Kerbal Space Program

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Josephine

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Josephine » Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

The wobble and turning is probably part of your design, but capslock is the fine control button. You should also not be using solids at all, sticking small liquid tanks on the sides with small engines is lighter and lasts longer.

The ascent profile is probably also a big part of why it isn't working, you should never be turning 90 degrees all at once. I'd suggest the same thing as Slyreaper, but noting that it should be one long curve to 90 all the way up to a minimum of 70 KM, but 100 is a nice number and most people prefer that. What I usually do with my SAS is tap the button turning it off and then tap the button to rotate a few times and then quickly reapply the SAS. I almost never leave SAS off while I'm doing maneuvers. Another potentially useful thing I've found is that on the navball, the spot you're pointed at at the exact moment you turn the SAS on is where it will try to adjust to. That way, you can sometimes use the wobble of the ship to turn simply by cycling the SAS at the right moments.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Keep you ASAS on when you're going to turn, but hold F and just tap the key to turn, then release F. This will help you be more stable, and more easily judge how quickly you'll turn. Also, unless your craft is amazingly unwieldly, you probably don't want RCS on when you're doing the gravity turn.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu May 16, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

I've been thinking that but needed confirmation from those more experienced. thanks! I'll let you all know how I get on later this week when I have chance to get back to my PC.

Thank you all!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 16, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

To reiterate, at 10,000m, turn to 45 degrees to the East. At that point, start flipping back and forth between the rocket view and the map. When your highest altitude is going to hit 70,000m, cut your engines completely and drift on up there, then fire towards the horizon until you're in orbit (You can click on the high point, create a maneuver, and use that as a way of figuring out which way to point). Once you're in orbit, ascending or descending is easy.

Oh, and RCS doesn't do much below about 50-60,000m that fins can't do. Still useful to have, as fins can't do shit in 70k+

And you likely can do better by going slower. I've found fairly good fuel efficiency by matching your speed to 100kph + (a / 100) , where a = altitude, at least until 10,000m.

So at 2000 feet, you should be going 120. At 3000, 130, all the way up the line until you hit 200 at 10,000. Something something air resistance something something, don't really understand it, just know that it gets me up to 10,000 with a half-tank on my second stage rather than them being empty. And in many cases, I've found that I end up even throttling down as I get higher and higher. But once you hit 10,000, it's pretty safe to just go half-burn until you're going to hit 70km.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:When your highest altitude is going to hit 70,000m, cut your engines completely and drift on up there, then fire towards the horizon until you're in orbit (You can click on the high point, create a maneuver, and use that as a way of figuring out which way to point).

Aiming for 70,000m might be a little difficult. It means you don't have much room for steering errors or low thrust. Aiming a bit higher means more room for error but needs more delta v.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

I'm having problems with my two-stage rocket-lander. Basically there are two stages, and then a third stage for parachutes. However, every time I eject the first stage, the parachutes deploy automatically, instead of waiting for their stage; how do I stop this? It's already cost the lives of two Kerbals!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 am UTC

There's a staging sequence shown on your screen. Click and drag the parachutes to the top.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 am UTC

They were, but I found what was wrong; apparently having the ascent autopilot on Mechjeb set to 'autostage' will make your parachutes engage if they're the only things left, even if you don't have the autopilot on (I needed Mechjeb for the orbit info, so didn't even consider that could be the problem).

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

yurell wrote:They were, but I found what was wrong; apparently having the ascent autopilot on Mechjeb set to 'autostage' will make your parachutes engage if they're the only things left, even if you don't have the autopilot on (I needed Mechjeb for the orbit info, so didn't even consider that could be the problem).

Yeah, this is an annoying thing about MechJeb 2 that was not true of 1. There were a couple of long missions that would have been ruined if I weren't an obsessive quicksaver.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

After playing with this game for about half an hour I have determined that you people are all Wizards.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:After playing with this game for about half an hour I have determined that you people are all Wizards.

Pretty much.

Spoiler:

:mrgreen:

Keep at it. Awesome things await.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

It's one of those games with a rather steep learning curve. It does require a good amount of experimentation and failure before you figure out what works. Make use of the quicksave feature before doing anything drastic to get a better feel for how the game handles things.

Sly is pretty good at craft design, check out his videos
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Sly is a cheating bastard mathematician.

So, same difference, in this game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Probably one of those dirty applied mathematicians who work with numbers.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 22, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sly is a cheating bastard mathematician.

Motherfucking sorcerers.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed May 22, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Sly is a cheating bastard mathematician.

Motherfucking sorcerers mathemagicians.

FTFY.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Will

Postby Will » Wed May 22, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

0.20 is out! There's the cupola with IVA, and a 2.5m docking port! And a new game database system that lets you separate mods in their own folders instead of mashing them all together! And seats! And flags!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

I'm liking the cupola module.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

I can't quite make out that note...?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Left the emergency slide rule in the bottom right cabinet.

B.K.

P.S I ate all the snacks.

