Non-kill-centric games. (I know...that's not a word)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

balderduck

Non-kill-centric games. (I know...that's not a word)

Postby balderduck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Hey guys...

Let's take sports games, racing games and adventure games out of the picture

Now strip some story parts and 90% of mainstream games is basically walk around and kill anything that moves.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy some of those games. Although I can't stand FPS games, I have occasionally played and enjoyed some action games like Drake's Fortune and Red Dead. Even RPGs mostly rely on killing monsters and people

If I take myself back 15-20 years, to the games I grew up with, adventuregames like Monkey Island and platformers like the lost vikings, the kind of turn that the gaming industry has taken towards violent games is huge. I won't go into analyzing how the weapon's industry and militarist goverments benefit from that turn, I'm just trying to see if there's an alternative to all this

So I was thinking...What are the games (full length - non-indie games) of today that don't have killing as their main theme...

Some titles I came up with:

Heavy Rain
Professor Layton
Grey Matter

Any more?
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Vapour

Re: Non-kill-centric games. (I know...that's not a word)

Postby Vapour » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Portal
Little Big Planet I think

It's a longshot, but Deus Ex no kill playthrough :D

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Uhhh, the main plot in heavy rain is about a serial killer...it's pretty much the theme. I'll grant you that you're not killing people left and right, but there are plenty of scenes where people die, and one (fairly ridiculous) scene where you gun down about 20 bodyguards.

But anyways, I don't think it's necessarily that the video game industry has gotten more violent, it's just that the popular genres have shifted. Shooters and rpgs 15 years ago were just as violent as they are now, even though you didn't have the level of graphical detail we have now. You were still killing just as many people/monsters/demons in doom and ultima 1 as most games nowadays.

FPS' and action games have become much more popular then they used to be however, and those are genres that generally lend themselves to violence somewhat naturally. It's hard to make a shooter that isn't heavy on shooting guys. Not impossible, just harder. Portal is one example, but they had a damn good development team, and loads of cash to spend on it.

Adventure games have definitely all but disappeared, but I don't feel like it's because the industry is somehow more violent, it's just one of those genres that never really evolved past it's prime in the early 90s. There are still some companies doing great adventure games, in newer ways perhaps; stuff like Amnesia: Dark Descent, or Machinarium (however it's spelled).
Platformers were less common for a bit, but are starting to come back I think. There's been some great stuff in the last few years, both big titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Mirror's Edge), and small indie games (Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, N+).

I don't think violence in games is a bad thing. Everyone needs an outlet for aggression, and killing demons/ninjas/your buddy is something you couldn't/wouldn't want to do in real life, so games offer that experience. I don't think it has anything to do with the weapons industry or the government (aside from the pretty shitty america's army game).

I don't know why you're selectively ignoring Racing, Sports, and Adventure games. Along with Platformers, Music, and Puzzle games, that's a pretty big chunk of the market. Really the only things left are the aforementioned Shooters and Action games. Not really sure what you're looking for.
Pretty much anything on the Wii is mostly non-violent, along with a ton of DS games.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

I don't really think this "turn" is anything new at all. I was playing Contra, Metroid, and Castlevania in 1987. Doom was out in 1993.

But to answer the question:

-Basically the entire puzzle game genre (I suppose Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo has fighting in it sort of)
-Phoenix Wright
-The music/rhythm game genre
-The party game genre

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

Endless Ocean and its sequel.
Sim City series(Unless you're going overboard with disasters)
Actually most sim anything games.
I was gonna say Seiklus but that one is indie.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Batman: Arkham Asylum.

It's true. Batman doesn't kill anyone. He just saves them and watches them get killed by something else moments later.

Alpha Protocol can be played with a no-kill win. The MGS games have no-kill wins (barring a few plot points).

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:Actually most sim anything games.
Until you design deadly rides of death in say Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Anyways, does anyone realize that Mario is a much bigger serial killer than most of the characters in the most violent, gruesome games you can think of today?

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

Dwarf Fortr— oh, wait.

