The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Spambot5546

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

No, Batman is clearly a two-hander.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Yeah, I seriously thought the way Bale did Batman was better than the way Ledger did Joker. I really didn't like Joker in The Dark Knight. He just sounds so... not Joker. (Hamill for life!)

That's the thing, though. The Dark Knight was trying to be super-serious, and Hamill's goofy Joker wouldn't really fit well, while Ledger's fit perfectly (still utterly crazy, just less bombastic.)

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

What Joker is like depends on the writer. Ledger's performance was excellent. Bale did as well except for his slightly goofy Batman voice.

In other news, video games.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Haven't you heard? In an effort to create a more open-ended Elder Scrolls, all of these things are in Skyrim.

my mind = blown
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

King Author

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Postby King Author » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 am UTC

@Everyone: Apologies for the rant. I really, really, really hate pay-DLC the way it's done and I really, really, really hate DRM. But, I there's a time and a place, and it wasn't here. For multiple reasons, none of which I'll list (the mods watch me very closely *waves*). Apologies especially to the topic creator. I always hate when people muck up my topics with tangential rants, so I shouldn't do it to others.

I do have an honest question, though. Why, particularly Beardhammer but also others, do you feel the need to defend the companies whose practices I personally dislike? I sorta don't understand that. I myself just say what I like and what I dislike and assume everyone else knows that opinions are opinions and that I'm not trying to convince them personally of anything. I can only assume that's what everyone else does, so I don't really understand why you'd want to so vehemently defend a company which you presumably aren't employed by.

Beardhammer wrote:BioWare (the most recent example of Project Ten Dollar that comes to mind) as a BioWare Social account. You authorize and activate your DLC through that account, and then can download it through the account or even in-game. If you happen to lose your data, your DLC keys are still tied to that account - all you've gotta do is log in and download it again. BioWare is associated with EA, who is the biggest example of day-one DLC. I don't know how Bethesda handles things since I couldn't be fucked to buy the Fallout 3 DLC, but I believe it's on sale through Steam - if you bought it through Steam, Steam would retain records of that purchase. I don't know how things are handled on consoles (lol, consoles.)

Wait, what? No, that can't be how it works. Because if that's how it works, I could just give out my account name and password, and then an infinite number of people could use it to freely download the stuff to their machine. Unless there's some other DRM at work.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 am UTC

They track that information - much like how your gmail account can be locked if an IP from another country accesses your account, so too can BioWare lock theirs. I'm not even sure 5 different IP addresses would be allowed to log on to the same account within a weeks time-frame... I know my BioWare forum login (which is the same one tied to all my DLC downloads on their website/in their games) was temporarily locked when I tried to log in from across the country the same day I logged in from home.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

King Author wrote:I do have an honest question, though. Why, particularly Beardhammer but also others, do you feel the need to defend the companies whose practices I personally dislike? I sorta don't understand that. I myself just say what I like and what I dislike and assume everyone else knows that opinions are opinions and that I'm not trying to convince them personally of anything. I can only assume that's what everyone else does, so I don't really understand why you'd want to so vehemently defend a company which you presumably aren't employed by.

Well... it's a forum. Arguing is sort of the point. Have you really never felt so strongly about something that you want to defend it?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Wait, what? No, that can't be how it works. Because if that's how it works, I could just give out my account name and password, and then an infinite number of people could use it to freely download the stuff to their machine. Unless there's some other DRM at work.
Like Ortus said - they monitor how often you log in, when you're logged in, and from where you log in. If they see you're logging in from Kansas and an hour later you log in from South Africa, and fifteen minutes later you log in from Paris.... they probably block your account and send you an email along the lines of "excuse me wtf r u doing?"

You may have to be logged in to use the DLC as well. Probably not to use equipment, but to use the new quests, regions and so on.

I mean, the mechanisms to tie internet content to a username and password and monitor it for multiple logins are... pretty well explored. Yes, there's workarounds, and there probably are small groups that share a single username/pass. But probably not more than three or four in a group. Certainly not hundreds.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

It's the Spruce Moose!
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Wait, what? No, that can't be how it works. Because if that's how it works, I could just give out my account name and password, and then an infinite number of people could use it to freely download the stuff to their machine. Unless there's some other DRM at work.

I think it does a check whenever you first log in to prevent duplicate accounts, but yeah you can probably totally do that. I don't think it requires you to be online all the time the way Assassin's Creed 2 did, but you probably have to log in to at least start accessing it.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Kag wrote:Ledger's performance was excellent. Bale did as well except for his slightly goofy Batman voice.
Honestly, I enjoy The Batman Voice, in part because it fits so well with the definitive Batman story of our age.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Can I duel-wield the Batman?

I call IMBA.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Kag wrote:

I think it does a check whenever you first log in to prevent duplicate accounts, but yeah you can probably totally do that. I don't think it requires you to be online all the time the way Assassin's Creed 2 did, but you probably have to log in to at least start accessing it.

For DA, if you aren't logged in, you can't access your DLC.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:23 am UTC

You only have to log in once, then you're good till you next load up the game (even if your connection drops).

Though I'm unsure what would happen if someone somewhere else tried to log into your account (while you were online).

