Super Smash Bros.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Hyphenator

Re: Super Smash Bros.

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

protonics wrote:
The Hyphenator wrote:I just discovered that the last fifth of SSE is the boss fight with Tabuu! A whole fifth! I guess when it said 80% it meant 100%. :evil:

The percentage completed also includes all the golden smash dealies you've collected. I forget what they are used for, but yea you have to get all of those to get 100%, a task that I will never accomplish.

Ohh, got it. Well, back to the SSE for me...
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
Maseiken wrote:
Upsilon wrote:It's worth noting that Brawl is the first game to feature Samus's voice. I believe they did a decent job.

Wait, WHAT!?
You can't give Samus a VOICE!
There was a whole *THING* at the end of Corruption where she was GOING to speak, but chose not to, it was really interesting and funny!

Apparently Brawl is more important than her own games to her... Grah!
She has spoken in text before.

Yeah, In Text... But it was a whole "Thing" In all the Metroid Primes that she didn't talk.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

reishka

Postby reishka » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:28 am UTC

Anyone up to playing a few rounds in an hour or two? I get off work and I feel like playing against someone not-a-bot. (keep in mind that I suck terribly, though)

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

It'd be nice to play against some non-anonymous people sometime. Nobody on my list is ever online so I never get to play any real 1 vs 1. Since the game has come out, I think I've played a total of two "with friends" matches.
Last edited by Nonmus on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...he said, fully erect.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Nonbaka wrote:I'd be nice to play against some non-anonymous people sometime. Nobody on my list is ever online so I never get to play any real 1 vs 1. Since the game has come out, I think I've played a total of two "with friends" matches.

Better than my zero. I suggest you just get together for an offline match.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

That would be more fun. What's a frantic fighting game without friendly trash talking?

It would be nice if there was some way to be notified if one of your friends connects. Instead, we have to do all of the work ourselves. I guess it would be a lot easier if I were ever signed on to AIM.
...he said, fully erect.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn from it's competitors. Specifically, Nintendo really needs to learn from XBox Live.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:11 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn from it's competitors. Specifically, Nintendo really needs to learn from XBox Live.

So everyone can be like "Man Nintendo sucks, they fucking steal ideas from everyone"... fucking haters.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:13 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn from it's competitors. Specifically, Nintendo really needs to learn from XBox Live.

Plus, that's not really exclusive to Nintendo, all three companies could take a lot from eachother (Indeed, they have, but it always gets labelled as theft... sometimes it is, tricky area that...)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Indeed, they have, but it always gets labelled as theft... sometimes it is, tricky area that...

Good artists copy, great artists steal.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I just want a sense-making online service. Mario Kart is better, but not good enough.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

After a recent round of Brawling with Friends I have concluded that Mr Game and Watch is the spectre of the 80's, returned from the endless mists of time to rain his unholy vengance upon the modern world. That, and I finally got to use that oil-bucket of his.

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Anything that can turn itself into an octopus is pretty cool in my eyes. I want to learn how to use G&W, but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to ever selecting him and playing around to get the jist of him.
...he said, fully erect.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 am UTC

That just makes me think: when will we be able to play as Cthulhu in a video game?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:27 am UTC

i only use Game and Watch when i play at my newbestfriendwhohappenstohavebrawl's house.

inb4 615 posts

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri May 09, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:when will we be able to play as Cthulhu in a video game?

They had a game like that, but all the playtesters and devs went insane, so it never got finished.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat May 24, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

This thread was tl;dr, but am I the only one who's noticed that the random character selection is, well, not entirely random? I have a friend who only plays random and it seems to set him up as ROB, DK, Bowser, or De De De as often at not. It seems that just about every other game he's one of those characters.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun May 25, 2008 1:54 am UTC

We've noticed that in our group too, but weren't sure if it was a statistical anomaly or the game playing with us.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun May 25, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Is it just me, or are the controls in Brawl far floatier? The precision and speed of Melee are the main draw for me, but I played Brawl for a good afternoon in various controller configurations at a friend's and never felt that tightness. If I used the GameCube controller, would it feel more like Melee?

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Sun May 25, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:This thread was tl;dr, but am I the only one who's noticed that the random character selection is, well, not entirely random? I have a friend who only plays random and it seems to set him up as ROB, DK, Bowser, or De De De as often at not. It seems that just about every other game he's one of those characters.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Except random also gives Ness/Lucas a lot too, but I'm not sure if that's related to the fact that they're my two most used characters.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Is it just me, or are the controls in Brawl far floatier? The precision and speed of Melee are the main draw for me, but I played Brawl for a good afternoon in various controller configurations at a friend's and never felt that tightness. If I used the GameCube controller, would it feel more like Melee?

It's a little more floaty overall, but using a GC controller does help immensely.

I still don't really have a main character. I love Ike, Wolf, Lucas, and Charizard/Squirtle (no Ivysaur) the most, though.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun May 25, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

My main is Samus.

I hate how they made the Bomb Jump so much less effective.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun May 25, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

I forgot about Samus. And Zelda (not Sheik). They also get my attention, particularly in a stock match with four people. I can then just stand to one side and blast away with ranged attacks.

And I never really used the bomb jump so I didn't notice a nerf.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun May 25, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:My main is Samus.

I hate how they made the Bomb Jump so much less effective.
I'm still sore about the delay they added in Melee to her in-air down punch.

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Mon May 26, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

I was told that random has a higher chance of giving you characters you don't use very much. That made sense to me because it gives me Wario, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong a lot. I NEVER use those characters unless they come up in random.

