Nintendo 3DS - Soon to be Cheaper, Still Headache Inducing

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Nintendo 3DS - Soon to be Cheaper, Still Headache Inducing

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:53 pm UTC

Nintendo today had an event where they released all the necessary info about the upcoming 3DS. Important info is that the same colors for the Japan release (aqua and black) will be in the US release. It'll have a $249 price at release, and comes with a bunch of stuff, including some AR cards that do silly things. In the "launch window" (defined by NOA as the time between release and E3), 30 games are expected to be released.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/ ... 27-for-250

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Nintendo 3DS: March 27 (US), $249

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

... I almost reflexively deleted this thread, for the record.

!!Nintendo DS: Buy Here $100 CheapDS.com!!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Wasn't there already one out called the 3DS? I'm confused. Can somebody simplify the DS food chain?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

DS (Classic, as it were) - Big'n'Chunky
DS Lite - Slim'n'Sassy
DSi - Goodbye GBA port, Hello Camera and SD Card Slot!, still Slim'n'Sassy
DSi XL - For those who want a DSi but miss the Big'n'Chunky option.
3DS - Like the DS line, but in THREEEEE DEEEEEEEEE.... in spaaaaaaaaaaccceee!
Somewhere in there the screens get bigger or something, I forget.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Wasn't there already one out called the 3DS? I'm confused. Can somebody simplify the DS food chain?
The simplest way to look at it is that there's only been one DS so far. The 3DS is the next iteration.

To put in more complexly:
[DS -> DS lite -> DSi -> DS XL] -> [3DS]

Where everything in [] is essentially the same system with a new design/feature. Very typical of Nintendo to iterate one their original design a few times before releasing the next one in line. What sets the 3DS apart is capability to play 3DS games on the previous systems (you can't).

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... I almost reflexively deleted this thread, for the record.

Haha, I was worried about that, actually.
mosc wrote:Wasn't there already one out called the 3DS? I'm confused. Can somebody simplify the DS food chain?

Beaten, but I'll post, anyway:

Nope. To date:

DS: Original "fat" DS
DS Lite: Mostly the same as the DS in terms of hardware, but smaller and lighter with slightly larger and brighter screens, plus some additional minor changes/improvements
DSi: Added two cameras, faster CPU, more system RAM, internal flash memory, online store, built in web browser, SD card reader, removes GBA slot, slightly larger screens
DSi XL: Identical hardware to DSi except that it's larger (same screen resolution, though)
3DS: Yet to be released, significantly faster (brings it from slightly more powerful than N64 to something around GameCube power, reportedly), adds a "stick" thing, and glasses-free 3D top screen

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:... I almost reflexively deleted this thread, for the record.

Haha, I was worried about that, actually.

Beaten, but I'll post, anyway:

Nope. To date:

DS: Original "fat" DS
DS Lite: Mostly the same as the DS in terms of hardware, but smaller and lighter with slightly larger and brighter screens, plus some additional minor changes/improvements
DSi: Added two cameras, faster CPU, more system RAM, internal flash memory, online store, built in web browser, SD card reader, removes GBA slot, slightly larger screens
DSi XL: Identical hardware to DSi except that it's larger (same screen resolution, though)
3DS: Yet to be released, significantly faster (brings it from slightly more powerful than N64 to something around GameCube power, reportedly), adds a "stick" thing, and glasses-free 3D top screen

I always feel like I'm the only person in the world with a non-broken original DS... it's awesome.

Anyway, is there any news on how much that is in Pounds Sterling or however you say it? [insert conversion site] said it was around £150, but the rates are so screwed up right now I can't tell...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

But there were no DSi ONLY games, right? At least none that didn't involve grooming horses or glorified chat for pedophiles?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

mosc wrote:But there were no DSi ONLY games, right? At least none that didn't involve grooming horses or glorified chat for pedophiles?

There are, through the DSi Store. I'm not sure what the collection is like on that, though...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

For those who want the English price, it's £230 pounds on pre order from HMV. Nice conversion rate there.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

is HMV Her Magesty's Vendor? Have I just been reading too many naval novels lately?

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

His Master's Voice

/useless knowledge away!
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:-quote pyramid-
I always feel like I'm the only person in the world with a non-broken original DS... it's awesome.

I wish I could say mine isn't fully broken. I mean, it still works fine, it is just one of two pieces of plastic that holds the top screen section on somehow broke.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

My original DS worked fine last time I tried it, which was right before I got a DSi.

According to Wiki, there's exactly four retail DSi only games. DSiWare has a lot more of varying quality.