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:36 am UTC

I don't mind potentially sacrificing my BioWare account for science.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Goldstein wrote:Haven't you heard? In an effort to create a more open-ended Elder Scrolls, all of these things are in Skyrim.

Can I duel-wield the Batman?

In dwarf fortress, you can dual-wield batmen. Corpses.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:

Can I duel-wield the Batman?

In dwarf fortress, you can dual-wield batmen. Corpses.

I've started playing NetHack (well, more being confused at), and I wanted to wear a robe.

So I clicked w-*button for robe*, and started using it as a weapon.

It was more confusing than the time I died falling down the stairs :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Hrmmm, Collectors edition.

But it's $150. :shock:

But I waaaants it.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Hrmmm, Collectors edition.

But it's $150. :shock:

But I waaaants it.

It's the equivalent of $210 over here (UK+Europe)

Stop complaining :P

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Ooh, do want. It's my birthday this month guys...

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Ooh, do want. It's my birthday this month guys...

Mine too! When's yours?

Mine's the 22nd. I'm going to be all older and stuff.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 am UTC

17th. I'll be 24.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

So I now have a fully paid pre-order of Skyrim, because Bethesda is the dom to my sub.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

$100 for an artbook that I'd thumb through once, a DVD I'll never watch and if I try, I'll likely stop in about 10 minutes, and a statue thing that.... doesn't look that great and I've got too much crap like that anyway.

Huh. I'm no longer in the market for collector editions like that. Odd feeling.

Yeah, I'll stick with just the game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

Yeeeah. Not going the collectors edition either. I'm all for collectors editions when they're, like 20 dollars more. This? Not so much.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

I just wish I could buy the art book separate from the CE. The other things look interesting, but it's really the only extra I want and it's not worth an extra $100 just for that.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 am UTC

Yea, I'm reasonably sure the dragon and book isn't worth $90 (you already get the map with the regular version pre-orders). Even though I do want them. Waaaant. Why couldn't it be like $40-50 extra? :(

Also, Skyrim is $60, not $50.

Wolf wrote:I just wish I could buy the art book separate from the CE. The other things look interesting, but it's really the only extra I want and it's not worth an extra $100 just for that.
Actually...

EDIT: Though that may be Australia only... :|

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

OK, I've gotten home from holiday and I've decided to preorder the CE.

I honestly couldn't care less how bad it is, I just would feel bad if the game that I've been obsessing over for well over two years was lesser than other peoples' :P

I'm having to spend literally all my money on this... goodbye Rayman Origins/ME3 on release day...

Edit: Screw that.

In the hour or so since posting this, I've been to GAME and asked for the CE preorder.

"You can't, sorry,"

"So... can you give me some idea of when I'll be able to preorder it?"

"No, I mean we're not going to stock it here. You can get it online, though."

Straw + Camel's Back

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

...whaa...? I mean, I can understand offering it via Pre-Order only, because it's only going to appeal to a very niche market, but.. to not carry it when there's customers saying "I have money and would like this thing"...?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

inorite?

And I'm not taking my chances with the postal service, so... normal edition it is. I want to get this on 11/11/11.

Ah well. At least I got a good laugh out of it:

ONLY 129.99!.png
ONLY 129.99!.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 5714 times

Yup. Only £129.99 for a plastic model, a DVD you'll be able to find on Youtube, an artbook which will contain HUNDREDS of spoilers and that you'll only flick through once, and a cloth map you get just for pre-ordering.

This is the third time I've gotten a normal copy of a TES game. And I just might do that forever :P

Edit: and why the hell did they change the name of the Skyrim Hat in TF2 to Dragonborn Helmet? Tamrielic Relic was an awesome name!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Hm.

I think the CE is priced highly as well... but I think I may get it regardless. It depends on how much I expect the art book to go for on eBay.
Last edited by Vaniver on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

I found these posted on another forum.
http://i.imgur.com/T83AK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VWeKb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ghwsw.png
I love them so much I want to make love to them. Argonians are gonna look cool as hell.

There was some speculation on said other forum that the Bosmer may be a mis-labelled Dunmer, and I notice the lack of an Altmer screenshot.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:I found these posted on another forum.
http://i.imgur.com/Ghwsw.png
I love them so much I want to make love to them. Argonians are gonna look cool as hell.

Clever girl...

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Clever girl...

I...can't...un...see...it...
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Apparently cataracts are a real problem in Skyrim. Must be the high altitudes.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 am UTC

Upsilon wrote:

Between the high altitudes and all the snow and ice, it's actually very plausible that cataracts are common in Skyrim. Along with snow blindness. Someone needs to come up with some kind of inverse night-eye spell...

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I hereby propose the Cornea Heart spell!

(Wrong eye part I know, but Corey Hart is the singer of "I wear my sunglasses at night")
Ibid: Most prolific author in academia

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
Upsilon wrote:

Between the high altitudes and all the snow and ice, it's actually very plausible that cataracts are common in Skyrim. Along with snow blindness. Someone needs to come up with some kind of inverse night-eye spell...

If Skyrim were real you'd think they'd invent snow goggles like the Inuits did. But it's a videogame so they'll just never mention it. And I am okay with that.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Return to “Gaming”