Bastion

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Menacing Spike

Bastion

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

So, anyone else played this? If so, what is your favorite loadout?

Also, the narrator's voice made sweet sweet love to my ears.

Christ on a cracker.... Here's all the shit you should have included in your post. - ST

Bastion is the first title from Supergiant Games, an original action role-playing game set in a lush imaginative world, in which players must create and fight for civilization’s last refuge as a mysterious narrator marks their every move.
Link to the game's page

psion

Re: Bastion

Postby psion » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:05 am UTC

I like the rifle and spear. The rifle has a fast aim time when fully upgraded, and the spear is fairly multipurpose.
But yeah, fantastic game.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 am UTC

psion wrote:I like the rifle and spear. The rifle has a fast aim time when fully upgraded, and the spear is fairly multipurpose.
But yeah, fantastic game.

I rather favour spear + mortar, with the aoe and don't hurt self upgrades on the mortar. The flamethrower seems to ignore defensive idols, so it becomes very good in new game plus (I'm talking about the "less physical damage", "may avoid damage", "may become transparent on hit", and "regenerates" idols).
The rifle is really lackluster when facing multiple, idol'd foes (pecker swarms come to mind).

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

My weapons of choice were usually the flame bellows and the calamity cannon, but I haven't fully upgraded all the weapons yet, so that may change.

But yes, I love this game and highly recommend it to anyone, even at full price. The story is one of the best I've seen in a while.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

I played the demo and found it interesting. Probably won't buy it though. I have way too many other games on my list right now, and with some of the releases coming this fall I don't see my backlog improving any time soon. Plus I am horrible about buying games and not playing them.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

I started it, didn't finish. The music and narration are in a class all to their own. The animation is gorgeous and the backdrops are verdant, lush, mesmerizing.

That said, the action is a bit lackluster and repetitive. I bought it to support a group that did a job well done, and will probably finish it soon. The narrators voice is pure sex.
Also, ST, there should be a thread merge.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

I'm not sure why you find it lackluster. I think the combat has a surprising amount of depth for a game that's very artistic and story driven.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

Duplicate thread problem solved.

Next time, report the threads like you're supposed to.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Weapons are incredibly well balanced. Virtually every combination will clean house, especially with a good set of tonics.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 am UTC

Sticking with machete and shotgun/repeater mostly. Haven't gotten and upgraded all the weapons yet though.

edit:

Finished the game. Wow.

Spoiler:
chose to carry Zulf with me and restore the Bastion. I wonder what happens with the other options...
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

I just finished this game over the weekend. I think it's one of the better games of its genre.

My first runthrough was with the hammer and musket. I picked the hammer because I liked being able to charge up an attack while defending (which made it a great 1-2 punch for lunkheads or any other heavy melee character).

But now I want to upgrade all items so I'm experimenting with different combinations. For example: Repeater + Musket is a good combo because any problem can be solved with more gun.

I like the response for when you take out the mortar and cannon though.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

Walking through it now, loving the hammer + bow combo. And yes, dat voice.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

THREADCROMANCY

Just finished it, it's a great game, on my second playthrough now.. Could have used a few more choices in what to do with the plot - for a game with such a large focus on the story, it's odd that you don't really get to have an impact on it.

Bellows and bow for me.. The bellows are kind of lame, but insanely effective... My fully upgraded bow will kill most anything in one shot, even with all idols activated.

Also, loved this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

RoberII wrote:Could have used a few more choices in what to do with the plot - for a game with such a large focus on the story, it's odd that you don't really get to have an impact on it.
I disagree! It could have done with less. The best way to ruin a story is to add choices to it. Now I'm left wondering what happens in other paths, rather than enjoying the story. Especially in this game, they felt extremely tacked on and pointless.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Other paths? The game has two endings, both of which are readily available to see online. There are a combined total of TWO decisions you can make; one of them results in a minor cosmetic difference, the other results in one of the two endings being revealed.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Seriously!!!! Given the number of levels left to attain, and the two sets of choices, I assumed I was about two-thirds through the game when all of a sudden the credits started to roll. :cry:

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Spoilers:
Spoiler:
But rescuing (or not) Zulf doesn't do anything as far as I can tell, though the scene was plenty fun, especially when that one soldier was smacked down. What happened to him? I really couldn't tell - was he on the Bastion when they restart/evacuate? He isn't even mentioned in the voiceover =/ What you do in the game doesn't change the endings at all =(
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Other paths? The game has two endings, both of which are readily available to see online. There are a combined total of TWO decisions you can make; one of them results in a minor cosmetic difference, the other results in one of the two endings being revealed.

