The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I don't know what it is about Western fantasy that makes people turn into perverts.
You added some erroneous information. They'll mod boobs and skimpy outfits into anything, it doesn't need to be fantasy.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:I don't know what it is about Western fantasy that makes people turn into perverts.
You added some erroneous information. They'll mod boobs and skimpy outfits into anything, it doesn't need to be fantasy.

It doesn't even need to be a video game.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Hmn.. for some reason I remember seeing a relatively decent animation mod......... I may also be thinking of Fallout 3.

Thanks, Brain.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

I don't really see the point in those mods, when we've already got Boethiah's Pillow Book, Huntsman's Vests and The Lusty Argonian Maid :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Yeah, there's most likely people who've never actually read those books. Or used the mods that dump in more Morrowind and Daggerfall/Arena books into the game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Jokes

A Dark Elf woman was being shown around Daggerfall. When she was shown the magnificent Castle Daggerfall, she smiled sweetly to her guild and whispered, "It reminds me of sex."
"That's odd," said her guild. "Why does our Castle Daggerfall remind you of sex?"
The Dark Elf sighed, "Everything does."

You really, really don't need mods.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I don't really see the point in those mods, when we've already got Boethiah's Pillow Book, Huntsman's Vests and The Lusty Argonian Maid :P

You forgot The Real Barenziah Part 2.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:I don't really see the point in those mods, when we've already got Boethiah's Pillow Book, Huntsman's Vests and The Lusty Argonian Maid :P

You forgot The Real Barenziah Part 2.

Huh?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

What Amnesiasoft is saying is "You forgot the one book I have memories of when you random-selected a couple of titles to illustrate the point of how sexualized the text was in that game because goddamn were there a lot of dirty books"

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What Amnesiasoft is saying is "You forgot the one book I have memories of when you random-selected a couple of titles to illustrate the point of how sexualized the text was in that game because goddamn were there a lot of dirty books"

The Huntsman's Vest is an item of clothing.

I'll stop now :P

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:

Granted, though I said fantasy because Fallout 3 or New Vegas don't have nearly the quantity of adult mods as Oblivion does, even considering the difference in age.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Huh?

There was an earlier version. From UESPWiki, spoilered for possible triggers (unwanted intimacy):

Spoiler:
Barenziah and Straw settled into Rifton for the winter, taking a cheap room in the slummier section of town. Barenziah wanted to join the Thieves Guild, knowing there would be trouble if she were caught freelancing. One day in a barroom she caught the eye of a known member of the Guild, a bold young Khajiit named Therris. She offered to bed him if he would sponsor her membership. He looked her over, grinning, and agreed, but said she'd still have to pass an initiation.

"What sort of initiation?"

"Ah," Therris said. "Pay up first, sweetness."

[This passage has been censored by order of the Temple.]

Straw was going to kill her, and maybe Therris too. What in Tamriel had possessed her to do such a thing? She cast an apprehensive look around the room, but the other patrons had lost interest and gone back to their own business. She did not recognize any of them; this wasn't the inn where she and Straw were staying. With luck it'd be a while, or never, before Straw found out.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

guale

Postby guale » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 am UTC

*Cough* Real Barenziah Vol IV *cough*

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

Well, Skyrim's a 15 in England, so I doubt there'll be much Argonian fun-time :P

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Well, Skyrim's a 15 in England, so I doubt there'll be much Argonian fun-time :P

Fahrenheit was a 15, so don't assume that.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

gingermrkettle wrote:Fahrenheit was a 15, so don't assume that.

The article says it was only violence that gave the rating, I was more going on that...

Edit: And just to be clear, Skyrim isn't promoting bestiality. Got that? Gooood.

gavin

Postby gavin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
gingermrkettle wrote:Fahrenheit was a 15, so don't assume that.

The article says it was only violence that gave the rating, I was more going on that...

Edit: And just to be clear, Skyrim isn't promoting bestiality. Got that? Gooood.
It's just promoting sentient bestiality? I guess that's... better.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

No, promoting would be saying that one way is the best way, like if you're a Nord and marry an Argonian, you get a palace but if you marry a Redguard you get jack.

