Wii U - (a.k.a. Wii 2, Wii HD and Project Café)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

legopelle

Wii U - (a.k.a. Wii 2, Wii HD and Project Café)

Postby legopelle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Nintendo presented their new console at E3 yesterday. Project Café will be called "Wii U".
http://kotaku.com/5809686/everything-we ... sole-wii-u

Spoiler:

It will be HD-compatible, be backwards-compatible with the Wii games and accessories, use a proprietary "hight-density" disc format and the controller will have a 6,2'' touch-screen of sub-HD resolution.

Looks interesting, but the controller seems bulky. But apparently that's not an issue, according to first-hand sources.

So... watcha think?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Kag

Re: Wii U - (a.k.a. Wii 2, Wii HD and Project Café)

Postby Kag » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Interested concept, I'm glad that Nintendo finally seems to be getting third party developers on board, it will probably sell a hojillion units.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 am UTC

That controller looks really unwieldy. It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

I also predict that games will be forced to either use the screen almost exclusively (it's a touchscreen, right?) or not at all, or switch between them with minigames using one or the other. I'm not sure how you would be able to use the controls and the screen in tandem.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Wii U - (a.k.a. Wii 2, Wii HD and Project Cafe)

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am UTC

I imagine it would be like the DS... have the main action on one screen, and various status indicators, maps, and less important fluff on the other screen. Possibly using it for extra buttons and options, when the touchscreen is used as the secondary screen.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:03 am UTC

They showed it being used like that, but they also used it to throw a ninja star at the tv (by swiping the touchscreen) and to catch a ball (I'm having difficulty describing what I mean. If you can find a recording of their press conference, just watch it)
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

They also said you can play games directly on the controller if you want, but I guess it would depend on the game. It's definitely interesting. I'm curious to see pricing.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

A few things I've heard, though I've not confirmed any and it could just be wild speculation:

You can point it at the TV and it will zoom in on that section, acting like a zoom on a camera. Meaning a sequel to Pokemon Snap is required.
There will be only one 'screen controller' per console, and normal interface will use Wiimotes. (I sincerely hope this one isn't true, as it makes the possibilities much less interesting on the multiplayer front).
People trying it at E3 have said it fits snugly in your grasp. I personally can't imagine this as being true yet.

I really enjoyed doing the GBA-GCN connections back in the day for Zelda Four Swords and FF: Crystal Chronicles. I've been hoping they'd try to expand on that, and this might be the chance.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I'm afraid the screen in the controller will drive the price of it way up. Not a lot of fun if you'd like to play with friends/family and can only afford the one that came in the package.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I really enjoyed doing the GBA-GCN connections back in the day for Zelda Four Swords and FF: Crystal Chronicles. I've been hoping they'd try to expand on that, and this might be the chance.

Fffffff PAC-MAN VS. 2!!!!!!!!!!

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

I'm quite excited for it, even though it's going to be at least another year before it comes out, (my guess is September 2012).

My biggest worry is that it'll only stay relevant for a year or two before the next Playstation and Xbox come out - and they're sure to be much more powerful - meaning that we'll get a scenario like today where the Wii is either overlooked or given a horrible watered down version of multiplatform games.

Also I really hope they change the appearance of the console itself, because it looks far too similar to the earlier Xbox 360s.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

This is How I imagine the conversation going.

Iwata: Hey Miyamoto, we've done 3D, we've done Motion controls, and we've done touchscreens, what's the next big innovation?
Miyamoto: I have no clue, i'm just as stumped as everyone else
Iwata: That seals it, we'll just duct tape a DS to a Wii and sell that!

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

That controller is aggravating. Worse than a motion stick (or any motion controls for that matter) is a damn tablet for controls.

Give me my gamecube controller back, makes games like Zelda much more bearable.

Trying to minimize buttons for generally imprecise motion feedback and touch controls makes for serious shitty gameplay on twitch, accuracy reliant games.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Obviously the next innovation for controllers for consoles is a mouse. Or rather, an upside down mouse in the form of the good old TRACKBALL! It won't even have to make that horribly annoying whirring sound when you scroll it quickly, because the ball can be tracked optically.

Think of it, the control and flexibility of a mouse in a tiny little ball under your thumb! Honestly I'm shocked it isn't in all controllers already.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:That controller is aggravating. Worse than a motion stick (or any motion controls for that matter) is a damn tablet for controls.