I was referencing other games as well. Choices tend to inherently weaken the story as you have to account for multiple scenarios. There are cases where it's done well. Generally, it isn't.

And yes, why am I making these decisions in Bastion? What does it add to the game? For me, it adds an annoyance of making said decision, and then the trouble of looking up what the other choice holds later.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

@Rob:
Spoiler:
Rescuing Zulf includes an image of him if you move on. If you don't rescue him, he's absent from the image.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

Arise ye thread from the grave!

I picked this up in the steam sale a couple of days ago. I had no idea what I was missing; this game is fantastic. I have now played it twice, second time in new game plus mode.

Spoiler:
The first time, I chose restoration because it seemed the most noble thing to do. But on my second playthrough, it was strongly implied that time just looped back on itself and the calamity still happened anyway. So on my second playthrough, I chose evacuation so I could hang out with Zia, Zulf and sexy voice man. I rescued Zulf both times; it was kind of awesome how the Ura just stopped attacking after a while and let me pass with Zulf slung over my shoulder.

As for the music, also awesome, there's one thing I didn't notice about Zia's theme until it was pointed out:

Spoiler:
The lyrics are actually pretty sinister. It's basically saying "yeah, go ahead and build your strong walls and your city on the hill - one day, my people (the Ura) will destroy you. That'll learn you for oppressing us.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

This game is on the new weekly Humble Bundle at $1.
I got a copy for myself but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering about the controls: Is it regular Diablo style mouse + keyboard or is it possible to play it using a game pad?
What say ye, veterans of Bastion?
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Either one is valid. The gamepad can be a bit tricky -- it'll innately recognize an xbox360 controller, but if you're playing with a logitech/ps3/etc controller you need to download some driver to fool the program. Thanks microsoft.

In terms of overall gameplay, I think I prefer gamepad. I always seem to neglect the shield when I use the keyboard configuration.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Coin wrote:This game is on the new weekly Humble Bundle at $1.
I got a copy for myself but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering about the controls: Is it regular Diablo style mouse + keyboard or is it possible to play it using a game pad?

*buys*
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

felltir wrote:
Coin wrote:This game is on the new weekly Humble Bundle at $1.

*buys*

Good man =)
It's a great game! My brother has been recommending it to me for ages.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Relevant for this thread: The people who made Bastion are making a new game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTik6sYT_BE :)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

I'm gonna pick up a lot of flak for this, but I didn't really like Bastion. The music and narration were both awesome, but... I didn't like the gameplay, and as a result didn't think it was very fun to actually play.

One day I'm totally gonna watch a playthrough on YouTube or something (if anyone wants to suggest a good one -- no narration, fast but complete and not cutting off narration -- I'm all ears) because I want to see what the story is and get more of the narrator, but I only played a few levels and have relatively little attraction to going back to it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

I vaguely agree; I wasn't wow'd by the game play, and found myself sort of rushing through areas in an effort to see more or hear more story.

Ultimately, I just watched the finale. I loved it, and I really applaud the studio for their efforts and accomplishments. I will absolutely be buying Transistor.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Bastion had much artwork polish, but making connections between the character and the art felt a little weak to me. Might be a from a lack of audio cues. This bothered me the most when you spammed your rolling, or was knocked up into the air.

Spear+Shotgun(name?) here. I combo rolling+shotgun/spear to get myself through the dream sequences, keeping the shield up whenever I'm not doing any of that.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Soralin wrote:Relevant for this thread: The people who made Bastion are making a new game:

That trailer gives me soundgasms, I can't stop listening to it.

bastion was pretty good, the gameplay wasn't all that, but it wasn't bad either, definitely worth playing for the story at least.

I try not to get excited about games before the reviews come out anymore, but I can't help it with Transistor, just on the strength of the music from the trailer.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:That trailer gives me soundgasms, I can't stop listening to it.

bastion was pretty good, the gameplay wasn't all that, but it wasn't bad either, definitely worth playing for the story at least.

I try not to get excited about games before the reviews come out anymore, but I can't help it with Transistor, just on the strength of the music from the trailer.

As to be expected. :-)

One of the best parts of Bastion honestly was its soundtrack and voice track. The guys at Supergiant Games are absolute experts at sound.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 am UTC

Bastion looks pretty, has uninspired gameplay - it's not bad, it's just not anything most people haven't played before - and has a fantastic narrator.

