Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Menacing Spike

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I've got an SSD and 16 gigs of ram on a six-core computer -- I'm pretty sure the slow load times aren't because of my rig.

You make my engineer side rage intensely.

Of course your rig does affect the load time, you... double colored person.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Uh. . . what?

sunami

Postby sunami » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 am UTC

His computer affects load times like his eyes affect his vision. I understand his meaning though.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

I bought this yesterday (I wanted to wait for some reviews to come through) and it's probably the most engrossed with a game I've been since Mass Effect 2. I played six hours yesterday according to Steam, and I haven't done that in ages.

As far as system specs, it seems to run really well with some minor stutter on occasion on my Core2Duo/GTX 460 system.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:As far as system specs, it seems to run really well with some minor stutter on occasion on my Core2Duo/GTX 460 system.

I've been getting stuttering on my Core2Quad/GeForce9600. I fixed it by twerking the settings a little (turned off V-sync and lowerd the AA).

My opinion of it so far is that it's not as good as the original, but it is closer to the original then any other game I have ever played. So that's a pretty big stamp of approval.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I hate that people are already playing this game, but I can't.

6 hours until the game is unlocked. The game is sitting there on my hard drive, ready to go. But some bullshit piece of copywrong stops me from playing it until Eidos deem me and my countrymen worthy of playing their game.

*grumble grumble grumble*
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Goodbye. -ST

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I hate that people are already playing this game, but I can't.

6 hours until the game is unlocked. The game is sitting there on my hard drive, ready to go. But some bullshit piece of copywrong stops me from playing it until Eidos deem me and my countrymen worthy of playing their game.

*grumble grumble grumble*

I know!

I keep checking it to see if it say play.
Alas, every time I check, it still says pre load.

Sad times.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

You've got about an hour now. I've got to wait until my copy arrives in the post, which may not even be tomorrow since I'm too cheap to pay for decent delivery. On the bright side, I got the augmented edition for £24. So there's that.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

Supposedly there was a patch today that improved load times by 50% "on some machines". Still seem like crap to me...

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

My load times have been around 4-5 seconds recently, though that may be because of the areas -- which don't seem smaller (larger, actually), but never know.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

My loading times were 3-4 minutes, after the patch I think I'm down to about 45 seconds, so I'd have to say on my system the times have improved.

Hit the first boss battle last night. I will have to say - I'm finding this rather ridiculous on Hard difficulty.

Spoiler:
After emptying my entire ammo reserve into Barrett's face repeatedly I wasn't able to kill him. Likewise, takedowns are completely ineffective, even if you've used flashbangs to blind him and sneak up from behind. He's also immune to stun guns. I had to resort to viewing a Youtube video for tips, leaving me throwing explosive barrels at him. So let me get this straight, three explosive barrels is the same damage as three clips of combat rifle in the head? Duly noted.

What REALLY grinds my gears about it is that you can't skip the boss battle, and you can't use stealth tactics. I haven't even killed anyone in the missions so far, but there's only one entrance to the room and you have no other options in the fight. So much for being a pacifist.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

savanik wrote:What REALLY grinds my gears about it is that you can't skip the boss battle, and you can't use stealth tactics. I haven't even killed anyone in the missions so far, but there's only one entrance to the room and you have no other options in the fight. So much for being a pacifist.
I started to play the game as a stealth game and it started to feel like Metal Gear Solid, which I hate. I then proceeded to just play the game as shooter and it was much more satisfying, unfortunately it also yields lower points for augmentations.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

I was going to ask you guys if there was a good amount of variety to the 'style' you could play the game, but it sounds like there are some story points that must be accomplished a certain way, which is disappointing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

I walked by someone in the game that I realized was whistling part of the first Deus Ex theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZU6XyFxCA0 :)

Also hilarious: building myself a box fort out of cardboard boxes to hack a door without friendlies becoming suspicious. :)

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
savanik wrote:What REALLY grinds my gears about it is that you can't skip the boss battle, and you can't use stealth tactics. I haven't even killed anyone in the missions so far, but there's only one entrance to the room and you have no other options in the fight. So much for being a pacifist.
I started to play the game as a stealth game and it started to feel like Metal Gear Solid, which I hate. I then proceeded to just play the game as shooter and it was much more satisfying, unfortunately it also yields lower points for augmentations.
You gain bonus XP for not being detected at the end of areas I believe (at least, I think that's what the 500 bonus is). Or it may just be not bringing them to full-alert, rather than not being detected at all.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I was going to ask you guys if there was a good amount of variety to the 'style' you could play the game, but it sounds like there are some story points that must be accomplished a certain way, which is disappointing.
There is a lot of variety for most of the game. It's just the boss fights that don't, and they are pretty terrible in general.

