iOS/Android/Smartphone games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l

Re: iPhone (and other phone) games

Postby mike-l » Thu May 05, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

It actually wasn't a great game. I was surprised it won. I think it was only 37/40, but it was a 5/5 genre/type. Most of my games at the time were around 300/200/200/200.

I also won in year 20 with a sequel to the same game.

Unfortunately I've already started a new game+ and can't see stats anymore :(
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri May 06, 2011 4:40 am UTC

I don't think I got the stats any where near high enough on my best game (which got the runner-up trophy in year 19), but the game didn't interest me enough to wipe it and try again. :?

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Android owners should check out Grand Prix Story. It's a racing team simulator (you run the team, not drive) from the makers of Game Dev Story and Hot Springs Story, the former of which was really good, the latter maybe not as much. It'll probably hit iOS sooner or later if it hasn't already since the other two are on it. There's a Lite version that lets you play through the first year.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Game Dev Story was fun, ish, for a bit, but I can't imagine slapping a different theme or color palate on it would make me want to play the game again.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

I tried the demo of Hot Springs Story and enjoyed it enough to say "Alright, I'll drop $2.50 on this". I think it's different enough to be interesting while still having that same feel. Grand Prix Story didn't seem as interesting, but maybe I'll give it a try, pick it up if it goes on sale.

On 'beating' Game Dev Story, I don't know that it counts, but pulling up my file for my second game (I wiped it and started over)... I have won GotY twice. Once in year 15 and once in year 18. Interestingly, both were sequels to previous games. Of the past 31 games it shows for me, every single one has at least a 35 for review, with many being 37-38. A couple are 39, though I've never obtained that elusive 40.

I remember beating the game, then starting over, doing like a year, having a bad start, then wiping and restarting again. It really depends on how well you do as you first start the game. As mentioned before, I got to about year 10 and then everything I did was making Hall of Fame and selling great. My current game is at the start of Year 19, and I have $1,005,133.3K with almost nothing to drop it on and all my games release with stats over 150 in all categories, usually one getting up to 250-300. It's technically my first go by the game's standards, but I gained knowledge playing through once that helped me achieve that. I'm not sure if someone fresh to the game could really accomplish it.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

My second time through I won GotY in year 12 and 14-20 (I did a lot of contracts for research in year 13 I guess the 2 games I made weren't good enough). I don't know if it mattered, but I did a lot of advertising during those games. Some were sequels, some were not.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

androidstar

Postby androidstar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 am UTC

ANGRY BIRDS AND TALKING TOM AND LOUD NOISES! WHY ARE WE YELLING? - ST

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 am UTC

archeleus wrote:Forgot, I've Robot Unicorn Attack.

This is played on the PC. This shall not be played on the phone, for it is a game with which to stare at you or your friends/acquaintances macbook and drool down your chin as your score quickly approaches 200,000 per life. Bonus points if you do this during a road trip, at a party at a big mansion, with everyone watching.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

Have I/anyone else mentioned Tiny Wings? I love that game, it makes me smile and the birdy makes the most cheerful and heartwarming sounds as you play.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: iOS/Android/Smartphone games

Postby Felstaff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 am UTC

Changed the topic title to be more inclusive. I guess this also includes iPad games? Having whiled away many a battery on Plants vs. Zombies, I'm enjoying this handheld renaissance, where you don't have to spend forty bucks on a single game, yet still can possibly get the same level of enjoyment and deepness.

I'm currently addicting myself to Carcassonne, which is terribly quaint and highly enjoyable. I'm... not very good at it. Yet.

In other news, I've been playing Wooords; a highly satisfying fridge-magnet word game, where you make as many words as possible in the shortest space of time using 9 letters

tee hee hee
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

I've been playing Tiny Tower for awhile. It's free! Another World/Out of This World is also available on iOS, and the touch controls work reasonably well.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Anyone played Dungeon Raid? The combination of match 3 and roguelike RPG is dangerously addictive. Fortunately I play on the hardest difficulty, so games don't last too long before I die.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

I only just got into The Simpsons: Tapped Out.

I even created an Origin account for it. Origin!

Anyway, hit me up. You know my username!

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

*sigh* Nobody knows Milhouse's username.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Of course we do:
THRILLHO!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “Gaming”