Need some help: Nintendo Wii versus Gamecube

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Beardhammer

Need some help: Nintendo Wii versus Gamecube

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:38 am UTC

So I've been wanting to play some old games like Metroid Prime and the Resident Evil remake, and while I suppose I could use Dolphin and try to emulate the games on my PC, somehow I think it'd be more fun if I could just sprawl out on the couch and play them - that's the main advantage of console games over PCs, right? (Plus, having experience fighting with PCSX2 to emulate various PS2 games, emulating the newer consoles is a complete bitch and can take hours of work to get everything to work right...... for one game.)

So here's the crux of my "problem." My buddy and I shared a GameCube back in the day - he got it for Christmas, but didn't always have time to play it, so we basically traded it back and forth, buying games we wanted for it, and that was fine. Only, now we've grown up and I live several hundred miles away, so it's not quite as simple as driving over to his house to grab it. But that's fine - I've got this little doohickey that gets me 30% off shipping from UPS from last time I had to use them, and I can definitely pay him for shipping and for the use of it (at this point, since he owns a Wii, I'd likely just be buying it from him outright.) In the off chance he no longer has it (possible, but unlikely) or it's no longer working, I checked and I can score a well-kept Gamecube with all the cables (but no gamepads or games) for $27.50 from eBay, with free shipping. Pretty slick.

But I got to thinking - the Wii is backwards compatible with GameCube games, Metroid Prime 3 is for the Wii only (and I'd also like to play Zelda: Twilight Princess and the Mario Galaxy games), and if the Wii is compatible with wireless internet (is it? I didn't think to check yet), I could even watch Netflix on it. However, it doesn't appear that I can get a quality Wii and the necessary cables and gamepads for anything under $100 (there are some refurbs/bundles on eBay for about $70 with $15 shipping, then I'd have to get a gamepad UNLESS you can use the Gamecube controllers to play Wii games.) ~$100 is a lot more than I'm looking to spend, but given that the Wii can play all of the GameCube titles AND the new titles... it almost seems worth it. It'd mean no more buying games on Steam for a long time... but I'll have about two dozen GameCube titles to replay and if I get a Wii, dozens of Wii titles to play, too... on top of the other games I play consistently on the PC (SC2, WoW, and I'm currently working through the Hitman games.)

So, xkcd forums, what do you suggest? About $35 for a GameCube, or about $100 for a Wii?

iamevn

Re: Need some help: Nintendo Wii versus Gamecube

Postby iamevn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am UTC

Yes, there is Netflix on the wii. I enjoy mine a lot, there are many great games out for it that, alongside the gamecube compatibility, will justify the purchase. :D

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Well, Netflix won't enter into the equation if the Wii can't access wireless internet. Is the Wii capable of using a wireless internet connection?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 am UTC

Well, on the subject of wifi, a quick google finds me this wikipedia article, which says:
The Wii has an 802.11b/g wireless adapter built-in. It is compatible with WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption. The Wii is also AOSS compatible as of the 3.0 system update.

So it sounds like you're all good there. It actually doesn't have an ethernet port, but does have wifi.

In terms of which option to go for, it really depends on what your personal finances are like. I know for me, $100 isn't a huge amount of money, so picking up the Wii would be an easy decision, but if you're short of cash and you don't have any desperate desire for the newer consoles then the gamecube might be the better choice for you. I'd probably still go for the Wii, it's just a way better party-game console, which can definitely be a valuable thing to own.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 am UTC

That's my thinking as well. $100 is more than I want to spend, but I can afford it.