Xeio wrote:You gain bonus XP for not being detected at the end of areas I believe (at least, I think that's what the 500 bonus is). Or it may just be not bringing them to full-alert, rather than not being detected at all.
Yeah, that pisses me off because I don't want to play a MGS clone. I think the game works a lot better as straightforward shooter with an cool upgrading system, but to each his own.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

The game is fun, but has some annoying "features". Like auto-reload if you run out of ammo in your clip. Which would be great, if reloading didn't prevent you from running. Which is the sort of thing you might want to do WHEN YOU'RE OUT OF AMMO.

The cover system is also occasionally quite glitchy. Seems very hardcoded where you can cover. I've encountered several places I wanted to cover, but it just refused to attach to the wall. Not to mention being flanked when in cover. Want to aim your gun? Game is like "Lol no. Can't use ironsights if you're not facing in the right direction." Reminds me of Alpha Protocol.

(This is all frustration inspired by the first boss fight.)

Dark567 wrote:
Xeio wrote:You gain bonus XP for not being detected at the end of areas I believe (at least, I think that's what the 500 bonus is). Or it may just be not bringing them to full-alert, rather than not being detected at all.
Yeah, that pisses me off because I don't want to play a MGS clone. I think the game works a lot better as straightforward shooter with an cool upgrading system, but to each his own.

If you don't play stealthily, you don't have to invest points in stealth augmentations, so it evens out.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:If you don't play stealthily, you don't have to invest points in stealth augmentations, so it evens out.

I feel like the majority of aug points have to go to hacking and that gets hurt by not playing stealthily. Actually that's another thing that bothers me, the hacking mini game is pretty good, but it requires so many points compared to all of the other much cooler augs.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:If you don't play stealthily, you don't have to invest points in stealth augmentations, so it evens out.

I feel like the majority of aug points have to go to hacking and that gets hurt by not playing stealthily. Actually that's another thing that bothers me, the hacking mini game is pretty good, but it requires so many points compared to all of the other much cooler augs.

You don't have to hack every computer you find either. If you're perceptive, you should be able to locate the password to a significant portion of the doors/computers around.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

I'm going to do the stealth-heavy character for my Hard runthrough, just for the achievements (and because it'll be fun). My current character is a bit dissatisfying -- I've got all but the "take control of cameras and robots" and "find out what those nodes have" augmentations, and I'm finding that I really wish I had just picked up the awesome upgrades instead. I've got full inventory upgrades and full dermal armor, though, so it's kind of fun getting to use so many weapons (currently have SMG, combat rifle, heavy machine gun, revolver, and just sold my rocket launcher so I could buy PRAXIS kits.

But, yeah, will be playing a well-rounded character at some point. Maybe on a separate Hard playthrough that I'll do when I want to punch my computer because of my stealth playthrough.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Just hit the boss on Hard, and so far. No luck.

Been a ghost for much of the play through so I don't have any of the armour augs.

Maybe tomorrow will proof to be more fruitfull.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

Hack turrets.
Pick up turret using aug strength.
Infinite profit.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Apparently you can buy Jensen's trenchcoat.

http://us.deusex-store.com/product/EGX- ... Trenchcoat

I want.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:57 am UTC

Yeah, it's only missing the kickass designs on the shoulders and the holes for Typhoon and armblades. You know, the things that make it different from a regular trenchcoat.

Also, the fabric looks way off.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Enokh wrote:Also, the fabric looks way off.
Well, one is texture in video game and the other has to be made out of actual fabric. I can give them some leeway on that. It would be nice if it had the shoulders though.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Apparently you can buy Jensen's trenchcoat.

Non-obvious: It's not supposed to be a replica.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 am UTC

You know, once you throw an EMP grenade and then shoot 4 grenades from the grenade launcher in quick sucession (hey, it's got 6 before you have to reload), one of those bosses isn't too bad at all. :roll:

Also, I was too chicken to choose option 4. What, moar playthroughs? Don't mind if I do...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 am UTC

I EMP'd him and shot him in the face half a dozen times with a shotgun. This made him mad. So I threw grenades and gas bottles at him until he died.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 am UTC

savanik wrote:My loading times were 3-4 minutes, after the patch I think I'm down to about 45 seconds, so I'd have to say on my system the times have improved.

Hit the first boss battle last night. I will have to say - I'm finding this rather ridiculous on Hard difficulty.

Spoiler:
After emptying my entire ammo reserve into Barrett's face repeatedly I wasn't able to kill him. Likewise, takedowns are completely ineffective, even if you've used flashbangs to blind him and sneak up from behind. He's also immune to stun guns. I had to resort to viewing a Youtube video for tips, leaving me throwing explosive barrels at him. So let me get this straight, three explosive barrels is the same damage as three clips of combat rifle in the head? Duly noted.

