Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Neal Stephenson wants to make a sword-fighting video game

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 am UTC

It's on Kickstarter if anyone's interested.

This looks extremely awesome so far... Hopefully it'll live up to expectations. Buying the peripheral will be annoying, but that didn't seem to hold back Guitar Hero.

Okita
Staying Alive

Re: Neal Stephenson wants to make a sword-fighting video gam

Postby Okita » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

I can't see the video at work but I hope there's no expected plotline in that game because the ending will basically be ME3 ending.

Also I expect random sex scenes to spice things up.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

Nice gaben cameo.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm UTC

Nice, I have hoped for a good sword fighting game since this kind of controllers came out. I don't think they will have problems with reaching the goal seeing how fast they reached 200k.

GangsterFiction

Re: Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG (Kickstarter)

Postby GangsterFiction » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

It has great potential. For fans of the genre I'd also recommend the interactive fiction novel "Zombie Exodus", where you try to survive a zombie apocalypse. Gripping stuff! I'd post a link but I'm not allowed to yet . . . It should google easily enough though, and you can find the app for it for iOS and Android devices. It should be on Kindle sooner or later, too, but they've not published a release date for that yet.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

General Kickstarter Games Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

I thought I would start up a thread to talk about various game projects on Kickstarter, the theory and practice of making games in this way, and to discuss the progress of the projects. I don't mean to replace the threads on the individual games, but I didn't feel like making a thread all about a tiny game project.

And which project? Cold Fusion - Secular Equilibrium. A SNES-style RPG set in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Currently at $4000 of $15000. What do the good people of XKCD Gaming think of this? I think I'd enjoy the game if it delivered, but I'm not sure I trust the creator to do so.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Enokh

Re: General Kickstarter Games Thread

Postby Enokh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

Have there been any games released -- or betas, even -- that have been funded by Kickstarter?

I think Kickstarter has only been around for a bit (or maybe has only been popular for a bit) so this might not actually be realistic, but it'd still be nice to actually have something to play after hearing about dozens of Kickstarters for amazing-sounding games.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Have there been any games released -- or betas, even -- that have been funded by Kickstarter?

I think Kickstarter has only been around for a bit (or maybe has only been popular for a bit) so this might not actually be realistic, but it'd still be nice to actually have something to play after hearing about dozens of Kickstarters for amazing-sounding games.
FTL (Faster than Light) is in the process of starting up their closed beta (backers only), and has had a playable demo since around the time the Kickstarter opened. A lot of the Kickstarters I've seen/backed have had little more than a tech demo at the time - but as you say, it's a young service.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

A couple of additional games in progress for this:

Dead State - Looks like a game with sort of x-com/rpg mechanics in the theme of zombie survival. Manage a defensible shelter, and the people in it, send groups out to scavenge for supplies, etc.

Clang - Neil Stephenson is making a swordfighting game, focusing on controls and depth. Worth looking at for the kickstarter videos if nothing else. :)

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

The Banner Saga looks interesting, that was Kickstarter-ed. Run by some ex-BioWare employees presumably looking to atone for SWTOR.

http://stoicstudio.com/about.html
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

savanik

Postby savanik » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Have there been any games released -- or betas, even -- that have been funded by Kickstarter?

Faster Than Light just released their beta this week after having been successfully funded in April. Btw, the game is very awesome, starts easy, and really ramps up the difficulty towards the end. I think it's more intended to be one of those games where it's more about the journey, not necessarily the horrible, horrifying end of your entire crew dying as fire spreads through the ship, or is blown to bits by pirate missiles, or bombarded by asteroids, lost to a solar flare, boarded by slavers... and those are just the way MY games have ended. :)

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

This is a good point. I think that the buzz around kickstarter that's currently going on is eventually going to cool off - but when the first games start coming out that'll change.

However, this (cooling off) definitely won't happen for the games/other projects launched by big-name people. This platform is a great way for social capital to be leveraged into actual capital.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

A Spirit of the Century board game recently started.

For those of you unfamiliar with Spirit of The Century, it is a RPG using the Fate system about the Century Club, a group of people who are born at the turn of the century and are destined for great things in the century to come. It is filled with pulp style adventure.
418 I'm a teapot

darkwombat

Re: Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG (Kickstarter)

Postby darkwombat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

Just an update to mention that Dead State is now fully funded and has 12 days left to hit some stretch goals! Dead State, Xenonauts, Wasteland 2, X-COM: Enemy Unknown -- it's a good time to be a fan of squad based, turn based combat. My inner gamer is doing a happy dance. :D

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am UTC

Well, that Cold Fusion kickstarter I mentioned at the start just failed. I donated, but I guess that enough other people also doubted the ability of the creator to do the project (I think that there would be a market out there).