Any idea if GameCube controllers can be used for Wii games? I know the Wii is supposed to have a slot for Gamecube controllers, and I really don't have any desire to use that weirdass dildo-with-a-vibrator controller setup.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 am UTC

unfortunately you have to use a GC controller for GC games, and you have to use a Wii controller for Wii games, the motion control is normally too important in games to be able to give it up.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:23 am UTC

Certain Wii games will accept a GC controller... look on the back of the box, there'll be an icon that says what controllers it supports (top right of the one in that link). The main games I've seen that support it are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros, both of which have a whole pile of different input options - Wiimote alone, Wiimote with nunchuck, Classic Controller (a SNES-like controller that plugs into the wiimote), or Gamecube controller. Most games, though, only have one input method available... the Mario Galaxy games, for instance, have to be played with wiimote/nunchuck. The virtual console games will let you use whatever, for the most part... though the GC controller can be a little awkward for some games (Super Mario World is pretty bad - the big A button is your spin jump, B is normal jump... so it's hard to do a running jump without some crazy hand contortions).

The Wii does support Wi-Fi, built-in. In fact, if you want a wired ethernet connection, you have to buy a separate dongle for that, which isn't even made any more... it's Wi-Fi or nothing.

When playing Gamecube games, the system goes into a sorta half-shutdown mode... everything that's not GC-related gets shut off. So you can't use the wiimotes for anything, and you can't get back to the Wii menu without rebooting the system. You have to play with a GC controller, and you have to store your games on a standard GC memory card. The Wii is basically a gamecube with extra crap nailed on... when you play a GC game, it just turns the extra crap off.

Netflix I can't comment on, since it isn't available in Aus anyway.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Get the Wii.

As others have said, the Wii does wireless, and it accepts GC controllers. Not all Wii games will work with a GC controller, but some will. Netflix works great on the Wii, particularly now that it's a channel rather than a disc you have to play.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:(and I'd also like to play Zelda: Twilight Princess and the Mario Galaxy games)
It is worth noting that Z:TP was in fact released on the Gamecube, and I've read some comments that suggest the Gamecube version is in fact in some ways superior. However, it is not a very common title and it will likely set you back far more than the Wii version, especially since the Wii version has now been released on a budget label.

I have also been mulling the purchase of a Wii; I have a perfectly good Gamecube that I purchased for $30 brand-new a year or two ago and, while I have of course not gotten around to playing any of them, I have managed to accumulate pretty much every game worth playing from Eternal Darkness to Skies of Arcadia. (Pikmin – and Z:TP, of course – remain elusive, darn it.) But I got to play Super Mario Galaxy once a year and a half ago and now I must have more! Maybe I'll wait until that far-off day when it gets released on a budget label too; if it can happen to Z:TP, why not SMG? (Realize that SMG is still selling for $50-$60, if I'm not mistaken.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:23 am UTC

Get an Xbox.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 am UTC

You will need at least one wii remote, even if you only get games that are compatible with GC controllers because the main menu does not accept input from anything else.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Get an Xbox.

Why? I already have a PC. There's nothing that's out on the Xbox that I have ANY interest in that isn't also out on the PC, and the PC is vastly superior platform. I'd love to play the Halo games, but there's no way in hell you're getting me to play a shooter with some shitty gamepad instead of WASD and my mouse.

Scored a Wii with all the bells and whistles (cords, wiimote, wiimote charger) and something called a Wii Play game disc. I figured that's just a disc for the OS or something. $83, including taxes and $15 for shipping. Not a bad deal.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Wii Play is just a minigame collection that shows off the Wiimote's motion controls. Odd, I thought Wii Sports was the Wii's bundled game... it was when I bought mine, at least. Shame, Wii Sports is a better collection than Wii Play is. Ah well, not to worry, you probably wouldn't play either of them a whole lot.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 am UTC

phlip wrote:Wii Play is just a minigame collection that shows off the Wiimote's motion controls. Odd, I thought Wii Sports was the Wii's bundled game... it was when I bought mine, at least. Shame, Wii Sports is a better collection than Wii Play is. Ah well, not to worry, you probably wouldn't play either of them a whole lot.

afaik wii sports was bundled with wiis until motion plus came out and then wii sports resort began being bundled, wii play was generally bundled with extra controllers, i have never seen wii play bundled with a wii. however it may have been an old and shortlived bundle which might explain why beardhammer got it so cheap.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am UTC

phlip wrote:Wii Play is just a minigame collection that shows off the Wiimote's motion controls. Odd, I thought Wii Sports was the Wii's bundled game... it was when I bought mine, at least. Shame, Wii Sports is a better collection than Wii Play is. Ah well, not to worry, you probably wouldn't play either of them a whole lot.

afaik wii sports was bundled with wiis until motion plus came out and then wii sports resort began being bundled, wii play was generally bundled with extra controllers, i have never seen wii play bundled with a wii. however it may have been an old and shortlived bundle which might explain why beardhammer got it so cheap.

