Super Smash Bros.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

I like Marth - he is more versatile then Roy (except for his b-up attack). And his power is nice if you aim the blade right.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jach

Postby Jach » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 am UTC

My main is Fox. Fast, responds to your controls, and I can annoy others by jumping and running around them. As for wavedashing, I've almost got that down, but I generally don't need it.

My second character I'll use is Jigglypuff. Laugh all you want, until I down-B you and chuckle as I take a nap. Only problem I have when using Jiggly is against Roy.

I am drooling over Brawl. I want it now! But no, I must wait. The new Subspace Emissary mode looks sweet, though.

Things I'd like to see:
All of the Star Fox characters.
Ability to fight some classic final boss at the end of each Adventure mode. For example, Ganon for Link and Co., Andross for Fox and Co., Giga Bowser for Mario and them, etc.
I'd like to have Megaman X and maybe Zero, but I won't get my hopes up.
I love reading quotes.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:42 am UTC

New mode: The Subspace Emissary
Returning character: Peach

Revealing what was hinted at two weeks ago, they've managed to make a full side-scrolling action game to go along with the multiplayer aspect. They also let slip that Peach will be returning at the same time.

So LuigiManiac, here's your new and improved adventure mode. It looks like fun.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

It makes me wish I could afford a wii and this game at release. :(

*cries in a corner cause she'll probably have to wait 2 years*

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

Jach wrote:Things I'd like to see:
All of the Star Fox characters.
Ability to fight some classic final boss at the end of each Adventure mode. For example, Ganon for Link and Co., Andross for Fox and Co., Giga Bowser for Mario and them, etc.

I still swear I heard something about Ridley...

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

i could do without slippy, or that damn rabbit.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:07 pm UTC

Those guys would most likely appear in assist trophies, methinks.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

...does no one else main samus? I main samus

that said, I hardly play anymore.
iop wrote:If 2+2=5, 3=2+1, and 6=5+1, 2+3=6

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:40 am UTC

ehiunno wrote:...does no one else main samus? I main samus

Depending on how easy it is to get a Final Blast with Samus I might main her and if Ike turns out crap, it seems that his aether skill is crap for recovery, but I might be wrong.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:44 am UTC

I main Samus. She's very good at evasive maneuvers. Roll back and forth in a ball to dodge; jump up in the air and lay bombs which'll prevent anyone from attacking you in the air, etc...

She's good for hanging back, building up a charge, and then jumping into the fray--or firing it from across the entire map.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:42 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
ehiunno wrote:...does no one else main samus? I main samus

Depending on how easy it is to get a Final Blast with Samus I might main her and if Ike turns out crap, it seems that his aether skill is crap for recovery, but I might be wrong.

well, he can fly.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:33 am UTC

On the subject of newcomers, I just checked the Dojo, and I now question their sanity.

Seriously. What's next? Four characters in one?

With all of these Pokemon, I now fear for Mewtwo, although because these are Kanto starters, it could also mean that Mewtwo is still a possibility.

...Do they actually have stamina in the newer games? I mean, there's PP, but still...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 am UTC

hot damn, now I have a Wii, I can't wait 'til December. Or until I get some more AA batteries...

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:01 am UTC

Ike=Wicked. I know who I'll be playing. Unless...

Sothe=WIN. But, Sothe looks like he's had the photoshop treatment. Which is sad, because Sothe was a cool character, if completely pathetic in Fire Emblem.

Same deal with Ilyana, I'd really like to know how she turns out.

Who I normally play: Roy. This is why I look forward to Ike.

Who I am terrible with: Mewtwo, Bowser, Foxco

Other that the photoshop is making me hope for: Skull Kid, Midna, Nabooru
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:56 am UTC

Pokemon Trainer is a new character.

I'm sad now.

I rather like how the switch out works though.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

I main Samus, but seriously Mewtwo is incredibly fun. The way he floats around the map and can temporarily fly without looking retarded like Kirby or Metaknight, and also how he can fling back items and charge beams without actually catching them. It's much more satisfying than Fox's shield thingy.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

I main Kirby and Luigi. Yeah it's a little cheap, but I can beat most of the people for a few towns, without using that slidy...dash...thingy. I am just completely horrendous with Bowser and Marth. Roy I can manage with for some unseen reason, but when I playMarth I just suck entirely.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

dagron

Postby dagron » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:14 am UTC

I play Luigi. I could never get the hang of wavedashing, but I do alright without it.

And occasionally I play Gannondorf.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:28 am UTC

dagron wrote:I play Luigi. I could never get the hang of wavedashing, but I do alright without it.

