Final Fantasy Omnithread - All FF, all the time.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Final Fantasy Omnithread - All FF, all the time.

Postby philsov » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:I went to Distant Worlds once and have to completely agree. Its well done and strikes the right balance between being over produced or just underwhelming.

Thirding.

My only twitching point was that they saved "One Winged Angel" for the encore, which is imo the most overated song in the entire lineup of awesome FF songs. Seeing it LIVE with actual latin-y singers is pretty cool, I admit -- but the instrumentation side didn't feel quite optimized for the whole orchestra, like Dancing Mad or Bombing Mission were.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

I agree. I actually saw it twice and one time they did one wing angel, the other time they did either blinded by light, or the promise. I definitely enjoyed that more, and besides everybody knows the best choral arrangement is Liberi Fatali
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

Dancing Mad is great. I also really like the Black Mages version of Vamo' Alla Flamenco from FF9 (the duel music in the opening scene). Those are some of my favorites. I've never seen them live though.

I'm a huge fan of Nobuo's work regardless, and I often get excited whenever I see he's composed the music for a game.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

I never knew until now that Vamo Alla Flamenco is heard during the play at the beginning of the game. When I hear that music, all I can imagine is frantically searching for treasure by making a bird peck at the ground.
I think it's great music from FFIX, but I'll always associate it with the Chocobo Hot and Cold minigame.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

...And the resulting "Kweh!!!" sound effect from each dig randomly getting inserted throughout the song.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

The live version of Vamo Alla Flamenco had a Flamenco guitarist accompanied by the orchestra, it was was really well done. Now that I think about it the one good version of One Winged Angel I heard(on YouTube) was when it was the Black Mages accompanied by the orchestra and Chorus. That makes it much more epic and full. Just the orchestra or the band leaves something to be desired.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 am UTC

I also don't really understand the popularity of One Winged Angel; it is discordant and not especially evocative of anything except for that bizarrely deformed thing that is Safer Sephiroth. For some reason that is constantly included in Video Games Live as if it is a big deal.

...Now, at the Distant Worlds concert I attended, they actually didn't have a choir, so they got the audience to sing the vocals! And the amazing thing is that the sold-out house actually did a reasonable job of it! (And Nobuo was up on stage flipping through cues written on an easel pad!) That was memorable.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I also don't really understand the popularity of One Winged Angel; it is discordant and not especially evocative of anything except for that bizarrely deformed thing that is Safer Sephiroth. For some reason that is constantly included in Video Games Live as if it is a big deal.

It was a distinctive and memorable moment. The Latin chorals helped make it stand out.
As a piece of music, yeah it's actually not that good; I would certainly not hold it up as an example to others of good video game music.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

So I finished FFXIII-2. Wasn't a bad game. Time travel is always convoluted but it was still pretty fun. It was excessively easy though I found. Easily 5 starred all the final boss forms. I was kinda stuck for a while so I might have overleveled a bit though. Also I couldn't see any reason to keep leveling a role once it stopped getting abilities, except to use specific ones on the big nodes to gain specific bonuses. But is there actually a difference between say a level 80 Commando/Level 99 Ravager and a level 99 Commando/level 80 Ravager? As in does the level in a role make a particular difference?

Also downloaded the Requiem of a Goddess DLC and it just seems tedious. The fight is exceptionally long but still easy. I guess the intent is to grind up levels on it until you beat it at 5 stars, but I just want to see the extra story aspect.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Also downloaded the Requiem of a Goddess DLC and it just seems tedious. The fight is exceptionally long but still easy. I guess the intent is to grind up levels on it until you beat it at 5 stars, but I just want to see the extra story aspect.
Yeah, the gameplay of that DLC was trash. Squarenix really has no idea what its doing as far as DLC goes.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 am UTC

Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/10/fi ... antasy-xv/
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV

And KH3 is finally "in production"

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Next FF should just start with 6 characters, 3 at a time, with the FF13 engine with all 6 roles fully leveled up on each character and THEN evolve from there. The FF13 system was great... except you basically spent the entire game and even the post game unlocking it all rather than USING it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Next FF should just start with 6 characters, 3 at a time, with the FF13 engine with all 6 roles fully leveled up on each character and THEN evolve from there. The FF13 system was great... except you basically spent the entire game and even the post game unlocking it all rather than USING it.

