Need some help: Nintendo Wii versus Gamecube

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Need some help: Nintendo Wii versus Gamecube

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Well, after playing about an hour of Metroid Prime 3, I think "horrible controls" is just something to be expected on the Wii and consoles in general.

Jesus tapdancing christ, I've been more coordinated and more precise playing UT2k4 at a LAN party while shitfaced drunk than playing Metroid Prime 3 while stone sober. Seriously, I played that game for an hour and it gave me a fucking headache. I used to play Descent for hours on end and never even got disoriented and 60 minutes of Metroid Prime 3 gives me a headache. Ugh. I don't recall the first game being as... "swimmy" as #3. Feels like the entire game is floating on a puddle of water or some shit. Once I turned on the sensitivity to max and turned off the idiotic freelook-while-locked-on (what the fuck is the point of locking on then, jackass!?) I could actually reliably hit things, but it still controls like shit. At least the game is comically easy, even on "veteran."

But, seriously, I ain't exaggerating. I've played UT2k4 while completely shitfaced drunk better than I played this game while stone sober. The controls are abominable. Maybe this is why Nintendo went from "Nintendo Hard" to "even a 5 year old can beat it."

Maybe you just suck at using the Wii.

I'm being honest here. Every other reviewer/player/whatever has had MP3 controls play fine, including me. And the first hour of Metroid Prime two was 'comically easy', doesn't mean the rest of the game was - far from it :P

Also, have you got Brawl yet?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Maybe you just suck at using the Wii.

Probably. Aiming with the wiimote feels more natural than aiming with a joypad but it's still a shitload less precise and less stable than aiming with a mouse.

I'm being honest here. Every other reviewer/player/whatever has had MP3 controls play fine, including me. And the first hour of Metroid Prime two was 'comically easy', doesn't mean the rest of the game was - far from it :P

Also, have you got Brawl yet?

Nope.

Please tell me they don't bother with wiimote gestures for important moves. Swinging the wiimote and nunchuck around for attacks in Zelda was agonizing and really felt like it made timing attacks difficult (like the fight with the Zelda puppet where you play deathball tennis) compared to just mashing the A button for an attack. Again, it just comes back to precision, which I feel the Wii has a severe lack of compared to what I'm used to.

My issue with MP is somewhat different. The sensitivity for the actual AIMING is fine and works great, but the, I dunno, movement of the camera angle when you're looking around feels incredibly disorienting and makes rapidly spinning around take entirely too long - remember, I'm used to being able to barely flick my mouse and perform an instant 180.

I also hate the shape of the Z button. Holding it for long periods (like during extended boss fights) is really annoying because my grip on it starts to result in my finger starting to slide off it. I dunno if I'm holding it wrong or if my hands are some mutant shape or what. I ended up having to flip between "toggle on" and "hold Z" in Zelda for some fights (like the Zelda puppet fight since she spends 30 fucking minutes just flying around aimlessly before attacking each time.) I didn't see an option for toggle-lock on the MP3 options menu :(

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Brawl has like five different methods to choose from. I think one even lets you play one-handed with just the nunchuck. More importantly, you can play with the classic controller.

Manial

Postby Manial » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 am UTC

I think aiming with the wiimote is the best thing about the Wii: When I played MP1 on the Gamecube I got frustrated enough to quit at the second boss, but being able to aim with the wiimote made MP1 the amazing game everyone kept telling me it was. The Metroid Prime Trilogy is definitely the best Wii title there is (not sure if it's still being made though, which is a shame).

Also I agree that Other M should be a rental, there's basically no exploration in the game and it's incredibly linear. I ended up lending it to a friend when I was 3/4 of the way through and never bothered getting it back.

Endless Mike wrote:Brawl has like five different methods to choose from. I think one even lets you play one-handed with just the nunchuck. More importantly, you can play with the classic controller.
Also if you want that Melee feel, you can use a Gamecube controller.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 am UTC

It's just a matter of precision for me. Nothing on a console feels precise. It all feels sloppy and cobbled together rather than tight and refined. I agree that aiming with the wiimote is a lot better than using a joypad but to me that's akin to saying a second-degree burn feels better than a third-degree burn (hurr hurr trick analogy, third degree burns don't hurt because the nerve endings are burned off) - you're still horribly burned in the end.

I'll adapt. I just ground my teeth together and took it like a man for Zelda and I'm sure I'll just do it the same way for Metroid Prime 3, too. Doesn't stop me from going "holy shit this would be a fucking awesome game if I could use my mouse and keyboard for it," almost constantly though.

Return to “Gaming”