Anyway, yeah, all sorts of puzzle games, as well as abstract competitive games (in chess, you are "captured" not "killed").

Lemmings - while things do sometimes die, the goal is to prevent that.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Oh I'm not saying there weren't violent games in the past
Or that it's wrong to have violent games. I've already mentioned some that are great.
My question is if there are games that are story driven (and therefore not racing, sports, music, etc.) whose main objective isn't to kill anything that moves

And heavy rain is violent, yes it is about a serial killer, but in its' course you're investigating and interacting far more than you're killing people

It strikes me as odd that there aren't more games like that. Just some adventure games and I hear L.A. Noire will include a lot of investigating...

psion

Postby psion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Death and killing is an extremely natural understanding of our existence, it can be reflected anywhere and onto anything. Just because Batman doesn't kill anyone, does that make it not kill-centric? They're trying to kill you, and you're defending yourself. What about Amnesia? The whole game has you running from creatures that are trying to kill you. It would seem to me that killing is the main theme of that game, despite no one ever actually dying.

What about Mario? It's a platformer with lots of killing, but killing is not the main theme of the game. I'm pretty sure no one dies in Pokemon either. Then there's the MGS series, Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell series, SWAT series, and etc. where you can go through the game without killing anyone. Are those kill-centric?

You're asking what games fall between very blurry lines. It's difficult to deliver.

balderduck wrote:And heavy rain is violent, yes it is about a serial killer, but in its' course you're investigating and interacting far more than you're killing people

Well, in just about every RPG the main goal isn't about killing. It's about a story and characters. It's about managing statistics and growing stronger. It's about reaping immediate rewards from work. That makes the lines even more blurry if non-kill-centric games are games where killing isn't the primary activity. For example, I could kill everyone I come across in Splinter Cell, but the primary activity is maintaining stealth and gathering intelligence, therefore non-kill-centric.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:It strikes me as odd that there aren't more games like that. Just some adventure games and I hear L.A. Noire will include a lot of investigating...
In order for a game to be a "game" and not just be a movie, you have to have interaction. Lots of interaction. The more interaction, the better.

One way a player can interact with the world is by moving their avatar around, or moving something else around, or even just designing things that later move around/react to things moving around them. Neat, but pretty much every game does this, from Mario bouncing everywhere to games like Dwarf Fortress where you guide things and hope to crap the bearded bastards do what you want.

If all your avatar can do is move around, however, there's not a lot you can do with the game beyond mazes, and we don't really need 10,000 maze-based games. So you have the avatar move, and then you have the avatar interact with the environment....

At this point, I know I'm spelling incredibly simple things out and it's probably insulting, but I'm trying to make a point here, so bear with me (on the next slide is the GNP of Madagascar from 1972-1993...)

So anyway, you have the avatar interact with the environment. If there are non-player entities moving on the map, you have the avatar interact with them. Maybe they talk, maybe they shove each other, whatever. The easiest interactions to supply are ones where you push a button and the other entity gets deleted from the game. You can dress these up with the button running through a sprite sequence or going through a series of movements on the model or whatever, and the entity can collapse to the floor and be replaced by an object that looks exactly like the entity and contains gear that more or less matches what the entity was wearing.... aka - you shoot the guy in the face and take his gun.

You can also have a game that's nothing but you and the world. Most games like this have you attempt to maneuver through a maze. This maze is sometimes complicated, sometimes simple, and sometimes a mix of the two. It usually has puzzles that consist of anything from bring object from this area to this area to solve this chess puzzle, and lots of other stuff. These are more like your adventure games and Myst-likes and so on.

You've also got your abstract games, often labeled as Casual games, where there is no avatar, and usually has direct player manipulation of the limited environment - See: Tetris, Bejeweled

Now, a thing about games is that the best games are usually based on simple mechanics (press this to move left and right. Press this to jump.) but have a ton of depth through hidden, non-adjustable mechanics. Things like Tetris's RNG for your next piece, or the complexities of lineage when breeding Pokemon (I mean, I haven't done it, just read a bit about it - shit's insane, yo) or something like Final Fantasy Tactics and it's birthdates granting bonuses and penalties to combat based on the birthdate of the opponents and so on - Strategic Depth, basically. Everyone can do the thing to play the game, things everyone can even understand and put into practice, but not everyone can do it well.

