Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kag

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Kag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:In the original Deus Ex, you were able to just run past the bosses or GEP Gun them in the face before they had a chance to talk to you. I miss that.

In the original Deus Ex, bosses were completely devoid of tension.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:26 am UTC

Kag wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:In the original Deus Ex, you were able to just run past the bosses or GEP Gun them in the face before they had a chance to talk to you. I miss that.

In the original Deus Ex, bosses were completely devoid of tension.

I didn't ask for this!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:11 am UTC

No tension from any of the antagonists means no dramatic impact to the plot. It's a foregone conclusion that you save the world or whatever because you're JC motherfucking Denton, your vision is augmented.

Even from a design angle. Bosses should break up the pace and force you to do something different, because Hiding Behind Chest High Walls Ex: Guards Have No Peripheral Vision Revolution would get boring long before the end of the game.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:05 am UTC

True. I think the main thing I disliked about the bosses were the arenas that you fought them in. You're locked in a cramped room with a few walls/pillars/boxes for cover. How cool would it be to not be locked in that room? What if you could backtrack through the whole level, with the boss following you and spawning new guards. You could set traps or sneak through vents that you had previously explored. Anything to make it feel less like an obligatory trope.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I haven't been able to get past the 3rd boss yet due to a hurricane knocking out my power and internet for 5 days, but I just wanted to share a fun "alternate solution."

In one level, there are two armed guards sharing humorous anecdotes about vending machines, and one stands directly in front of the locked security office (he doesn't wander.) I wanted to hack that terminal, but the guard was watching. So, the guard gave me an idea. I walked down the hall, yanked a vending machine off of the wall, and put it down right in front of the guard's face, as if to say "You mean THIS vending machine?" I then hacked the door in peace.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:46 am UTC

I was feeling vengeful and threw the vending machine at that guard until he died. The other guards heard his yelps of horror and started shooting at me. I looked back at the vending machine, picked it up, and promptly killed them with it. I thought we made a good team so I went through the rest of the level with him, killing everyone. I named him Smashi. Arabic.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Is it worth the fifty dollars?

I was kinda disappointed after seeing people saying they beat it over the course of a week...

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 am UTC

Considering how many games can be quite easily beaten over the course of half a day, a week is pretty good.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:02 am UTC

The only thing I wish this game had (at least from what I've played so far) is a quick save and quick load option. It's not a huge deal to go in to the menu and click save but it breaks up the gameplay a bit too much.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:10 am UTC

halbarad wrote:The only thing I wish this game had (at least from what I've played so far) is a quick save and quick load option. It's not a huge deal to go in to the menu and click save but it breaks up the gameplay a bit too much.

It does have that function. Keys are F5 and F8 for save and load.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:17 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
halbarad wrote:The only thing I wish this game had (at least from what I've played so far) is a quick save and quick load option. It's not a huge deal to go in to the menu and click save but it breaks up the gameplay a bit too much.

It does have that function. Keys are F5 and F8 for save and load.

I must have skimmed over that when looking through the controls section in options. Thanks

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:44 am UTC

visiting HengSha (sp?) for the first time.

Spoiler:
Windmill's place. Forever alone drawings and " ಠ_ಠ " on the walls. Laughed so hard.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:12 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Is it worth the fifty dollars?

I was kinda disappointed after seeing people saying they beat it over the course of a week...
Still around 20 hours of play for one playthrough. And there's always playing through again and making some different choices.

I think it was well worth it to support a good game.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Is it worth the fifty dollars?

Still around 20 hours of play for one playthrough. And there's always playing through again and making some different choices.

I think it was well worth it to support a good game.

Just beat it in 21 hours. I may play it again at some point, but I am slightly disappointed in the length.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:18 am UTC

I don't think I could have finished it in less than 20 hours. maybe running and gunning and ignoring all exploration and side-missions, maybe.

Are you sure you haven't mistaken the steam time tracker for actual time, because I believe it's been established that it runs fast for some people.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:07 am UTC

It took 22 hours for me according to steam. But then I missed one side-mission and was too high and mighty to do another.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:54 am UTC

Which mission was that? If it was Bao's, you can take a high mighty approach and it's just like buying a praxis kit with experience (ask him about the reward before you pay).

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't think I could have finished it in less than 20 hours. maybe running and gunning and ignoring all exploration and side-missions, maybe.

Are you sure you haven't mistaken the steam time tracker for actual time, because I believe it's been established that it runs fast for some people.

If the steam timer runs fast, that means actual time would have been even LESS.

I could have easily beaten it in under 20 hours. When I beat it in 21, that included over an hour trying to do the 3rd boss, a bunch of time wandering around Detroit doing every side mission, and numerous restarts when I wanted to do a level without being seen at all. I intentionally didn't do one side mission (well, the second part of one side mission) and apparently there was one other that I didn't know about, but I'd say I did most of the game in 21 hours.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

The steam gameplay time is usually many hours behind what I usually put into a game, as it doesn't update when the game crashes, or you shut down your computer too fast, or your internet connection browns out, or the phase of the moon isn't what it expected.

