Assassin's Creed 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Assassin's Creed 3

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I know it's still like 4.5 months out, but I am *super* looking forward to this one. Even before seeing trailers and gameplay previews (which I guess all came out at E3, or at least I didn't notice them until after that), I was wicked stoked that I'll be able to run around and kill people in 18th century Boston. Given the obvious attention to historical detail that has gone into all the other AC games, free running around a city I know quite well (and whose Revolution-era history I've told students about repeatedly on Freedom Trail trips) should be pretty awesome.

Also, it looks like you'll finally be able to climb around trees and cliffs and such, instead of just impotently hitting and then falling down from things Ezio and Altair should have been able to scale even more easily than all of those improbably tall structures they were jumping from all the time. (Though speaking of tall buildings, one potential disadvantage of playing in 1770s Boston and New York is that I don't think either city had as many high places as Renaissance Italy. I wonder whether they'll just make do with shorter structures, or if they'll exaggerate things for gameplay reasons.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Re: Assassin's Creed 3

Postby eculc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

do want. ever since I read the article about it in game informer, specifically. I hadn't heard much (read: anything) about it up until that point, but now I'm getting to the point where I might start counting the days until release.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

bleh, I guess that means I need to sog through the last AC2 game now in the next 4.5 months. Damnit.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

meh, Revelations was a letdown IMO. especially after coming from brotherood; I know this isn't the place to discuss it, but If you feel like powering through it, just play the main story. the rest probably isn't worth the time, considering how much trouble it is most of the time.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

I'm extraordinarily unexcited about this game, despite being a huge fan of the series. The "AMERICA FUCK YEAH" value is far too high for me. Doubly so because they had a golden opportunity to have a Native American main character who was playing both sides of the Revolution to prolong it indefinitely in order to, at minimum, keep the Americans on the eastern side of the Appalachians. Would have had to do some sort of "fell in love with a white girl" subplot to make the heritage make sense, but whatever. Would have been worth it.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

The Assassins are supposed to be the good guys, so prolonging a war indefinitely is not something we'd reasonably expect from them.

I get the impression from trailers that, while not explicitly playing both sides, he's not terribly concerned with helping the Americans, either. If there are more British Templars than American ones, then sure he coincidentally helps the Americans by assassinating them, but that's not his goal.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

Team America: world police is hard to make a case for before the 20th century IMHO. Exploiting the native population sure, but even that wasn't a central facet of America until the 19th century. I thought everybody loved 18th century America?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

Except for those wars America had with the French, the Indians, and the British, of course...
---

(he/him/his)

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

I also find it amusing that the default assumption is that the game will largely be AMERICA FUCK YEAH, even though it's being developed by a Canadian company...
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

Will wrote:I also find it amusing that the default assumption is that the game will largely be AMERICA FUCK YEAH, even though it's being developed by a Canadian company...

Who assure is that the game is developed by a team of multiple cultures and faiths.

In other news, game looks sick and I can't wait to play it.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

I may need to back up a little bit -- turns out you're playing a Native American. Learned this after looking for the cinematic-and-gameplay trailer I saw that was chock full of the things that made me think it was "America Fuck Yeah" and found a new one. They also made a little addendum to one of the quotes from the first one I saw. "I saw them fight and die in the name of Freedom" and then added "They speak of Liberty and Justice -- but for who?", which changes the tone a bit. I'll have to actually find that other trailer, though, just to grab the quotes that made it feel a bit off.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

Looks cool, i always enjoy just running around in the world in the AC games, Brotherhood especially, and the addition of huge areas of wilderness is very appealing to me. Loving the tree climbing and hanging enemies from trees.

Pretty disappointed that they haven't really changed much about the combat system though. From the trailers it still looks like it's 'sit there and counter while they take turns attacking'. My only hope is that they'll have some sort of difficulty option to ramp up the damage enemies do or somehow make them more deadly. I remember in AC2 and Brotherhood, you could literally set the controller down in the middle of a big fight, and it would take minutes for them to kill you, many times they just couldn't kill you, because when you got to very low health it would regenerate faster than they could damage you.... :?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

I already have this game preordered. It's honestly the only game on my radar right now,
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

It was for me too, until watching some of the other E3 preview stuff. Now I'm thinking I should probably just take a month's vacation starting in the middle of October.
---

(he/him/his)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Yeah, if I actually start watching E3 videos, things might change dramatically.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

I'm trying to play through revelations again. It's just so painful. When did the camera get so stupid? How could they have messed up something like that on the friggin 4th iteration of this engine?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

I don't remember the camera being any different from the others?

At least, other than the first person Desmond sections, which were iffy.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, I know it's still like 4.5 months out, but I am *super* looking forward to this one. Even before seeing trailers and gameplay previews (which I guess all came out at E3, or at least I didn't notice them until after that), I was wicked stoked that I'll be able to run around and kill people in 18th century Boston. Given the obvious attention to historical detail that has gone into all the other AC games, free running around a city I know quite well (and whose Revolution-era history I've told students about repeatedly on Freedom Trail trips) should be pretty awesome.

Also, it looks like you'll finally be able to climb around trees and cliffs and such, instead of just impotently hitting and then falling down from things Ezio and Altair should have been able to scale even more easily than all of those improbably tall structures they were jumping from all the time. (Though speaking of tall buildings, one potential disadvantage of playing in 1770s Boston and New York is that I don't think either city had as many high places as Renaissance Italy. I wonder whether they'll just make do with shorter structures, or if they'll exaggerate things for gameplay reasons.)