I didn't play it, but I watched my friend play through the first bit of FF13. It reminded me a lot of the sphere grid in FF10. How is the skill unlock system different from leveling up in any other FF game? If you say that you spend most of the game unlocking it instead of using it, how is it any different that learning the most powerful summons, magic spells, or equipment until late in the game, as in any other FF game? I mean, the first time I played through FF10, each of my characters had barely finished going through their "path" on the sphere grid. In the second playthrough with smarter party management, I had each character about halfway through the second "path" by the end of the game. It's only in the post-game that I would be able to have all characters travel the entire sphere grid and get all stats and skills unlocked for everyone, in order to beat the hard challenges in the monster arena.
Ditto for Final Fantasy 6, if I tried to spend enough time making each character learn spells and get stat boosts from magicite. Ditto for Final Fantasy Tactics, learning (unlocking) job abilities. Final Fantasy 5 and 3 are a couple others that you could spend inordinate amounts of time get each character to max power.
So is it just that you got much more satisfaction playing with the leveled up characters and the growth phase didn't satisfy you, or is it that FF13 is somehow different from every other FF in unlocking skills and gradually making the characters stronger as the game goes on?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes Final Fantasy XV

I appreciate the info, but the title is 90% of the article.

FFXII-3 is closest to release, so it has my attention. Key phrases in descriptions I find interesting:
  • action-oriented,sole playable character - No sure what to think, will be a change of pace at least.
  • open world - the opener a JRPG, the better.
  • world driven/real-time build - To me this sounds like Majora's mask, which I thought was awesome.II will be upset if Lightning kicks less ass than Mister T. on mako I'll be upset.
  • separate ATB gauges - Intriguing
  • "the most complete and polished in the Final Fantasy series" from the director - As I understand it Japanese culture is pretty anti-bragging, so I doubt he'd say that lightly.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:[*]"the most complete and polished in the Final Fantasy series" from the director - As I understand it Japanese culture is pretty anti-bragging, so I doubt he'd say that lightly.[/list]
As far as games and particularly sqinix, goes, I don't think this is true. They talked up the story and system of 13 a lot, and even though i liked it, neither was good as promised.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

I'd love to see them go back to their roots with an entry into the series that has right combination of depth / diverse playstyle / storyline like 6, 7 or (arguably) 10. Also the job system in 5 was really well done. I fear however that the modern emphasis on z0mg graphics and immersion, or the tendency to try and turn the whole game into a movie will stunt any attempt to do that.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

All the "open world" and "events happen without the player"stuff make me hopeful it won't be too movie like.

I'd have to disagree about the "zomg graphics" being a "modern emphasis". Final fantasy games have had cutting edge graphics for a long time. If anything I'd say that the idea that chasing graphical fidelity is useless is the modern one.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Final fantasy games have had cutting edge graphics for a long time.

4-5-6 were nowhere as good looking as Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Well, iirc, 6 was one of the best graphically on the SNES at the time.

When I'm referring to "modern" I mean the common practice in the last 10 years or so of game companies really pushing realism and making the game look good as a primary objective over making the game fun to play, depth of storyline, characters, etc. You can have a game with both, but companies like Bethesda seem to shirk the depth of play for making it look shiny. I've heard similar criticisms about Assassins creed and other games like that as well. I haven't played FF12 or FF13 but I have not really heard any ringing endorsements about either of those games and it seems to me, on the surface, that's what Square is doing also. Making the games movie-like and shiny rather than deep and engaging. I could be wrong though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Well, iirc, 6 was one of the best graphically on the SNES at the time.

When I'm referring to "modern" I mean the common practice in the last 10 years or so of game companies really pushing realism and making the game look good as a primary objective over making the game fun to play, depth of storyline, characters, etc. You can have a game with both, but companies like Bethesda seem to shirk the depth of play for making it look shiny. I've heard similar criticisms about Assassins creed and other games like that as well. I haven't played FF12 or FF13 but I have not really heard any ringing endorsements about either of those games and it seems to me, on the surface, that's what Square is doing also. Making the games movie-like and shiny rather than deep and engaging. I could be wrong though.

FF13 is, what, 15 hours or something of running down a (very pretty) corridor with cutscenes and combat to break things up a bit, then Gran Pulse, which is a huge open area with... well, with a bunch of scattered standing-stones that give you quests to go and kill a specific monster, and lots of monsters around, including some that are intended as post-game content. But it sure is pretty-looking. And then you get some more corridor to run through to get to the final boss and unlock the post-game content. I don't think there's any interaction with other people outside of cutscenes.