It's not a new Wii. It's a used Wii, and I'd assume the only game he had was Wii Play. Frankly I don't need any games (unless they're games I actually want to play, like the Zelda game or Smash Bros Brawl), so I was just glad the price wasn't increased because of the little Wii Play thing.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:

It's not a new Wii. It's a used Wii, and I'd assume the only game he had was Wii Play. Frankly I don't need any games (unless they're games I actually want to play, like the Zelda game or Smash Bros Brawl), so I was just glad the price wasn't increased because of the little Wii Play thing.

to be honest, wii play is pretty worthless, so it's just aswell you didn't pay for it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Why?

Out of curiosity, did you get the Wii to play Gamecube games and run NetFlix through? And the, you know, one or two games for Wii you want to play?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Get an Xbox.

Kinect has potential. Maybe devs will one day use it.

Aside from that, I don't see any reason to get a Xbox ever?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Better system than the Wii, unless you like bowling for free in the comfort of your own living room. Considering the Gamecube runs for 30 bucks at a Gamestop, and he wanted to play Gamestop games, it seems silly to get a crappy 100$ system to do so.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

but Xboxes are like $200 right, so you are encouraging him sto spend ~$230 rather than ~$100 that was already bordering on too much? the OP clearly is not interested in console gaming beyond old gamecube games and a few wii exclusives, and has already stated he is happy with his PC, so why push getting an xbox?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Nope

I'm just suggesting that the Wii to play Gamecube games is stupid.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Nope

I'm just suggesting that the Wii to play Gamecube games is stupid.

i wasn't thinking about the possibilty of refurbs, but i see your point, but it's beard's money with which he can (and has) do(ne) what he wants,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Izawwlgood -

Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up

Have I made my point? Or do I need to make it louder?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Bigger text would have helped.
Point made, I'm out.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 am UTC

Beat Twilight Princess. About 34 hours into it, including the little Cave of Ordeals (which wasn't really a big deal) thing. Didn't bother with heart pieces and other crap. Honestly, the game kinda felt like a letdown after the Stallord fight in the desert temple, though smashing the giant spider with statues was also pretty fun. Plot didn't really make much sense at all, and I thought it was really odd how the game tries to emphasize how important Zelda is when she makes two twenty second appearances and then you don't see or even hear about her until the final showdown. I think I could've gotten the same results from playing up to and just past the desert temple and then just read a plot synposis and saved myself 10 hours of time. The ending is sad, I guess, but it makes perfect sense until you figure that Ganon ain't dead (yes, Ganon shows up - it's a goddamn Zelda game) and so the whole "prevent this from ever happening again" angle probably ain't gonna work out in the end. And poor Zelda's gonna have to deal with Link thinking about Midna the whole time they're in bed instead of her. Just no bueno all around, really.

I've got Metroid Prime 3 sitting on top of the TV, but I'm seriously considering not bothering until I get this Wii Motion Plus doohickey I hear mentioned. Manual aiming with the wiimote in Zelda was just goddamn awful, though I guess it's no worse than what it'd be like having to aim using a joypad. I haven't played Metroid Prime 2 yet, and haven't played the first game in years, but somehow I don't think the plot really matters - it's just gonna be find missiles, blow up Ridley (again), blow up Mother Brain (again), escape the planet before it explodes (... again.)

