Phantom hourglass on the 3DS

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Oflick

Phantom hourglass on the 3DS

Postby Oflick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 am UTC

I searched and found nothing, but many times on other sites I've searched and found nothing only to be told there is, in fact, something. So, sorry if there is a better place to put this.

Anyway, I have a 3DS and Phantom hourglass, but I can't get past one part of it. There's a part where you're supposed to "press the sacred crest against the sea chart", where you're supposed to close the DS. Unfortunately, it doesn't work because the 3DS goes to sleep as soon as you close it, and therefore the game doesn't register that you've closed it to let you past this part (I don't see why it doesn't, but it doesn't).

Does anyone know of a way around this? Searching online I've found other people with this problem but so far have no answers.

BurningLed

Re: Phantom hourglass on the 3DS

Postby BurningLed » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Borrow someone's DS for a minute.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

That part took me way too long to figure it out. Once I did, I smacked my head.

That's an unusual problem and one Nintendo probably didn't think too much about (unfortunate, since it's their game). Hope you figure out a solution that doesn't require a different machine!

Kayube

Postby Kayube » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

I was able to get that puzzle to work fine on my 3DS, I don't know why it wouldn't work on yours. (Regular DSes go to sleep when you close them too... I assumed that it was the going into sleep mode that activated the puzzle solution, not the physical action of closing the system.)

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Borrow someone's DS for a minute.

As much as I'd like too find a solution that doesn't involve this, it's probably what I'll end up doing.

That part took me way too long to figure it out. Once I did, I smacked my head.

I looked it up... Yeah, I'm a cheater.

I was able to get that puzzle to work fine on my 3DS, I don't know why it wouldn't work on yours. (Regular DSes go to sleep when you close them too... I assumed that it was the going into sleep mode that activated the puzzle solution, not the physical action of closing the system.)

Hmm, I thought the problem was caused because a regular DS didn't go to sleep. If they do, it makes it more confusing.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44 am UTC

There are a bunch of DS games that use this gimmick. It's fiendish the first time you see it, of course; not so much anymore.

Offhand, the ones that come to mind are The World Ends With You, Hotel Dusk, and Looney Toons: Duck Amuck. (The latter has a particularly clever little bit where you're actually supposed to play the game using the shoulder buttons while the DS is closed.) But only in the case of Phantom Hourglass is it essential, I think.

Even if you could borrow someone else's DS, you'd still have to borrow it for long enough to work your way back down to the bottom of the Temple. Ugh.

By the way, if you're using a ROM, you may want to look into the hacks that enable D-Pad control rather than forcing you to use the touchscreen.

DARTHVADER97

Postby DARTHVADER97 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

i am at the bit where you have to call out to astrid but because there is no microphone it is NOT possible can someone PLEASE let me know if there is a solution

Manial

Postby Manial » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 am UTC

DARTHVADER97 wrote:i am at the bit where you have to call out to astrid but because there is no microphone it is NOT possible can someone PLEASE let me know if there is a solution
There is a microphone on the 3DS. It's the very small hole below and a little to the right of the Start button.

Return to “Gaming”