What REALLY grinds my gears about it is that you can't skip the boss battle, and you can't use stealth tactics. I haven't even killed anyone in the missions so far, but there's only one entrance to the room and you have no other options in the fight. So much for being a pacifist.

I bought cloaking right before the battle (didn't know it was coming, just wanted to be invisible) and all I had to do was
Spoiler:
get behind cover, throw a grenade, cloak just long enough to switch to a different cover, throw another grenade. Rinse and repeat until Boss dies

didn't seem particularly hard.

Though, I was disappointed that
Spoiler:
Apparently he didn't have a discoverable kill-phrase like the bosses from DX1 or any kind of dialogue options whatsoever.

So far, not sure which is more fun, revolver with explosive bullets, or the 'curving bullets' thing for the combat rifle.
I'm not really going through with a combat-oriented play style, but both have gotten me out of some tight spots, and even the stealthiest of players should appreciate that curving bullets+x-ray vision = dead bad guys who never saw you because you were around the corner the whole time.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

Found an easy way to kill him

Spoiler:
There are some long yellow cylinders that you can throw at him that release a green gas, he won't see you in the gas. Then throw a red explosive one at him, then another gas, then another red. Rinse and repeat. Kill him without firing a single round.

I started the fight with an concussion grenade just so I could get to the barrels without being fired.

Worked a treat

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

I'm really liking this game. I'm not sure what it is, but it actually feels like Deus Ex; it's far more immersive than Invisible War, the storyline is cool, and there seem to be an abundance of options to get through each level.

I've been going as stealthy as possible, although there have been several points where I've been sneaking around and I hear "Who's there?!? Stop!" followed by a hail of bullets from some direction that had seemed empty. Followed shortly by me going "ah fuck it" and shooting the whole place up.

Spoiler:
The Barrett fight wasn't so hard. 1 gas cannister, 2 explosive cannisters, 1 fire hydrant and a clip of combat rifle bullets to the face and he went down easy enough. From some of the comments on here, I was expecting him to be a lot tougher than that (although he's still bloody tough). Took me a few tries, but fortunately, the game seemed to autosave after every explosive barrel I threw in the guy's face. The cloak was useful for moving between cover; I had it fully upgraded by that point.

I'm now in that Chinese city, and I've been busy finding ways to sneak around without those Belltower goons ever catching a glimpse of me. For a professional rent-a-thug company, they sure leave a lot of openings. Oh, and I just paid 5000 credits to get Tong's people off the back of some chick I'd only just met, instead of forcing her to pay up. I think the character I'm playing should have the word "sucker" engraved on his forehead instead of that funny hexagon thing.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

Stuck on the 2nd boss atm :(

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Stuck on the 2nd boss atm :(
Spoiler:
When she's attacking you, just sprint in a random direction once she starts at you and she'll miss. Then I suggest placing a remote explosive near the power station as she nears it (I think it takes about 3). Though you'll have to be a bit careful since I think the electricity will hit the entire room (so if you already took damage, back off for a bit).

I'd avoid weapons totally if possible (she'll start returning fire), though if you've dumped your explosive weapons this will be trickier. :P

That's assuming I remembered the correct boss...

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, the damage hits for over 100 health. So I can only survive if I have pain killers, which I have 2 of. I only survive with 6 hp though.

I've taken the stealthy approach, so I have little in the way of the offensive augments. Or defensive. No immunity to electricity, which would make the fight a walk over :(

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Screw Jaron Namir.

That is all.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

Goddammit! Somehow in all of my save games all the cops want to kill me. It doesn't make sense, I didn't do anything to warrant it. Even the oldest save when they didn't want to kill me, somehow they now want to kill me. The game has now become unplayable. Fuck.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Vapour wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, the damage hits for over 100 health. So I can only survive if I have pain killers, which I have 2 of. I only survive with 6 hp though.

I've taken the stealthy approach, so I have little in the way of the offensive augments. Or defensive. No immunity to electricity, which would make the fight a walk over :(

Spoiler:
You should have high jump. Jumping constantly will let you survive the electricity, only taking about 80 damage. You can also reduce her typhoon damage to around 40 if you couldn't sprint away quickly enough.

The only other way you're going to have to damage her is weapons. Mines are good, but going back to pick up a heavy rifle will do just fine, even with no combat augs.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:03 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yea, must have been the jumping... I don't remember dieing from the electrified floor, just her shootyness. And I didn't have any health/armor/combat augments either.

I wasn't fond of weapons because she returned fire :P

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:02 am UTC

Spoiler:
My first run was stealth pacifism so I left myself without much of a choice for equipment. She almost never shot back at me, though. I mostly took shots while she was cloaked or busy with something. Also, gas grenades.

Return to “Gaming”