Give me my gamecube controller back, makes games like Zelda much more bearable.

Trying to minimize buttons for generally imprecise motion feedback and touch controls makes for serious shitty gameplay on twitch, accuracy reliant games.
I'm curious how (outside of size) this controller would be inherently inferior to the gamecube controller. They both have 2 analog sticks, 4 face buttons, a d-pad, 2 shoulder buttons... oh, wait. Z button! One button for replacement with a touch screen, unacceptable!

I agree that imprecise motion controls on infuriating. I never finished Donkey Kong Country Returns because I could stand the things that were motion controlled, when everything controlled as such would have been more effective on a button (Developers: Do not treat a 'waggle' as another button). However, having the shoulder buttons and a normal layout at least says to me that it's headed in the right direction. I mean, it still looks awkward... that controller has a screen! But thinking about it like I would a DS, I never was too uncomfortable holding one of those.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

This actually has moving discs, not technically sticks. Like the 3DS, I assume, which works pretty well. And it has two shoulder buttons and two triggers, so the Z button is more or less there.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

but will the online multiplayer be a shit like on the wii
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

Seems pretty unwieldy. I wager most Nintendo buyers today are people who use it for party games; I can't imagine those controllers are going to be amenable to 4-way gaming, let alone cheap.

It's a cool concept I guess, I just doubt Nintendo will put together enough content to justify it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:but will the online multiplayer be a shit like on the wii

They've already improved it on the 3DS by having unified friend codes. It's still not that great, though, but at least you don't have input a code for every game. There's also a mic in the controller, so everyone will be able to voice chat.
Izawwlgood wrote:Seems pretty unwieldy. I wager most Nintendo buyers today are people who use it for party games; I can't imagine those controllers are going to be amenable to 4-way gaming, let alone cheap.

I think they said that only one can be paired to the system and other players will use normal Wiimotes. I would imagine that all players can use Wiimotes if preferred (depending on game).

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:This actually has moving discs, not technically sticks. Like the 3DS, I assume, which works pretty well. And it has two shoulder buttons and two triggers, so the Z button is more or less there.
Interesting. I didn't know it had the discs, I think I kinda prefer those. I was unaware there were 4 shoulder buttons (basically). Pictures I'd seen didn't make that clear.

Price is definitely something I'd be concerned about. They've also made no mention of online, but I would hope making the jump to HD also convinces them to give a go at something that isn't friend codes. Hopefully the way of Sony/PC, ie free.
Endless Mike wrote:I think they said that only one can be paired to the system and other players will use normal Wiimotes. I would imagine that all players can use Wiimotes if preferred (depending on game).
:( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~! :( I understand how that would be costly (getting 4 U controllers), but it would be nice if it was at least an option (For aforementioned, GBA-GCN like fun).

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

That would be kinda disappointing if only one can be paired up to a system.

Having screens in the controller could be useful for multiplayer games where they share one main screen. Recall back to when they tried to get games to use gameboys as controllers (crystal chronicles, four swords). It was really nice to be able to sort through menus without pausing the main screen.

Oh well, I guess the main concern for me is the game library. The wii wasn't really fun past a handful of games, and I haven't touched it in years.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

Tested has more pictures of the controller where you can see the triggers and the analog discs. It also mentioned connecting multiple tablets, but doesn't seem to source it. Commenters are discussing this and it sounds like Nintendo hasn't really said either way, but all the press photos and videos show one tablet, and then regular Wiimotes.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Manial wrote:I'm quite excited for it, even though it's going to be at least another year before it comes out, (my guess is September 2012).

My biggest worry is that it'll only stay relevant for a year or two before the next Playstation and Xbox come out - and they're sure to be much more powerful - meaning that we'll get a scenario like today where the Wii is either overlooked or given a horrible watered down version of multiplatform games.

Also I really hope they change the appearance of the console itself, because it looks far too similar to the earlier Xbox 360s.

I wouldn't expect the graphical capabilities to increase by much without making development prohibitively expensive.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Commenters are discussing this and it sounds like Nintendo hasn't really said either way, but all the press photos and videos show one tablet, and then regular Wiimotes.