Edit: it's blurry even with graphics maxed out.

There's another post-it in there about not replacing fuses with bits of metal - there are spares!

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

I'm loving the large, unmanned command modules now. I can add them to the middle of my craft now without completely screwing over any structural integrity I may have had! And with the new docking ports, I'm making a new space station, which will hopefully be more stable than my previous one.

Bunbury

Postby Bunbury » Fri May 24, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Ahoy Kerbalnauts.

I'm pretty new to the game and have recently (also after reading this thread) figures out how to establish orbits, get to the Mun and land on it. Haven't yet been able to get off the surface again after landing, though, and have a problem with the rocket that might be able to do it:

A while (in-game days) after going for an elliptical orbit that should take me from Kerbin to the Mun, my controls freeze up. I can't change thrust, can't separate stages, can't use RCS, nothing. I have electricity, the flight log shows no events and Jebediah seems to be doing fine. Did anybody else have that problem? Is it possible that I killed my poor Kerbalnaut somehow (I had the same problem before with unmanned probes, back then it was apparently related to running out of electricity).

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sat May 25, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

The only thing that I can think of is that you're still in time accelerate mode. Make sure you're at 1x and try again.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

I'm utterly terrible. I've decided I'm going to get an orbit manually before I move on. The game's addicting, but argh is it hard.

I want an ion engine, powered by electricity.
Omni.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun May 26, 2013 12:44 am UTC

There is an ion engine. It uses propellant, naturally, but it is exceedingly efficient at using that propellant.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Bunbury

Postby Bunbury » Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 am UTC

If I left time compression on, then stupid me ;) Will take care to set it to 1 and see whether the problem ever comes up again.

Have been to the moon and back, now I'm trying to meet with a fuel tank in orbit... orbital rendezvous are hard!

Jep, the game is kinda addictive and very much fun.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun May 26, 2013 7:53 am UTC

I found orbital rendezvous harder than landing on other planets =P

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon May 27, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Yakk wrote:There is an ion engine. It uses propellant, naturally, but it is exceedingly efficient at using that propellant.

I can't squeeze enough in to get into orbit. I'm trying for a space plane with'em
Omni.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon May 27, 2013 1:36 am UTC

Ion engine should really only be used once you're in space; I didn't even think they had enough thrust to counteract their own mass' attraction to gravity.

And I only just discovered yesterday that acceleration due to air resistance in KSP is independent of mass, which is incredibly annoying and wrong.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Well, ion engines were made for use in tiny satellites. It's already difficult to do a space plane with regular engines, even more with ion engines.

Edit: And yurell, they don't. The maximum thrust is 500N and the mass of the engine+tank is 370kg.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon May 27, 2013 2:50 am UTC

... Yeah I just realized you could look at actual thrust numbers and mass numbers so I feel really dumb for trying

I did get a space plane off the ground... sort of. I can't work out solar panels in a manner that won't fly off terribly when I try to take off, but if I use just batteries I can actually manage to get off the ground
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 27, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Whoawhoa, ion drives are for space.

Space planes shouldnt need solar panels.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 am UTC

But ion engines are cool... and if you have a space plane with ion engines you can manage to get into space, unlike with a jet (though your total lack of control surfaces would do you in)
Omni.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 am UTC

You can get into space with normal rocket engines on a space plane, can't you? I've seen a number of surface-to-orbit space planes, so it's definitely doable, and you can have your ion engines attached to only go off when you reach space.

Will

Postby Will » Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Ion engine should really only be used once you're in space; I didn't even think they had enough thrust to counteract their own mass' attraction to gravity.

And I only just discovered yesterday that acceleration due to air resistance in KSP is independent of mass, which is incredibly annoying and wrong.

The current aerodynamic model is crap. The devs are planning to make it better in some nebulous point in the future, but in the meantime there's the Ferram Aerospace Research plugin, which is quite good. I had to install it because the aerodynamic model is *terrible* when flying planes, and since I fly *actual* planes in real life I couldn't stand flying planes with a nonsensical aerodynamic model.

Also! It lets you customize whether a control surface is for pitch, yaw or roll, or turn them into flaps or airbrakes!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

I don't even fly planes in real life, just in various simulators since ... MS Flightsim 4 or something... and holy shit do KSP's planes make no goddamn sense.

I'll have to get that mod.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am UTC

I found a website which generates ribbons based on your accomplishments in KSP. I did up an example for my current save game (click the ribbons to get to the site):
The ribbons look pretty awesome, and their a nice vanity bauble.

Edit: Oh, and I think I made a mistake sending my emergency refueller (four full orange tanks) to Moho with only one nuclear engine ...

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Omni.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Something horrifying has happened.

I see the kerbalnauts have mastered the alcubierre drive.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Ralith The Third wrote:Something horrifying has happened.

I see the kerbalnauts have mastered the alcubierre drive.

No, that's still only 2% of the speed of light. It's not even relativistic yet.

Return to “Gaming”