Shinyiest

Postby Shinyiest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Because I'm in Australian and I'm going to visit America I was going to buy a 3DS there since it is much cheaper than here.
I heard there is region settings or similar ( I forget the exact wording) which means any 3DS game I buy in Aus won't work on my American 3DS.

Is this true or not?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

Yep. Nintendo's confirmed region locking this go around, which sucks.

This site says that Australia will be sharing a model with Europe, so you might be able to save some money importing from there? (And from what I gather, it might still be cheaper to import games from the US than to buy them in Australia.)

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15618-nin ... -decision/

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Yep. Nintendo's confirmed region locking this go around, which sucks.

This site says that Australia will be sharing a model with Europe, so you might be able to save some money importing from there? (And from what I gather, it might still be cheaper to import games from the US than to buy them in Australia.)

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15618-nin ... -decision/

Also if the past is any indication, American versions are likely to come out significantly sooner and with less censorship. It might be entirely worth it to just import everything.

Why do companies region lock? What do they gain out of it? That's something I've never really understood.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Nintendo's claim is that it's because the 3DS has built-in parental controls that are based on the local rating systems, but I'm not sure how much I believe that since I kind of doubt every country in Europe uses the same system. I think it's largely because they want to account for sales in the region they're being used.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:59 am UTC

That makes sense, I guess, but both as someone who imports games occasionally and the friend of people who import games, this strikes me as them not accepting my business.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

The AR cards have been done before on the Playstations and the PSPs. But nice to see Nintendo picking up the tech too. Cannot wait until there is full AR games. With the Knect and such, it's getting closer. :D
PS, does the 3DS have a stereoscopic camera pair?
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

There's AR games built into the system. I was listening to the Weekend Confirmed podcast and Garnet Lee was talking about his experiences with it. One of the cards starts with a little box person on your table, which you shoot, and then he unfolds into a big island on the table with a bunch of tagets you have to shoot, but you have to actually get up and move around to find them all. Pretty neat, and I would imagine they can put out more. The cards are just a way for the system to calibrate, really. And yeah, it has a 3D camera pair on the outside (vs. the inside camera). Pictures are only viewable on the 3DS, though.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Also if the past is any indication, American versions are likely to come out significantly sooner and with less censorship.
And the European will come out with even less censoring. Well, it is to be released this friday here at least. My reservation stands with a copy of Street Fighter In Vitro 3D. Yeah.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

I'm getting Pilotwings Resort. SSF4 is cool and all, but I know I won't really play it.

Apparently, if you print out giant versions of the AR cards, the images produced are similarly giant-sized. There's PDFs available on Nintendo's Japanese site somewhere.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I'm getting Pilotwings Resort. SSF4 is cool and all, but I know I won't really play it.

Apparently, if you print out giant versions of the AR cards, the images produced are similarly giant-sized. There's PDFs available on Nintendo's Japanese site somewhere.

Really? Do want that, cuz I think the printers in school can print A3-size. To Google and beyond!
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:My original DS worked fine last time I tried it, which was right before I got a DSi.

According to Wiki, there's exactly four retail DSi only games. DSiWare has a lot more of varying quality.

I have to say that I just got a DSi. I considered the 3DS, but because the main reason I wanted a new DS was because of the 14+ hour bus ride to St. Louis I have in the last week of April, and then back, and I was worried my aforementioned phat DS with a broken hinge wouldn't last, I felt the 3D was not a good enough trade to compensate for the increased price tag and lower battery life. That, and there are no 3DS exclusive Pokemon games yet...

So, I got the DSi. I think the loss of GBA slot was worth it, especially since I still have a fully functioning GBA SP.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I always feel like I'm the only person in the world with a non-broken original DS... it's awesome.
Well, my phat DS would be perfectly operational if it weren't for my tiny error of bringing it to and into the Naples Bay . :?

Edit: I checked the pricing, and a Swedish 3DS would be about 400 USD. Ugh. I guess our currency have regained strength with prices non-changing.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:His Master's Voice

/useless knowledge away!

That is so kinky :lol: .

Anyway, yeah, ouch. 249 is pretty mean >_<. I think I'll stick with my fat DS and buy a DS Lite one next, I have plenty of GBA games I enjoy (Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire ftw) so I'm hesitant to lose the GBA slot.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Someone made an AR Card app for Android. Similarly, the cards can be loaded onto an iPhone. Or anything that can read a PDF. Yes, you can turn your TV into a giant AR card if you so wish.

http://kotaku.com/#!5784755/your-androi ... ds-ar-card

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Chipping in my two cents' worth, with the addition of $350 AUD, I'm confident I'll be happy with the purchase. I had a crack at a demo event this afternoon and was massively impressed by the hardware. That said, the Australian launch lineup is a bit of a slap.
Anyone else entirely sold on the concept?
Sapere aude.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Faster DS and analog controls? Yeah, that didn't take much convincing for me, really. 3D is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Daojia wrote:Chipping in my two cents' worth, with the addition of $350 AUD, I'm confident I'll be happy with the purchase. I had a crack at a demo event this afternoon and was massively impressed by the hardware. That said, the Australian launch lineup is a bit of a slap.
Anyone else entirely sold on the concept?