FF12 is an open world where you can roam fairly freely after the first hour or two, though there are some gates that make it tricky to get too far ahead of the plot (you can generally bypass them, but you're going to know you're off-track) - it's perfectly possible to explore and end up in a region where you're so under-levelled that your only way to survive is by avoiding all combat. There are plenty of NPCs around to interact with, and you can always just take off and explore for a bit, or do side-quests. 12's biggest issue is that the plot isn't terribly compelling - there are a lot of good ingredients, but no hook to pull it all together - no reason for you to care about the rich and complex plot.

So, yeah, FF13 is overdesigned - all polish and carefully engineered player experience, but that's not true of FF12.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

New User wrote:
mosc wrote:Next FF should just start with 6 characters, 3 at a time, with the FF13 engine with all 6 roles fully leveled up on each character and THEN evolve from there. The FF13 system was great... except you basically spent the entire game and even the post game unlocking it all rather than USING it.

I didn't play it, but I watched my friend play through the first bit of FF13. It reminded me a lot of the sphere grid in FF10. How is the skill unlock system different from leveling up in any other FF game? If you say that you spend most of the game unlocking it instead of using it, how is it any different that learning the most powerful summons, magic spells, or equipment until late in the game, as in any other FF game? I mean, the first time I played through FF10, each of my characters had barely finished going through their "path" on the sphere grid. In the second playthrough with smarter party management, I had each character about halfway through the second "path" by the end of the game. It's only in the post-game that I would be able to have all characters travel the entire sphere grid and get all stats and skills unlocked for everyone, in order to beat the hard challenges in the monster arena.
Ditto for Final Fantasy 6, if I tried to spend enough time making each character learn spells and get stat boosts from magicite. Ditto for Final Fantasy Tactics, learning (unlocking) job abilities. Final Fantasy 5 and 3 are a couple others that you could spend inordinate amounts of time get each character to max power.
So is it just that you got much more satisfaction playing with the leveled up characters and the growth phase didn't satisfy you, or is it that FF13 is somehow different from every other FF in unlocking skills and gradually making the characters stronger as the game goes on?

FF13 was practically an action game. Attacks that you learned at the start (say, fire) were equally useful to a character the moment they got them or at the end of the game. You got 6 attack slots so using fire 2 or fire 3 instead of fire was not a huge advantage. Fire 2 costs 2 slots (so you got 3 of them) and fire 3 costs 3 slots (so you got 2 of them). In FF13 post game, combat was about timing. Switching between different combinations of party makeups (3x sentinel was almost completely offense free but cut damage dramatically) at the 1 to 2 second visual cues monsters would give you before attacking. Mastering combat was about analyzing which attacks took less time to execute. About stacking conditions, keeping yourself condition free, and watching the stagger meter rather than hitting "fight" and watching some damage numbers. It was a higher level game where the mechanics of mashing A were replaced with a much more dynamic system.

All that said, you didn't even have access to 3x sentinel formation until after beating the game nor could you play the condition game or much of anything until after completely leveling up. The FF12 gambit system had similar issues I suppose. At first it is less than useless because it is so limited. It doesn't actually let you do anything new it just lets you automate responses so you can leave the game playing in RT and make more higher level decisions. There's no reason why they should roll out gambit system AI options like god damn power ups.

Square seems to think the SNES-type FF interface is very dated and wants us to remember it with nostalgia but play something much more "modern". Strategic depth has been replaced with more twitchy gameplay yet in both of the last single player iterations they've kept the players from the TOOLS to play like that until the game is beaten.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

In XII IZJS, they made all gambits available from start, so perhaps they are aware of this issue.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
New User wrote:

FF13 was practically an action game. Attacks that you learned at the start (say, fire) were equally useful to a character the moment they got them or at the end of the game. You got 6 attack slots so using fire 2 or fire 3 instead of fire was not a huge advantage. Fire 2 costs 2 slots (so you got 3 of them) and fire 3 costs 3 slots (so you got 2 of them). In FF13 post game, combat was about timing. Switching between different combinations of party makeups (3x sentinel was almost completely offense free but cut damage dramatically) at the 1 to 2 second visual cues monsters would give you before attacking. Mastering combat was about analyzing which attacks took less time to execute. About stacking conditions, keeping yourself condition free, and watching the stagger meter rather than hitting "fight" and watching some damage numbers. It was a higher level game where the mechanics of mashing A were replaced with a much more dynamic system.