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Well, that Cold Fusion kickstarter I mentioned at the start just failed. I donated, but I guess that enough other people also doubted the ability of the creator to do the project (I think that there would be a market out there).

Looked at that now, and not even remotely surprised it failed. Incredibly niche, with unremarkable graphics and gameplay features, and no notable design, programming or art talent mentioned. I really don't think that many people are looking for amateur old-school RPGs to be made, and I definitely doubt that it would have finished even if they did get the funding.

Very excited for FTL though. I didn't back (it had already far exceeded it's goal at the time, so I didn't see the point), but I played the alpha and loved it. It was already pretty polished then (as far as alphas go), so I can't wait to see how the final game turns out.

Jack21222

Re: Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG (Kickstarter 100%fun

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:30 am UTC

I threw in my 15 dollars. I'm really excited about both this [edit: Dead State] and the X-COM remake.

(Editing to reflect the merger with the general thread.)
Last edited by Jack21222 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 am UTC

I'll throw in a plug for the new campaign to get the excellent Rogue-like game Ancient Domains of Mystery back in development.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

Double post necro to say that it got founded. The video updates are quite good. I hope they are as good at making the game.
Edit: that was referring to the " Neal Stephenson wants to make a sword-fighting video game" thread. Though I guess that is in my post title

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

To be honest the more I've seen of the Clang game mechanics, the more amount of sense it has made. Whether this translates into a good game I don't know, but it doesn't look like it'll fail to produce a workable game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:10 am UTC

Some of you may be familiar with a rather ancient DOS game known at Jetpack, which was released as freeware quite some time ago. The original author has been toying with a sequel for twenty years, and has decided to launch a kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ade ... k?ref=live

Soralin

Ouya: Android-based open gaming console kickstarter.

Postby Soralin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 am UTC

There's an android-based open gaming console being developed, Ouya, that's picked up quite a bit of attention. Open gaming/app development, usb ports/bluetooth for additional hardware, rootable, etc:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console

It's been up for about 13 hours or so now, and has picked up over $1.7 million. :)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:55 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Some of you may be familiar with a rather ancient DOS game known at Jetpack, which was released as freeware quite some time ago. The original author has been toying with a sequel for twenty years, and has decided to launch a kickstarter.

Is there any connection to Jetpack Santa? That was an awesome game.

On a larger scale, there's a $100 Android console that looks very interesting - they're promising every game will have a way to try before you buy, all the general developer kits are already spoken for, and even if the game side is a flop it looks like a cheap, fairly powerful, and highly hackable box.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Some of you may be familiar with a rather ancient DOS game known at Jetpack, which was released as freeware quite some time ago. The original author has been toying with a sequel for twenty years, and has decided to launch a kickstarter.

I fondly remember playing the original as one of the first PC games I owned, would love to find a copy that works on modern computers.

His sequel though, doesn't really look like anything special, I dont' really understand it I guess. The graphics are miles worse than the original IMO, and I didn't see anything new or interesting that couldn't have been done in the original either. I could be wrong though, maybe it will be brilliant, hard to tell at this point.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:I fondly remember playing the original as one of the first PC games I owned, would love to find a copy that works on modern computers.
It works just fine in DOSBox, if I'm not mistaken.

Ryom

Defense Grid 2 (Kickstarter)

Postby Ryom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 am UTC

Hornet at HardOCP wrote:The developers of Hidden Path Entertainment have started a rather interesting Kickstarter project, with the ultimate goal of making Defense Grid 2, in addition to many new contents for the original Defense Grid too (new content, new engine remake, map editor, multiplayer). Its like getting 2 new games. :D

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

The base goal is to raise 250k. But the ultimate goal is to reach 1 million to make Defense Grid 2 in a much shorter time frame (more on this later).

Here's how it works:
$250k - Defense Grid: Containment DLC
$500k - New engine for DG2, and DG1 remake, all with multiplayer co-op feature.
$750k - Level editors, additional platofmrs (Linux, Mac)
$1 mil - A full Defense Grid 2 with all mentioned features.

You're getting all of that for only $15. Of course more will always help the project reach Defense Grid 2 sooner, and with all mentioned features.
Exactly what do I get for a $15 pledge? Do I get DG2 if we cross $1m raised?

Yes, for a $15 pledge, you get any digital game content we are able to make with the money raised. If we raise $250k, then you'll get DG:Containment. If we raise $500k, you'll get DG:Containment and the remastered DG1 with multiplayer. If we raise $750k, you'll get DG:Containment, the remastered DG1 with multiplayer, the level editor, and Mac & Linux versions. If we raise $1m you'll get DG:Containment & DG2 for sure, and the community can vote on whether they want us to have us make a remastered DG1 with multiplayer, level editor and Mac & Linux, or just put those resources towards a larger DG2 which will also have multiplayer, level editor and Mac and Linux.