Well, my order is dispatched and recieved. It's amazing.

The thing that impressed me the most wasn't the 3d, but the AR. It's spooky how well it actually works. Then there's the FaceRaiders. And it's hilarious! Seriously.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D is very good. I haven't actually played any earlier instalments, but this is great! There's some functions for beginners like me. Some are good, like linking several buttons to one and some are downright cheating, mapping entire combos to one button. HADOUKEN!

Awesome machine, awful price.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

I'm thinking about getting one of these machines for my birthday in a couple months before I go off to college. It'll be my first portable system since the GBC. I'm not too worried about reverse compatibility with the GBA, since any game I would want is out in ROM form. (Yes, I have no scruples. Save your tongue lashing.)
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

master00sniper

Postby master00sniper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:53 am UTC

My brother picked up 2 Nintendo 3DS's yesterday that he had preordered from Game Stop. He opened up one of them (the other one he is hoping to sell for a profit in case they sell out) and I had a chance to play around with it. Quite honest its the first Nintendo hand held that I actually want to own. The 3D truly is spectacular without glasses.

Like the poster above me said, the augmented reality is especially awesome. Its hard to describe in words. Its something you really gotta see for yourself. The face game is pretty cool too :P

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 am UTC

I'm still waiting for someone to record a 3ds with a 3ds. So you can see the 3d effect in a 3d effect video! (And upload it to 2d Youtube!)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:(And upload it to 2d Youtube!)

You could upload the left and right parts as separate videos, and then play the videos side-by-side (I'm sure there's some YouTube-remixing site that'll do this for you automatically) and make people go crosseyed at it...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:44 am UTC

I played around with one at gamestop. Holy christ did this thing give me a headache. It's pretty and a ton of fun, but after about 20 minutes I walked out of the store feeling like I just got hit by a truck.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 am UTC

Huh. I don't get any sort of headaches from the 3DS at all. And I do get headaches from 3D movies if they're too long (though less so than other people I know). I can get eye strain if I play too long with the 3D slider all the way up, but that's mostly because it makes the virtual cameras too far apart to be physically reasonable, and with the slider at a middling value I could play for ages without ill effects.

I guess the moral of the story is: it's going to vary a bunch from one person to the next; if it's at all practical to try before you buy, you should do so.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Yeah, the 3D doesn't bother me at all, and even if it does bother people, there's a slider to turn it off. I never really considered it more than a gimmick, anyway, so it wouldn't really bother me to play in 2D. I've also found I walk a bit more than 3000 steps on a regular commute to and from work. Also, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a really fun game. Check it out!

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Bumping this thread because Nintendo just announced they're dropping the price of the 3DS to 169USD / 250AUD / 15000JPY (NOE haven't announced what the price will be changed to, only that there will be a drop).

Anyone whose system accesses the 3DS eShop before 23:59 August 11th becomes '3DS Ambassador' and as compensation for buying at the higher price will receive1:

10 NES VC games including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, downloadable for free on September 1st and free updated versions2 when they are released to the rest of the 3DS users.

10 GBA VC games including Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™, available by the end of 2011, exclusively available to 3DS Ambassadors with no plans to sell these games3.

1Info taken from the NOE site but the games are the same for all regions from what I've heard.
2Free versions will be beta, supposedly.
3No plans does probably not mean never going to.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Bumping this thread because Nintendo just announced they're dropping the price of the 3DS to 169USD / 250AUD / 15000JPY (NOE haven't announced what the price will be changed to, only that there will be a drop).

Anyone whose system accesses the 3DS eShop before 23:59 August 11th becomes '3DS Ambassador' and as compensation for buying at the higher price will receive1:

10 NES VC games including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, downloadable for free on September 1st and free updated versions2 when they are released to the rest of the 3DS users.

10 GBA VC games including Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™, available by the end of 2011, exclusively available to 3DS Ambassadors with no plans to sell these games3.

1Info taken from the NOE site but the games are the same for all regions from what I've heard.
2Free versions will be beta, supposedly.
3No plans does probably not mean never going to.

Sweet. Free stuff.

Return to “Gaming”