Super Smash Bros.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

DYRE

Re: Super Smash Bros.

Postby DYRE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

You all are CLEARLY out of your minds.
Lucas is the best character.

That is, he's my favorite. He's not even my best. I'm better with Capt. Falcon, actually.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

I like pokemon trainer a lot. It's fun.
Also Ike and Marth are great, though I miss Roy.
Who else... Snake. I love snake.

Pikachu's powerful as always.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

seriously screw you olimar.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Olimar seems to suck a lot, but I'd like to see someone do something with him.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Gharbad wrote:Olimar seems to suck a lot, but I'd like to see someone do something with him.

you mean like a computer on intense?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:09 am UTC

It's funny, I still haven't plaid Brawl with a living, breathing human being yet. I really gotta connect my Wii to the internet.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:22 am UTC

I hate you all... I really want to play as Marth again T_T.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Olimar seems to suck a lot, but I'd like to see someone do something with him.

What?!?!?oneone!eleven.

Olimar is at least a high tier, and maybe in the top tier. His smash attackes are quite powerful, his priority is very high, and his pikmin, when used properly, are devastating.

The problem lies in the, "used properly." In order to get everything out of him, you have to be able to know exactly when to organize your pikimin, what order they're currently in, what attacks this opens up, etc ... needless to say this requires an incredibly intuitive look at not only your character's current condition, but the whole battlefield in general. So his learning curve is basically vertical, but once you reach the top ... daaaamn you're unstoppable.

Note: This isn't meant to imply I'm the incarnation of god himself with Olimar, but I've played him a lot to try to reach his potential, and watched quite a few advanced gameplay videos made, no doubt, by a 9 year old Korean boy.

Current favorites:
Pit - I still get beat my a level 9 Link though. It's ridiculous.
Olimar - See Above
Lucas - He's like Ness without Ness' weaknesses. Loves it.
-B

P.S I finally hooked my Wii up to WiFi (house isn't wired right to go wired) and maybe it's because I'm in Hawai'i, and therefore 3,000 miles from my nearest mainland competitor, but my lag sucks so bad it feels like I'm playing CS on dial-up again. I'm quite disappointed.
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

First off, your sig is great.

Anyway, I believe you with Olimar, but like you said, the learning curve is vertical, and goes for miles. I've spent two days now strictly playing Olimar, but I still can't seem to keep the damn Pikmin straight. Hopefully that curve levels off soon, because it's frustrating.
Nightwing - Renders sexual innuendo obsolete.

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

DYRE wrote:You all are CLEARLY out of your minds.
Olimar is the best character.

I agree 100%.

Aw, I really wanted to chew you out for that, but ParanoydAndroid and nightwing already did it. :P
Seriously, though, if we exchange friend codes, I will rip you apart with Olimar. RIP YOU APART. Especially if Pit is your main. For some reason, Olimar is better against Pit than anyone else.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Izzhov wrote:For some reason, Olimar is better against Pit than anyone else.

Because Pit is an aerial fighter. Guess what Olimar's best move is? The Pikmin whip.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 am UTC

I'm slightly confused by the incredibe amount of attention Olimar players apparently need to pay to their Pikmin order. I use Olimar on occasion and enjoy it thoroughly, but in my experience I've only needed to watch out for purples and whites, since it seems to me that reds/yellows/blues have roughly equal power/knockback (quite satisfactory knockback, at that). IDK, I'm probably not using him properly at all, but still...

Oh, and Pikmin Chain ftw. ^_^
Insert witty phrase here.

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:39 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:I'm slightly confused by the incredibe amount of attention Olimar players apparently need to pay to their Pikmin order. I use Olimar on occasion and enjoy it thoroughly, but in my experience I've only needed to watch out for purples and whites, since it seems to me that reds/yellows/blues have roughly equal power/knockback (quite satisfactory knockback, at that). IDK, I'm probably not using him properly at all, but still...

Actually... that's about the same level of attention I pay to my Pikmin order. The only other thing you need to watch out for is that the yellow ones fly a bit higher than the others when thrown. Also the red ones are immune to fire, blue immune to water, and so on. Those factors don't usually play too big of a role in my strategy, though.