Wavedashing isn't necessary, it's VERY VERY useful, but unnecessary. You can do quite well without it. This varies from character to character, for example: I need it when I play Mewtwo, I find it helpful when playing Ness, and I almost never use it when I play Bowser.

SHFFL is more important.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Invisible_Insane
Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Postby Invisible_Insane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Marbas wrote:Wavedashing isn't necessary, it's VERY VERY useful, but unnecessary. You can do quite well without it. This varies from character to character, for example: I need it when I play Mewtwo, I find it helpful when playing Ness, and I almost never use it when I play Bowser.

SHFFL is more important.
Unless you play primarily with Sheik, where the short hop does not exist. The pokémon trainer thing seems interesting. I'm wondering why they're not using the name Ash. I wonder if the pokémon evolve for a final smash.
God is to Microsoft as Human Nature is to Windows Vista.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 am UTC

Probably because the trainers name in the game is not "Ash"?

In any games that aren't based on the anime he's called "Red", with "Gary" being "Blue".

Or you get some generic names to pick from (or you can just name him whatever you want).

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Invisible_Insane wrote:I'm wondering why they're not using the name Ash.

I fucking hate when people think that the show started it all.

The game was the first appearance of Pokemon. You notice how 'Ash' isn't one of the selectables in Red or Blue? Ash is just an arbitrary name that was chosen - it's also why Pikachu wasn't the starting Pokemon.

The show ruined the fad; older kids watched the show and then dismissed the game as 'childish'. The games were amazing, the card game was decent, but the show ruined it.

Grr.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:34 am UTC

lorenith wrote:Probably because the trainers name in the game is not "Ash"?

In any games that aren't based on the anime he's called "Red", with "Gary" being "Blue".

Or you get some generic names to pick from (or you can just name him whatever you want).

It appears that later versions use, well, the game names. (The Battle Revolution footage had "Diamond" and "Pearl" trainers, accordingly.) Of course now you name them whatever you want, get a random set of male names for Rival (or name how you want.)
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:59 am UTC

The particular graphic they have used for Pokemon Trainer is only from red/green/blue/(yellow? not sure)/silver/gold/crystal (again, not sure)/FireRed/LeafGreen. The male protagonist looks different in Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl.

Also Luigi's wavedash is so huge it's stupid not to utilize it's power.

I wonder if they will keep L-cancelling and wavedashing in Brawl.

I love the psychological games you can play with Marth's speed and counter.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

Marth's counter actually has incredibly low abuse potential. It has low damage, and people can bait it by standing there. Most of the time there are far better options. Usually the counter is trumped by his F-smash or Airs.

It's good once in a blue moon though.

But what do I know?

I main Bowser and Yoshi.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:47 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

Marth's counter actually has incredibly low abuse potential. It has low damage, and people can bait it by standing there. Most of the time there are far better options. Usually the counter is trumped by his F-smash or Airs.

It's good once in a blue moon though.

But what do I know?

I main Bowser and Yoshi.

The counter works good when you use it conjunction with psychological moves.

Like Dashing/Wavedashing Back and forth. Against a good opponent you can't really use these moves though. Counter is awesome just for if you need some space, it's pretty damn easy to time a counter on incoming attacks even on fast characters like Sheik and Capt.

Also, staying on the inside of fox/falco's b-across on side/high recoveries is nice esp if you can't get to where he lands in time.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Invisible_Insane
Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Postby Invisible_Insane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Invisible_Insane wrote:I'm wondering why they're not using the name Ash.

I fucking hate when people think that the show started it all.

The game was the first appearance of Pokemon. You notice how 'Ash' isn't one of the selectables in Red or Blue? Ash is just an arbitrary name that was chosen - it's also why Pikachu wasn't the starting Pokemon.

The show ruined the fad; older kids watched the show and then dismissed the game as 'childish'. The games were amazing, the card game was decent, but the show ruined it.

Grr.
Dude, relax. You can't expect everyone to know that sort of trivia. And I'm not really into pokémon.
God is to Microsoft as Human Nature is to Windows Vista.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Kawa wrote:It appears that later versions use, well, the game names. (The Battle Revolution footage had "Diamond" and "Pearl" trainers, accordingly.)

Yeah, I know, it's been doing this since the original Red and Blue version. (Hence the original characters being called Red and Blue)

Kawa wrote:Of course now you name them whatever you want, get a random set of male names for Rival (or name how you want.)

You could do this in original games too. They also added being able to play a female character in Crystal, and multiple rival typish characters in ruby/sapphire/emerald/diamond/pearl

I think the pkmn trainer in smash will be either very interesting/fun to play or a reall nightmare of a character, either way I'm excited to see how it works.

