Assassin's Creed 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Quizatzhaderac

Re: Assassin's Creed 3

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:It's easier than that. Hide spikes in all the hay piles, then you kill the ones that look too. Granted, they may just be sucked into the hayvoid and become harmless
Or needles, I hear those are hard to find in haystacks.

eculc wrote:even easier: just outright kill anyone on the rooftops. It's not like anyone uses them as a means of travel besides the assassins anyways.

Alternatively, kill anyone wearing a white hoodie.
I haven't started three yet, but that's exactly what the archers in the other games do.

As an aside, in the wheel of time book series, they do kill anyone wearing a hood; as they have issues with faceless, hooded, humanoid monsters.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

well, the guards will shoot at you if you stay within their detection range and sightline long enough, but I mean in the sense that there's no waiting period. as soon as you see someone on the rooftop, shoot to kill.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

I already don't like the lethal force that gets issue with threat level 0 on. Instant firing at anybody on a rooftop with no heightened awareness? That's getting rather silly. Maybe not as silly as even HAVING guards on the rooftops though. Dumb. I liked the rock throwing civilians (get off my roof!) and guards that would respond to civilian unrest in the previous games over the more recent few games with their silly guard placement and completely scenery civilians. There are definately tweaks between AC1 and AC3 that have picked up at various points. I have to say that I like and dislike equal portions of them.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Yeah, it seems ubisoft has seen the (IMO unnecessary) need to "dumb down" many parts of the game, such as removing an actual health system, armor, multiple types of shops, the ability to accidentally desync yourself by stabbing a bunch of civilians...Or maybe it's just to make up for that god-awful-confusing new economy menu they have.

I also don't like how there aren't enough synchronization points to reveal the entire map; It seems there's a LOT of unexplored terrain to look through to find all the collectibles, which is why I've bought some of the maps already.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

eculc wrote:the ability to accidentally desync yourself by stabbing a bunch of civilians...
Maybe Connor was actually quite ok with killing civvies? :P

Though I must admit I hadn't bothered to try...

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

no, you can't kill anyone that isn't an enemy (or an animal to be hunted) anymore. you can't even shoot unless it's at an enemy (or again an animal to be hunted) or a barrel of gunpowder, and that only with a gun (no bowsniping gunpowder, which I guess sort of makes sense). I have occasionally managed to kill someone's pet goat a few times though. I think if you counter-kill an enemy you can attack domestic animals as part of your killstreak.

speaking of which, they definitely made it easier to get kill combos going after countering, though there are some enemies that have to be attacked in certain ways (i.e. you have to disarm them before you can kill them or they'll just block your attacks and slap you in the face). the timing is a bit easier to manage, I suspect because the window to select your next target has been expanded.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Rope dart them to the ground and then stab them while they're down. Also, you can go into aim mode to kill civilians and pets with the hidden blade.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

Yeah, you can absolutely still kill civilians and animals, they've just made it harder to do so unintentionally.

Or harder to do so intentionally, it seems, for people who never bother to figure out how aim mode works.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am UTC

or, in my case, harder to do without actually putting in enough effort to discover you can aim at civilians to kill them.

in either case, it's not a big deal that they've made it slightly more difficult to kill random people. I mean, that was never really the point of the game anyways (unless you're one of my friends that thinks AC1 was the best because they didn't punish you for doing just that)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Stabbing a civilian has the same mechanical consequence as being stabbed, so I wouldn't say you weren't punished. Though there were a few circumstances where attacking a civilian was the best way to accomplish your objective.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 am UTC

So apparently you desync if you don't skin animals you kill. Not sure exactly how many it takes to trigger this, but I think its 3-4.

Also, finished the game. Yahtzee is right though, for an Assassin's Creed game there was a whole lot of not assassinating going on. And I just skipped the crafting system altogether after looking at it once or twice. I think Brotherhood was still the best, but 3 was pretty good.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am UTC

When does the game get fun to play? I've been playing for several hours now, and am still basically just playing tutorials, or walking for thirty seconds to another two minute cut-scene. It's starting to grate, and making me not want to play. Currently part-way through Sequence Five.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

the beginning of sequence 6 is when you get access to all your nifty sandbox mechanics to fool around with and you get a chance to really start playing.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am UTC

eculc wrote:the beginning of sequence 6 is when you get access to all your nifty sandbox mechanics to fool around with and you get a chance to really start playing.

ty, I'll keep battlling then, since I'm almost there.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:It's easier than that. Hide spikes in all the hay piles, then you kill the ones that look too. Granted, they may just be sucked into the hayvoid and become harmless.
It occured to me that if you boobie trapped the hay stacks they'd appear red instead of blue in assassin-o-vision.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Jesus H Christ convoys are buggy in this game.

I attack a convoy. Kill the red coats. "Loot the convoy" it says. I'm teleported into a horse. I can't move. After a few minutes of trying to glitch out, I'm teleported into the sky.

2012-12-21_00001.jpg

I leave the animus, and enter again. Back on terra firma. Yay! Another convoy is spawned, I try again, thinking it was probably just a weird one off bug. I kill 2 red coats, and then the encounter just vanishes.

Wtf

eculc wrote:Yeah, it seems ubisoft has seen the (IMO unnecessary) need to "dumb down" many parts of the game, such as removing an actual health system, armor, multiple types of shops, the ability to accidentally desync yourself by stabbing a bunch of civilians...Or maybe it's just to make up for that god-awful-confusing new economy menu they have.

I agree with ubisoft's decision to remove most of this stuff. Older AC games were some of the most frustratingly flow-breaking games I've ever played. Accidentally double assassinating civilians when fighting guards (causing instant desync) drove me nuts. Non-regenerating health is another stupid thing. You never didn't have the money to buy health potions, but you could only carry 5, so you had to waste a ton of time trying to find a doctor between missions.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Alright I finally beat this game. Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
Did I miss something? The end of the game didn't make any goddamn sense to me. Juno seems to essentially want the same thing as the Templars: peace and order at any cost. Why would Desmond look at the two options and go "Oh yeah, a reborn god-like being with the ability and stated intent to rule the entire world with an iron fist. That sounds like a great idea, let me sacrifice my life for this." If I'd had the choice, I would have said "Fuck you, Juno, and fuck the world, we're starting over." I don't see how his choice is at all compatible with the philosophy of the Assassin order.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Eseell wrote:Alright I finally beat this game. Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
Did I miss something? The end of the game didn't make any goddamn sense to me. Juno seems to essentially want the same thing as the Templars: peace and order at any cost. Why would Desmond look at the two options and go "Oh yeah, a reborn god-like being with the ability and stated intent to rule the entire world with an iron fist. That sounds like a great idea, let me sacrifice my life for this." If I'd had the choice, I would have said "Fuck you, Juno, and fuck the world, we're starting over." I don't see how his choice is at all compatible with the philosophy of the Assassin order.

Spoiler:
They couldn't have another sequel if the world ended. Now they can have a new game where you look for a way to defeat Juno.

In other words, yes, the ending pissed me off.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 am UTC

Finally got around to playing this.

It's my red dead redemption experiance all over again. Unexpected, but not complaining.

Yellowfisher

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Yellowfisher » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm UTC

Guys, who plays AC Black Flag? Can I buy new ships in the game?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 pm UTC

No, but you can upgrade your own ship; both in terms of offense/defense and in terms of physical frippery.

Return to “Gaming”