Things that are hard : making a game that is simple enough to learn, but has lots of strategic depth. It's hard to put that into place and have it be balanced. You don't want things in there that become no-brainer choices. You don't want "I Win" buttons.... unless you make the character go through hell to get there, I suppose. Like an RPG character that starts at level 1 and is complete shit all the way to level 98, but becomes a demigod at 99... okay, for dealing with that crap for 98 levels, maybe you do deserve an in-party cheatcode..but I digress.. Point is, that shit's hard.

Good puzzles.. ones that don't require Moon Logic or Rearranging Soup Cans are hard. Hell, puzzles that seem easy enough to one person will stump another for weeks until they finally give up and ask for help. Puzzles are hard. Hell, I'd go so far as to say good puzzles are harder than strategic depth.

Easy is sticking 30 mooks in a room, a chaingun on one end, and the directions to the player of "Go Nuts"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Also, why do you say to exclude adventures, but include Heavy Rain? It's an adventure game if I ever played one, albeit not in the "use pie on yeti" sense.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Eve online has a pretty detailed non-combative side to it. I think it'd be really neat treating the game as an RTS instead of a space combat sim.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Deux Ex: you can play through without killing or stunning anything but one man (at the nuclear silo). You can even get him to kill himself.
It's certainly an... interesting challenge.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Yeah.. I wouldn't count a pacifist run on a game. While Deus Ex may be somewhat of an exception due to it being designed to be *possible*, I.. still wouldn't count it. Not for what the original post is asking.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:My question is if there are games that are story driven (and therefore not racing, sports, music, etc.) whose main objective isn't to kill anything that moves

Well, relatively few games actually have "kill everything that moves" as an explicit objective. Generally it's "Collect the hidden papers from the Russian diplomat's office" or "collect the Urn of Velknir from the Woods of Sorrow" and there happen to be a billion things in your way which need to be killed.

Anyway, what about fighting games like Street Fighter or BlazBlue? Yeah, the whole game is about beating people up, but it's a fight to the defeat rather than the death. I'm not entirely sure whether you're looking for actual "no-kill" games, like in Pokemon where everything "faints", or if what you really want is "no-combat".

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

Why are you excluding large numbers of games that aren't about killing things and then complaining that too many games are about killing things?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Also, why do you say to exclude adventures, but include Heavy Rain? It's an adventure game if I ever played one, albeit not in the "use pie on yeti" sense.

Your exclusion genres exclude all but puzzle games almost. And idiotic facebook games.

Why did you list an adventure and a platform game as examples and then exclude them for current non-violent games anyway?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 am UTC

You could play Nethack as a pacifist. But that's one of the most difficult ways to play an already insanely difficult game.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 am UTC

Oh man, I'm an idiot for forgetting!
Uplink: Hacker Elite
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:39 am UTC

Phoenix Wright. People die and are killed in it but it's a non-violent game. Although now I notice this game is already mentioned.

Touhou all of them, especially Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler. Once I was playing Double Spoiler on the train, sitting next to an older lady who, after I finished and was packing up to get off commented about how nice and awesome the game was since it wasn't violent and it was very artistic (pretty and beautiful in her words).

There is technically fighting in Touhou (except in Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler) but it's closer to non-violent competitions (as no one dies from spellcard battles). Something like 1v1 dodgeball except against thousands and thousands of balls.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
balderduck wrote:My question is if there are games that are story driven (and therefore not racing, sports, music, etc.) whose main objective isn't to kill anything that moves

Well, relatively few games actually have "kill everything that moves" as an explicit objective. Generally it's "Collect the hidden papers from the Russian diplomat's office" or "collect the Urn of Velknir from the Woods of Sorrow" and there happen to be a billion things in your way which need to be killed.