Though some people alt-tab out of games for hours, which would account for inflated numbers.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

is the plasma rifle any good?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

I didn't find it to be that usefull.

I only used it when I was running low on ammo on later levels.

I see it as a pick up, use ammo and then drop weapon.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:I didn't find it to be that usefull.

I only used it when I was running low on ammo on later levels.

I see it as a pick up, use ammo and then drop weapon.

I'll leave it. I'm already lugging around combatrifle, pistol, laser thingy and a grenade launcher and a sniper rifle :mrgreen:

Haven't even used teh laser yet.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Apart from the last level, I only used the pistol if I had/wanted to kill. Most the time I avoided conflict.

The last level my game bugged (I think) My hud disappeared, which made things slightly harder. So I resorted to the heavy rifle and laser to killing everything.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

I went complete pacifist the last level, seeing as how
Spoiler:
all the zombies were just innocent victims of Darrow. Was fairly easy with non-lethal takedown, gas grenades and jumping up on tall stuff.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I went complete pacifist the last level, seeing as how
Spoiler:
all the zombies were just innocent victims of Darrow. Was fairly easy with non-lethal takedown, gas grenades and jumping up on tall stuff.

That was my plan, but getting annoyed by lack of hud just ended in me mowing everything down.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Plasma rifle is good for
Spoiler:
taking down huge waves of zombies
in the last level. Its also good against turrets and the last boss. Each shot does quite a bit of damage so you expose yourself less to things when shooting them with it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:

This was the one area where the PEPS shone. Before this, it's far too loud to be stealthy, it's hit-and-miss whether it actually gives you the area effect and it outright doesn't do anything on armoured enemies. It was of no use to me but I liked the idea of it so much I lugged it around from the level in the Hengsha pangu all the way to the end. And my god is it useful on the crazies. One well-placed shot can take down five or six at a time.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Was it just me having the right weapon or was boss number 3 stupidly easy? I only had to reload once >_< the first two took at least 10.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Spoiler:

This was the one area where the PEPS shone. Before this, it's far too loud to be stealthy, it's hit-and-miss whether it actually gives you the area effect and it outright doesn't do anything on armoured enemies. It was of no use to me but I liked the idea of it so much I lugged it around from the level in the Hengsha pangu all the way to the end. And my god is it useful on the crazies. One well-placed shot can take down five or six at a time.

Never found that weapon. But I really didn't have any problem with that area. I just high-jumped onto areas they couldn't reach and watched them flail at the air. I didn't have any non-lethal weapon. I just took alternate paths, threw 1-2 gas grenades and did non-lethal takedowns.

el_loco_avs wrote:Was it just me having the right weapon or was boss number 3 stupidly easy? I only had to reload once >_< the first two took at least 10.

Took me around 30 attempts to kill the third boss. But yeah, it really depends on your earlier game decisions, as well as what weapons you have. I ended up lugging a turret through half the map in order to be able to kill him.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:23 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Was it just me having the right weapon or was boss number 3 stupidly easy? I only had to reload once >_< the first two took at least 10.
Yes, weapons made a lot of difference, particularly if you saved up, say, the grenade launcher, since he'll die before you even have to reload the weapon (let alone the game).

Though I only loaded 2-3 times on the other bosses...

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Yes, weapons made a lot of difference, particularly if you saved up, say, the grenade launcher, since he'll die before you even have to reload the weapon (let alone the game).

Though I only loaded 2-3 times on the other bosses...

I was comepletely unprepared for the first two. Couldn't really hide and had barely and grenades.

Just finished the game...
Spoiler:
they never really resolved the Megan Reed thing?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

psion

Postby psion » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:38 am UTC

There's an extra scene after the credits.
I carried the Plasma Rifle around with me but I never found it useful. It's just like the Plasma Rifle in Deus Ex... Too little ammo for too little damage.

SenseiJinx

Postby SenseiJinx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

I don't understand how people are beating this game in around 20 hours...I'm at 32 hours, and still haven't beaten the game. I'm guessing I have around 10 more hours or so (although I guess it could be less). Are you guys skipping most of the side quests? I don't feel that I'm that slow...I've done most of the sidequests and do a lot of exploring, but I don't feel like I'm crawling through the game either.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

It could be that steam is borked as usual. I dunno.

Though I did end up missing at least one side quest in my first playthrough.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

psion wrote:Too little ammo for too little damage.

There's a LOT of ammo lying around in the last area. My second playthrough I finished with like 200 shots leftover or something.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

One thing. Windmill = dutch accent fail.

But that's almost always the case if they have someone fake it.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Yeah, I had the same thing. Being Dutch myself and all :P

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

I am terrible at discerning Dutch accents and thus had no problem with it. But tell me this: Is Pritchard meant to be English? Because, wow, that's terrible if he is. Almost as bad as that guy on Star Trek Enterprise who was meant to be English.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Is Pritchard meant to be English?

No. He's from New Hampshire.

Also, he would be 20 this year. That's crazy.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 am UTC

Kag wrote:
Is Pritchard meant to be English?

No. He's from New Hampshire.

Also, he would be 20 this year. That's crazy.

Jensen (assuming the '93 was his real birth year) would be 18!

Return to “Gaming”