Meowsma

Postby Meowsma » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:26 am UTC

saxything43 wrote:I main Samus, but seriously Mewtwo is incredibly fun. The way he floats around the map and can temporarily fly without looking retarded like Kirby or Metaknight, and also how he can fling back items and charge beams without actually catching them. It's much more satisfying than Fox's shield thingy.

Yeah, until you realize that possession of the item doesn't switch. I love Mewtwo; he's a terrible character, but he's incredibly fun to play. He would be so much more fun to play if you could actually turn someone's projectiles back at them like Fox does.

I main Fox, and close secondaries are Jigglypuff and Samus (in that order). My friend and I always open games with a Mewtwo/Ganondorf match, though.

--Meowsma

Chase

Postby Chase » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

I main Mario.

Mewtwo is damn fun. 'Porting confuses the heck out of my friends, and they can never catch me.

Mewtwo's confusion move (his counter) is better against characters than it is against items. Sending Ganondorf's punch the other way is more effective than blocking it, and easier than timing a dodge. But confusing an item takes longer than just putting up your shield, and doesn't really work any better. At least with the shield, you can truly reflect an item (so it damages the thrower), although it is tricky. And then there's item catching. Why reflect the item when you can catch it and use it against your foes later? The only item you want to use confusion against is bob'ombs, and only if you're not confident in your item-catching skills.

Mewtwo's throws are part of what makes him so fun. Teleporting right behind someone, grabbing them, and chucking them right up into the great blue yonder, is so satisfying. Mewtwo has some of the most powerful throws in the game.
Principia Discordia wrote:Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Lanjolo

Postby Lanjolo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

I rarely play SSBM, but when I do, my friend and I play in final destination with bob-ombs, green shells and poke balls on very high. That being said, its no wonder I play with fox.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Chase wrote:Mewtwo's throws are part of what makes him so fun. Teleporting right behind someone, grabbing them, and chucking them right up into the great blue yonder, is so satisfying. Mewtwo has some of the most powerful throws in the game.

Psychic characters (Ness and Mewtwo) have insanely powerful throws. They're devastating on a stage without edges (Mushroom kingdom, Flatland, etc.)

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

I'm hoping Ike will lean more towards Roy than Marth, I think Roy's style fits Ike more (except the fire), and Ike uses that heavy sword that I forget the name of (but it's still the only one that can hurt the Black Knnniggit), and I want him to be a strong fast character that can chop you up faster than Link, but not be as versatile (read no long range) just like it always was. Part of the appeal of them for me was that I didn't have to worry about range, I just ran up and beat the bloody hell out of whoever got in my way.

Back on Melee, I always found Dr. Mario to be more unstoppable than Mario.

Roy and Marth are two facets of the same maneuver, but not as unbalanced as Falcon and Ganondorf. I always found it more valuable to play Roy and Ganondorf, as Roy had stronger hits and could play a point-blank game better than Marth. Ganondorf was meant to be a very strategic character I think, as most of his moves are particularly slow, but can connect with killing force, his axe kick attack was great for slamming edge-saves, and he could usually connect with something powerful without even having to smash the attack.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Marth does really well in "Mid-range" ie. not right in your face, but rather so the end of the blade hits the target. If you can keep this distance well he is unstoppable. I like that he is faster then Roy because then you can keep the distance better, and even though his B-up isn't directional his B-Across works better to recover then Roy's B-across.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am UTC

NOOOOOOOOOO DIDDY KONG!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:07 am UTC

The Pokémon Trainer could either be really fun or really mediocre at best. I'm withholding my judgment for the moment.

And Diddy Kong? Seems like another light/fast character with minimal ranged attacks. Maybe a type of replacement for Pichu, I dunno.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:10 am UTC

Yoshi's Final Smash is so ridiculous.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:41 am UTC

Hey cool, a nice nod the super mario world, dunno how good it is as a final smash, but it's cool.

And Diddy seems interesting, I look forward to trying him out.

I look forward to hearing the full version K.K. Rider in the game too, it's the only song they've put up I've really enjoyed. (well I liked the one for pits stage too, but the end sounded like a train wreck!) Hopefully the songs will have better quality by then across the board.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

Everyone here needs to see this video.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

IronPirate

Postby IronPirate » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:Hey cool, a nice nod the super mario world, dunno how good it is as a final smash, but it's cool.

And Diddy seems interesting, I look forward to trying him out.

I look forward to hearing the full version K.K. Rider in the game too, it's the only song they've put up I've really enjoyed. (well I liked the one for pits stage too, but the end sounded like a train wreck!) Hopefully the songs will have better quality by then across the board.

The song for pit's stage is amazing. You would understand the ending if you've played Kid Icarus.
I'm a bad, bad man.

Return to “Gaming”