Halo: Anniversary

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GonzoMcFonzo

Halo: Anniversary

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

So did anybody else pay good money for a game they've already had for a decade? :D

Having allies in firefight is nice, but I really wish they'd actually kept some of the original multiplayer, instead of this weird Reach hybrid we ended up with.

I'm really enjoying the graphic update, but I am noticing a few minor bug here and there. I also had a tough time explaining to my 15 y/o brother that these beautiful new graphics are exactly how pretty the game felt 10 years ago :)
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Loadstone

Re: Halo: Anniversary

Postby Loadstone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

My friend got it Monday night and was talking about it. Insta-nostalgia, so I called up Blockbuster yesterday after work and managed to snag their last copy. Played campaign with him a few hours last night. They made legendary difficulty way easier than it originally was (1-2 pistol shots to kill a hunter? Really? I seem to remember dumping entire clips of sniper rounds into their backs before...), so I'll have to turn on some skulls tonight when we play just to make it challenging.

Problem is, we're both playing on original graphics so we keep running past skulls and terminals, even when we know where they are.

Worth the $10'ish to play it for a few days. I was really into h3 but never got into reach, so I won't miss the multiplayer. As the first renter, I've got the codes to download the new maps if I really want them, anyway. But I agree - if they released the Halo CE multiplayer again, I'd be all over it.
"The only people who think children are carefree are the ones who've forgotten their own childhood." - OSC (who else?)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:26 am UTC

The original pistol did kill hunters in one or two shots if you hit them in their exposed backs, none of the other weapons were nearly as good against hunters.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Supposedly, the gameplay itself is exactly the same. If you hit the right spot on their back, you can one hit kill hunters with a pistol (but only with a pistol), and it's always been that way. I was really pissed when I found out I couldn't do it in Halo 2.

I'm working my way through the campaign right now, and I'm nostalgia-ing pretty hard. The high point of my day was hearing Foe Hammer's voice again. "You know Our Motto: We Deliver!"
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Loadstone

Postby Loadstone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:The original pistol did kill hunters in one or two shots if you hit them in their exposed backs, none of the other weapons were nearly as good against hunters.

I guess I never knew that. The campaign feels way easier anyway - we're halfway through on Legendary and have managed to grab every achievement on the way in 1 or 2 tries. I hope completing The Library in 30 minutes proves tougher than escaping the Forerunner complex in 21 minutes. So far, the hardest part has been the grenade jump to get the Bandanna Skull on Silent Cartographer (we tried for a while before giving up and just grabbing overshield and rockets and launching ourselves right up).
"The only people who think children are carefree are the ones who've forgotten their own childhood." - OSC (who else?)

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

You're probably alot better now, I went back and played the last level on the original Xbox version recently and it was a breeze, died maybe twice (compared to probably ~100 times the first time I played it on Legendary).

Uncompetative

Postby Uncompetative » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:50 pm UTC

I'm surprised and disappointed that there is no Battle Rifle in the Anniversary Multiplayer Map Pack, even though many of the maps were taken from Halo 2. The Designated Marksman Rifle is no substitute. The redesigned (Reachified) guns are ugly and don't even sound right. Hopefully, in a few years we'll get a Halo Deluxe with:

a) the entire campaigns from Reach, ODST, 1, 2, 3 with the option of Bumper Jumper controls for all of them.

b) the new and improved 'Phased' Forge with every weapon, piece of scenery and a few healthy trees for "reforestation".

c) the ability to forge your own Firefight games with objectives on the levels of the campaigns by setting up enemy spawn points, bounding boxes to limit their movements and new cover.

d) the ability to direct your squad of marines with the D-Pad by looking at a target / objective / piece of intervening cover and pushing
Up for a direct assault, Down to regroup on your position, Left / Right to circle to flank them and Back to retreat to the closest safe cover.

Obviously, this would be for the upcoming Xbox 1080 and would be a launch day digital download that could be paused at any moment
so another piece of content from its Multimedia Jukebox could be resumed (like iOS), remembering where you were even after being off.

As it is I don't feel that there has been all that much to celebrate.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

Halo: Anniversary was awesome for me. Back in the day there was a tiny place in my home town that converted some office space into an epic xbox LAN joint with projectors and tin foiled windows. Most every day you could go there and play halo with like 12 other guys on average, charged stupidly cheap by the hour. All my friends and I used to do it, and it was one of the big reasons we are friends. Halo: Anniversary came out and we set up in my basement on a large conference table. 2 couches, 4 tvs, we played two separate co-op campaigns on legendary through the night. It was freakin awesome.

Return to “Gaming”