All that said, you didn't even have access to 3x sentinel formation until after beating the game nor could you play the condition game or much of anything until after completely leveling up. The FF12 gambit system had similar issues I suppose. At first it is less than useless because it is so limited. It doesn't actually let you do anything new it just lets you automate responses so you can leave the game playing in RT and make more higher level decisions. There's no reason why they should roll out gambit system AI options like god damn power ups.

Square seems to think the SNES-type FF interface is very dated and wants us to remember it with nostalgia but play something much more "modern". Strategic depth has been replaced with more twitchy gameplay yet in both of the last single player iterations they've kept the players from the TOOLS to play like that until the game is beaten.

This is typical of RPG's, especially JRPG's. Often you unlock the tools when you've outleveled their use, instead of when you urgently need it. So, you either trivialize the content, or you fight impaired and have to resort to gimmick strategies.

I've never understood the penchant of RPG's to replace the role playing element with just a gated power system that is not smooth at all. I really hate leveling for the sake of having levels. What I liked about Tales of Symphonia, a JRPG, is that more than levels you actually unlocked skills and their combinations by USING and experimenting with them.

I think growth should be tied to the gameplay, not mindlessly grinding mobs or getting shit so late in the game to give you an artificial sense of power increase.

I also tend to resent JRPG's that make you waste hours walking meaninglessly on a barren map with no use for exploring, only to give you faster transport when the game is about 70% done. Yes, I'm looking at you, Ni No Kuni.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

mosc wrote:There's no reason why they should roll out gambit system AI options like god damn power ups.
The only reason I can think of is concern about learning the system. I have a background in programming so I would have been fine with the instructions "Prioritized tuples: condition, action, target." But I'd be interesting to see the results of play testing with less sophisticated players.
Lucrece wrote:I've never understood the penchant of RPG's to replace the role playing element with just a gated power system that is not smooth at all.
FFXIII gates were very smooth actually, power wise. It's just that they increased the complexity very slowly.
New User wrote:I didn't play it, but I watched my friend play through the first bit of FF13. It reminded me a lot of the sphere grid in FF10. How is the skill unlock system different from leveling up in any other FF game?
The sphere grids looked similiar, but instead of having the lock spheres as in ten, when a new role was unlocked (plot controlled) you started at the bottom of that role. The result being that leveling was a choice of which of three straight lines to follow. The other big difference was that roles are almost like actions (in the way they're controlled), so each character advanced from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 6 (after the final boss).
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Square seems to think the SNES-type FF interface is very dated and wants us to remember it with nostalgia but play something much more "modern". Strategic depth has been replaced with more twitchy gameplay yet in both of the last single player iterations they've kept the players from the TOOLS to play like that until the game is beaten.

What's unfortunate about that is while it is dated, it's not like they can't innovate it. FF7 was basically a carbon copy of FF6's system with some additional things. They got pretty creative with FF8 and took a step back with FF9 being very traditional. FF10 was really creative in that you could swap people in and out as you needed and FF10-2 was even more creative with the sphere grids. I really liked the systems in FF10 and 10-2; they were fun to play.

They can continue to iterate on those systems without going so far off the edge to make it a full blown action game.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

I personally found 7 and 8 to have too little combat differentiation between the characters. They all had their own limits, sure, but those aren't core moves.

With 12 and 13 they seemed to be trying to reduce away the boring aspects. That's one approach, but as you lose the ability to micromanage you also lose the parts that were good on the micro level. What I think they'd need to do to iterate the classic model would be to replace or divide the boring aspects.

If I was going to make one recommendation to someone designing a turn based combat system, it would be this: remove the attack command. It's applicable to way, way too many situations in most games. If you can get through an encounter with one command, outside of the first level, that encounter sucks. Even the word itself is too broad: You're in combat, most of what you do is attacking.

XIII was improvement in that respect as it's "attack" action was physical damage + stagger maintenance, additionally debuffs and buffs were practical to use in many encounters.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:In XII IZJS, they made all gambits available from start, so perhaps they are aware of this issue.
Jeepers, I don't remember hearing about that before. Apparently there are fanmade mods to convert it to English? Do they actually work? Having never played the game, would this be a good way to start?

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Does anyone know what's going on with Tactics? Are they making an A3? Ivalice is too cool to abandon. :(

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

Is there something new going on? I'm not familiar with any news re: Tactics.