ParanoidDrone wrote:Oh, and Pikmin Chain ftw. ^_^

Indubitably, good sir!

Flashh

Postby Flashh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:21 am UTC

My main characters right now are Olimar and Lucario.

Playing Olimar is really fun, the only fault I have with him is that his whip is his up B, and although it gives you momentup upwards, sometimes those little bastards don't hook how I want them to, so I end up falling, :'(

And Lucario is a blast to play with, because I feel like I'm living on the edge whenever I'm going up against another opponent with 100%+ damage on myself... Because I know I can tear them up... but they can tear me up just as good. So that's a true test of skill that I put myself through quite frequent. And stopping Snakes rockets with my over-B is neat, too, 8)

So yeah, Olimar and Lucario are my two best fighters. Meta-Knight and Cpt. Falcon come behind, as well as Game and Watch behind them, lol.

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

This might have been mentioned before, but I lack the wherewithal to actually look it up. I've noticed a lot of people hawking Lucario, and I was under the original impression that he was supposed to fill the Mewtwo slot, and since I hated Mewtwo I haven't really given him much of a chance yet. Is he actually that good? What are his main strats? Or do people really just play him more as a novelty?

-B
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:27 am UTC

AUS TBA[3]

T_T I hate Nintendo....
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Izzhov

Postby Izzhov » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:AUS TBA[3]

T_T I hate Nintendo....

Dude, just get Freeloader.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:19 am UTC

The site said wrote:This is the one you’ve all been waiting for! Wii FreeLoader lets you play ANY region of Wii game on a US Nintendo Wii!

Slight flaw.

I'm sure there's an Aussie version somewhere but...
hmmm...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Pit is fun. You can do ridiculous things that would be suicidal any other character due to his (again) ridiculous B up. My best character is still Falco though. I refuse to try Olimar :mrgreen:
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Lord Bob wrote:Pit is fun. You can do ridiculous things that would be suicidal any other character due to his (again) ridiculous B up. My best character is still Falco though. I refuse to try Olimar :mrgreen:
R.O.B.'s up B is better. Imagine the same thing, but you don't go down first if you use it in midair.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Recent observation: All of Meta Knight's specials can be used to recover. </obvious>

And now for an informal poll: What do you think of PK Starstorm? I've heard a bunch of people saying it sucks and that you can avoid it by standing still, but I've had that happen to me...once (out of the metric fuckton of times I've used it/had it used on me), and the rest of the time getting hit by one star (especially at the end) leads to you getting bounced around other stars for an easy 50%ish damage, if not more (and more than likely a KO if you're anywhere above 75%).

Lucas ftw. ^_^

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 am UTC

I'm having real trouble getting good with Meta though. At first, he seemed so cool, with super fast attacks, and crazy combo potential, but he really doesn't have any good air based finishers. I eventually gave up, and now I'm best with Pit, even though he's much less cool

P.S: does anyone else think that there's a lot of crappy new B skills? I mean honestly, a reflective shield on Pit when his side B already spins? The crazy gimped "invis" of meta knight? the five thousand new "eat" skills?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:07 am UTC

But Pit's shield also blocks physical attacks. And if you time it right, it flips around an attacking opponent, a la Mario's Cape. I found this out the hard way when trying to recover with Lucas...

And I agree with Meta Knight's lack of finishers. Though he can easily do a Jigglypuffesque WoP-style kill. I have trouble breaking the habit of not leaving the stage beyond a double-jump's range, though, which makes it rather difficult for yours truly.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Metaknight is really good for Stamina and coin matches though, not that anyone plays those much.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:29 am UTC

Anybody found a use for the water cannons yet? Does no damage, about 2 feet of pushback, and you gotta charge them both.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:22 am UTC

PK Starstorm isn't very easy to dodge at all, and standing still rarely works. My friend who plays Ness is incredibly good at getting the smash ball with his up-B, so I usually have to face it 2-3 times per game.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Anybody found a use for the water cannons yet? Does no damage, about 2 feet of pushback, and you gotta charge them both.