Any other Wii games I should be on the lookout for? I lost an auction for Madworld, which looked like a pretty slick little beat em up game. I really wish Okami was a Wii game since it really looks like a pretty awesome game. I figured the Mario Galaxy games and Smash Bros Brawl are givens, but are there any other games that really stand out as "must play" titles? I'll probably get Other M as well, if only to verify that the voice acting and plot really are as idiotic as people say they are.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:55 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:I really wish Okami was a Wii game since it really looks like a pretty awesome game.

There's a Wii version of Okami, I have it.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:58 am UTC

Lazar wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:I really wish Okami was a Wii game since it really looks like a pretty awesome game.

There's a Wii version of Okami, I have it.

Be still my beating heart.

Oh. While I'm thinking of it. Is there any fucking way to disable that ridiculously annoying speaker in the wiimote? Damned noisemaker thing was driving me bugshit the entire time. Why can't they give me real sound effects in the actual game and not shitty 1990s cellphone sound effects from a damned controller?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:02 am UTC

Press the Home button on your Wii Remote while the Wii is on. Select Wii Remote Settings at the bottom of your screen. Adjust the volume from there. Might need to hit the Wii Remote to the left of the volume to save your changes.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am UTC

Deva wrote:Press the Home button on your Wii Remote while the Wii is on. Select Wii Remote Settings at the bottom of your screen. Adjust the volume from there. Might need to hit the Wii Remote to the left of the volume to save your changes.

Much appreciated, duck-thing.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:I've got Metroid Prime 3 sitting on top of the TV, but I'm seriously considering not bothering until I get this Wii Motion Plus doohickey I hear mentioned. Manual aiming with the wiimote in Zelda was just goddamn awful, though I guess it's no worse than what it'd be like having to aim using a joypad. I haven't played Metroid Prime 2 yet, and haven't played the first game in years, but somehow I don't think the plot really matters - it's just gonna be find missiles, blow up Ridley (again), blow up Mother Brain (again), escape the planet before it explodes (... again.)

I don't think Metroid Prime 3 is Motion Plus compatible... and Metroid Prime 3 has an amazing control system, far better than the previous two. It's my favourite of the series.

TL;DR: PLAY IT NAO!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:45 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:I've got Metroid Prime 3 sitting on top of the TV, but I'm seriously considering not bothering until I get this Wii Motion Plus doohickey I hear mentioned. Manual aiming with the wiimote in Zelda was just goddamn awful, though I guess it's no worse than what it'd be like having to aim using a joypad. I haven't played Metroid Prime 2 yet, and haven't played the first game in years, but somehow I don't think the plot really matters - it's just gonna be find missiles, blow up Ridley (again), blow up Mother Brain (again), escape the planet before it explodes (... again.)

I don't think Metroid Prime 3 is Motion Plus compatible... and Metroid Prime 3 has an amazing control system, far better than the previous two. It's my favourite of the series.

TL;DR: PLAY IT NAO!

All of the things that SirBryghtside said are correct. MP3 is the best game in the series.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote: I'll probably get Other M as well, if only to verify that the voice acting and plot really are as idiotic as people say they are.

Oh God, I just realised you posted about this...

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get Other M. If you really want to try it, just rent it. Gameplay's cool, but it's way too short and the storyline isn't just bad, it drags the whole game down.

...do I really have to persuade you?

*sigh*

Spoiler:
Original Review, posted here in case you don't want to give that site views or something

The Metroid series has always been an interesting one - while all the other branches of Nintendo, like Mario, Zelda and Pokémon have been churning out the same thing with a couple of spin-offs every other week, Metroid has always been the one which has dared to go beyond the bounds of the generic. Their latest offering is no exception, and is definitely one of the most original games I've ever played.

The problem is, originality isn't everything.