Having said that, I quite literally just made an ISO of my FFT disk and applied the 1.3 difficulty patch to it. I can't wait to jump in and see how different the game is.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Is there something new going on? I'm not familiar with any news re: Tactics.

Having said that, I quite literally just made an ISO of my FFT disk and applied the 1.3 difficulty patch to it. I can't wait to jump in and see how different the game is.

:D

Hope you enjoy it. Personally I prefer the Content patch over the straight patch; it's a little easier but lacks the direct level scaling so I'm less paranoid about gaining levels. Unless you're grind-happy, the differences are subtle and welcome.

Either way, 1.3 is a great patch that I'm happy to have had my hand in. It both rebalances all the classes and greatly increased enemy JP and R/S/M. No more enemy monks with weapon guard! Now they have attack up and power sleeves and they hurt.

~

Recently picked up the Brave New World patch for FF6; I know "rebalanced stuff and new everything" describes most patches, especially FF6 patches, but the quality and followthrough on this stuff is good. The gear is something akin to FF12's; it's no longer straight linear expensive = good; between stat boosts, evasion, and def/magic def you choice of armor at any given time is at least 3. Reworked battle formulas make stamina and vigor and speed all worthwhile stats, and each character has Esper restrictions which limits their spell selection and prohibits them from a growth path or two. Enemies get a wider selection of abilities in general and randoms are less of zergfest. Only at South Figaro atm but I'm digging what I've seen so far.
Last edited by philsov on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

First I've heard of FF:T:A:3:revenge of the colon. I'm for it.

I gave up on 4 heroes of light over the weekend. It's the first game where I reached level 99, and the final boss was still one shotting half the party every round.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Oh, new "fft:a"

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffts/

From the looks of it, it's a non-tactical battle system that just has skins from the fft:a series. And my confidence in SE has plummeted so call me cynical but it's just a cash cow featuring rehashed elements and no soul. Kinda like that fft:a tower defense game.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Square Enix hasn't produced a really good game in a very long time. They lost the innovative edge they had such a good handle on in the SNES and PSX days. Maybe they'll get it back someday, but until they do, they're just gonna ride the Final Fantasy name as long as they can.

CesarioRose

Postby CesarioRose » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Yea; I have not played a final fantasy title all the way through since FF7 and FFTA/FFTA2. Which is a shame because FF6 is what got me into story-based (j)RPG games. :(

I see above some mentions of Brave New World. This is a good thing; FF6 always felt *broken* at times when I replayed it for the millionith time. I'm glad someone came along and fixed it.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

I played FF9 and FF10, 10-2(once) all the way through. FF9 was amazing the first time through and really bad the second. FF10 was also quite enjoyable because I thought the story was pretty fun, but it could be so much deeper. 10-2, let us never speak of it again.

RE: FF6, agreed big time. It's amazing, but bosses that I spent ages and ages and ages trying to beat as a kid (Mt. Zozo dragon comes to mind) are a joke today. You reach a point, even without overpowered spells like ultima, that you just do so much damage that all the preparation is almost moot outside of some very basic things. You can run around in a max power setup all the time and you're essentially invulnerable. Unless you're using Cyan or Umaro anyways. (Yes they're just bad.) I'm actually pretty anxious to check out Brave New World too. Once I dig into 1.3 (which is finished) I'll probably start that next (or at least watch its progress).

FF6 is a game that was so rich and exciting pre-internet, and while it's still a classic and still my favorite, it has been dissected and analyzed so much that it's quite trivial unless you impose limits on yourself.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I liked FFX because the world felt so coherent, like it was well thought-out in advance. And I actually... enjoyed FFX-2? The battle system was fun, but the game was often tedious.

I though FFXII wasn't horrible either. Interesting battle system, but the story wasn't very engaging.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

I loved the battle system in FFX-2. I also really liked the storyline. But the minigames drove me nuts. And you cannot, at all, get the best ending without a guide. My first time through I thought, well I'll play through the first 20-30 mins without a guide. I can't miss anything critical to the ending right? WRONG! By the time I realized my error, I was much too far in to justify starting over. Happy camper I was not. Via Infinito was really awesome though.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Mishrak wrote: By the time I realized my error, I was much too far in to justify starting over.

Nowadays I just google " *game* missables". Works out well.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Is it spoiler-free?

Return to “Gaming”