Having a Nord marrying an Argonian being an option is not a promotion, just a thing.

See, you could argue that the systems in place in Fallout 3/New Vegas promote drug and alcohol use, as using them gives you neat benefits and the "penalty" of addiction is overcome by a shot any medical professional can give you. A Dunmer marrying a Khajiit does not promote such unions unless there's a benefit that is unattainable by other parings, simply allows them. Permission =/= Promotion

gavin

Postby gavin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:No, promoting would be saying that one way is the best way, like if you're a Nord and marry an Argonian, you get a palace but if you marry a Redguard you get jack.

Having a Nord marrying an Argonian being an option is not a promotion, just a thing.
The typical idea of promotion is advocation.

That being said, I was joking. Who cares what a game advocates? Besides thompson of course.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Man, I'm now pretty certain my sarcasm detector is busted.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Man, I'm now pretty certain my sarcasm detector is busted.

I'm sure.

After replaying Oblivion for a little while, which is a bit like Tylenol for a morphine addict at this point, I'm really looking forward to this new magic system I keep hearing about. Changing between spells for a mage character was a pain in the ass, even with hot keys. I got out of the sewers with more than eight spells I would probably be using regularly.

I never could seem to get the hang of mage characters in any game.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

gavin

Postby gavin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Man, I'm now pretty certain my sarcasm detector is busted.
Poe's Law.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Parodies of fundamentalist behavior are nearly impossible to discern without the parody instigator giving off a hint, like a wink or "jk". I'm not that nice to you though, I sometimes enjoy being in poe's law. :p

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

I'm replaying Oblivion and forgot how much it sucked being a Mage in the beginning. Soon I'll be AoE paralyzing things, so I'll be fine :P Just. . have to slog through the Mage Guild intro quest. again.

Conjuration is effing amazing, having my giant Draemora friend (dude with the shield and mace) really helps. I want the triceratops, though.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Couple of notes about Skyrim after I played it today:

-Melee Combat feels great. Really, really great, mostly down to those finishers - every time I killed someone, I leaned forward in my seat from just how cool it was :D
-The see through water glitch works the same way as in Oblivion and Morrowind. Doesn't break the game at all, but it made me laugh.
-Dragons are either really rare or were removed from the demo. I watched about 6 hours of gameplay in total, and they never showed up.
-Flame Atronachs look similar to the ones in Oblivion, apart from cooler - the flames have been replaced with magma.
-Spriggans sort of 'trail' leaves, and when on low health crouch down to regenerate. The guy I was watching managed to counter this pretty effectively with a double-flamethrower, though :P
-The game can be absolutely hilarious. There were a couple of times I laughed out loud, like when this one guy helped some people out with fighting a giant, before realising that the guys he was helping out were high-level bandits (which I'd already worked out). He was soon killed.
-There are these Ordinator-style guys called Justicars, who were patrolling the roads kitted out in Elven Armour or something. When someone attacked them, he was killed in a flash of magic.
-People really do look good - not hyper realistic, but very far from the Uncanny Valley.
-When you 'kill' immortal NPCs, they cower and then stand up non-aggressively.
-Lockpicking system is pretty much unchanged from Fallout 3. Not sure about whether the jumps in level will still be there, though - I saw someone picking an 'adept' lock, when you started at about level 15 in all skills.
-Mammoths shake the ground when they run past.
-The puzzles are quite interesting. I only saw one, which involved turning a pyramid with various symbols on to open a gate.
-There are a couple of other glitches, mostly graphical - for example, blurring when stuff moves (Only happened to one person), lagging, crashing, (although this was on the XBox), and ghosting (only saw that once, though).
-11/11/11 really can't come soon enough :D

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Only 3 more weeks?! Crazy!

Apparently they did away with the 7 (8?) attributes (strength, agility, intelligence, etc), instead there's only health, magicka, and stamina that you change directly when you level up. While I'm a bit disappointed that I can't focus on things like leveling up speed or strength, I'm pretty psyched to put every last available point into stamina - clearly the most awesome of the 3.

But seriously, I don't remember caring about stamina (fatigue) at all in Oblivion. If my stamina was low, it just meant that it took more hits to kill enemies, which meant I leveled up my skills faster. I'm kind of hoping Skyrim will have more incentives to keep your stamina up. Otherwise my Defatigable Orc Mage* will struggle.