I'll start off by going over the gameplay, because this was definitely where the game succeeded the most. The intuitive system of the WiiMote flick to change from third to first person view was a stroke of genius, as it introduces something that not many games manage to, or even think to achieve - making the controls themselves a part of the experience. Whether you're frantically switching the perspective during a boss fight, or delivering the final blow to a downed enemy, this element just works, and never feels clunky. The rest of the combat is just plain fun - most of this comes from three features - Sense Move, Lethal Strike, and Overblast (Linky!). These moves take a while to master, but once you have, the fights become visually stunning and incredibly fun sequences, each of which you can approach in a different way. The boss battles are similarly epic, although sometimes you can feel a tad distant from the gameplay, watching Samus pull of all the moves without you really doing much. The non-adjustable difficulty level doesn't help this, either - it is a very easy game, almost ridiculously so, most notably at the end when literally jumping on any enemy will kill it. Weirdly though, these issues feel surprisingly minor, and the combat is definitely the best part of the game.

The rest of the gameplay varies in quality - the puzzles, while usually being very easy to solve, do give you a vague feeling of satisfaction after completion. However, the game is totally linear - it sacrifices any sense of freedom it could have had, the devs throwing invisible walls in the most inappropriate places they could find, and holding you by the hand everywhere you go. The only part where you have any freedom is after the main story has ended, but it ends up as a bland pick-up grab - it doesn't help that the pick-ups are almost totally useless anyway (who needs more rockets when you can restore them on the go?). However, the most irritating part of the gameplay comes with the forced changes of perspective that crop up everywhere - for example, walking through certain doors throws you into an over-the-shoulder view, where Samus walks incredibly slowly, the worst part being when it switches you into first person perspective, making you search for something when there is no indication of what it actually is that you're supposed to be searching for. In spite of all this, though, the gameplay is incredibly captivating, and is definitely the best part of the game overall.

Now, onto the storyline. Unless you've been living under the internet equivalent of a rock for the past few weeks, then you'll know about the ongoing controversy on how they ruined Samus, how it's a misogynist nightmare, how it's turning her into Princess Peach... but I'm going to do my best to avoid this for the duration of this review, because, to put it bluntly, it's a load of over-inflated nonsense. Truth is, the storyline wasn't sexist, character destroying or anything.

It just sucked.

The bulk of the game is based in a 'Bottle Ship', where there are a three different biospheres, one Forest, one Ice, and one Lava, which is actually quite a cool part of the game, with detailed scenery everywhere, but the constant reminder that it is an illusion. Samus explores these with a group of 6 or 7 marines, and there's a neat little assassination subplot, which I must confess had me hooked. So, there's a lot of good general ideas, but that's not what matters - what really matters is the delivery. The general storytelling in Other M seems to be occasionally interesting parts in the main plotline followed by excruciatingly long and boring backstory, which is almost completely unnecessary. For example, in one scene Samus is listening to her orders, when it goes into the 'deep', 'meaningful' 'significance' of the fact that she puts her thumb down instead of up. There are three major problems with this - one, it is almost entirely random and needless, two, it breaks up the gameplay for about twenty minutes for you to watch the same scenes repeated in a cutscene, over and over, and worst of all, this same formula is repeated throughout - most noticeably at the end of the game when you have to sit through an even longer cutscene, only realising that you'd defeated the final boss half an hour ago when the credits roll. That's not to say that the story isn't interesting - because it could have been - but the way they put it across, cramming a whole novel's worth of plot into a short game, only portrayed through cutscenes, even skipping over the assassination subplot (arguably one of the story's strongest points), just didn't work. At all.

To wrap it up:
Metroid: Other M is a game that mixes original gameplay elements with awesome action sequences to produce an amazing gameplay experience all round. Had it not been for the painfully bad plot, this game would have been almost perfect - but the storyline really does get in the way of what is, otherwise, an epic game. But it really is worth your time to experience the gameplay of Metroid's latest offering - and it's a short game, so I'll finish up with one final word:

Rent?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:58 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Beardhammer wrote: I'll probably get Other M as well, if only to verify that the voice acting and plot really are as idiotic as people say they are.

Oh God, I just realised you posted about this...

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get Other M. If you really want to try it, just rent it. Gameplay's cool, but it's way too short and the storyline isn't just bad, it drags the whole game down.

...do I really have to persuade you?