In some ways, it reminds me of Braid, another game which lives and dies by its presentation - if you enjoy the polish, the substance is inoffensive enough; if you don't, then there's not enough meat there to support the game otherwise.

Contrast with something like World of Goo, where the mechanic - constructing frameworks in a physics engine - is the game's selling point, and the flavour is just gravy.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Bastion looks pretty, has uninspired gameplay - it's not bad, it's just not anything most people haven't played before - and has a fantastic narrator.

In some ways, it reminds me of Braid, another game which lives and dies by its presentation - if you enjoy the polish, the substance is inoffensive enough; if you don't, then there's not enough meat there to support the game otherwise.
Wait, what? The "substance" of Braid is already a great puzzle game; it would be more than worth playing even if looked mediocre and the music wasn't woven wonderfully into the gameplay. To each their own I guess. :-)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Bastion looks pretty, has uninspired gameplay - it's not bad, it's just not anything most people haven't played before - and has a fantastic narrator.

Wait, what? The "substance" of Braid is already a great puzzle game; it would be more than worth playing even if looked mediocre and the music wasn't woven wonderfully into the gameplay. To each their own I guess. :-)

Without the polish, I'd happily have played Braid as a free flash game, but I wouldn't have been happy about paying for it. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've played it, so it may be faded by distance, but it's the art-style and the backplot that I remember as standing out...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Soralin wrote:Relevant for this thread: The people who made Bastion are making a new game:

That trailer gives me soundgasms, I can't stop listening to it.

Gameplay looks amazing too. And the art, while being close to what they did with Bastion (except Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk) also reminds me a lot of Vanillaware.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can say the game play looks amazing. It looks, for all we can see, identical to Bastion, but we've seen nothing of the inventory system, weapon swapping, or indeed, anything really aside from 'Watch her move around a field and attack some enemies'.

At PAX they had a demo, and the narration, art, and music all seemed beautiful (as we would expect from SuperGiant), but the game play, from watching others, didn't seem anything special (perhaps as we would also expect from SuperGiant).

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure how you can say the game play looks amazing. It looks, for all we can see, identical to Bastion, but we've seen nothing of the inventory system, weapon swapping, or indeed, anything really aside from 'Watch her move around a field and attack some enemies'.

At PAX they had a demo, and the narration, art, and music all seemed beautiful (as we would expect from SuperGiant), but the game play, from watching others, didn't seem anything special (perhaps as we would also expect from SuperGiant).

What... Identical to Bastion? Maybe we watched different gameplay... have a look at TotalBiscuit's video on it. It was apparently footage from PAX, but I really don't see how you could say it was the same as Bastion's.

Edit: Also am I the only one who think the combat system would make for awesome multiplayer vs gameplay? You could have the turn-based mode be time-limited and AP limited and have people plan their movements/attacks, trying to hit eachother. Then once you play the plan your characters will zip around eachother and, if you do well with your plan, you might catch them in the middle of their plan and damage them.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:What... Identical to Bastion? Maybe we watched different gameplay... have a look at TotalBiscuit's video on it. It was apparently footage from PAX, but I really don't see how you could say it was the same as Bastion's.

Because it's virtually the same, except there's a time freeze mechanic in place?

Incidentally, that video was painfully frustrating to watch, given how slowly and poorly he was playing.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
EvanED wrote:

Without the polish, I'd happily have played Braid as a free flash game, but I wouldn't have been happy about paying for it. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've played it, so it may be faded by distance, but it's the art-style and the backplot that I remember as standing out...

I replayed both games over the weekend, and I stand by my assertion that Braid's gameplay alone isn't enough to make it worth playing (at least not for money).

Braid is a puzzle-platformer while Bastion is an action-adventure (with light RPG elements), but both games rely on their soundtrack, their art-style and the presentation of their storyline to justify their existence - I'm happy to say that Braid is the better game, but because of how it does what it does, rather than what it is that it does...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Decker wrote:My weapons of choice were usually the flame bellows and the calamity cannon, but I haven't fully upgraded all the weapons yet, so that may change.

On a new game plus, I settled on flame bellows and the shotgun for about half the game, dallied with the galleon mortar for a level or two, and then settled on flame bellows and calamity cannon - homing rockets are always fun, and the flame bellows do an excellent job defensively - the main hole is that both weapons take some time to deal their damage - charging a rocket or accumulating flame damage...

I'm very happy with flame bellows, but I'm not sure what they're best paired with...

Return to “Gaming”