 2000, but there we go). I played it through again 3 or so years back and its still a pretty solid RTS. I was going to play again more recently but it wouldn't install for some reason.
Come on, dance for me!

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

Thief 1 and 2, very very much....too bad the third one sucked/was dumbed down for Xbox.

Also, <3 Aliens vs. Predator, thought I prefer the first one over the second....screw balance, that game goes for (within the mythos) realism. If you're the Marine in that game, you're just plain SoL.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, anyone else here a fan of One Must Fall 2097? Standard 2D fighting game, but well done, and with giant robots instead of people....and even had "fatalities," of a sort.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

beanjavert

Postby beanjavert » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Half-Life (And, I should say, all the expansion packs except Decay)
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
Thief 1 and 2

Yeah, a lot of these are game's I've found in retrospect, seeing as I wasn't alive (or was just barely) when they were released.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:15 am UTC

Honestly, I think Half Life has aged terribly. As for the others, I can't say.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 am UTC

beanjavert wrote:Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight

Yes! Others I second:
Star Control 2; Master of Orion 2; Alpha Centauri; Masater of Magic; Fallout (&2); System Shock 2; Monkey Island games; Planescape
Civ I & II, Freeciv implements both their rules as rulesets. Also Colonization.
About Dune 2, I'm not so sure how well it has aged... but I definitely recommend Dune (1).
Quest for Glory series
M.A.X (sold with the sequel at gog.com for $6, someone asked)

Septerra Core I do recall was quite fun, as was Moonbase Commander and KOTOR was of course great, but I didn't think they qualify as old games.

Ok, so far I had mentioned Albion, The Dig, Anacreon, and SimEarth (which is the best sim ever period). Also here's some good old RTSes: Z (I think they did a remake but it was not as good as the original), Seven Kingdoms (the sequel was also good, but try the first game first), Dark Reign -- I like it better than Starcraft, also maybe Warwind 2 -- not sure how well it's aged though.
Warhammer 40,000 Final Liberation is a great old TBS.
Noone has mentioned the Myth games? As for space combat sims, Freespace 2 was great.
Two old FPS games: Shadow Warrior -- very fun FPS with the Duke engine. Strife -- the last game using the Doom engine, FPS/RPG hybrid, don't know how well it's aged, though.

EDIT: It just occurred to me Shogun: Total War is old enough, but Rome: Total War kind of surpassed it and is more recent.
EDIT2: :slaps forehead: How could I forget: The original Carmageddon.
Last edited by zombie_monkey on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:58 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”