*sigh*

Spoiler:
Original Review, posted here in case you don't want to give that site views or something

The Metroid series has always been an interesting one - while all the other branches of Nintendo, like Mario, Zelda and Pokémon have been churning out the same thing with a couple of spin-offs every other week, Metroid has always been the one which has dared to go beyond the bounds of the generic. Their latest offering is no exception, and is definitely one of the most original games I've ever played.

The problem is, originality isn't everything.

I'll start off by going over the gameplay, because this was definitely where the game succeeded the most. The intuitive system of the WiiMote flick to change from third to first person view was a stroke of genius, as it introduces something that not many games manage to, or even think to achieve - making the controls themselves a part of the experience. Whether you're frantically switching the perspective during a boss fight, or delivering the final blow to a downed enemy, this element just works, and never feels clunky. The rest of the combat is just plain fun - most of this comes from three features - Sense Move, Lethal Strike, and Overblast (Linky!). These moves take a while to master, but once you have, the fights become visually stunning and incredibly fun sequences, each of which you can approach in a different way. The boss battles are similarly epic, although sometimes you can feel a tad distant from the gameplay, watching Samus pull of all the moves without you really doing much. The non-adjustable difficulty level doesn't help this, either - it is a very easy game, almost ridiculously so, most notably at the end when literally jumping on any enemy will kill it. Weirdly though, these issues feel surprisingly minor, and the combat is definitely the best part of the game.

The rest of the gameplay varies in quality - the puzzles, while usually being very easy to solve, do give you a vague feeling of satisfaction after completion. However, the game is totally linear - it sacrifices any sense of freedom it could have had, the devs throwing invisible walls in the most inappropriate places they could find, and holding you by the hand everywhere you go. The only part where you have any freedom is after the main story has ended, but it ends up as a bland pick-up grab - it doesn't help that the pick-ups are almost totally useless anyway (who needs more rockets when you can restore them on the go?). However, the most irritating part of the gameplay comes with the forced changes of perspective that crop up everywhere - for example, walking through certain doors throws you into an over-the-shoulder view, where Samus walks incredibly slowly, the worst part being when it switches you into first person perspective, making you search for something when there is no indication of what it actually is that you're supposed to be searching for. In spite of all this, though, the gameplay is incredibly captivating, and is definitely the best part of the game overall.

Now, onto the storyline. Unless you've been living under the internet equivalent of a rock for the past few weeks, then you'll know about the ongoing controversy on how they ruined Samus, how it's a misogynist nightmare, how it's turning her into Princess Peach... but I'm going to do my best to avoid this for the duration of this review, because, to put it bluntly, it's a load of over-inflated nonsense. Truth is, the storyline wasn't sexist, character destroying or anything.

It just sucked.

The bulk of the game is based in a 'Bottle Ship', where there are a three different biospheres, one Forest, one Ice, and one Lava, which is actually quite a cool part of the game, with detailed scenery everywhere, but the constant reminder that it is an illusion. Samus explores these with a group of 6 or 7 marines, and there's a neat little assassination subplot, which I must confess had me hooked. So, there's a lot of good general ideas, but that's not what matters - what really matters is the delivery. The general storytelling in Other M seems to be occasionally interesting parts in the main plotline followed by excruciatingly long and boring backstory, which is almost completely unnecessary. For example, in one scene Samus is listening to her orders, when it goes into the 'deep', 'meaningful' 'significance' of the fact that she puts her thumb down instead of up. There are three major problems with this - one, it is almost entirely random and needless, two, it breaks up the gameplay for about twenty minutes for you to watch the same scenes repeated in a cutscene, over and over, and worst of all, this same formula is repeated throughout - most noticeably at the end of the game when you have to sit through an even longer cutscene, only realising that you'd defeated the final boss half an hour ago when the credits roll. That's not to say that the story isn't interesting - because it could have been - but the way they put it across, cramming a whole novel's worth of plot into a short game, only portrayed through cutscenes, even skipping over the assassination subplot (arguably one of the story's strongest points), just didn't work. At all.