What happens if they don't reach the extended 1 million dollars goal:
Exactly what do I get for a $15 pledge? Do I get DG2 if we cross $1m raised?

Yes, for a $15 pledge, you get any digital game content we are able to make with the money raised. If we raise $250k, then you'll get DG:Containment. If we raise $500k, you'll get DG:Containment and the remastered DG1 with multiplayer. If we raise $750k, you'll get DG:Containment, the remastered DG1 with multiplayer, the level editor, and Mac & Linux versions. If we raise $1m you'll get DG:Containment & DG2 for sure, and the community can vote on whether they want us to have us make a remastered DG1 with multiplayer, level editor and Mac & Linux, or just put those resources towards a larger DG2 which will also have multiplayer, level editor and Mac and Linux.

Ultimately, I hope we'll reach all the goal, and we can have Defense Grid 2 next year, along with all the features such as level editor and multiplayer. That would be amazing.:)

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Defense Grid 2 (Kickstarter)

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 am UTC

BACKED.

Defense Grid is the best TD-genre game I've ever played. *Extremely* well-balanced, and a very well-tuned difficulty curve. They absolutely deserve my money.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

bigglesworth

Re: Kickstarter Thread. Everything Goes Here.

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

For those who like Shadowrun, they've released a wallpaper for your delectation.

Also, Star Command is returning to Kickstarter in order to fund the PC version of the game. I thought it looked interesting the first time, but ignored it because I don't own any iOS devices.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:

Is there any connection to Jetpack Santa? That was an awesome game.

On a larger scale, there's a $100 Android console that looks very interesting - they're promising every game will have a way to try before you buy, all the general developer kits are already spoken for, and even if the game side is a flop it looks like a cheap, fairly powerful, and highly hackable box.

i've thrown in $10 for that, although if I have the money closer to the funding date I might up it to get a console $99 + $20 int. shipping only works out as about £77, and I've spent more than that on single movies or single games in the past.... :|

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Ouya: Android-based open gaming console kickstarter.

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

Soralin wrote:There's an android-based open gaming console being developed, Ouya, that's picked up quite a bit of attention. Open gaming/app development, usb ports/bluetooth for additional hardware, rootable, etc:

It's been up for about 13 hours or so now, and has picked up over $1.7 million. :)

Color me skeptical

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -with-ouya

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... uld-be-ske
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Soralin wrote:There's an android-based open gaming console being developed, Ouya, that's picked up quite a bit of attention. Open gaming/app development, usb ports/bluetooth for additional hardware, rootable, etc:

Color me skeptical

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -with-ouya

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... uld-be-ske

The "free to play" part is quite misleading. Well it's nothing that I would use, so I wouldn't pledge anyway.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 am UTC

Ah, good, I'm not the only one who thought most of that when i read the kickstarter page.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

Here's a board game Kickstarter I've had my eyes on. It's from the guys that did the Spirit of the Century role-playing game. So a pulpy-adventure styled board game. I've got a couple of Evil Hat's rpg's and the quality & style has never disappointed. I expect the same from the board game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evi ... rytm-board
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Cubethulhu

Postby Cubethulhu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Star Command - Well I just funded this game. Essentially Faster-Then-Light with a bit more to look at. Its at 59,671 out of 100,000 and it has 20 days so I think it will just squeak past the finish line. I personally can't wait for this game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sta ... -space-adv

Partia: The Broken Lineage - A game similar in design to the old Fire Emblem games for your iOS devices. I can dig it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/def ... ef=history

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 am UTC

Castle Story looks interesting:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902 ... stle-story

Sort of a strategy game where you can build up buildings brick by brick, and defend them, gather resources, mine out areas, etc. on a set of floating islands. Watch the video on the page to get the idea of it. :)

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

That game looks amazing. And near-ish to completion. I got a good laugh out of how they got a little over four times what they asked for, too.

It looks like what I'd imagine Dwarf Fortress would play like, having never really played DF. It's castles instead of caverns, but still.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Ouya is going to be such a spectacular failure. I can't wait.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

I really hope not. I mean, I'm partially expecting it to just because it's so rare for a new player in the console market to make it, but if it succeeds it could be hugely disruptive. And when was the last time we had something truly disruptive in the console industry? When we got online multiplayer?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Now that OnLive is on board, it might have a chance of scraping by, I think.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

Planetary Annihilation:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

It's an rts across multiple planets in a system, with a rather impressive concept video. :)

Return to “Gaming”