If you mash B for Squirtle's, it'll do about 13%ish damage, but with no range since it's not charged. I hear they're both good for edgeguarding, though. =/

TheAmazingRando wrote:PK Starstorm isn't very easy to dodge at all, and standing still rarely works. My friend who plays Ness is incredibly good at getting the smash ball with his up-B, so I usually have to face it 2-3 times per game.

LOL same here for Lucas, only I'm the PK Thunder whore. (My friend uses Ike and Pit) Me getting the Smash Ball ususally leads to a chorus of colorful language.

And I've actually dodged PK Starstorm before, but I'll agree that it's very difficult and you need a large serving of luck in the first place to hope that you don't get a damn wall of the things above you. I found that Ness's is easier to dodge since it doesn't touch the top corners due to the way it fans out. That and trying to stay offscreen if the stage allows it usually works. =/

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:PK Starstorm isn't very easy to dodge at all, and standing still rarely works. My friend who plays Ness is incredibly good at getting the smash ball with his up-B, so I usually have to face it 2-3 times per game.

I have not played, but from what I see of it it's VERY easy to dodge. Simply shield and dodge.

Unless the shield/dodge mechanic is different in SSBB or if there is something sinister I don't know about Starstorm then there shouldn't be any problem just rolling to the right spots, or even jump dodging.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Unless the shield/dodge mechanic is different in SSBB or if there is something sinister I don't know about Starstorm then there shouldn't be any problem just rolling to the right spots, or even jump dodging.

Would having a metric fuckton of the stars getting thrown at you count as something sinister? <_< Every time I try to dodge I get slammed by another one conveniently in my way.

EDIT: OT, but does anyone know exactly how many stars Ness/Lucas summon with their FS, or if it's even a set number?

maxxrox

Postby maxxrox » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

One might say that the function of Olimar's learning curve is undifferentiable. (Sorry, topic crossover). But really, Metaknight kicks ass.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

i suck at this game. along with everything else i do. i should kill myself. sigh.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I must say, upon further review of the game, I'm not a big fan of the minigames. I don't like the "collect the starship" game, or the "get the super smash ball" game.

I mean, yeah the super smashes are awesome for some characters (snake, pokemon trainer, mario, ness) and horrible for others (not a fan of Wario), but in the end it's kinda swinggy and doesn't add much.

nightwing2024

Postby nightwing2024 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

To whoever said MK doesn't have a aeiral finisher, his Uair is pretty devastating. Hits your foe, raises you up to strike again, (a few attack later, you've racked up damage and are near the ceiling) KABOOM!

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I remember when I thought that there was supposed to be one Smash Ball per match. Wrong. Even on very low items, there's still 3-4 Smash Balls per 3-stock game I play with my friends.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i suck at this game. along with everything else i do. i should kill myself. sigh.

I, too, suck terribly at this game.

But it is fun. My heart belongs to Samus, that sexy little blonde-in-a-can.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Gah,

Why would they give Ness Starstorm? He should be dropping The HammerTM on these punks. (Would have loved to see Omega rendered in 3d)

Edit: Also, would anyone else kill to have a level set inside of Giygas?

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Sonic is actually really good when you've got Smash Balls turned on because he can go ANYWHERE on the stage easily, and his side-A can get in multiple hits on the Ball. Also has a homing dash.

And once you DO get the Smash Ball, everyone else is dead. See sig.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Todays stage is awesome.

I just wish they would take some non-Japanese ones occasionally.

At the beginning of the U.S. release there were the most terribly generic stages from Japan being selected, while many of us Americans were making fun and unique stages. Now, it's a bit better, but still...
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I didn't get today's stage. Mind describing it to me? Or making it in this Stage Builder rip-off?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Gah,

Why would they give Ness Starstorm? He should be dropping The HammerTM on these punks. (Would have loved to see Omega rendered in 3d)

Edit: Also, would anyone else kill to have a level set inside of Giygas?

I believe you fight Pokey at some point... Not sure...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Return to “Gaming”