Anyway, what about fighting games like Street Fighter or BlazBlue? Yeah, the whole game is about beating people up, but it's a fight to the defeat rather than the death. I'm not entirely sure whether you're looking for actual "no-kill" games, like in Pokemon where everything "faints", or if what you really want is "no-combat".

I wouldn't really call street figher story driven! :)

And I didn't say exclude adventuregames, far from it, I said how come games like Heavy Rain don't make their way onto the mainstream gaming market. Games like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango for example.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

..because Heavy Rain sucks?*

*Played the demo, found the notion of a game consisting of nothing but quicktime events horrifying.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

You can theoretically play Ikaruga without ever firing a shot since all the bosses get bored of not killing you after a bit of time and fly away.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Pacifist Runs Don't Count

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

I just started an adventure game called Gray Matter

It's from Jane Jensen (remember Gabriel Knight?)

So far it seems really good...will keep you posted

And heavy rain is heavily relying on quicktime events which is annoying, but it has a lot of other stuff too. Basically it's investigation and making choices that drives the game. It's like an adventuregame but with a downplayed puzzle element and a branching storyline.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

You mean the same Grey Matter mentioned in the OP?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

What about Katamari Damacy, anyone?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure rolling people up to turn them into stars kills them. :twisted:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

They're still wiggling. They're fine.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Seriously, it's a good one to mention and I think the first one, at least, sold pretty well.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

Hmmm I'm not sure if Katamari fits the description of a story driven game :)

Here's another idea

An Adventure game with a branching story and multiple solutions...how come no one's ever made that?

That's what I should do I'll be a millionare! I'll be admired like a god! Hailed as the man who changed video games forever!

And then sell out and make FPS with the same engine over and over!

And then I'll realize that money doesn't bring hapiness and kill myself in my huge empty mansion.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

Choice of Games. Story-driven adventure-ish game with "light RPG" elements with multiple endings that incidentally manages to have killing, only if you really push the game in that direction.

If it's on Rock, Paper, Shotgun it must be a game, right?

Or are you looking for Triple-A games in addition to your requirements?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:An Adventure game with a branching story and multiple solutions...how come no one's ever made that?
They do. All the time. While lots of people play them, they're in the minority. Because they have no graphics.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
balderduck wrote:An Adventure game with a branching story and multiple solutions...how come no one's ever made that?
They do. All the time. While lots of people play them, they're in the minority. Because they have no graphics.

Unless you're playing simulated interactive fiction
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 am UTC

balderduck wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Anyway, what about fighting games like Street Fighter or BlazBlue? Yeah, the whole game is about beating people up, but it's a fight to the defeat rather than the death. I'm not entirely sure whether you're looking for actual "no-kill" games, like in Pokemon where everything "faints", or if what you really want is "no-combat".

I wouldn't really call street figher story driven!

Eh, I've only played a couple of them so I can't say for sure, but a lot of fighting games have really complicated soap-opera-ish backstory and a story mode. I was under the impression that at least one of the Street Fighter games had this, due to Capcom's love of making the same game a dozen times with minor changes. Or possibly it was the Capcom vs SNK crossovers. Anyway, some games in the genre certainly do.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Ok so I forgot about text adventures... At least now I don't have to die alienated and alone (see 5 posts up)

Those choice game seem very interesting...will delve into them later on...

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

So I played one of those choice games...very interesting indeed...BUT NO SAVING???

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Farming Simulator 2011, the world's most recent first-person.... farmer?

Yeah, seriously, I poked it with a stick for a couple hours but.. farming, yeah, I loved Harvest Moon and its sequels. Awesome games. But this? It's really slow-paced. So much so that they have an 'autopilot' feature for the tractors when you're filling in large tracts of land with seed or whatever. And it doesn't even get into the more fun stuff like soil Ph balance or

I would recommend Harvest Moon over it any day of the week. You still have to think and strategize and plan, but there's always something to do. With FS2011, I spent more time catching up on my knitting than playing or thinking.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Return to “Gaming”