I've seen it suggested that the demos shown so far might be focusing on the use of a single tablet because this approach means you can play U Sports and MariU Party with four people at launch, without having to buy three expensive tablet controllers. The Wii remote was already very expensive, so I can only imagine the U Screen (iScreen, Wii All-Screen for iScreen?) will be even more expensive.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:25 am UTC

If they learned anything from their Wii supremacy, it should be that cost efficient consoles sell best. The PS3 and Xbox all boasted greater graphics, but any gamer worth a damn knows that graphics is just a fraction of what makes a game sell.

$400 consoles in addition to expensive controllers and then having to buy the games is going to severely cut down on who can have access to it.

In fact, consoles are already losing ground to gaming apps on phones for that reason, becausecinematic graphics aren't what's necessary to make a game great, and people would rather have a multi-purpose, practical smartphone with $15-20 games than not particularly portable gaming systems with 50 bucks a piece in a market saturated with bad games by now, making people hesitant to spend 50 bucks on a game.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:07 am UTC

They are really different markets, with different expectations and different core experiences.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 am UTC

As it turns out, apparently we still don't have any clue at all what the Wii U's graphics will look like. I'd guess it's probably still somewhat accurate - assuming Nintendo will probably aim for the pricepoint the 360 and PS3 are at right now, adding a little to turn a profit off the hardware, and cutting a bit for cheaper hardware in the future, that sounds like about the right level of graphics power - but my guess is as good as anyone else's, apparently.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:As it turns out, apparently we still don't have any clue at all what the Wii U's graphics will look like. I'd guess it's probably still somewhat accurate - assuming Nintendo will probably aim for the pricepoint the 360 and PS3 are at right now, adding a little to turn a profit off the hardware, and cutting a bit for cheaper hardware in the future, that sounds like about the right level of graphics power - but my guess is as good as anyone else's, apparently.

We do have some idea, since only the third-party reel shown used footage from other platforms, which that article does a somewhat poor job of explaining. The first-party demos shown were shown running on the Wii U, I believe. Most notably the shiny HD Zelda one, which was actually semi-interactive and used the tablet, and which is generally agreed to look pretty spiffy and have all the fancy effects you'd expect from a HD console... though it remains to be seen whether that can be maintained with a smooth framerate during actual gameplay.

Manial

Postby Manial » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:As it turns out, apparently we still don't have any clue at all what the Wii U's graphics will look like. I'd guess it's probably still somewhat accurate - assuming Nintendo will probably aim for the pricepoint the 360 and PS3 are at right now, adding a little to turn a profit off the hardware, and cutting a bit for cheaper hardware in the future, that sounds like about the right level of graphics power - but my guess is as good as anyone else's, apparently.
We do have some idea, since only the third-party reel shown used footage from other platforms, which that article does a somewhat poor job of explaining. The first-party demos shown were shown running on the Wii U, I believe. Most notably the shiny HD Zelda one, which was actually semi-interactive and used the tablet, and which is generally agreed to look pretty spiffy and have all the fancy effects you'd expect from a HD console... though it remains to be seen whether that can be maintained with a smooth framerate during actual gameplay.
Also I'm pretty sure the Tekken segment was running on a Wii U - the drawing on Jin's face looked a lot like it was being done on a tablet.

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:Obviously the next innovation for controllers for consoles is a mouse. Or rather, an upside down mouse in the form of the good old TRACKBALL! It won't even have to make that horribly annoying whirring sound when you scroll it quickly, because the ball can be tracked optically.

Think of it, the control and flexibility of a mouse in a tiny little ball under your thumb! Honestly I'm shocked it isn't in all controllers already.
Some modder replaced the right analog stick on a 360 controller with a trackball. I believe you can buy it from them (for quite a lot of money). I don't have the link, though.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

I think my reaction is best summed up by saying that I find the Wii U intriguing. I remember how excited I was about the Wii and its motion controls, and this isn't grabbing me so immediately. On the other hand, I'm glad to see that shoulder buttons and a more conventional face button layout are making a comeback, and the idea of using the touchscreen as a sort of in-game AR device (seems to be shown in this article) opens up some interesting possiblities (a new Metroid where the U controller doubles up as different visors would be my first thought).
There isn't that much information available at the minute, so I'm not willing to make a decision on whether I might buy one or not. I think it's one where I'd want to try it out before I buy, so will be waiting for playable units to appear.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 am UTC

Word on the street (Engadget) is that the processor is related to the chip in Watson, which means it should be significantly more powerful than the PS3, as long as there's a decent amount of RAM.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Return to “Gaming”