To wrap it up:
Metroid: Other M is a game that mixes original gameplay elements with awesome action sequences to produce an amazing gameplay experience all round. Had it not been for the painfully bad plot, this game would have been almost perfect - but the storyline really does get in the way of what is, otherwise, an epic game. But it really is worth your time to experience the gameplay of Metroid's latest offering - and it's a short game, so I'll finish up with one final word:

Rent?

Rent for something like $6 for 3 days (if there are even video game rental places around here... I dunno if there are or not) or buy it used on eBay for $10 including shipping. Wonder which one is the better deal? :P

I heard you fight Nightmare in Other M. Any idea if he's as tough as he is in Fusion?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
Rent for something like $6 for 3 days (if there are even video game rental places around here... I dunno if there are or not) or buy it used on eBay for $10 including shipping. Wonder which one is the better deal? :P

I heard you fight Nightmare in Other M. Any idea if he's as tough as he is in Fusion?
I haven't played Fusion - only games I've played are Other M and Prime 3, 2, and the start of 1 (yeah, I played them in reverse order 8) ), but I really doubt it. The whole game is ridiculously easy.

But yeah, renting for £3 sounds reasonable enough - as I said, it's a very short game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Lots of people seem to like Mega Man 9 and 10 (9 more than 10), but those are Wiiware.

I for one would also like to take my sweet time with New Super Mario Bros Wii someday, but that may not be your kind of thing.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

I will counter and say to get Other M, skip all cutscenes, and enjoy the game. I'd probably place it in my top 3 for Wii games, and definitely consider it better than Prime 3 (The prime series got worse with each iteration imo, though likely due to the "oh this isn't new..." feeling). Not to say any of the Prime games are bad. Yes it's easy, but... very few Metroid games haven't been.

For other recommendations, I would say Muramasa: The Demon Blade, which you can generally find a new copy of for $10-$15 no problem. It's a 2D side scrolling action adventure thingy, known for being difficult and repetitive. I'd recommend looking up a video or some such and seeing if it looks like something you'd enjoy first. If it is your style, it's a really good game.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I will counter and say to get Other M, skip all cutscenes, and enjoy the game. I'd probably place it in my top 3 for Wii games, and definitely consider it better than Prime 3 (The prime series got worse with each iteration imo, though likely due to the "oh this isn't new..." feeling). Not to say any of the Prime games are bad. Yes it's easy, but... very few Metroid games haven't been.

You can skip the cutscenes?!

Woah. That would've made the game hundreds of times better.

Also, I consider Prime 2 to be a pretty bad game.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Well, now that I know I can get Okami for the Wii, that's definitely my next pick. God that game looks like so much fun. I'll have to dig up a review to see how it handles Wii controls.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Unfortunately I recall that everyone found the Wii controls made it an absolutely miserable experience.

I might add that I seem to recall much favorable talk for Sonic and the Secret Rings, but maybe that's just because anything even marginally entertaining would have stood head and shoulders above ever other recent Sonic game at the time.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Well, after playing about an hour of Metroid Prime 3, I think "horrible controls" is just something to be expected on the Wii and consoles in general.

Jesus tapdancing christ, I've been more coordinated and more precise playing UT2k4 at a LAN party while shitfaced drunk than playing Metroid Prime 3 while stone sober. Seriously, I played that game for an hour and it gave me a fucking headache. I used to play Descent for hours on end and never even got disoriented and 60 minutes of Metroid Prime 3 gives me a headache. Ugh. I don't recall the first game being as... "swimmy" as #3. Feels like the entire game is floating on a puddle of water or some shit. Once I turned on the sensitivity to max and turned off the idiotic freelook-while-locked-on (what the fuck is the point of locking on then, jackass!?) I could actually reliably hit things, but it still controls like shit. At least the game is comically easy, even on "veteran."

But, seriously, I ain't exaggerating. I've played UT2k4 while completely shitfaced drunk better than I played this game while stone sober. The controls are abominable. Maybe this is why Nintendo went from "Nintendo Hard" to "even a 5 year old can beat it."

Return to “Gaming”