I can't use Samus for crap. Nothing I do seems to be able to get kills. ZSS, on the other hand, is quite a blast to use. She's fast, has great range, and you can spend the first half of a two minute FFA annoying everybody by chucking your suit at them.
...he said, fully erect.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Nonbaka wrote:I was told that random has a higher chance of giving you characters you don't use very much. That made sense to me because it gives me Wario, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong a lot. I NEVER use those characters unless they come up in random.

So is there a way to keep the game from babysitting you and allow random* character selection (hence the name)?

*Well, pseudorandom at least.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Tue May 27, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I suppose not using names would help. Possibly also just creating a new one. I'm not entirely sure about that though, it's completely a guess.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 am UTC

Getting SSBB today, just came out in Australia!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jetty Smurf

Postby Jetty Smurf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Woot! Finally SSBB came out in Aus and i have my own copy! :D

Skuld

Postby Skuld » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Lucky! Europe has to wait until tomorrow >.<

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Ike is a fucking beast, <3 giant cleaves. I still think I'll main Marth, but Ike just has this huge cool factor.

Edit: First Day, I had a cold, sore throat, and was extremely tired (it was 4am), had really really stiff fingers and sore thumbs from playing all day, but I FINALLY did it.

I got 755m (2477.03412 feet) with Charizard in HRC

Edit2: Apparently you can do better if you mix in bat drops with the shorthop rock smashes. Ah well, I'll try for that later.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 am UTC

GUH! I'd have it by now, but EB won't let you trade in games unless you're 18. So I have to wait 'til this afternoon and go back there with me Mum... I feel so kiddy.

But it will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it.

Skuld

Postby Skuld » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Hah, should have done what I did, i'm registered as 19 (20 in 2 months?!) at CeX :P

Got my Smash Bros, its great, I like Diddy Kong the best so far, too bad I won't be able to play until sunday ;(

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:51 am UTC

My Faves so far are MetaKnight (SO BADASS!)
Pit(So FAST!)
and Dedede (So... so... Dedede...!)

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Yass, a friend and I got it on Friday (release date in UK), played for about eight hours (mainly for unlocks), then we had 6 decent melee players over for a Brawl tournament on Saturday. It is, quite simply, the win - although they seem to have killed Samus somewhat, her fighting style's completely changed (especially if smash balls are on). Oh, and they went and gave Falco and Fox, widely regarded to be two of the best characters in Melee, the most overkill final smashes in the game. But onto the good points:

No fucking up-jump, you can turn it off. I can't stand up-jump, it makes me useless at strong up attacks.
You can save snapshots while in-game if you pause.
Marth's standard B-attack is improved greatly, as he could catch anyone who was off the stage quite easily by just sitting and charging it at the edge (it had a huge sweep with the sword in Melee). This pissed me off as well.

On characters: I love Ike, he's probably going to become my main character in Brawl, although I never did like Marth or Roy in Melee... he's got a great variety of moves, including a great pair of recoveries, plus that counter and final smash.
Kirby's still really good (yes, I like Kirby. I can combo quite well with him), although his final smash could be a lot more powerful without being overkill... especially if you play without any items but smash balls (which we usually do, as the rest just get in the way and make the match really unfair - yes, smash balls do that too, but I have friends who for some reason like them... maybe this is partly explained by the fact that one of them plays as Falco :/ ).

Oh, and on Ike's final smash: Anyone else notice that it's pretty much identical to "Lion Heart", Squall's final limit in FFVIII? But then again, it's just following the laws of anime physics, isn't it?
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Yeah I love that I can turn up jump off.

Also you can set the c-stick to attacks so you can use it to do tilts.

I'm probably going to main lucario since he is the only really TRUE combo friendly character in Brawl.

I liked ike at the start but realised his spacing game is WAY too hard because of how slow he is. Lucario is actually probably more difficult because of his low kickback and low damage untill high % (and then only a few KO moves), but he is really really cool :-).

Smash Balls, Items, and really hazardous stages are banned at tourneys for obvious reasons.

Thing is Smash Balls are worth than items...

Because not only are they random spawn, in random location, but they favour the person who is losing (the person who is losing gets the smash ball easier, and can knock it off the winning person easier). Then pile on that some final smashes are total shit (Ike, Ness, Lucas), and some are ridiculously awesome.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Ok, just unlocked
Spoiler:
Wolf....

He is simply the best character.

That's all there is to it... No more argument, no more anything, he's the best.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Ok, just unlocked
Spoiler:
Wolf....

He is simply the best character.

That's all there is to it... No more argument, no more anything, he's the best.

Well, if you believe the tier list then Snake is the best.

But Wolf is really fucking cool, and his fsmash has WAY too much range.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Pfft, I've never trusted Tiers, Snake is good, undoubtedly. He's great for setting people up, but he's kind of limited to Brawls, he's nowhere near as good for 1v1s as Wolf is...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:51 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Pfft, I've never trusted Tiers, Snake is good, undoubtedly. He's great for setting people up, but he's kind of limited to Brawls, he's nowhere near as good for 1v1s as Wolf is...

Well, Snake is broken. Literally, his A->A->-A> and utilt are ridiculously broken, and every attack he has can KO. And he can control the whole stage using his mines and stuff, which forces your movements.

Edit:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157979

Also, by "Broken" I mean his skills are disproportioned. Ie, they hit back way to far and do way too much damage for how fast they are, and they have huge hitboxes. Not only that but snake is decently fast an agile while also being the 3rd heaviest character.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Return to “Gaming”