Will it still be instantly fatal to fall into water? I could never understand why an elite, highly trained killer, would have such difficulty learning to at least tread water.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Will it still be instantly fatal to fall into water? I could never understand why an elite, highly trained killer, would have such difficulty learning to at least tread water.
Ezio has been able to swim since AC2. Apparently it was just that Altair was hydrophobic or something. :P

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

So how do we think they're going to handle free-masonry? Will all masons be Templars? That's a lot of the founding fathers; none of whom we'd get to kill (timelines are too far off.)

My personal bet is that the masons will be semi-puppets of the Templars. Effectively doing the Templars' work, but for their own reasons. That would also help lend some grey to the American leadership without making it seem like the main bad guys are getting away.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

I always thought the Assassin and Freemason logos were awfully similar. I would guess Assassins and Freemasons are allies or the same thing.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

The freemasons claim to be descendants of the Knights Templar. Like, for realsies. I doubt that's something Ubisoft would overlook.

Also, is this
gmalivuk wrote:Given the obvious attention to historical detail that has gone into all the other AC games

Accurate?

I'm not a historian, but this doesn't seem like the way 16th century Italian soldiers would actually dress. The Assassin's Creed games seem to Rule of Cool a lot of things, especially after the first game.

Also, can I rant about those retarded platforming levels?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

I never said that historical detail was perfectly accurately reflected in the end product. It's just clear that they started out by really doing their research.

(And honestly, I don't much care whether the population of Boston is dressed accurately. I want to run and jump around on the buildings I can see through the window right this very moment.)
---

(he/him/his)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

I guess I'm still a little bitter. I fell out of love with the franchise a bit when they stopped treating it like historical fiction and started treating it like, well, a video game. Those little immersion breaking details really grated on me.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

I honestly hope the Assassins aren't Freemasons, it just doesn't seem coincidental that the logos are nearly identical. I want to kill Englishmen, Colonists, and Frenchmen. In the game.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

I'm tired of killing every non-American in games. I sincerely want to kill lots of Americans.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 am UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:The freemasons claim to be descendants of the Knights Templar. Like, for realsies. I doubt that's something Ubisoft would overlook.

(Speaking as a member of a Masonic group) not many people seriously think there's any direct relationship between the Knights Templar and Masonry. There is a group within Masonry called the Knights Templar, but all it really is is a club-within-a-club for Christian masons that takes some symbols and regalia from the old crusading orders. Nobody actually sees them as a continuation of the original Templar knights. And the IRL Masons really don't fit anywhere with the Assassin/Templar Freedom/Oppression Nihilism/Morality divide set up in the game. If they're represented accurately at all they'll be caught in the middle, if anything.

Also, consider that putting the Masons in with the AC Templars means turning people like George Washington and Benjamin Franklin into bad guys, which really isn't something I'd expect Ubisoft to do.

Spambot5546 wrote:Also, is this
gmalivuk wrote:Given the obvious attention to historical detail that has gone into all the other AC games

Accurate?

I'm not a historian, but this doesn't seem like the way 16th century Italian soldiers would actually dress. The Assassin's Creed games seem to Rule of Cool a lot of things, especially after the first game.
Well, not a lot of guys were that BIG, but the actual design of the armor is pretty accurate. Put that screenshot in front of a military historian who's never played the game and they probably would've guessed Renaissance era, and either northern Italian or southern German. Although the axe is a lot bigger than anything people really fought with... ever.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:I'm tired of killing every non-American in games. I sincerely want to kill lots of Americans.
It's an Assassin's Creed game. You can pretty much kill everyone you want, as long as you space out the civilian murders enough not to desynchronize.
---

(he/him/his)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'm tired of killing every non-American in games. I sincerely want to kill lots of Americans.
It's an Assassin's Creed game. You can pretty much kill everyone you want, as long as you space out the civilian murders enough not to desynchronize.

This is my plan :D

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
cphite wrote:Will it still be instantly fatal to fall into water? I could never understand why an elite, highly trained killer, would have such difficulty learning to at least tread water.
Ezio has been able to swim since AC2. Apparently it was just that Altair was hydrophobic or something. :P

Ah, cool. I've only played the original, and haven't even finished that one yet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft has already said that Templars will be on both sides of the conflict, so killing Americans shouldn't be a concern.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

Yeah, considering they've been on both sides of most real historical conflicts in the other games, I would have been really surprised if all the bad guys were British this time.
---

(he/him/his)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Just to note, I wasn't making a specific point about the Assassin's Creed games, I was just being flippantly British about videogames.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Just to note, I wasn't making a specific point about the Assassin's Creed games, I was just being flippantly British (You can tell, because there weren't any hard R's) about videogames.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

Also the Limies. They've had it far too easy in video games so far. :P
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 am UTC

About to start playing. Interesting that they added exclusive dlc for the PS3. They are bundling it with the new Super Slim PS3.

The bundle:

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:21 am UTC

Still another 22 days till PC. Comes with some bonus missions to make up for it though, I guess... :(

At least, assuming I get the digital delux which has the DLC season pass too which I'm thinking about.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 am UTC

I'm going to be out late-ish tomorrow night, but I'm taking Wednesday off work to make up for it. I replayed all the AC games the other month during my annual post-PAX vacation in anticipation of AC3. Super excited.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 am UTC

Want. Cannot afford. Sadness is my life.

Return to “Gaming”