*Is there a worse combo? Can't think of one. :)
-Adam

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

I didn't play Oblivion enough to have an issue, but stamina was needed in Morrowind. If you let it get too low you could get knocked down, or chain knocked down. Very annoying, and occasionally deadly
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Increasing Stamina will also increase holding capacity and *possibly* speed.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I don't think stamina is linked to carrying capacity. It certainly wasn't in Morrowind. Carrying capacity was purely strength * 5. Also, any feather effect was subtracted from the weight of stuff you were carrying indirectly raising your carrying capacity. There is also a movement speed deduction related to "percent encumbered" tied to how much you are carrying. Stamina's effects are linked to most actions, like attacking or picking locks, and are based on the percentage of your stamina to max stamina. Having more max stamina just means you take less penalty from stamina-deducting actions. Keeping your stamina high reduces or eliminates all stamina related deductions from your actions.

...at least for Morrowind.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

Im not talking about Morrowind, I'm talking about Skyrim - DCDeacon quote:
@DCDeacon Hey Pete the community has got another Q, straight from the BethForums , How much weight can we carry? and how can we increase it

@GnrlKhalid It's based on your Stamina. When you level up increase stamina to carry more, more power attacks, sprinting, etc

And remember, all attributes have been removed and folded into those 3 categories. I mean, otherwise everyone would pick Health/Magicka.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 am UTC

Even on my mages I would go strength and speed heavy because I loved carrying things and moving. (And there were generally ways to have health / magicka not be the limiting factor in murdering people.) Both of them as one thing in Skyrim sounds like it will be awesome.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Just got Infernal City. Should pass the time - only 3 weeks!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Preorder skyrim from newegg by tomorrow (oct 23) for only $48 by using the promo code 'EMCYTZT852'.

I have high hopes that the skill/attribute/perk system will work much better than in oblivion. "Dumbing down" the attributes is preferable to the broken major/minor skill system in Oblivion - trying to optimize your attributes was a headache, yet pretty necessary if you didn't want to lower the difficulty bar.
-Adam

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

So, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but does anyone know if there are improvements to the object manipulation mechanics? In the sense of, "I have a stack of books that I want to put on a bookshelf in my house." Morrowind's was okay (you could stack items, or put them inside each other, as you wished), but Oblivion's was just flat-out terrible, to the point that I pretty much stopped collecting things. (It was nice that you could rotate objects, but you had to do that by swinging them around in the air until they behaved the way you wanted.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

One of the uselessly fun things about Morrowind was hovering in mid-air and dropping crap to make sculptures.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:45 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:So, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but does anyone know if there are improvements to the object manipulation mechanics? In the sense of, "I have a stack of books that I want to put on a bookshelf in my house." Morrowind's was okay (you could stack items, or put them inside each other, as you wished), but Oblivion's was just flat-out terrible, to the point that I pretty much stopped collecting things. (It was nice that you could rotate objects, but you had to do that by swinging them around in the air until they behaved the way you wanted.)

Not to mention that all objects in Oblivion had a chance of just randomly falling through the floor. Or apples suddenly exploding out of the bowl they'd been sitting in for no apparent reason. Or a rock-hard piece of paper going careening around the room because you barely brushed the edge of it as you walked past.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:28 am UTC

And that was one of the uselessly fun things about Oblivion -- jumping on a long table set for dinner and kicking everything off. While the people were eating.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:So, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but does anyone know if there are improvements to the object manipulation mechanics?
No news is probably bad news at this point. :(

Picking up stuff in Oblivion was arg-inducing. It's like it was attached to you with a spring, and if you stretched the spring by turning quickly or running you'd lose the object. I have hope that in Skyrim you'll pick up stuff with your actual hands. Or, your hands will be full and you can float objects in front of you through sheer will of mind... It's like telekinisis, except you don't need a spare hand, or magicka, or money to buy the spell!
-Adam

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

... Gameplay?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

poxic wrote:... Gameplay?
Didn't you hear? Skyrim is using the RealLife engine. :P

Return to “Gaming”